Kiper Mock v4.0

A) I'm discussing Miller, not Maybin.

B) I'm responding to 1billsfan contention that Miller has a "little body." I don't think he needs to bulk up, but using Matthews as an example of someone with similar body type showing how he gained some weight as a pro. More than likely he'll gain 5-10 pounds as a pro; I doubt he would play heavier than 255, which is only 9 pounds more than he is now.

C) I have absolutely no clue what your Green Bay comment is supposed to mean.

When i saw him play he has to be the "smallest" 246 lb LB i have ever seen.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i saw him play he has to be the "smallest" 246 lb LB i have ever seen.

You must not watch a lot of football or you weren't looking very hard hard because he was about 238 when he played at Texas A&M. He looks like a SS on a Saftey blitz in most of his "highlight" reels.

I question this, as an absolute.

There is no reason to believe that with 100% certainty that Von Miller can add 10 pounds, keep then keep his pass rushing speed at that weight.

We're talking about the #3 overall pick in the NFL draft. Why risk it?

You can get a LB latter in the draft. There is a reason why actual NFL teams don't taken LBs that high. Its easier to find 255 pound guys that are athletic, than it is to find 300 pound guys that are athletic.

Fairely and Dareaus worry me but If I'm going to roll the dice, I'd rather go big or go home. Then go little.

Sure, you can get a good LB later on. You can also get a good DL later on. Look at the 1st and 2nd team all pro LBs. Matthews, Harrison, Willis, mayo, wake, ware, Lewis and Urlacher. Only 2 werent 1st round picks. And those 2 were undrafted. Comparing the DL, peppers, Abraham, Ngata, Suh, umenyiora, tuck, williams and wilfork....3 weren't 1st round picks. There's talent at all positions later on in the draft, you just have to roll the dice and get lucky.

I'm not saying that miller is a sure thing, I'm saying that he has as good a chance as anyone to be a star. 10-15lbs doesn't make or break a great football player. I find that people that hate miller and are fond of fairley confuse me. They are very comparable, even though they play different positions. Fairley was a dominant force in college due to his speed and burst off the line, as was miller. Those miller haters are saying that it won't fly in the pros because NFL players are bigger stronger faster and he won't be as effective. Why is it any different for fairley? Have you seen his physique? No muscle mass, flabby and has a questionable character. Miller is ripped and has great character. Miller haters are always saying how he can't play the run, because hes a speed player. How does the same not apply to fairley? Because they play a different position? Very comparable. For the record, I like fairley, and would be happy if we selected him.

Sure, you can get a good LB later on. You can also get a good DL later on. Look at the 1st and 2nd team all pro LBs. Matthews, Harrison, Willis, mayo, wake, ware, Lewis and Urlacher. Only 2 werent 1st round picks. And those 2 were undrafted. Comparing the DL, peppers, Abraham, Ngata, Suh, umenyiora, tuck, williams and wilfork....3 weren't 1st round picks. There's talent at all positions later on in the draft, you just have to roll the dice and get lucky.

I'm not saying that miller is a sure thing, I'm saying that he has as good a chance as anyone to be a star. 10-15lbs doesn't make or break a great football player. I find that people that hate miller and are fond of fairley confuse me. They are very comparable, even though they play different positions. Fairley was a dominant force in college due to his speed and burst off the line, as was miller. Those miller haters are saying that it won't fly in the pros because NFL players are bigger stronger faster and he won't be as effective. Why is it any different for fairley? Have you seen his physique? No muscle mass, flabby and has a questionable character. Miller is ripped and has great character. Miller haters are always saying how he can't play the run, because hes a speed player. How does the same not apply to fairley? Because they play a different position? Very comparable. For the record, I like fairley, and would be happy if we selected him.

1. Please stop using MLB to compare with Miller.

2. Major strawman alert, no one is drafting Fairely because of his 40 time.

3. Why would you want to draft an undersized player with the #3 overall? Isn't that a reach?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Mis-typed on "DT" and should have said DE, but same dif for us. I dont think we need to take a NT before the 3rd, but would like to see us take a guy to spell Troup so we can move Williams to DE.

Dareus and Fairly could play the other 3-4 DE. Dareus has played 3-4 DE often in college and has been very good there. I understand that in this particular mock he is already off the board, but whatever.

I like:

Dareus

Fairley

Jordan

Quinn (OLB/DE)

All before I would take Miller.

I agree wit this guy, you could add JJ Watt to the list. We need big guys up front to stop the run, not small fast guys chasing people down from behind or not making a play because a guard is on him. I'd love a trade down for Jordan or Watt or Quinn and then a trade back into the first for Taylor.

Right now, as both teams are presently constructed, I'd say yes; both teams may indeed draft Miller over Quinn. Quinn, if drafted by a 34 team, is going to be asked to play a position he's never played before as an OLB. It may seem like a small thing to most but learning to play with your hand off the ground when that's not what you're used to can be a difficult thing.

I don't see the Steelers or Patriots drafting Quinn as a DE for their fronts.

I think it's reasonable to assume that, given the fact that Quinn has never played the position, that neither the Steelers or Pats* would care to invest the time in developing him into an OLB when the best at his position and Butkus award winner who's played it his entire career is there for the taking.

Now go ahead and come back at me with your scoffing and LOLing and those funny little emoticons, but you asked for an answer and I gave you legit reasons. Not silly conjecture.

GO BILLS!!!

You may have said it, but deep down I don't think you truly believe that (but if you do, good for you for sticking to your guns).

C'mon, admit it, Quinn totally fits the mold of being the big, bad@ss OLB baller that the Steelers and Pats love. I think that the "experts" think Von Miller fits the Bills best because he's the "cute and cuddly" pick that the Bills always love over the guy who plays mean and nasty...Orakpo and Ngata are the two classic examples of the Bills doing this.

2. Major strawman alert, no is drafting Fairely because of his 40 time.

3. Why would you want to draft an undersized player with the #3 overall? Isn't that a reach?

1- ok, I will.

2-no, they are drafting him because of his explosiveness and speed. Just like miller.

3-every player has a flaw/flaws in their game/character that can lead one to believe they may not succeed. That doesn't mean they are a "reach". Bowers: 1 year wonder, injury, takes plays off. Fairley: Not strong enough to old up at the point of attack, one trick pony (speed), character. Dareus: Will get too high at times and get pushed back, average burst, only played 4 games prior to 2010, Can give up on plays. I could go on about every player in the draft over the last 30 years. but I won't. You act as if I'm the only person that views him as a good pick at #3 and definitely not a "reach". I just went to nfl.com to check some stuff out, and guess what I see: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011

A "reach", in NFL terms as I see it, is drafting someone that isn't seen by others as worthy of their selection at a particular draft position. Maybe you're view of a reach is different. So, to answer you're question. NO, he is NOT a reach, imo.

1. Bucky Brooks
    NFL.com

Full Mock Draft

bucky_brooks_09_HS.jpg

1. Cam Newton
      QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
      DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
      LB

Texas A&M

4. A.J. Green
      WR

Georgia

5. Blaine Gabbert
      QB

Missouri

[*]

Charles Davis

NFL Network

Full Mock Draft

c_davis_65x90.jpg

1. Cam Newton
    QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
    DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
    LB

Texas A&M

4. Patrick Peterson
    DB

LSU

5. Blaine Gabbert
    QB

Missouri

[*]

Steve Wyche

NFL.com

Full Mock Draft

steve_wyche_HS_09_65x90.jpg

1. Cam Newton
    QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
    DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
    LB

Texas A&M

4. Da'Quan Bowers
    DL

Clemson

5. Blaine Gabbert
    QB

Missouri

You may have said it, but deep down I don't think you truly believe that (but if you do, good for you for sticking to your guns).

C'mon, admit it, Quinn totally fits the mold of being the big, bad@ss OLB baller that the Steelers and Pats love. I think that the "experts" think Von Miller fits the Bills best because he's the "cute and cuddly" pick that the Bills always love over the guy who plays mean and nasty...Orakpo and Ngata are the two classic examples of the Bills doing this.

even though he's never played OLB....

Secondly, let's take a closer look at his "super" sophomore season. Now taking the five easiest games on the schedule (vs. Citadel, vs. East Carolina, vs. Virginia, vs. Georgia Southern, vs. Duke). All at home, all against the easiest competition on the Tar Heels schedule. In those five games, Quinn amassed 10 of his 11 sacks, and 22 of his 32 solo tackles. The only other game where he made any noise at all was against Boston College, where he played well against Anthony Castonzo. Apart from that game, he did a whole lot of nothing against the meat of UNCs schedule, the likes of Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, etc. And this is the ACC we're talking about here. Not exactly the strongest conference in the country. Dominating weak competition while struggling against the top teams in the ACC isn't something that translates to NFL success.

Finally, lets look at his actual skill set. I don't have tape on every single one of his games from the 09 season, but I have seen a few, at the least a considerable amount more than a glorified highlight reel of his game against BC. His success comes almost exclusively from the speed rush. And while he's much quicker than the tackles at Georgia Southern and Duke, he wasn't able to beat tackles from the better teams in the ACC with it.

but hey, now that we have been informed that the pats and steelers would definitely draft him over Miller, what else matters?

I feel like Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men"...LOL

I want an answer!!!! I don't care about Green Bay, do you think the Patriots or Steelers would draft Von Miller over Robert Quinn...

Actually.....Actually yes I do. The steelers and patriots both run a 3-4 base defense right? They have the big uglies to hold the edges of the defense and need playmakers at the LB spot who get after the QB.

That does sound like Von Miller to me.

Its just that I dont want to make my arguement (like you do) in absolutes....I am also a Robert Quinn fan.

Von Miller - excellent pass rusher - will be better dropping back

Quinn - excellent pass rusher - will be more stout against the run

Both of these guys would help our team....its just one of them has done it for a longer period of time.

1- ok, I will.

2-no, they are drafting him because of his explosiveness and speed. Just like miller.

3-every player has a flaw/flaws in their game/character that can lead one to believe they may not succeed. That doesn't mean they are a "reach". Bowers: 1 year wonder, injury, takes plays off. Fairley: Not strong enough to old up at the point of attack, one trick pony (speed), character. Dareus: Will get too high at times and get pushed back, average burst, only played 4 games prior to 2010, Can give up on plays. I could go on about every player in the draft over the last 30 years. but I won't. You act as if I'm the only person that views him as a good pick at #3 and definitely not a "reach". I just went to nfl.com to check some stuff out, and guess what I see: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011

A "reach", in NFL terms as I see it, is drafting someone that isn't seen by others as worthy of their selection at a particular draft position. Maybe you're view of a reach is different. So, to answer you're question. NO, he is NOT a reach, imo.

1. Bucky Brooks
    NFL.com

Full Mock Draft

bucky_brooks_09_HS.jpg

1. Cam Newton
      QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
      DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
      LB

Texas A&M

4. A.J. Green
      WR

Georgia

5. Blaine Gabbert
      QB

Missouri

[*]

Charles Davis

NFL Network

Full Mock Draft

c_davis_65x90.jpg

1. Cam Newton
    QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
    DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
    LB

Texas A&M

4. Patrick Peterson
    DB

LSU

5. Blaine Gabbert
    QB

Missouri

[*]

Steve Wyche

NFL.com

Full Mock Draft

steve_wyche_HS_09_65x90.jpg

1. Cam Newton
    QB

Auburn

2. Marcell Dareus
    DE

Alabama

3. Von Miller
    LB

Texas A&M

4. Da'Quan Bowers
    DL

Clemson

5. Blaine Gabbert
    QB

Missouri

3.) Thanks. I'm not singling you out I'm just trying to understand why anyone would want Miller in Red, White, and Buffalo Blue with such other great, hard to find options on the board.

I can see your definition of reach as a definition. I never thought of a reach that way.

I thought of a reach as reaching past more talented players for less complete players.

The consensus certainly seems to think Von Miller will be a good pick for the Bills. Why? I still can't see it, I guess I never will.

2. Major strawman alert, no one is drafting Fairely because of his 40 time.

I thought you've said before he's make an awesome MLB?

And I think deep down (whether you will admit it or not) that the picks of Maybin and Whitner (who are totally different players then Von Miller) are swaying your opinions on whether Von Miller is legit. I actually hate this debate because it forces me to say negative things about a player I actually like in Robert Quinn:

- Does have the problem growing in his head.....who knows whats going to end up out of that but very hard to invest a 3 on a player that is not totally healthy

- Did in fact miss all of last season then came into the combine and didn't impress. Which brings up a question of work ethic.

3.) Thanks. I'm not singling you out I'm just trying to understand why anyone would want Miller in Red, White, and Buffalo Blue with such other great, hard to find options on the board.

I can see your definition of reach as a definition. I never thought of a reach that way.

I thought of a reach as reaching past more talented players for less complete players.

The consensus certainly seems to think Von Miller will be a good pick for the Bills. Why? I still can't see it, I guess I never will.

I see. We differ in our opinions of what a reach is and Von Millers ability. I understand your point. If you don't like Von Miller because you feel he needs to get bigger and stronger, I respect that. I feel that everyone has things they need to work on, and Miller has some things that other athletes can work on their entire careers and never see results. Crazy athleticism and great character. I view strength and size liabilities to be two of the easier "cons" to improve on. Is there a chance he doesn't get bigger and stronger to the point where he won't be effective. Sure there is. I just think almost every player has things to work on. Those that improve on those things, have a better chance of living up to their potential.

And I think deep down (whether you will admit it or not) that the picks of Maybin and Whitner (who are totally different players then Von Miller) are swaying your opinions on whether Von Miller is legit. I actually hate this debate because it forces me to say negative things about a player I actually like in Robert Quinn:

- Does have the problem growing in his head.....who knows whats going to end up out of that but very hard to invest a 3 on a player that is not totally healthy

- Did in fact miss all of last season then came into the combine and didn't impress. Which brings up a question of work ethic.

+1. I like Quinn too, but the Size Nazi's are making me talk about him in a negative light.

I see. We differ in our opinions of what a reach is and Von Millers ability. I understand your point. If you don't like Von Miller because you feel he needs to get bigger and stronger, I respect that. I feel that everyone has things they need to work on, and Miller has some things that other athletes can work on their entire careers and never see results. Crazy athleticism and great character. I view strength and size liabilities to be two of the easier "cons" to improve on. Is there a chance he doesn't get bigger and stronger to the point where he won't be effective. Sure there is. I just think almost every player has things to work on. Those that improve on those things, have a better chance of living up to their potential.

+1. I like Quinn too, but the Size Nazi's are making me talk about him in a negative light.

Here is a little exerpt I found:

Standing up on nearly every snap, Miller had 17 1/2 tackles for loss, 10 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2010 while playing through an early-season ankle injury. His true explosion was on display in a junior season in which he racked up a nation-high 17 sacks to go with four forced fumbles and 21 1/2 tackles for loss

People (not you) are belittling Von Miller because of drop off in production from Jr. year to Sr. year. a. He had an injury and b. His junior year stats are so ridiculous it was actually hard to repeat them....SEVENTEEN SACKS and TWENTY ONE tackles for loss. This is a kid that lives in a offenses backfield......

We draft big uglies in Troup and Carrington last year......Von Miller could be scary good. I would also like the guy that talked aobut Maybin's body composition (I remember reading this) to see if he could give thoughts on Von as to whether he could add weight and sustain it. I could be proven right or wrong on that area it just seems to me that Von's physic could allow him to carry more weight and keep it on.

Oh and....

Lawrence Timmons | #94 | LB

Pittsburgh Steelers | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 234 Age: 24

Born: 5/14/1986 Florence , SC

Standing up on nearly every snap, Miller had 17 1/2 tackles for loss, 10 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2010 while playing through an early-season ankle injury. His true explosion was on display in a junior season in which he racked up a nation-high 17 sacks to go with four forced fumbles and 21 1/2 tackles for loss

People (not you) are belittling Von Miller because of drop off in production from Jr. year to Sr. year. a. He had an injury and b. His junior year stats are so ridiculous it was actually hard to repeat them....SEVENTEEN SACKS and TWENTY ONE tackles for loss. This is a kid that lives in a offenses backfield......

We draft big uglies in Troup and Carrington last year......Von Miller could be scary good. I would also like the guy that talked aobut Maybin's body composition (I remember reading this) to see if he could give thoughts on Von as to whether he could add weight and sustain it. I could be proven right or wrong on that area it just seems to me that Von's physic could allow him to carry more weight and keep it on.

Oh and....

I thought you would've learned by now John, we aren't allowed to compare miller to a MLB. Even though MLBs are there to stop the run, and that's the one thing that the Size Nazis say Miller can't do because he's too small.

The most important thing in the 3-4 is having good linebackers. Look back through the Bills teams, the original "Bermuda Triangle" in the '80s was keyed by Shane Nelson and Jim Haslett (Smerlas was good too at the NT). In the Super Bowl years, the strength of the defense was the LBs (Bennett, Talley, Conlan, then very good role players in Radecic, Maddux, Bentley, Carlton Bailey, etc.).

The NT is good enough between Kyle Williams and Troup. If Carrington develops they will be okay at DE with Edwards and Carrington. Kelsay can drop down in pass situations to DE.

Think about it: in the SB years, Bruce Smith was an all time great and Phil Hansen was okay (staunch Bills fans will overvalue him, kind of like Don Beebe) but otherwise it was Jeff Wright, Leon Seals, a late in the career Jim Jeffcoat, not a lot of stellar guys. The LBs carried them and if the 3-4 is going to work they need to make a huge upgrade. Von Miller, Martez Wilson and rolling the dice with Merriman has some potential. If Poz is your 3rd or 4th best starting LB that's not bad (see Carlton Bailey, Mark Maddux and Scott Radecic) but if he's #1 you have issues. Then guys like Moats, Batten and the parade of 3rd rate vets they brought in last year are excellent depth guys.

I thought you would've learned by now John, we aren't allowed to compare miller to a MLB. Even though MLBs are there to stop the run, and that's the one thing that the Size Nazis say Miller can't do because he's too small.

Size Nazis, you mean people that realize appropriate size of NFL players? You can't just play anyone at any position because "they're a football player."

An outside LB has to go against LTs regularly. Which because I'm size Nazi, I know, are bigger stronger and faster than interior offensive lineman. Meaning, generally that OLB have to be bigger, faster, and stronger.

But we can pretend size doesn't matter in your utopian gold star for everyone "you can do IT!" because you heart football-ville.

I thought you've said before he's make an awesome MLB?

I did. What I worry is the Bills take him at #3 overall then spend two years trying to fit a square peg into a round hole at OLB. Doesn't help the team and holds the defense back.

I actually doubt that OBD is going to make this pick, its such a clearly bad pick with so much risk and so little upside over what you can get later in the draft any professional worth their salt wouldn't make that pick. There is a reason actually NFL teams don't take LBs that high. And the last two AJ Hawk and Aaron Curry didn't exactly live up to their draft position.

Von Miller will be a major bust. His little body "speed" OLB game doesn't translate to the NFL and he over pursues on running plays.

I've literally been laughing at the Kiper "expert" types this draft season. I think they're all on some seriously heavy dope.

I'll be curious to hear your reaction if, you know, Miller turns out to be good.

What was Maybin's measurements at the combine?

Are the Buffalo Bills located in Buffalo, NY or Green Bay, WI?

Why would you draft a player at #3 overall that needs to bulk up in order to play in the NFL.

Wouldn't stand to reason you can draft an NFL size player at #3 overall?

How is drafting a guy that needs to bulk up, not a reach? It seems like the definition of a reach to me.

Comparing him to maybin is ridiculous, because they are very very different. Sure, they are both small guys that had great speed. But they are very different football players. Maybin was a one year wonder that hardly played any football. Miller has played all 4 years, and wasn't just a one year wonder.

Bulking up might make him a bit of a reach, but it is small potatoes compared to all the other top players with issues. Bowers knee injury? Now there is a Gamble. Quinn not even playing last year? Man, now there is a red flag. Fairly not having good work ethic? Sounds like a mike williams situation. Almost all the top players have an issue. Who woulda thunk there wouldn't be all perfect players? well, there is a perfect player if you want to draft patrick peterson, but let's not open THAT can of worms now. Sure, dareus would be a pretty swell choice, and I prefer him to miller, but will he even be there when we pick? I doubt it, even with the 3rd overall choice.

In the end, if the only thing wrong with the kid is that he has to "bulk up" and improve against the run, then there really isn't that much risk in him compared to the others. Maybin was a huge risk/project being a one year wonder who hardly played football. This guy is different. Not saying he is a future superstar, but he looks like he would be a worth using a top 5 pick on him. And really, it is not hard for him to get to a clay mathews size.

If you want a player with nothing wrong, take peterson...... but see how much that helps this team.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I think with all the invites the Front Office is trying to find a reason not to pick Miller, and can't. I like this Miller in the first but I also think if Phil Taylor is there in the second we take him over Wilson. We only need to add one LB in my maybe two in the draft, don't forget we have Merriman and Batten coming back from injury; also Moats and I think we should resign Poz. I would just like to see us get Taylor, I think a good rotation for NT Troupe and Taylor, you can also put Williams in there but I think with his motor he would be just as good if not better at DE.

Comparing him to maybin is ridiculous, because they are very very different. Sure, they are both small guys that had great speed. But they are very different football players. Maybin was a one year wonder that hardly played any football. Miller has played all 4 years, and wasn't just a one year wonder.

Bulking up might make him a bit of a reach, but it is small potatoes compared to all the other top players with issues. Bowers knee injury? Now there is a Gamble. Quinn not even playing last year? Man, now there is a red flag. Fairly not having good work ethic? Sounds like a mike williams situation. Almost all the top players have an issue. Who woulda thunk there wouldn't be all perfect players? well, there is a perfect player if you want to draft patrick peterson, but let's not open THAT can of worms now. Sure, dareus would be a pretty swell choice, and I prefer him to miller, but will he even be there when we pick? I doubt it, even with the 3rd overall choice.

In the end, if the only thing wrong with the kid is that he has to "bulk up" and improve against the run, then there really isn't that much risk in him compared to the others. Maybin was a huge risk/project being a one year wonder who hardly played football. This guy is different. Not saying he is a future superstar, but he looks like he would be a worth using a top 5 pick on him. And really, it is not hard for him to get to a clay mathews size.

If you want a player with nothing wrong, take peterson...... but see how much that helps this team.

What's wrong with Cam Jordan?

I have to disagree with you about the highlighted part. He is so quick he makes players run where they don't want to which is right into the teeth of the D. Our outside LB's last year were to slow and they RB's just ran around them with one juke move. If you watch Miller against the Big 12 (which is no push over conference) the last two season he dominated both rushing and passing. No he didn't make all the tackles last year but to be a good run defender do you have to make all the tackles, I don't think so as long as you dont get beat and can contain the RB so you team mates can make plays that is all i want. I think he does that and doing so makes players around him better. I mean the A&M Defense is full of no names and I bet nobody else from that Defense gets drafted, that just says alot about Miller IMO.

I'll be curious to hear your reaction if, you know, Miller turns out to be good.

It's impossible. 1billsfan already told us he's gonna suck.

Size Nazis, you mean people that realize appropriate size of NFL players? You can't just play anyone at any position because "they're a football player."

An outside LB has to go against LTs regularly. Which because I'm size Nazi, I know, are bigger stronger and faster than interior offensive lineman. Meaning, generally that OLB have to be bigger, faster, and stronger.

But we can pretend size doesn't matter in your utopian gold star for everyone "you can do IT!" because you heart football-ville.

I did. What I worry is the Bills take him at #3 overall then spend two years trying to fit a square peg into a round hole at OLB. Doesn't help the team and holds the defense back.

I actually doubt that OBD is going to make this pick, its such a clearly bad pick with so much risk and so little upside over what you can get later in the draft any professional worth their salt wouldn't make that pick. There is a reason actually NFL teams don't take LBs that high. And the last two AJ Hawk and Aaron Curry didn't exactly live up to their draft position.

By size nazis I mean, people that think a 246 lb OLB can't succeed in the NFL because hes too small. James Harrison weighs 242 btw. And he's nowhere near as fast or explosive as miller. Is there a chance he doesn't succeed? Sure, but the same can be said for anyone we draft. He just so happens to play a position that we desperately need, so it makes sense to take a chance IMO.

Edited by NewEra

What's wrong with Cam Jordan?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Cameron-Jordan.php

Weaknesses:

• Is not overly fast or explosive and lacks a burst

• Is not necessarily a dangerous threat off the edge

• Will struggle in space and doesn't look comfortable

• Will play out of control and lose contain at times

• Ran into some trouble off the field at one point

• Might be a bit of a positional / schematic 'tweener

I think he's a stud and will be a very good player. I'd love to try and trade down and pick up another pick or two and grab him due to the fact that many of the teams that draft after us may be looking to add different positons. I still think that we're gonna draft whoevers left between newton and gabbert.

I think with all the invites the Front Office is trying to find a reason not to pick Miller, and can't. I like this Miller in the first but I also think if Phil Taylor is there in the second we take him over Wilson. We only need to add one LB in my maybe two in the draft, don't forget we have Merriman and Batten coming back from injury; also Moats and I think we should resign Poz. I would just like to see us get Taylor, I think a good rotation for NT Troupe and Taylor, you can also put Williams in there but I think with his motor he would be just as good if not better at DE.

+1 Phil Taylor

I actually doubt that OBD is going to make this pick, its such a clearly bad pick with so much risk and so little upside over what you can get later in the draft any professional worth their salt wouldn't make that pick.

This made me chuckle.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft4.0

Kiper has us picking Von Miller @ #3 and Illinois ILB Martez Wilson @ #34

Not a bad haul if you ask me....addresses two immediate needs.

I'd like to get a DT in one of the 1st two rounds personally.

What say you?

Gabbert, Reed

<In the voice of Jeff Foxworthy>

When a wide receiver looks like he could kick your OLB's ass...you may need a bigger OLB…

http://long-island.newsday.com/topics/Texas

Yes, let's draft a flea-sized malcontent who's more focused on player issues than becoming the Bills first defensive superstar since Bruce Smith. Maybe it's just me, but I like the fact that Robert Quinn isn't in playing dress up in Minnesota on April 6th. FYI, Miller was directly behind the press podium during the interviews. Sorry, I want a football player, not Norma Rae.

Von Miller will be a major bust. His little body "speed" OLB game doesn't translate to the NFL and he over pursues on running plays.

I've literally been laughing at the Kiper "expert" types this draft season. I think they're all on some seriously heavy dope.

No, you're waaaay off man. The guy will come in and be a major factor. He will be an immediate starter and will never get off the field, barring injury... This guy can play NFL Football and has the potential to be Rookie of the year.

<In the voice of Jeff Foxworthy>

When a wide receiver looks like he could kick your OLB's ass...you may need a bigger OLB…

http://long-island.newsday.com/topics/Texas

Yes, let's draft a flea-sized malcontent who's more focused on player issues than becoming the Bills first defensive superstar since Bruce Smith. Maybe it's just me, but I like the fact that Robert Quinn isn't in playing dress up in Minnesota on April 6th. FYI, Miller was directly behind the press podium during the interviews. Sorry, I want a football player, not Norma Rae.

I just see a guy who knows how to dress and has a good tailor and one who buys a suit off the rack...

Also, VJax was suspended for juicing last year. Amazing what those things will do.

But then again, you want the guy who hasn't played in a year AND you want to change his position.

Edited by stony

Oh and....

That is incorrect. Von Miller was a DE for his first 3 seasons, including his most impressive Junior year. He has his had on the ground 95% of the time.

Texas A&M switched to a 3-4 his Senior year where he played Joker and had his hand on the ground or speed rush from the Edge more than 50% of the time.

If drafted #3 he would be drafted to play that Joker role in the NFL, some may say a Mini-Joker.

Just because they're the same body size coming out of college doesn't mean that they play the same way. I see Miller over pursuing plays and getting pushed around way too often to suggest that he's the next Clay Matthews.

And by this comment you mean its not ok to compare him to similar sized good players (Matthews), but it is ok to compare similar sized bad players (maybin).

Actually, Quinn has more in common with Maybin than Miller. Both were one year wonders who racked up huge numbers against inferior competition, and did little against the top teams in their conferences. But Quinn is going to be good simply because he's bigger?

I just see a guy who knows how to dress and has a good tailor and one who buys a suit off the rack...

Also, VJax was suspended for juicing last year. Amazing what those things will do.

But then again, you want the guy who hasn't played in a year AND you want to change his position.

I don't man, That picture looks like he can't keep the extra 8-10 pounds he put on for the combine on.

Not that I work at Carnival, but the guy with the glasses looks under 240 to me.

I don't man, That picture looks like he can't keep the extra 8-10 pounds he put on for the combine on.

Not that I work at Carnival, but the guy with the glasses looks under 240 to me.

No, I agree. He looks a bit small there, I was just being a smart ass about their suits. Von Miller has a good tailor. VJax isn't your normal WR though. That's like putting nearly every LB in this years draft next to Cam and saying the same thing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft4.0

What say you?

He got one of the picks right ;) LOL. *See Below*

By size nazis I mean, people that think a 246 lb OLB can't succeed in the NFL because hes too small. James Harrison weighs 242 btw. And he's nowhere near as fast or explosive as miller. Is there a chance he doesn't succeed? Sure, but the same can be said for anyone we draft. He just so happens to play a position that we desperately need, so it makes sense to take a chance IMO.

Im not saying he CANT succeed in the NFL, I just think he WONT succeed at that size.

You reference James Harrison. Are you familiar with Harrison's entire 9 year career, or only the last 3 seasons?

Due to his size, Harrison went undrafted. He was picked up by the Steelers, and sat on their practice squad for TWO YEARS, being released three times before being signed by Baltimore who also cut him. He then played in NFL Europe.

He finally came back to the Steelers in 2004, struggled to get on the field, spent a couple more years developing and FINALLY had a good season in 2007. FIVE YEARS AFTER being drafted.

But since he is small, you use that as proof we SHOULD draft Miller at #3 OVERALL?!?!?!??

:wallbash:

For the millionth time. The exception is not the rule. Doesn't mean Miller can't be successful. It just means there is more risk drafting a smaller guy. By the way your example Harrison is 6'0" and thick. Miller is 6'3" and wiry. Harrison has also suffered from what most smaller guys suffer from in that they get injured because they are small.

It is admirable that these guys give it their all and can over come their lack of size. The "little engine that could" , "rudy, rudy, rudy", david can slay goliath guys need to give it a rest. Next you will be telling me we should give a long hard look at every 5'10" QB prospect because Doug Flutie did it. It's become a joke.

Just like in football if a woman ever tells you "size doesn't matter"...she is lying.

Im not saying he CANT succeed in the NFL, I just think he WONT succeed at that size.

You reference James Harrison. Are you familiar with Harrison's entire 9 year career, or only the last 3 seasons?

Due to his size, Harrison went undrafted. He was picked up by the Steelers, and sat on their practice squad for TWO YEARS, being released three times before being signed by Baltimore who also cut him. He then played in NFL Europe.

He finally came back to the Steelers in 2004, struggled to get on the field, spent a couple more years developing and FINALLY had a good season in 2007. FIVE YEARS AFTER being drafted.

But since he is small, you use that as proof we SHOULD draft Miller at #3 OVERALL?!?!?!??

:wallbash:

GET EM DANK!!!

What say you?

I agree with both of your points, particularly if Dareus is gone.