Should an app that points out DUI checkpoints be illegal?

Fezmid

I didn't realize this article would generate such a response when I posted it -- but it seems like most people think the app shouldn't exist.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-senators-tell-apple-and-others-to-remove-dui-checkpoint-app

I was rather surprised by that and was just wondering what people thought about it here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize this article would generate such a response when I posted it -- but it seems like most people think the app shouldn't exist.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-senators-tell-apple-and-others-to-remove-dui-checkpoint-app

I was rather surprised by that and was just wondering what people thought about it here.

It's my understanding that here in CA they are required to post when and where the checkpoints arem. So if that is really the case that app shoild not be illegal.

It's my understanding that here in CA they are required to post when and where the checkpoints arem. So if that is really the case that app shoild not be illegal.

That's one of the common arguments if you read the thread on the post -- it's public information anyway and most places give you the ability to bypass the checkpoint by using side streets.

I can't say that I've ever seen a checkpoint in Minnesota, so I'm not sure if they're legal here. The article says that they're not legal in Oregon.

If we outlaw apps to pinpoints DUI checkpoints, then only outlaws will have apps that pinpoint DUI checkpoints.

Can't see why such an app should be illegal. Apple has every right to reject that app from their app store. But if somebody wants to write a 3rd party app and publish it on their own website, so be it.

That's one of the common arguments if you read the thread on the post -- it's public information anyway and most places give you the ability to bypass the checkpoint by using side streets.

I can't say that I've ever seen a checkpoint in Minnesota, so I'm not sure if they're legal here. The article says that they're not legal in Oregon.

I didn't have a chance to read your link. And yes they have to provide an out here to. I think it has to do with entrapment

Edited by Chef Jim

If we outlaw apps to pinpoints DUI checkpoints, then only outlaws will have apps that pinpoint DUI checkpoints.

Can't see why such an app should be illegal. Apple has every right to reject that app from their app store. But if somebody wants to write a 3rd party app and publish it on their own website, so be it.

Nothing is illegal for the right price

no! police checkpoints are unconstitutional and something i would expect in Burma- not the US. And now some think an app that gives that public information should be illegal. None are more hopelessly enslaved then those that falsely believe they are free

no! police checkpoints are unconstitutional and something i would expect in Burma- not the US. And now some think an app that gives that public information should be illegal. None are more hopelessly enslaved then those that falsely believe they are free

Yeah because getting drunk drivers off the road is a really bad idea. I think your weed is making you a bit paranoid.

Yeah because getting drunk drivers off the road is a really bad idea. I think your weed is making you a bit paranoid.

What makes you think that getting drunk drivers off the road for the safety of every sober driver out there is a good thing? Don't you understand that infringing on the rights of the drunk to drive is wrong?

Going back a ways I think that Washington was in the wrong to attack the Hessian outpost at Trenton. That wasn't fair because he knew they'd be sleeping off their New Year's drunkenness. Washington was a jerk!

I know in my area of PA they have to make a public notice that there will be a DUI checkpoint on such date, but don't give the location. We actually asked a friend who was a state cop and he stated that they don't even know where they are going until the time comes to head out.

I think that if a drunk can actually take the time to look up one of these checkpoints on his phone and avoid it, he's probably not all that impaired anyway. Then again, I don't have too much experience here, so I could be way off base.