Can't hit the QB in the act of throwing

This is the most unbelieveable thing i have ever heard of in the nfl....Cant hit a qb in the act of throwing...So lets give mmanning and brady more time and why dont we jsut take the whole offensive line out of the game. If we cant hit the qb their is no point to a offensive line unless you are running the ball. The nfl is a joke man taking a challenge out of the equation and now not hitting the qb in the act of throwing..It will never happen but that they even are considering it is mind boggeling.

This is the most unbelieveable thing i have ever heard of in the nfl....Cant hit a qb in the act of throwing...So lets give mmanning and brady more time and why dont we jsut take the whole offensive line out of the game. If we cant hit the qb their is no point to a offensive line unless you are running the ball. The nfl is a joke man taking a challenge out of the equation and now not hitting the qb in the act of throwing..It will never happen but that they even are considering it is mind boggeling.

Link?

*Can't make helmet to helmet hit on QB in the act of throwing, he's defenseless.

This was 1 of 5 defenseless hits the NFL plans to crack down more on next year(if there's a season). This was all in an ESPN article, which I'm assuming the OP read incorrectly. It did not at all say you couldn't hit the QB when he was throwing.

Other defenseless players:

-Receiver who just caught a pass

-Punt returner who just caught the punt

-When forward progress has been stopped

-Gang tackles

Also in the article was:

-Changing touchbacks to the 25 yard line, only on kick offs

-Kicking off from the 35 yard line

The NFL clearly wants to protect QBs – I get it. But why haven’t they made THE MOST OBVIOUS RULE CHANGE to protect the QB – LET THE OL HOLD MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so obvious it’s funny really. Don’t want the QB hit in the head? Let the OL hold more. Don’t want the QB hit below the knee? Let the OL hold more. Don’t want QBs hit - AT ALL - (like they currently enforce) LET THE DANG OL HOLD MORE!!!!!!!!!! There – less hits on the QB and us fans wont have to watch fags like Brady screaming that his too-too got dirty after a perfectly legal hit and the flags come a flying.

Id rather see that then QBs getting bear-hugged and let go without the whistle being blown (Mathis Kiwinuka on VY) because he is scared to get a penalty. Or worse yet the D getting a flag for hugging the QB and placing him gently on the ground (like that call a few years back on Cincy vrs Tampa Bay when Justin Smith slowly placed Bruce Gradkowski on the ground, then got a 15 yard penalty that put TB in FG range to win the game. FYI Cinci missed the playoffs that year by 1 game. If that p****y called wasn’t made they would have made the playoffs)

I mean these rules are getting ridiculous. Eliminating gang tackles? Cant hit a player after forward progress has been stopped? How many times have we seen guys like AP or Steven Jackson run into a pile, throw like 3 guys off of them, then torch 60 yards? Now you aren’t allowed to gang tackle those guys? Gimme a break. If they want to enforce that then the only way to keep it from getting ridiculous is to start blowing the whistle the INSTANT they stop moving forward. AKA you don’t have to tackle to runner anymore just stick him. What a joke. The worst part of these rule changes is that they inevitable start to affect college and HS rules too, which ruin those games. In my entire years of watching football, I witnessed 1 player – only 1 player – get hurt from a “horse collar tackle” (it was TO). The next season those tackles are illegal – WTF? The following season its illegal in college too, and illegal in HS football the next. Holy butt fuk Batman – 1 guy gets hurt in the last 10 years and now all of football is worse off?

I could deal with the NFL ruining the NFL (the NFL can’t compete with college IMO) but when they start to ruin college (instant replay sucks too, which was adopted by college bc of the NFL) and HIGH SCHOOL football I really start to get annoyed.

The NFL clearly wants to protect QBs – I get it. But why haven’t they made THE MOST OBVIOUS RULE CHANGE to protect the QB – LET THE OL HOLD MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so obvious it’s funny really. Don’t want the QB hit in the head? Let the OL hold more. Don’t want the QB hit below the knee? Let the OL hold more. Don’t want QBs hit - AT ALL - (like they currently enforce) LET THE DANG OL HOLD MORE!!!!!!!!!! There – less hits on the QB and us fans wont have to watch fags like Brady screaming that his too-too got dirty after a perfectly legal hit and the flags come a flying.

Id rather see that then QBs getting bear-hugged and let go without the whistle being blown (Mathis Kiwinuka on VY) because he is scared to get a penalty. Or worse yet the D getting a flag for hugging the QB and placing him gently on the ground (like that call a few years back on Cincy vrs Tampa Bay when Justin Smith slowly placed Bruce Gradkowski on the ground, then got a 15 yard penalty that put TB in FG range to win the game. FYI Cinci missed the playoffs that year by 1 game. If that p****y called wasn’t made they would have made the playoffs)

I mean these rules are getting ridiculous. Eliminating gang tackles? Cant hit a player after forward progress has been stopped? How many times have we seen guys like AP or Steven Jackson run into a pile, throw like 3 guys off of them, then torch 60 yards? Now you aren’t allowed to gang tackle those guys? Gimme a break. If they want to enforce that then the only way to keep it from getting ridiculous is to start blowing the whistle the INSTANT they stop moving forward. AKA you don’t have to tackle to runner anymore just stick him. What a joke. The worst part of these rule changes is that they inevitable start to affect college and HS rules too, which ruin those games. In my entire years of watching football, I witnessed 1 player – only 1 player – get hurt from a “horse collar tackle” (it was TO). The next season those tackles are illegal – WTF? The following season its illegal in college too, and illegal in HS football the next. Holy butt fuk Batman – 1 guy gets hurt in the last 10 years and now all of football is worse off?

I could deal with the NFL ruining the NFL (the NFL can’t compete with college IMO) but when they start to ruin college (instant replay sucks too, which was adopted by college bc of the NFL) and HIGH SCHOOL football I really start to get annoyed.

Roy Williams damn near ended about a half dozen careers that season alone. It wasn't just TO.

Otherwise those are all rules already really. The only change ice heard is the kickoff/touchback rule. Just saying.

*Can't make helmet to helmet hit on QB in the act of throwing, he's defenseless.

This was 1 of 5 defenseless hits the NFL plans to crack down more on next year(if there's a season). This was all in an ESPN article, which I'm assuming the OP read incorrectly. It did not at all say you couldn't hit the QB when he was throwing.

Other defenseless players:

-Receiver who just caught a pass

-Punt returner who just caught the punt

-When forward progress has been stopped

-Gang tackles

Also in the article was:

-Changing touchbacks to the 25 yard line, only on kick offs

-Kicking off from the 35 yard line

Blame those 2 on the refs. Blow your farkin whistle and stop the play.

The one exception to the rule will be if a Bills RB is trying to run out the clock but is being held up by 10 members of the defense and they strip the ball. <_<

Roy Williams damn near ended about a half dozen careers that season alone. It wasn't just TO.

Otherwise those are all rules already really. The only change ice heard is the kickoff/touchback rule. Just saying.

Yeah none of this is of concern to me at all. I'm sure once the flags start flying when (insert 1st round pick here) clocks Brady I'll be pretty upset.

Did half of you guys even really read the article? It says, not very effectively albeit, that the NFL is looking to crack down on hits to the head and neck of defenseless players. Defenseless players were described as follows:

» A quarterback in the act of throwing;

» A receiver trying to catch a pass;

» A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;

» A player fielding a punt or a kickoff;

» A kicker or punter during the kick;

» A quarterback at any time after change of possession;

» A receiver who receives a blind-side block;

» A player already on the ground.

It does not say you can't hit a QB throwing. It says you can't hit a QB in the head when he's throwing.

Did half of you guys even really read the article? It says, not very effectively albeit, that the NFL is looking to crack down on hits to the head and neck of defenseless players. Defenseless players were described as follows:

» A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;

It does not say you can't hit a QB throwing. It says you can't hit a QB in the head when he's throwing.

sh... the literacy rate of the members of the board is lower than that of Sarah Palin's twitter followers.

what that article doesn't say and may be implied is that you can hit a QB in the head when he's not throwing :devil: ... Get'er done Poz, take out Brady ":pirate:

The article mentioned eliminting the wedge on kickoffs due to the numer of injuries during returns. I was a bit taken back by this as at least for the Bills I do't recall that many injuries on ST's (clearly Everett is an exception).

And I believe that was actually before they changed to a 2 man wedge instead of a 4 man wedge. Since 09 when they changed the wedge rule I really haven't seen(or at least hear of) many injuries during the kickoff as a result of the wedge so I don't get what the big deal is over it.

Basically they are trying to make the kickoff worthless. Kicking from the 35 will make things more dangerous IMO. Pretty much every kicker in the league can kick the ball into the endzone; except Lindell.

To me this means that more kickers will be able to put more height on the ball and players can get downfield quicker. Without the wedge at all they will have 2-3 players with a full head of steam coming down field ready to pop a guy that has only 1 person within 2 yards to protect him.

I know the ball gets there much faster than the players but no wedge to me seems like they will have 1,2 or even 3 guys converging on one player within a 1/2 second and increasing the likelihood of an injury.

Just one mans opinion.

Yes, that was pointed out earlier.

sh... the literacy rate of the members of the board is lower than that of Sarah Palin's twitter followers.

what that article doesn't say and may be implied is that you can hit a QB in the head when he's not throwing :devil: ... Get'er done Poz, take out Brady ":pirate:

+2

I knew you understood it BB, but it didn't appear that the posters after you did

Edited by WVUFootball29

And I believe that was actually before they changed to a 2 man wedge instead of a 4 man wedge. Since 09 when they changed the wedge rule I really haven't seen(or at least hear of) many injuries during the kickoff as a result of the wedge so I don't get what the big deal is over it.

Basically they are trying to make the kickoff worthless. Kicking from the 35 will make things more dangerous IMO. Pretty much every kicker in the league can kick the ball into the endzone; except Lindell.

To me this means that more kickers will be able to put more height on the ball and players can get downfield quicker. Without the wedge at all they will have 2-3 players with a full head of steam coming down field ready to pop a guy that has only 1 person within 2 yards to protect him.

I know the ball gets there much faster than the players but no wedge to me seems like they will have 1,2 or even 3 guys converging on one player within a 1/2 second and increasing the likelihood of an injury.

Just one mans opinion.

Couple this with no running start for the kick team and I see it turning towards punt return dynamics, but with a little more space

I've never seen a bomb kick get someone killed and they do exist now.

Edited by NoSaint

They were released last week! Pass rushers can no longer hit the QB while he is in the act of throwing, as he is considered a defenseless player. Receivers attempting to catch the ball are also defenseless.

To me, this puts a premium on the passing game on offense, and coverage guys on defense. Pass rushers will be rendered useless, although their skills will be useful if they can cover and run down plays.

I would not take a defensive lineman in the first round. If I went defense, I would take Patrick Peterson or the guy from Colorado and move McKelvin to free safety.

I think defenses will have to get smaller and more athletic. Whitner (if he comes back) could get a look at inside/middle linebacker, as he will be able to cover better than the old style linebacker. I wonder if Maybin could get a look inside or on the line, or if he will be just as bad in the new style.

I expect that this will bring the spread offense to the NFL, as the QB won't get hit much. Which opens the door for a lot more QB's. The game should be like an Arena game or a basketball game.