Bills get compensatory 7th

Dexter

I thought I read yesterday that the Dolphins were the only team awarded a compensatory pick.

What about one for Marshawn? His run against the Saints alone should earn us at least a 3rd rounder. Or, is that compensatory pick due next year?

Lynch was traded, he didn't leave as a free agent which is the only way to get extra picks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weslye Saunders is a bit of a project, but a potential Pro Bowl TE. But, in a cold town with the team losing, I don't know if I'd gamble it would happen here... broken foot, out of football for a year - this guy needs Ray Lewis in his face every day...

Don't know if I'd trust a three step punter from Florida either...

My selection for the 244 would likely come from this list...

Jeff Maehl - too "slow," just unreal at turning, tracking the ball and catching it. While he can't break 4.6, nobody at the combine could stay with him turning, which is what WRs tend to do, which explains why Maehl was so productive. A bit of Derrick Mason in this kid.

Guy Miller DT Colorado State - I do not understand his ranking. Every time I saw this kid, he was super quick off the snap, slippery, and effective. Appears to have top intangibles, including being a great high school wrestler. Saw double and triple teams regularly.

Jeremiah Hunter LB Iowa - don't understand his rating either. Thought he was better than Pat Angerer. Excellent prospect for ILB in 3-4 and all LB in 4-3.

Sampson Genus C USF - wait wait wait he's from Florida (just not "south" Florida, because "South Florida" is in Tampa, which is not in "south" Florida...). Yeah, but look how he is built (plenty of warmth). Apparently 6 ft and just 3/8 of an inch tall (too short for most), frame easily holds 310 and is super quick and athletic, knee bender, destroyed everyone on Clemson he faced in his final game, including DT Jenkins, rated by most as a mid rounder. Committed team leader. I am not at all convinced he is not the best C prospect in the Draft.

I thought I read yesterday that the Dolphins were the only team awarded a compensatory pick.

What about one for Marshawn? His run against the Saints alone should earn us at least a 3rd rounder. Or, is that compensatory pick due next year?

There are many compensatory picks allotted each draft, based on how many unrestricted free agents a team lost versus signed. There's a small group that determines the values of the loss (based on several factors, e.g. size of UFA contract, playing time during the year, etc.) and sets the comp picks accordingly.

You get that Lynch was traded to the Seahags, right? No compensatory picks for trades, as there's already been compensation.

Edited by UConn James

There are many compensatory picks allotted each draft, based on how many unrestricted free agents a team lost versus signed. There's a small group that determines the values of the loss (based on several factors, e.g. size of UFA contract, playing time during the year, etc.) and sets the comp picks accordingly.

You get that Lynch was traded to the Seahags, right? No compensatory picks for trades, as there's already been compensation.

There were 21 total awarded for losses I believe, and then 11 given in draft order- kind of like an abbreviated 8th round to finish out the 32.

It's only for expiring contracts.

To be eligible for anything over a 7, you need to lose more than you sign.

If you did lose more- you match up those signings and losses as best you can to find your unmatched loss. That guy is then evaluated. Based on historical data it's like 95% contract size with playtime/awards seemingly only being uses if someone is dead on the fence

It seems to me the Moorman, our ALL PRO punter, had an off year due to injury. I expect him to regain his ALL PRO performace next year, if there is a season. I also expect, if he could not perform, he would call it a career. Integrity guy. All in all, my guess is, if the Bill draft the guy from Florida, it will be because Moorman tells/told the Bills his leg was not coming around. Just sayin...

Players the Bills could select with that comp pick would include IMHO:

Alex Linnenkohl - OC - Oregon State center would provide backup to Wood, especially if Hangartner's released.

Schuylar Oordt - TE - N Iowa guy has height + vert and decent hands (although he was underused as a receiver).

T.J. Yates - QB - North Carolina was known for their defense, but Yates has height, escapability, charisma

David Carter - DE34 - UCLA DT at 6'5" 300 could play DE34 as well. A Combine snub, looked good at Shrine game

Lawrence Marsh - DE34 -Florida guy and his line coach have a number of connections with Bills, George Edwards

Players the Bills could select with that comp pick would include IMHO:

Alex Linnenkohl - OC - Oregon State center would provide backup to Wood, especially if Hangartner's released.

Schuylar Oordt - TE - N Iowa guy has height + vert and decent hands (although he was underused as a receiver).

T.J. Yates - QB - North Carolina was known for their defense, but Yates has height, escapability, charisma

David Carter - DE34 - UCLA DT at 6'5" 300 could play DE34 as well. A Combine snub, looked good at Shrine game

Lawrence Marsh - DE34 -Florida guy and his line coach have a number of connections with Bills, George Edwards

Any short, stout, small school ilb's out there?

Yeah, since it's basically a way to ensure you get a chance at a player who might see a better opportunity elsewhere as an UDFA, I was thinking along these lines as well. I've heard good things about the kid from Nebraska, Alex Henery, who can do double duty as a kicker AND punter. He averaged 43.9 yards last season, and had 26 dropped inside the 20, and made 89.5% of FGs in his career. Even if he concentrates on just one --- punting for us, as Moorman has really hit a wall and Lindell has done a very good job including from 50+ the past few seasons --- it's always nice to have a backup if Lindell should get injured. There is the possibility that eventually, he may be able to do both and save a roster spot. That might be a little risky, but remember how Billicheat had that punter who was the 3rd QB? Would allow you keep an extra LB or OL.

This kid is projecting to the 4th according to this site, but it's always a crapshoot when kickers or punters will be chosen. The kid from Ohio State a few years back was supposed to be the Second Coming of Nick Lowery, was taken in the 2nd by the Jests and did a lot of nothing. That may have put off a lot of teams from selecting a kicker until late b/c the transition to the NFL, to excuse the wordplay, is hit or miss.

Even if it is, say, the 5th round I'd be interested in getting Henery just for those coffin corners and pinbacks. As much as he did for this team for 10-11 years, Moorman just didn't look like the same guy --- wasn't hitting on his placements, had several gimmes that went in for touchbacks and even the inside-the-20s he got were mostly just inside the 20. My overall recollection last season was him unbuttoning his chinstrap and angrily flinging it to the other side. The one area I'm loathe to let go of him from is holding for Lindell's kicks, but that's just not enough to justify his spot. Chan should bring in a challenger to camp, as is usual, and if we're doing that it may as well be someone who has a chance to unseat, rather than it being a courtesy to some local kid from UBuff or Syracuse.

Henery won't make it to the 5th.

It seems to me the Moorman, our ALL PRO punter, had an off year due to injury. I expect him to regain his ALL PRO performace next year, if there is a season. I also expect, if he could not perform, he would call it a career. Integrity guy. All in all, my guess is, if the Bill draft the guy from Florida, it will be because Moorman tells/told the Bills his leg was not coming around. Just sayin...

There was some speculation that Moorman's performance suffered, in large part, because Bruce DeHaven asked him to do more directional punting than he has done in the past (not exactly his strongest suit). Moorman's strength is his ability to hit those booming punts with excellent hang time; allowing the speedsters to get down the field and make plays. Moorman is a competitor and a great athlete. I suspect that he is working more on directional punting in the offseason. It wouldn't be a bad idea, especially in the 7th round, to bring in a guy to challenge him during the offseason.

No its true. So they are saying TO is only as good as a 7th rounder? Yeah BS, he is worth a fourth rounder as far as production went, did better than ocho last year.

as it has been noted here in an earlier post, the compensatory pick was awarded by the NFL. under some rule, once all compensatory picks are doled out to teams that earned them through losing free agents, an additional number of picks are awarded to teams so to equal 32 picks in total.

the loss of Terrell Owens had nothing to do with the Bills being awarded this pick.

jw

Yeah, since it's basically a way to ensure you get a chance at a player who might see a better opportunity elsewhere as an UDFA, I was thinking along these lines as well. I've heard good things about the kid from Nebraska, Alex Henery, who can do double duty as a kicker AND punter. He averaged 43.9 yards last season, and had 26 dropped inside the 20, and made 89.5% of FGs in his career. Even if he concentrates on just one --- punting for us, as Moorman has really hit a wall and Lindell has done a very good job including from 50+ the past few seasons --- it's always nice to have a backup if Lindell should get injured. There is the possibility that eventually, he may be able to do both and save a roster spot. That might be a little risky, but remember how Billicheat had that punter who was the 3rd QB? Would allow you keep an extra LB or OL.

This kid is projecting to the 4th according to this site, but it's always a crapshoot when kickers or punters will be chosen. The kid from Ohio State a few years back was supposed to be the Second Coming of Nick Lowery, was taken in the 2nd by the Jests and did a lot of nothing. That may have put off a lot of teams from selecting a kicker until late b/c the transition to the NFL, to excuse the wordplay, is hit or miss.

Even if it is, say, the 5th round I'd be interested in getting Henery just for those coffin corners and pinbacks. As much as he did for this team for 10-11 years, Moorman just didn't look like the same guy --- wasn't hitting on his placements, had several gimmes that went in for touchbacks and even the inside-the-20s he got were mostly just inside the 20. My overall recollection last season was him unbuttoning his chinstrap and angrily flinging it to the other side. The one area I'm loathe to let go of him from is holding for Lindell's kicks, but that's just not enough to justify his spot. Chan should bring in a challenger to camp, as is usual, and if we're doing that it may as well be someone who has a chance to unseat, rather than it being a courtesy to some local kid from UBuff or Syracuse.

Can Henery hold on XPA and Field Goals though? That is Moorman's best position right now. He either has lost something with his leg or the change of ST coaches has screwed with his head but he looked below average last year. I thought the only reason he was on the team was for holding.

Does anyone know if there is anyone on the team that can hold other than Moorman. He has been doing it for so long that I can't remember the last player that held on XPA except for Reich.

Can Henery hold on XPA and Field Goals though? That is Moorman's best position right now. He either has lost something with his leg or the change of ST coaches has screwed with his head but he looked below average last year. I thought the only reason he was on the team was for holding.

Does anyone know if there is anyone on the team that can hold other than Moorman. He has been doing it for so long that I can't remember the last player that held on XPA except for Reich.

Moorman was severely average last year.

According to ProFootballFocus.com's premium stats, Moorman had 3 bad games, 3 good games, and 10 average games. The bad games were both Miami games and at Cincy. The JAX home game, and away games vs. KC and MIN were his good games. His average was 26th in the league. Ten punters had fewer punts returned, 29 had more punts returned. He had the 4th-most punts out of bounds (a 5-way tie). He was 28th in net return yards. He was in a 7-way tie in 7th place for most touchbacks.

Edited by Astrobot

There was some speculation that Moorman's performance suffered, in large part, because Bruce DeHaven asked him to do more directional punting than he has done in the past (not exactly his strongest suit). Moorman's strength is his ability to hit those booming punts with excellent hang time; allowing the speedsters to get down the field and make plays. Moorman is a competitor and a great athlete. I suspect that he is working more on directional punting in the offseason. It wouldn't be a bad idea, especially in the 7th round, to bring in a guy to challenge him during the offseason.

I agree, I would just bring in an UFA to do so. I think only one or two punters ever get picked, something we don't have the luxury of doing. Insofar as Moorman is concerned, a little competition never hurt anybody.

No, he didn't hold on FGs. Probably b/c he was kicking them. ;) As I wrote, Henery did double duty --- punting and kicking --- at Nebraska.

There is certainly a back-up holder. Can't find it anywhere but IIRC, it's Fred Jackson.

as it has been noted here in an earlier post, the compensatory pick was awarded by the NFL. under some rule, once all compensatory picks are doled out to teams that earned them through losing free agents, an additional number of picks are awarded to teams so to equal 32 picks in total.

the loss of Terrell Owens had nothing to do with the Bills being awarded this pick.

jw

that makes it even worse.