Which QB would you take?

NewEra

Newton or Gabbert  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take?

I just want to see how opinion is stacking up.

I chose Newton because I think he has a higher ceiling, but I wouldn't be unhappy if we selected Gabbert.

Edited by NewEra

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose Newton because I think he has a higher ceiling, but I wouldn't be unhappy if we selected Gabbert.

I keep seeing people saying that Newton's ceiling is higher, but I don't understand why. Is it because of

his running ability? If so, take Locker or Kaepernick who are similar or better athletes with equivalent

arms. I don't see ANYTHING that Newton has done that translates to the NFL. Even Vince Young and

Mike Vick haven't been big running threats in the NFL. Vick had to learn to be more of a passer to succeed

and I am not sure Young has succeeded. Can anyone name a good NFL QB who was more of a threat

as a runner than he was a passer? I'd have to go back to Bobby Douglas of the Bears in the 70s - and he

wasn't a good QB.

I just think that Newton is SOOO raw and hasn't proven that he has the work ethic to succeed. Maybe more

importantly, he has ZERO experience reading defenses and making quick decisions on who to throw to. I

think that is a very big issue, because I think that is the one thing that can't be taught. If it could be taught,

then I think Rob Johnson and JP Losman would have been successful NFL QBs. Both had good-very good

athletic ability and both had outstanding arms, yet they never could learn to make those quick decisions.

On the flip side, nobody will every accuse Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees of being

great athletes or having cannons for an arm, but they are 4 of the very best QBs in the NFL - clearly there

is more to being a good QB than having a big arm and great athletic ability.

Newton is the next jamarcus russel/ Vince Young..great athletic abilty to make him and elite college QB, but enough of a head case to make him an NFL bust. This is a very unimpressive crop of QBs in this draft. IMO the best option is to take the best available in the 3rd or trade back into the 2nd and get a guy to develop under Fitz for a year or two and build elsewhere and then plug a young Qb into a decent situation.

I picked Newton because if he is a bust at QB he could still be an unstoppable WR, where Gabbert would be a goofy looking white dude with the name Blane and grow a gross beard ala JP.

LOL! The name Blaine Gabbert is almost as bad as Steve Martin's character "Gern Blanston". Almost. And Fitzy's beard was goofier than JP's...Newton with his size would be a matchup problem as a TE in motion, too.

I chose Gabbert. In an interview I viewed, he talked about his work ethic. I am convinced he'll give 110% to whatever team picks him. He not only has the physical skills, but he's got it between the ears. I'm convinced he'll grow to be a quality NFL QB. I just don't have that level of confidence with Newton.

I picked Newton because if he is a bust at QB he could still be an unstoppable WR, where Gabbert would be a goofy looking white dude with the name Blane and grow a gross beard ala JP.

+1

I voted Newton too and I don't even trust the guy. That is how much I like Gabbert.

Newton. Go back and watch his games. Then go watch Gabbert's games. You tell me who

the difference maker is. Not just running, but throwing.

NEITHER of them had to read defenses in college the way the will have to learn to in

the pros. So I don't know why the pro Gabbert supporters overlook that fact. If the

Bills took Gabbert I would trust Nix and Gailey. But I don't think they are that

crazy to overlook what the tape will tell them.

The draft isn't about personalities. It's about talent. It's about future possibility. Don't like Newton's personality? So what. Newton has size, athleticism and arm strength. He can play the game. And he's already demonstrated his ability to lead teams to the ultimate goal. He went to JUCO and won a title then earned the starting job at Auburn and dominated there too. That took a lot of work. He had to work his way back up from the bottom and he did that. He also demonstrated an ability to play under adversity. And he played well; better and better each week. What other QB in the draft has proven that capability? The other QB's will be found out about when they hit the NFL field. We already know Newton can perform under pressure.

I'm glad the draft isn't up to some Bills fans. Small thinking is Buffalo, NY's main

problem. It's why bridges are talked about for years and never built. It's why that

property goldmine in waiting, the waterfront, is still not fully developed. And the

same small thinking would choose Blaine Gabbert, who DIDN'T stand out at Mizzou. Who

DIDN'T dominate his competition in the Big 12. The same guy who refused to throw at the combine because he wants to play draft games. Take him why? Because he has no character flags that anyone knows about? Because he doesn't want to be an icon?

Whatever. Go big or go home. Go back to ESPN or SI.com or Foxsports and call up their headlines from October to December. Tell me how many featured Gabbert. Maybe one. Because he wasn't that hot. The game tape doesn't lie.

Take Newton if they take a QB at #3. If not, take Von Miller or Pat Peterson. Bills need elite athletes and playmakers on this team. Keep that feel good, he's a good guy, he "fits" in BS. It's time for this organization and Buffalo, NY to take their place at the top and that's done with big thinking, risk taking and elite talent that can possibly transcend over time. There are no guarantees in life. That's no reason to not try.

Edited by purple haze

I keep seeing people saying that Newton's ceiling is higher, but I don't understand why. Is it because of

his running ability? If so, take Locker or Kaepernick who are similar or better athletes with equivalent

arms. I don't see ANYTHING that Newton has done that translates to the NFL. Even Vince Young and

Mike Vick haven't been big running threats in the NFL. Vick had to learn to be more of a passer to succeed

and I am not sure Young has succeeded. Can anyone name a good NFL QB who was more of a threat

as a runner than he was a passer? I'd have to go back to Bobby Douglas of the Bears in the 70s - and he

wasn't a good QB.

I just think that Newton is SOOO raw and hasn't proven that he has the work ethic to succeed. Maybe more

importantly, he has ZERO experience reading defenses and making quick decisions on who to throw to. I

think that is a very big issue, because I think that is the one thing that can't be taught. If it could be taught,

then I think Rob Johnson and JP Losman would have been successful NFL QBs. Both had good-very good

athletic ability and both had outstanding arms, yet they never could learn to make those quick decisions.

On the flip side, nobody will every accuse Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees of being

great athletes or having cannons for an arm, but they are 4 of the very best QBs in the NFL - clearly there

I think he has a higher ceiling due to his physical tools and athleticism. Sure NFL players are bigger, stronger and faster than in college, but his his size and strength will allow him to get 1st downs running the ball and fight off sacks. Ive seen big Ben do it for years, and it DOES make a difference in winning games. Not many QBs can physically over power a defender, I feel Newton can. Obviously, passing and reading defenses is more important than that. if he can't pass or read a defense he won't be fighting off defenders, because he won't be playing (for long anyway). I feel he has a higher ceiling because he can do more things on the football field than gabbert. You disagree. I respect that.

Newton is the next jamarcus russel/ Vince Young..great athletic abilty to make him and elite college QB, but enough of a head case to make him an NFL bust. This is a very unimpressive crop of QBs in this draft. IMO the best option is to take the best available in the 3rd or trade back into the 2nd and get a guy to develop under Fitz for a year or two and build elsewhere and then plug a young Qb into a decent situation.

Another know it all.

I choose Cameron Newton as well, but too me it was more due to the lack of choices as I prefer to do something else with the 3rd pick in the draft. I prefer to either trade up late in the 1st round or pick a QB in the 2nd round and use my third pick in the draft on one of the following players in this order: Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley.

What looks good about Blaine Gabbert is his intangibles, his leadership skills from what I've read, his size, and his accuracy, but to me these traits have not converted to superior success on the field as of yet. I want a proven dominant commodity if I'm going to use my third pick in the draft. On the other hand Cam Newton has had great success on the football field above and beyond everyone else except for maybe Colin Kaper..(something..)..

What I worry about with Newton like most everyone is the intangibles as he has the talent that reflects on the scoreboard and the stats. I worry about his character, and sincereity, and how he views himself as a icon and entertainer. He also talks about himself in the third person form which doesn't convey well to me. I wonder if his Dad was willing to sell him to the highest bidder then what type of environment was he raised in when it comes to morals and ethics and how that will reveal itself throughout his NFL Career? These may be some questions that our scouts can seek answers to prior to mortgaging the Bills future on this important selection.

In my World I'd pick one of those D-Lineman...go for a Locker, Mallet (although he has some issues himself).., Kapernick, or Stanzi as some or all of them may have as much potential as the high risk early first rounders do imo.

The one player I would stay away from that I'm afraid that the Bills really like is Christian Ponder as I've read up on him quite a bit..and when comparing him to current NFL players the closest comparison was made of his skill set to Trent Edwards and that made me loudly say He%%-No !!!

So here's my view....1st round get the D-LINE guy to slow down the run! Stay away from Robert Quinn as he is a one-trick sack pony that doesn't play the run nor pass all that well! Don't go after undersized guys despite their college sucess: Von Miller (I know the Bills love'em, but don't do another Aaron Maybin again!) Not with such a precious 3rd pick in the draft... 2nd round (or move up slightly but that'll cost'ya)..get the Best QB on the board! 3RD Round..get you a OT that is versatile, who has the ability to play left tackle and right tackle! Find a TE maybe in the 4th round...Get some depth at CB in the 5th round. and spend the last 2 picks on LB's as you need'em. It's not a perfect assesment, but I don't feel that I'm way off the mark on our needs. The problem is we still could use another 5 players or so even after our picks..oh yeah the other 4th rounder maybe take a 2nd QB! You say what?? Are you nuts?? Well maybe, but I think if Ricky Stanzi is on the board still that would be a QB with some potential and look at his stats, and his frame and you may agree! So probably Jake Locker & Ricky Stanzi and keep Fitzy and let them duke it out in camp & preseason for the immediate 2nd and 3rd QB spots on the roster! After camp you can always release Levi Brown again as it's obvious he isn't in the Bills longterm (or short term) plans!!!

So back to the question...Cam Newton if it's down to two, but round two if it's up to me!!! :thumbsup:

wasn't a good QB.

Your post sums it up perfectly.

I choose Cameron Newton as well, but too me it was more due to the lack of choices as I prefer to do something else with the 3rd pick in the draft. I prefer to either trade up late in the 1st round or pick a QB in the 2nd round and use my third pick in the draft on one of the following players in this order: Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley.

What looks good about Blaine Gabbert is his intangibles, his leadership skills from what I've read, his size, and his accuracy, but to me these traits have not converted to superior success on the field as of yet. I want a proven dominant commodity if I'm going to use my third pick in the draft. On the other hand Cam Newton has had great success on the football field above and beyond everyone else except for maybe Colin Kaper..(something..)..

What I worry about with Newton like most everyone is the intangibles as he has the talent that reflects on the scoreboard and the stats. I worry about his character, and sincereity, and how he views himself as a icon and entertainer. He also talks about himself in the third person form which doesn't convey well to me. I wonder if his Dad was willing to sell him to the highest bidder then what type of environment was he raised in when it comes to morals and ethics and how that will reveal itself throughout his NFL Career? These may be some questions that our scouts can seek answers to prior to mortgaging the Bills future on this important selection.

In my World I'd pick one of those D-Lineman...go for a Locker, Mallet (although he has some issues himself).., Kapernick, or Stanzi as some or all of them may have as much potential as the high risk early first rounders do imo.

The one player I would stay away from that I'm afraid that the Bills really like is Christian Ponder as I've read up on him quite a bit..and when comparing him to current NFL players the closest comparison was made of his skill set to Trent Edwards and that made me loudly say He%%-No !!!

So here's my view....1st round get the D-LINE guy to slow down the run! Stay away from Robert Quinn as he is a one-trick sack pony that doesn't play the run nor pass all that well! Don't go after undersized guys despite their college sucess: Von Miller (I know the Bills love'em, but don't do another Aaron Maybin again!) Not with such a precious 3rd pick in the draft... 2nd round (or move up slightly but that'll cost'ya)..get the Best QB on the board! 3RD Round..get you a OT that is versatile, who has the ability to play left tackle and right tackle! Find a TE maybe in the 4th round...Get some depth at CB in the 5th round. and spend the last 2 picks on LB's as you need'em. It's not a perfect assesment, but I don't feel that I'm way off the mark on our needs. The problem is we still could use another 5 players or so even after our picks..oh yeah the other 4th rounder maybe take a 2nd QB! You say what?? Are you nuts?? Well maybe, but I think if Ricky Stanzi is on the board still that would be a QB with some potential and look at his stats, and his frame and you may agree! So probably Jake Locker & Ricky Stanzi and keep Fitzy and let them duke it out in camp & preseason for the immediate 2nd and 3rd QB spots on the roster! After camp you can always release Levi Brown again as it's obvious he isn't in the Bills longterm (or short term) plans!!!

So back to the question...Cam Newton if it's down to two, but round two if it's up to me!!! :thumbsup:

Personally, I'm against drafting a qb in round 2. You feel as if the QB we'd be taking in the 2nd is on par with the potential QBs in the 1st. I feel the potential QBs in the 2nd are closer to the level of a qb that can be had in the 4th. I love the defensive talent that looks to be available in the 2nd. I also feel that the best QBs in the league are the ones that are taken in the 1st. I know that's is not always the case, but theres a LOT more successful QBs taken in the 1st then there are in the later rounds. I don't wanna waste a 2nd round pick on a career backup. Sure, a first Rd qb can be a bust too, but he's more likely to succeed than a qb drafted after the 1st. That's statistically true, but anything can happen

I'm not really sold on either of them. Newton may have a higher ceiling, Gabbert has a higher floor (meaning less questions/risks).

Between the two, Gabbert.

I'm not really sold on either of them. Newton may have a higher ceiling, Gabbert has a higher floor (meaning less questions/risks).

Between the two, Gabbert.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I think the Bills become a better team by taking a position other than QB.