Whoever doesn't want a QB at #3 is dillusional

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We will not make the playoffs until we find our franchise QB. Its that simple. How many teams in the playoffs this year didnt have their franchise QB? Exactly, NONE! Sure, i would love to have Miller, or Dareus, Peterson, etc...., but they will NOT get us into the playoffs, and more importantly, win the championship. So we draft Miller, and next year we'll have 7 wins instead of 4, and w/o that QB, we will be stuck in mediocrity like the past 11 years! We must take a shot.

It's either Gabbert or Newton, that simple. I much rather prefer Newton, but he will most likely be gone to Carolina. If you want to build the defense, do it from rounds 2-7. The number 3 pick should be focused on getting the franchise QB we've been waiting for such a long time. Fitz is not a franchise QB, and for those who say he is, you are kidding yourself. Sure, i love his toughness, and competitiveness, but he will not get us where we want to be. Draft Gabbert or Newton, and build from there. We must take a shot this year.You Build defense all you want, you can have the best WR's in the league, the best RB, but w/o that franchise guy under centre, we will not hoist the super bowl. This pick is our chance, will we grasp it, or let it slip?

April 28 boys, mark it up!

I agree with the first several steps in your thought process. While Fitzpatrick is good enough to get you by, he's clearly not in the same category as Aaron Rodgers or the other elite QBs of the league. That's something that needs to change, especially if the Bills are serious about winning the Super Bowl. If there's a QB who's worth the third overall pick, you take him. That's a no-brainer. I see no possible room for dispute about that!

The problem is that it's not clear that there is a QB who's worth the third overall pick. I certainly wouldn't pick Newton there, and I'm really not in love with the idea of Gabbert at 3rd overall either. If there isn't a QB worthy of going third overall, the Bills should either trade down, or choose a player at another position instead. I'll grant that neither option is nearly as productive as taking a franchise quarterback would have been. But if there isn't really a franchise QB there, the absolute worst thing you can do is convince yourself that there is one there. Seeing what you want to see (rather than what's really there) is a big part of what's gotten the Bills into draft day trouble in the past.

I listened to a Vic Carucci show the other day. He was convinced that quarterbacks like Ponder will almost certainly be taken before the Bills' second round pick comes along. This means that trading back into the first round for such a quarterback is an option to be considered. Whether they move forward with such a plan depends on their evaluation of Ponder, of Gabbert, and on whether there are willing trade partners.

Vic Carucci was also convinced that the Bills would take Cam Newton if available. However, he said that the Panthers will likely take Newton first overall. If that's the case, he said we should expect to see the Bills take Von Miller third overall. I'm not pleased about that idea either. (If the Bills got him between 6th and 10th, it would be more palatable.)

The theme is going to be is Newton or Gabbert really a franchise guy? Gabbert would be the 3rd QB off the board in most drafts. Newton to me screams Vince Young (Freakish physical tools, but bad throwing motion, poor pocket presence and mentally immature) in a very bad way.

All in all I want a defensive difference maker with pick 3. I think that this team can win with Fitz he plays above his surrounding cast and his team responds to his play. If Luck had declared or there was another top QB out there I would say go QB but this years draft class (Which I thought would have been better than last years) is disappointing.

Only about 50% of 1st round QBs become solid starters in the NFL. I would guess that this year the odds are longer. None of these guys seems like a sure-fire hit. Do we really want to spend #3 on a 3 to 1 long shot? And then spend 3-4 years fooling around with the guy because we want to give him every chance in the world because he's a #3?

I realize most franchise QBs are picked early but this is not the year to go QB at #3.

Nothing is more embarrassing then not being able to stop the run. We are dead last at stopping the run. So lets draft a QB who will sit on their ass for the year or two and we can be last in the NFL again. Lets ignore front 7 help, especially when it is the deepest DL draft possibly ever. Lets ignore are defensive problems, and draft a QB(Newton will be a bust IMO), then we can set our selves up to draft Andrew Luck next year

AND SO WILL GABBERT, IMO!!

We will not make the playoffs until we find our franchise QB. Its that simple. How many teams in the playoffs this year didnt have their franchise QB? Exactly, NONE! Sure, i would love to have Miller, or Dareus, Peterson, etc...., but they will NOT get us into the playoffs, and more importantly, win the championship. So we draft Miller, and next year we'll have 7 wins instead of 4, and w/o that QB, we will be stuck in mediocrity like the past 11 years! We must take a shot.

It's either Gabbert or Newton, that simple. I much rather prefer Newton, but he will most likely be gone to Carolina. If you want to build the defense, do it from rounds 2-7. The number 3 pick should be focused on getting the franchise QB we've been waiting for such a long time. Fitz is not a franchise QB, and for those who say he is, you are kidding yourself. Sure, i love his toughness, and competitiveness, but he will not get us where we want to be. Draft Gabbert or Newton, and build from there. We must take a shot this year.You Build defense all you want, you can have the best WR's in the league, the best RB, but w/o that franchise guy under centre, we will not hoist the super bowl. This pick is our chance, will we grasp it, or let it slip?

I think the case you make that the Bills MUST pick a QB at #3 falls apart on 2 points when one looks at reality.

1. If you look at the 12 teams which made the playoffs last year then it would only be delusional to advocate acquiring your franchise QB through some other means than drafting a QB at #3 if all or at least the vast majority of these 12 franchise QBs were acquired with a very high first round pick.

This is simply not the case as the vast majority of these QBs were acquired from other teams which drafted them pr in later round picks.

I think that we are more likely to get a franchise QB from getting a QB capable of leading the team to the playoffs through methods like FA (how the Saints acquired Brees), trade (how KC acquired Cassel), through a late round draft pick (how the Pats acquired Brady), or even if you insist on drafting a 1st rounder the Ravens acquired Flacco much later in the 1st than the #3 or the Pack acquired Rogers who sat on the bench for several years behind Favre later in the first round.

The Bills can quite likely take the step you call delusional of trading down in the 1st from picking a QB at #3 and still get a first rounder plus extra quality help by trading down.

Steps you label as delusional have proven to be effective at getting a QB at least capable of leading a team to the playoffs or of becoming eventually a franchise QN.

2. The rubber hits the road with the actual player and by claiming it is delusional to not draft a QB in essence you are saying draft Newton or Gabbert.

Which one is it?

It appears likely NC is gonna grab one of these players so do you advocate trading up to get the player you have chosen.

If instead you choose another QB, it appears likely that if NC goes one QB or the other that the Bills or Cincy is gonna take the other and trading down to still get this other QB you have identified besides Newton or Gabbert becomes possible.

Why is it delusional to get the QB you want in the 1st AND also extra value by trading down?

If anyone is delusional it is you.

Nothing is more embarrassing then not being able to stop the run. We are dead last at stopping the run. So lets draft a QB who will sit on their ass for the year or two and we can be last in the NFL again. Lets ignore front 7 help, especially when it is the deepest DL draft possibly ever. Lets ignore are defensive problems, and draft a QB(Newton will be a bust IMO), then we can set our selves up to draft Andrew Luck next year

I usually agree with everything I've seen you post, but I'd have to disagree a bit here. If nix and gailey like a certain QB , they'd be foolish to pass IMO. Who cares if they so and learn a year if they can develop into a stud, it's a no brainer. Obviously no one knows if they'll be a stud, but if the FO likes one, draft him. We're rebuilding. Next years schedule is brutal, we most likely will be picking top 10 again next year, no matter who we draft.

The fact that this years draft is deep in front 7 solidifies our chances of drafting some guys later that can help us. We need a real deal QB more than anything. We've had good defenses since Kelly retired and we've done nothing with them. I'm not saying that we have to go qb, but (Beating the dead horse) if they like a qb, draft him. If they pass on one, i hope it's because they don't like the chances of one developing, rather than because they wanna fix the d. You need multiple players to fix the defense, and one to fox the QB (if it's the right pick). I trust nix and gailey more than myself or tsw.

Edited by NewEra

I'm fine with a QB if Chan and Buddy like one, but first round pick QBs Drew Brees and Tom Brady say hi...oh wait.

And you could have also pointed out that of the 12 playoff teams, only three had top 3 picks at QB and two had sixth rounders.

Clearly there is a trend to succeed with first round star quarterbacks, and I think that we should likely use one of our two first round choices this year (considering our second rounder as a very late first) or our first rounder next year on a QB, but that doesn't lock us in to picking one at #3 if the right guy isn't there. So if Chan and Buddy don't like Newton or Gabbert to a #3 level, I don't think we should reach and rush and take a Joey Harrington. Many more first round QBs were NOT in the playoffs in 2010 than were, so taking a guy because we have to instead of because we think he is going to be the right guy, is just a "dillusional".

I'm fine with a QB if Chan and Buddy like one, but first round pick QBs Drew Brees and Tom Brady say hi...oh wait.

And you could have also pointed out that of the 12 playoff teams, only three had top 3 picks at QB and two had sixth rounders.

Clearly there is a trend to succeed with first round star quarterbacks, and I think that we should likely use one of our two first round choices this year (considering our second rounder as a very late first) or our first rounder next year on a QB, but that doesn't lock us in to picking one at #3 if the right guy isn't there. So if Chan and Buddy don't like Newton or Gabbert to a #3 level, I don't think we should reach and rush and take a Joey Harrington. Many more first round QBs were NOT in the playoffs in 2010 than were, so taking a guy because we have to instead of because we think he is going to be the right guy, is just a "dillusional".

"many more 1st round QBs were NOT in the playoffs in 2010 than were"....

Only 12 teams make the playoffs. 20 don't. I think the chances of that happening are pretty good. Of the top 14 teams in the league last year, 10 were led by 1st round QBs. Brees (I believe he was the 1st pick in the 2nd round), Brady, Cassel and Hasselback (should Seattle even count? Playoffs by default, even though they defeated the saints) are the 4 non 1st rounders. Of the 12 worst teams in the league, only 4 HAD qbs taken in the 1st round (Cinci, SF, tennesee and Washington. While drafting a QB in the 1st round doesn't guarantee success by any means (nothing guarantees success), chances are, if you don't have a 1st round qb, you're either not gonna be very good or you gotta get really lucky and hope a late rounder develops. Not too many great QBs are on the market.

Edited by NewEra

I don't understand the mentality of some, as if picking a QB at 3 is the only option that comes with risk. Just as many defensive players flop as QB's. Kansas City wasted top 5 picks in the past few rounds on Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson, both of which were considered "safe" in the eyes of draft experts.

Just look at the Bills roster and you'll see a bunch of first round defensive players who either A) have failed to distinguish themselves (Whitner, McKelvin) or B) Flat out bust.

So, if you take Von Miller and he winds up being Aaron Maybin part two, does that not set your franchise back? If you take Patrick Peterson, and he ends up being just another CB with great athletic ability, a Philip Buchanon type ,does that not set your franchise back?

Just like any other draft, 5 years from now you'll look at this first round, see 5-6 super stars, 10-12 more pretty good players, and the other 15 or so will either be on different teams or out of the NFL all together.

At some point the Bills need to take a shot to get better. Von Miller, for as dominant as he was, was on one of the worst defenses in all of college football.

Need I remind some here that in 2005, the Bills were ranked 5th in the league in total defense and still finished with a 5-11 record. Need I also remind some here that in 2007, the Bills were ranked 2nd in the league in total defense and still only managed a 7-9 record. Having a good defense does not automatically equal success. So for those saying we shouldn't draft a QB because we need to fix the defense, please keep in mind that in today's current league, having a great defense will only get you so far. In our case, having a good defense in those 2 years only got us a combined 12-20 record.

*This does not mean I think we should draft Newton or Gabbert. All I'm saying is that we should not rule out the possibility of drafting a QB because our defense was bad last year. If Nix and Chan think they can get a franchise QB at #3, then I'm all for it. Even if he has to sit for a year.

Edited by Bangarang

Need I remind some here that in 2005, the Bills were ranked 5th in the league in total defense and still finished with a 5-11 record. Need I also remind some here that in 2007, the Bills were ranked 2nd in the league in total defense and still only managed a 7-9 record. Having a good defense does not automatically equal success. So for those saying we shouldn't draft a QB because we need to fix the defense, please keep in mind that in today's current league, having a great defense will only get you so far. In our case, having a good defense in those 2 years only got us a combined 12-20 record.

*This does not mean I think we should draft Newton or Gabbert. All I'm saying is that we should not rule out th8e possibility of drafting a QB because our defense was bad last year. If Nix and Chan think they can get a franchise QB at #3, then I'm all for it. Even if he has to sit for a year.

Nice post. Those that completely disagree and think that his post is hogwash are as narrow minded as they come.

Newton yes, if not, go defense

I don't understand the mentality of some, as if picking a QB at 3 is the only option that comes with risk. Just as many defensive players flop as QB's. Kansas City wasted top 5 picks in the past few rounds on Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson, both of which were considered "safe" in the eyes of draft experts.

Whatever player they take at 3 he has to be a guy that they believe in 100%. Position doesn't play into it. That player may still bust, but they have to be 100% convinced.

I think the case you make that the Bills MUST pick a QB at #3 falls apart on 2 points when one looks at reality.

1. If you look at the 12 teams which made the playoffs last year then it would only be delusional to advocate acquiring your franchise QB through some other means than drafting a QB at #3 if all or at least the vast majority of these 12 franchise QBs were acquired with a very high first round pick.

This is simply not the case as the vast majority of these QBs were acquired from other teams which drafted them pr in later round picks.

I think that we are more likely to get a franchise QB from getting a QB capable of leading the team to the playoffs through methods like FA (how the Saints acquired Brees), trade (how KC acquired Cassel), through a late round draft pick (how the Pats acquired Brady), or even if you insist on drafting a 1st rounder the Ravens acquired Flacco much later in the 1st than the #3 or the Pack acquired Rogers who sat on the bench for several years behind Favre later in the first round.

The Bills can quite likely take the step you call delusional of trading down in the 1st from picking a QB at #3 and still get a first rounder plus extra quality help by trading down.

Steps you label as delusional have proven to be effective at getting a QB at least capable of leading a team to the playoffs or of becoming eventually a franchise QN.

2. The rubber hits the road with the actual player and by claiming it is delusional to not draft a QB in essence you are saying draft Newton or Gabbert.

Which one is it?

It appears likely NC is gonna grab one of these players so do you advocate trading up to get the player you have chosen.

If instead you choose another QB, it appears likely that if NC goes one QB or the other that the Bills or Cincy is gonna take the other and trading down to still get this other QB you have identified besides Newton or Gabbert becomes possible.

Why is it delusional to get the QB you want in the 1st AND also extra value by trading down?

If anyone is delusional it is you.

What?

NYJ - drafted Sanchez with their #1

IND- Manning

Balt - Flacco 1st round

KC - Cassel - trade

NO - Brees - FA

GB- Rodgers 1st round

Philly - Kolb rd 2 Vick FA

Pitt- Ben 1st round

NE- Brady 6th

ATL - round 1 #3 overall

Chicago - Cutler trade

Seattle - Hasselbeck trade

So 6/12 QBs were acwuired by trade and one was taken in the late rounds.

THat means 6/12 were drafted by their current team and all but one of those was a 1st rounder.

I have no idea how you equate that to the vast majority of playoff qb's were acquired by trade or in late rounds. Please look a little bit before you make a post that can be so easily shown to be wrong.

Edited by K Gun Special

The good teams that compete for championships for a decade have a monopoly on the elite quarterbacks. This is not rocket surgery. Take a chance, rather than rebuild to 7-9. The goal is to win a championship, right? The way most of you talk, you'd assume our goal is just to not embarrass ourselves.

THAT is embarrassing.

if there was a franchise QB to pick, then you'd have a point, but if you think Gabbert is a can't miss franchise QB you stand alone there amongst the experts, and if you think Cam Newton is the franchise QB you seek, then I'll go ahead and say it is you who is delusional. He'll be lucky to start for the Rough Riders in 3 years.

“Call something at Auburn that’s a little verbal,” Gruden said, obviously knowing the answer to the question. “What would be a little verbal? Any recollection on that?

Newton: “Um.”

“Gimme something,” Gruden said. “What’s an Auburn play sound like?”

“I mean, you’re putting me on the — on the spot,” Newton said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jon-gruden-puts-cam-newton-on-the-spot/