Kapernick

Thud

I have seen several of his games but does his skills tramslate to the next level? His production was off the charts but does it count? I would love to see him work out at round two or three. Thoughts?

I have seen several of his games but does his skills tramslate to the next level? His production was off the charts but does it count? I would love to see him work out at round two or three. Thoughts?

Probably, not. Not many QB's like him have had success in the pros. Isn't a good enough passer to be considered anything more than a raw developmental project. He's got a big arm, so technically he should have a better chance than guys like Brad Smith and Dennis Dixon, but history is not on his side.

I wish he had played in a more NFLish offense

I believe based on his comments Chan does not run or believe future offenses should be traditional NFL-ish offense. In fact, if he had the players (like Kaepernick) his offense would be even less NFL - ish and more like the Pistol offense he prefers and Kaep ran for 4 years. Give me Kaep in the 2nd or 3rd round over Newton in the first any day. Newton is a newby, a hyped up neophyte who has played a dozen competitive games since high school. Ridiculous the hype the guy gets.

I believe based on his comments Chan does not run or believe future offenses should be traditional NFL-ish offense. In fact, if he had the players (like Kaepernick) his offense would be even less NFL - ish and more like the Pistol offense he prefers and Kaep ran for 4 years. Give me Kaep in the 2nd or 3rd round over Newton in the first any day. Newton is a newby, a hyped up neophyte who has played a dozen competitive games since high school. Ridiculous the hype the guy gets.

This.

Kaepernick has the strongest arm in the draft and is very mobile and did very well with GMs at the combine, is smart and good work ethic. Would take him in the second but still think Gabbert is our best option in the first.

Simply not true. He has a 25-1 record as a college QB. Some of these came at the JC level, but if you're going to chide this, remember Aaron Rodgers came from JC as well.

Why? Because 6'6" QBS with great mobility and a strong arm who won in the toughest conference in college grow on trees?

amen brother

Simply not true. He has a 25-1 record as a college QB. Some of these came at the JC level, but if you're going to chide this, remember Aaron Rodgers came from JC as well.

Why? Because 6'6" QBS with great mobility and a strong arm who won in the toughest conference in college grow on trees?

i understand the juco is common for college athletes, but you dont draft somebody in the 1st round of the nfl draft, and use juco as evidence.

this is neither pro nor anti newton, just something that drives me crazy with the talk about him.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of picking this guy in the 3rd round if he's there. I like his athleticism, leadership, and experience playing the position. While I'm still not a Chan backer I do believe that he can correct any downside to Kaepernick's game. He could turn out to be like Jamarcus Russell with no pocket awareness and no accuracy or he could prove to have more than just a strong arm like Cutler did. I don't mind taking that chance in round 3.

I really like this kid. His college stats are amazing and really hard to argue with. The kid did it for 4 years and did it well. I think Kaepernick and Newton are on Chans radar for sure because what he wants out of his QB. Personally I like both of them because of this reason. Simply put, Chan can give these QBs a chance to flourish under his system. I think both of them would do very well here. Kaepernick may need a little more time than Newt but they should be good QBs at the next level. I'd take Newt in the 1st or a monster like Bowers or Quinn there and take Kaep in the 2nd or 3rd any day and consider that one hell of a draft based on those 2 picks alone. Let's take his Kaeps TE Virgil Green though if we take him. It would be an instant comfort level for him since he's worked with him for years. I'm game for Colin. Bring him in.