Lights Out?

Shawne Merriman Twitted information to his new website in order to advertise "Lights Out" T-shirts.

Apparently, He feels like he'll be able to bring the pain this season and return to some form of Lights Out. I remain Dubious to say the least. Maybe he'll go TWO practices before a season injury.

From the Twitter:

shawnemerriman Shawne Merriman

Get your Lights Out gear now on www.Shawnemerriman.com

Shawne Merriman Twitted information to his new website in order to advertise "Lights Out" T-shirts.

Apparently, He feels like he'll be able to bring the pain this season and return to some form of Lights Out. I remain Dubious to say the least. Maybe he'll go TWO practices before a season injury.

From the Twitter:

Who really buys this stuff? Besides his friends and family , I don't see the average NFL fan buying "Lights Out" gear.

From the Twitter:

I hope I am wrong but I still have a gut feeling that Merriman will never play a regular season down for the Bills and we threw that money away. He hasn't done anything note worthy since getting off the juice and ruining his knee. I think the lights are out for good.

Sounds like a last ditch effort to make a couple bucks off of past glory. Who sells t-shirts promoting themselves when they haven't done anything in what 3 years? Sell t-shirts after you get back on the field and do something.

Edited by PDaDdy

I hope I am wrong but I still have a gut feeling that Merriman will never play a regular season down for the Bills and we threw that money away. He hasn't done anything note worthy since getting off the juice and ruining his knee. I think the lights are out for good.

Sounds like a last ditch effort to make a couple bucks off of past glory. Who sells t-shirts promoting themselves when they haven't done anything in what 3 years? Sell t-shirts after you get back on the field and do something.

Lol, "I think the lights are out for good" too. I sure hope I'm wrong. If we got 5 sacks out of him this year I'd be amazed. I predict 5 tackles.

WE did not throw any of OUR money away for Merriman. The Bills after evaluating his physical status felt it was worth the risk to sign him before another team signed him and if he can play at even 3/4 of his former self then it will be a Bills' coup. If he doesn't play then most of the money that does not come from OUR pockets will not get paid from Ralph Wilson's funds either.

I get so irritated when this board screams for every reject from other teams and here we sign someone who if healthy will help the team. Is it possible that we had the inside track because of Buddy Nix ... sure looks like it. Is Merriman being the good team citizen? Yes, he is.

Are there any reasons to be ticked off that we signed him ... it didn't prevent the Bills from taking other actions related to available players.

It only seems that those who are mad are those who think that their last spare change for Starbucks was used to sign him.

I say GO BILLS ... and would love to see LIGHTS OUT terrorizing the opposition because if he does then those shirts will move ...

WE did not throw any of OUR money away for Merriman. The Bills after evaluating his physical status felt it was worth the risk to sign him before another team signed him and if he can play at even 3/4 of his former self then it will be a Bills' coup. If he doesn't play then most of the money that does not come from OUR pockets will not get paid from Ralph Wilson's funds either.

I get so irritated when this board screams for every reject from other teams and here we sign someone who if healthy will help the team. Is it possible that we had the inside track because of Buddy Nix ... sure looks like it. Is Merriman being the good team citizen? Yes, he is.

Are there any reasons to be ticked off that we signed him ... it didn't prevent the Bills from taking other actions related to available players.

It only seems that those who are mad are those who think that their last spare change for Starbucks was used to sign him.

I say GO BILLS ... and would love to see LIGHTS OUT terrorizing the opposition because if he does then those shirts will move ...

Our LB Corps could use the help.

While I agree with the OP in that I don't think Merriman will play much if at all this season, I agree with you as well. I am happy we re- signed him. We didn't pay him a lot (around 2.2 per I think, I may be wrong), and IF he does turn out to be healthy, he is well worth the money. It's a boom or bust situation IMO, and the fact that we didn't waste a pick, only money, makes it well worth it for this team. I'm rooting for him bigtime, but I think his career may be over. I hope he proves me wrong and we get to see his sack dance on many occasions this year and in the future.

I don't see anything wrong with it, maybe he is a little arrogant but a guy who plays that position probably should be.

Let's consider it that he is building enthusiasm and getting fans talking about the coming season.

I hope he is healthy this year and develops his confidence back. He has been well behaved. So quiet i forgot that was a talked about issue when we got him.

We have to trust the front office on him. He knows it is THE make or break year for his career. That must be a motivator i would think.

Maybe i will purchase a t shirt if he makes it through St. John Fisher!

OR (just to play devil's advocate) he's feeling like he's fully recovered from his leg issues and in the best shape of his life and is anticipating a return to form. In this scenario, why not set up the business and wheel out the goods in advance of football? This way he doesn't have to "play catch up" during the season.

The Bills after evaluating his physical status felt it was worth the risk to sign him before another team signed him and if he can play at even 3/4 of his former self then it will be a Bills' coup.

I get so irritated when this board screams for every reject from other teams and here we sign someone who if healthy will help the team. Is it possible that we had the inside track because of Buddy Nix ... sure looks like it.

I have no idea if Merriman will ever be even a shadow of the player he once was. But I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Just like the question of where to draft DaQuan Bowers…there's often a risk/reward in signing players.

The Bills chose to be aggressive and proactive with Merriman. It might not work out or they could end up looking like geniuses…or something in between.

But I agree with your last point…last September lots of people here were calling for the Bills to pursue medical question mark offensive tackles Jared Gaither or Jammal Brown…players at a position of need who were also damaged goods. Gaither didn't play last year and Brown had a mediocre season.

I surely hope that none of those who wanted the Bills to pursue Gaither or Brown are now criticizing the signing of Shawne Merriman.

From the Twitter:

Does he get any royalties from the FX series of the same name??

From the Twitter:

The only pain he is likely to bring is another bad knee, or a quad tear...I hope I am wrong, but I am not too excited about this guy. Funny, and I realize it is the off season, during a lock-out, but when I think of the 2011 Buffalo Bills, Merriman doesn't even cross my mind...it would be cool to be pleasantly surprised for a change, about one of these reclamation projects.

Big thumbs up !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .................

u rock shory ! "starbux" ROFL. :D

you are an example of why it's so amazing to be counted as a bills fan, especially after all these years. ok, i sound overly sentimental lol, but who isn't about their team?

Keep the faith bro, i am totally behind u.

~AS

Now this is a funny sentence.

Perhaps you didn't realize that Merriman is a "reject" from another team.

I have to disagree with you on that, my guess is he will make it to the second quarter of the first game before he is done for the season. I do agree, what a waste of money. He has been washed up for abotut 5 years, and hurt for about 4 of those years when added up. Good thing Nix didn't assist in drafting Joey Harrington, Akili Smith or Matt Leinert or the Bills might have given one of them a couple year deal too.

I get so irritated when this board screams for every reject from other teams LIKE SHAWN MERRIMAN, and here we sign someone who if healthy will help the team. Is it possible that we had the inside track because of Buddy Nix ... sure looks like it. Is Merriman being the good team citizen? Yes, he is.

Initially, from the press reports after the waiver signing occurred, there was a great deal of speculation/controversy that Lights Out did not want to be a BILL and wouldn't play in Buffalo. The public got the impression that he felt he was too good for the likes of the Bills. The injury 10 mins into his first practice only fueled the speculation further.

Merriman has a high opinion of himself, irrelevant of the production or lack thereof in the last 3-4 years. In following him on Twitter, I get the feeling that this opinion has softened over time, and he might realize that this is likely the last chance he'll have at reviving his career. I think he is finally accepting what the perceptions of him, his performance, and his Injury history really are from around the League. If he fails in Buffalo, who will want him after that? The opportunities to make plays and show the NFL that you aren't finished are limitless in Buffalo, and it's just the place where he could establish himself to dominance again. Given the level of talent around him - he could truly shine and become a star once again.

With that said, I believe he is going to make every effort to play and condition himself to be physically ready and to minimize the potential of further injuries.

You guys that think he's done because of an injury are hilarious. You act like today's athletes don't come back from injuries. Why anyone of us would pretend to know more about his injury over the Buffalo Bills medical staff and Front Office is comical.

"I have a gut feeling he won't play a regular season down, and we threw that money away"

The Bills felt good enough about it based on medical exams to extend his contract, but your gut tells you they're wrong? How ridiculous.

My gut tells me that Merriman will have a very good year for the Bills and will play in most if not all the games and finish with at least 8 sacks.

:thumbsup:

You guys that think he's done because of an injury are hilarious. You act like today's athletes don't come back from injuries. Why anyone of us would pretend to know more about his injury over the Buffalo Bills medical staff and Front Office is comical.

"I have a gut feeling he won't play a regular season down, and we threw that money away"

The Bills felt good enough about it based on medical exams to extend his contract, but your gut tells you they're wrong? How ridiculous.

I hear what you are saying, but Merriman has had a multitude of injuries...sure, a lot of guys come back from injuries, while others just keep pull, break and strain things, until their career is done...Merriman is close to that point now. Like I said earlier, it would be awesome if he could return to his pre-suspension/pre-injury roll, form...but I think the Bills would be foolish to bank on it.

While I agree with the OP in that I don't think Merriman will play much if at all this season, I agree with you as well. I am happy we re- signed him. We didn't pay him a lot (around 2.2 per I think, I may be wrong), and IF he does turn out to be healthy, he is well worth the money. It's a boom or bust situation IMO, and the fact that we didn't waste a pick, only money, makes it well worth it for this team. I'm rooting for him bigtime, but I think his career may be over. I hope he proves me wrong and we get to see his sack dance on many occasions this year and in the future.

why people think he cannot be healthy is beyond me. now all the geniuses on this board know more than our team doctors who actually examined him and gave buddy the ok on his injury front but what do they know compared to all the message board GM's on this stupid board who never even saw the guy.

i just dont get it. please explain why he cant be healthy. could it not be that his injury was reaggravated last year in SD maybe because he tried to come back to soon.

my God give the guy a break and the bills medical staff also.

i hope like hell the guy is healthy so all you know it all pessimists all look like fools.

One of the statements he made a way back was that the Bills staff identified his injuries and has allowed him to recuperate fully and get the right rehab for his nagging problems that never healed. This was after his first mistep as a Buffalo in practice.

I do not recall the rest of the details in his quote. But i have thought and said more than once.. he knows what this year means. He has been given a gift from the Buffalo FO and i expect him to make every effort to repay it.

Even if he doesnt have the burst he once had, I still think he could be a viable option at Inside LB. He ahs the size and awareness, and his lack of explosion wouldnt hurt him so badly. You dont have the kind of success he had by just being a freak of nature - he understands the game.

Even if he doesnt have the burst he once had, I still think he could be a viable option at Inside LB. He ahs the size and awareness, and his lack of explosion wouldnt hurt him so badly. You dont have the kind of success he had by just being a freak of nature - he understands the game.

Not really buying that idea, Thone. Merriman's problems are all in his legs AFAIK, and moving him inside to be a thumper and play downhill against the interior of the OL on gimpy legs tied together with rubber bands doesn't seem like a recipe for success. I don't really want him "sprinting" around trying to cover the deep middle 3rd of the field either, do you?

1. "hilarious"? Merriman himself has shown it is very dificult to come back from a severe injury.

2. "comical"? Merriman was reinjured very soon (his first steps on the field) after being cleared by the Bills medical staff and FO.

1. "hilarious"? Merriman himself has shown it is very dificult to come back from a severe injury.

2. "comical"? Merriman was reinjured very soon (his first steps on the field) after being cleared by the Bills medical staff and FO.

I think calling the Bills FO and outstanding medical staff inept is a stretch. It's at the very least more plausible to believe in them than to doubt them.

Merriman is definitely a gamble, but aren't most things in the NFL? Many on here may have it right and he becomes a wasted effort for the Bills but consider this. He's had a lot of time to heal and get conditioned and he also is at the make or break point in his career as already stated, which in my opinion makes him a serious threat if he truly is and can stay healthy. Here's hoping he makes a huge comeback on this team instead of another one, and if not then we move forward accordingly.