Merriman / Moats....

Obviously a lot of people are ezxcited about the Bills getting Von Miller....to those? Where does he fit? If Merriman is healthy, Von Miller will not start over him - also, with Moats, don't we have a capable backup at that position? I know it's a big IF with "lights out", but the extension was signed...if we draft for need, wouldn't it make more sense taking a 3-4 DE or even...gulp...QB? Any thoughts - how does the line up work taking him?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sold on us getting the Merriman of a few years ago and would have a plan b in place. If Merriman is healthy my guess is he plays strong side. It would be a spirited camp battle between Miller and Moats. Moats might start at weakside, with Miller coming in on passing if Moats somehow beat out Miller for the job

well how much production have we gotten from Kelsay, Moats and Merriman? In a 3-4 the pressure comes from the outside backers and our pass rush is in desperate need of an upgrade. And they have not exactly done well against the run either. Kyle Williams earned his spot on defense. He is about the only one. Every other position should be up for grabs, may the best player win

If the Bills draft Von Miller he immediately becomes the best LB on our team. By a wide margin. Part of that is that our current LBs are putrid and the other part of it is that Miller is a great OLB. So fitting him somewhere won't even be an issue. If I'm the DC he will line up on the opposite side of our best DE (yeah, I know) in the 34 and on the weak side when we play 43.

GO BILLS!!!

Chris Kelsay gets paid a pretty penny too.

Yep. Merriman is getting 2.5M guaranteed in 2011 and Kelsay inked an extension paying him 28M over 5 years. Sure, CK probably won't play out that deal, but using the 3rd pick on Von Miller means a lot of money is tied up in the OLB position.

The ROLB is typically the pass rusher (going against a LT) and it'll be interesting to see who starts there. If Buffalo takes Miller, he needs to start from Day 1 at ROLB, although who plays LOLB is anyone's guess. Merriman and certainly Kelsay couldn't cover a TE to save their life.

Merriman was asked about Von Miller and he said "we don't need him." I wouldn't be surprised that conditional on him re-signing with the Bills, they agreed not to take a LB high.

I had to chuckle when I pictured that scenario taking place.

I'm excited to see more playing time from Moats, Batten (for the first time), and Miller (if we draft him)

Don't forget about Maybin.

:lol:

well how much production have we gotten from Kelsay, Moats and Merriman? In a 3-4 the pressure comes from the outside backers and our pass rush is in desperate need of an upgrade. And they have not exactly done well against the run either. Kyle Williams earned his spot on defense. He is about the only one. Every other position should be up for grabs, may the best player win

Moats & Merriman have 8 games between them as major parts of the Bills defense, all coming in Moats rookie season. Not sure it's fair to hold any of last years defensive performance against either of them.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Real talk, I can easily see them moving him to inside linebacker. Right now the roster has Coleman/Batten/Moats/Maybin/Merriman/Kelsay at the DE/OLB position. Now lets look at MLB, Poz & Davis, that's it. IF they draft Von, he's going to play inside and move outside on passing downs, also see a few of the OLB/DE I listed being cut at some point.

Last year the Bills scouts, post-draft interview, revealed that Jerry Hughes was a guy who they felt could play OLB or ILB. He was strictly an edge rusher in college, but they believed his athleticism would help him convert to any LB position. Just another perspective on what they may be thinking.

Edited by bouds

13 minutes in practice for Merriman, LOL.

Real talk, I can easily see them moving him to inside linebacker. Right now the roster has Coleman/Batten/Moats/Maybin/Merriman/Kelsay at the DE/OLB position. Now lets look at MLB, Poz & Davis, that's it. IF they draft Von, he's going to play inside and move outside on passing downs, also see a few of the OLB/DE I listed being cut at some point.

Last year the Bills scouts, post-draft interview, revealed that Jerry Hughes was a guy who they felt could play OLB or ILB. He was strictly an edge rusher in college, but they believed his athleticism would help him convert to any LB position. Just another perspective on what they may be thinking.

That's an interesting thought and IMO seems realistic.

Arthur Moats is replaceable as our starting OLB. I don't think we should just automatically assume that the job is his. He's a decent developing prospect that could add solid depth to the position. But I wouldn't go as far as saying the job is definitely his.