Don Banks Mock Draft

The closer the draft approaches, the more I'm thinking like this: there are the guys like Dareus, Von Miller, Peterson who are pretty safe picks - certain to be consistently good for a long time, one of whom we'll have a shot at, but, there are also guys in just about every draft who are so good they almost redefine the position, or at least stand above the rest of the players at that position - guys like Brady, Manning, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Bruce Smith was a great example, or Lawrence Taylor - guys that alone make the team stronger - I'd say Green Bay's Clay Matthews and the Steeler's Palumala(?) are more modern examples, too.

Anyway, when I look at our roster, there are a lot of role players, guys that will play hard, and a good foundation is beginning, but with that fist pick, it would be nice if we could land a player who will really be a one-of-a-kind talent, and QB is the position, Cam Newton specifically, that comes to mind. I'm not saying him necessarily, but he makes a good example of the type of incredible talent we should be looking for. I recently read an article on Newton from a sports writer who was following his time at Auburn, and this guy was just gushing about how much of a Super Man Newton was amongst othewise very good competition - examples of him running for over 150 yards like 6 times, I think, and one time leaping like 7 yards through the air into the endzone - descriptions of a talent that could translate into one of those players who could give our team a chance to win every time we walk out onto the field - and, I think he is who Nix was referring to when he made those comments about getting that kind of QB.

With Newton comes risk. He probably will be gone by 3, too. So, is there another player or players who might fit that type of explosive, once in a generation type of mold? Fairley seems like he might be that good, eventually, and he is projected to have dropped, now, all the way to maybe 10 or 12. Quinn?

I know, it's a pretty general statement - that we should maybe try to get a superstar, but I think you can understand what I'm getting at - that I hope we find not just an excellent pro, but an allpro, game changer - and we should take the risk to attempt to get the reward, because as it is, the best of the best aren't lining up to come to Buffalo via F.A.

as much as i like fitz. BG is a upgrade and the more i feel like it should be the right pick and then taking defense the rest of the way but not ignoring talent that falls in our lap and maybe get a TE in free agency.

The closer the draft approaches, the more I'm thinking like this: there are the guys like Dareus, Von Miller, Peterson who are pretty safe picks - certain to be consistently good for a long time, one of whom we'll have a shot at, but, there are also guys in just about every draft who are so good they almost redefine the position, or at least stand above the rest of the players at that position - guys like Brady, Manning, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Bruce Smith was a great example, or Lawrence Taylor - guys that alone make the team stronger - I'd say Green Bay's Clay Matthews and the Steeler's Palumala(?) are more modern examples, too.

Anyway, when I look at our roster, there are a lot of role players, guys that will play hard, and a good foundation is beginning, but with that fist pick, it would be nice if we could land a player who will really be a one-of-a-kind talent, and QB is the position, Cam Newton specifically, that comes to mind. I'm not saying him necessarily, but he makes a good example of the type of incredible talent we should be looking for. I recently read an article on Newton from a sports writer who was following his time at Auburn, and this guy was just gushing about how much of a Super Man Newton was amongst othewise very good competition - examples of him running for over 150 yards like 6 times, I think, and one time leaping like 7 yards through the air into the endzone - descriptions of a talent that could translate into one of those players who could give our team a chance to win every time we walk out onto the field - and, I think he is who Nix was referring to when he made those comments about getting that kind of QB.

With Newton comes risk. He probably will be gone by 3, too. So, is there another player or players who might fit that type of explosive, once in a generation type of mold? Fairley seems like he might be that good, eventually, and he is projected to have dropped, now, all the way to maybe 10 or 12. Quinn?

I know, it's a pretty general statement - that we should maybe try to get a superstar, but I think you can understand what I'm getting at - that I hope we find not just an excellent pro, but an allpro, game changer - and we should take the risk to attempt to get the reward, because as it is, the best of the best aren't lining up to come to Buffalo via F.A.

Good post..I enjoyed reading it! I think one thing is certain in this draft particuliary, and that is nothing is for certain. Cam Newton has unbelievable athletic ability but yet there are red flags, Blaine Gabbert don't have the red flags, and he has many positive intangibles, except he doesn't have the resume Newton has. Nick Fairley has talent, but he takes plays off, and has some red flags. Ryan Mallet can throw a tight, fast, spiral, but he's got the legs of Drew Blesdoe, Da'Quan Bowers may be one of the most talented players, but his pro day suffered because of his injury. A.J. Green is an awesome receiver but he had a 9 in the wonderlick test which could help him slide some. Von Miller has it all, but I'm nervous because of the Maybin experiment! Hmmmmmmmm, after thinking about it..the only one I haven't heard or thought anything negative about at all is Patrick Peterson! I don't even want a CB for the Bills, but he may be the safest pick in the draft if their is such a animal. He may also be a future all-pro player who will be highly regarded with the likes you mentioned in your post like Bruce Smith...and the other perrenial top performers! I may have to reconsider my mock after my post!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Didn't see this posted. Banks' new mock.

Link

but I still think that the Bills are targeting Locker/Dalton for their 2nd round pick.[/quote]

Whether this actually occurs or not, at this point you are simply pulling this out of your ass.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

And much as it hurts to say it, i agree with ESPN as it stands now. 1-Newton, 2-Dareus, 3-Miller.

Not mad at all if those 3 picks go as predicted there.

More and more reports are suggesting Carolina is leaning heavily towards Newton. Personally i have no problem with Cam being off the board when we pick.

as much as i like fitz. BG is a upgrade and the more i feel like it should be the right pick and then taking defense the rest of the way but not ignoring talent that falls in our lap and maybe get a TE in free agency.

or Rudolph in the second.

And much as it hurts to say it, i agree with ESPN as it stands now. 1-Newton, 2-Dareus, 3-Miller.

Not mad at all if those 3 picks go as predicted there.

More and more reports are suggesting Carolina is leaning heavily towards Newton. Personally i have no problem with Cam being off the board when we pick.

will be just as excited about this as who our fisrt pick will be (unless it's Newton)

Man, why is it that these NFL media types just don't know what the heck to do with Blaine Gabbert? Have you ever seen so much indecision over a supposed top QB? In GBN's fan poll, he didn't go off the board till Washington at pick 10.

My guess is that Gabbert goes to San Francisco. Harbaugh's recent praise of Alex Smith is classic smokescreen stuff. I think Harbaugh loves Gabbert and he's doing his best to not show it.

What gets me when I look at mock drafts like these is that they don't really look long and hard enough at the particular team needs. The Buffalo Bills need a run stopper-Darius- they need a pass rusher-Von Miller-they need some O linemen- they need a TE who can actually block and be a receiving threat.

IMO the biggest area of need is at DT and stopping the run, but wouldn't be upset if the Bills go pass rusher with Miller. If both guys are gone I'd draft Peterson before I'd draft a QB. All three will be pro bowlers- Darius-Miller-Peterson, so any one of those three work for me

None of the QB's in this years draft grade good enough to be drafted in the top 10, its only because of a desperate need that any will go before 10. BUT! considering the Bills dumped both Edwards and Brohm and currently have no adequate back up QB I can see them using a #2 on a QB.

The only problem with that is are they going to be like the Miami Dolphins who have drafted a QB with that #2 draft pick 3 years in a row, John Beck-Chade Henne-Pat White, and that last guy reminds me of why running QB's suck at the NFL level.

What gets me when I look at mock drafts like these is that they don't really look long and hard enough at the particular team needs.

That is for sure, any and every Don Banks draft.

Over-valuing the QB position in a weak draft is how Alex Smith & JaMarcus Russell go #1.

Over-valuing the QB position in a weak draft is how Alex Smith & JaMarcus Russell go #1.

Yup. Draft D and let's start improving against the run and get after the passer like good teams do. I'd roll the dice on a QB at #3 if I really thought they were the real deal. These guys are great athletes, but so was Rob Johnson, Vince Young, yadda yadda.

As of now, Arizona is giving the hard sell that they don't want Gabbert, which makes me relatively certain that they do.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that the top 5 picks will be:

Newton

Dareus

Miller

Green

Gabbert

Maybe not in that order, but that's what I think.

Good post..I enjoyed reading it! I think one thing is certain in this draft particuliary, and that is nothing is for certain. Cam Newton has unbelievable athletic ability but yet there are red flags, Blaine Gabbert don't have the red flags, and he has many positive intangibles, except he doesn't have the resume Newton has. Nick Fairley has talent, but he takes plays off, and has some red flags. Ryan Mallet can throw a tight, fast, spiral, but he's got the legs of Drew Blesdoe, Da'Quan Bowers may be one of the most talented players, but his pro day suffered because of his injury. A.J. Green is an awesome receiver but he had a 9 in the wonderlick test which could help him slide some. Von Miller has it all, but I'm nervous because of the Maybin experiment! Hmmmmmmmm, after thinking about it..the only one I haven't heard or thought anything negative about at all is Patrick Peterson! I don't even want a CB for the Bills, but he may be the safest pick in the draft if their is such a animal. He may also be a future all-pro player who will be highly regarded with the likes you mentioned in your post like Bruce Smith...and the other perrenial top performers! I may have to reconsider my mock after my post!

I am thinking Patrick Peterson right now. Or letting the world know, San Francisco wants him bad, if they think we want him, we may be able to trade back with them, and still have a top seven pick.

[

quote name='sllib olaffub' timestamp='1302831020' post='2141172]
writer who was following his time at Auburn, and this guy was just gushing about how much of a Super Man Newton was amongst othewise very good competition - examples of him running for over 150 yards like 6 times, I think, and one time leaping like 7 yards through the air into the endzone - descriptions of a talent that could translate into one of those players who could give our team a chance to win every time we walk out onto the field - and, I think he is who Nix was referring to when he made those comments about getting that kind of QB.

With Newton comes risk. He probably will be gone by 3, too.

Since we've had nothing else to think or talk about, I've gone back and forth on Newton, but it's hard to ignore what he did.

I know a player's college stats don't necessarily mean much in determining how he'll do in the NFL (for good & bad) but Gabbert had a pedestrian 16 TD passes in 2010. Newton's 50 total TDs are elite numbers, especially for a player in the SEC.

Add to this that he took a team to the national title that nobody picked to contend and these credentials are hard to overlook. Sure, Gino Torretta was a Heisman winner who took his team to the title but it's hard to compare Gino to Cam.

I would not be disappointed in the Bills drafting Cam Newton.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

I think at this point , I really don't care who they pick. Whoever it is , it will be a top quality prospect.

Agreed, don't care who they pick but the prospect has to turn out to be a top quality player. Can't afford another miss.