Gailey talks at the Combine

boyst

Real question: is fitz signed 1 more year or 2? If just 1 year I would say the lack of contract talks speak volumes about the long term commitment. Still a ton of time - not saying it's the end all. But reading the clues, I see a qb sooner rather than later.

1 more year, and normally Id completely agree, but it might just be the CBA dispute that is putting a hold on that.

Even if we do draft a QB #3, I hope we extend Fitz for a few more years.

Although, he's already making about $4mil/season so Im not sure what they can extend him at. But luckily, QB is a good position to invest money in.

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 more year, and normally Id completely agree, but it might just be the CBA dispute that is putting a hold on that.

Even if we do draft a QB #3, I hope we extend Fitz for a few more years.

Although, he's already making about $4mil/season so Im not sure what they can extend him at. But luckily, QB is a good position to invest money in.

I agree on the CBA front - just surprised we've heard nothing.

If he's at 4mill you can kick him to 5 in 2012, 6.5 the next year, 8.5ish in 2013...

That certainly shouldn't be a limiting factor. I know getting a cap in place is a big deal. I'm just really surprised they don't tear up the deal and give home something like 2 years at 8-10 million.

Edited by NoSaint

No, exactly the opposite actually.

He says he likes Fitz, but isnt sure if he is a "Franchise" guy. Then says, "but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it."

If they truly think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, they HAVE to and will, pick him at #3.

Maybe-sorta-kinda guessing and hoping on a late round guy is a waste of a pick and a waste of time. Either there is someone there we LOVE so much we must pick him at #3, or stay with Fitz who he thinks can get us into the playoffs.

If they like Cam enough, you're right, he's gone at three. I find it telling that Chan wants to see his football smarts...in particular reading pro defenses and not the one-check down system Cam played at Auburn. I feel Cam is not going to be able to read a pro defense anytime soon and the "hike and the ball is out" or as Chan said "read the end on an option" skills he now has will not cut it in the NFL. I guess Chan will know it when he sees it. So I'm not sold that if they don't pick a QB at #3, they wouldn't take on in the second or third round. Chan may see something he likes in one of the other guys.

He says he likes Fitz, but isnt sure if he is a "Franchise" guy. Then says, "but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it."

If they truly think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, they HAVE to and will, pick him at #3.

Maybe-sorta-kinda guessing and hoping on a late round guy is a waste of a pick and a waste of time. Either there is someone there we LOVE so much we must pick him at #3, or stay with Fitz who he thinks can get us into the playoffs.

In one of the other “Qialeys Comments” threads posted today, the one with the WGR link to the transcript, Gailey says this:

On how difficult it is to look at a quarterback who has started only one season:

Experience always helps. I don’t care if you’re in your position out there, if you’re in my position up here or if you’re a player, experience helps. The more times that you have played in big situations, in front of big crowds and in big games it helps you. I don’t think developing the one-year guy is as big as developing the guy that has not been in a typical pro-style type of offense. I think when you’re trying to change a guy’s thought process into a certain mode that’s a little harder to me than it is to take a guy that’s a one-year guy. A one-year guy that had been in the pro-type offense, to me he’s going to understand and be further along than the guy who was one-year in a non-traditional style pro offense. I think that’s the best way to answer it.

He goes on to say:

On his thoughts of Auburn QB Cam Newton:

I’m anxious to see him to continue to work out. I’m anxious to see what he’s going to do here this week. He obviously had a great year. I watched him several times on TV. I have not studied him to this point yet. I’ve looked at a little bit of tape, but have not studied him. He’s a big athlete that is in that Wildcat mode, but obviously has the ability maybe to go to a drop-back passer mode.

WTF!!!!!!!!! You havent studied Newton yet!?!?! What have you been doing since early January??? He is only the biggest prospect out there – playing QB – with huge red flags and questions about “can he play in the NFL” and you need to know full damned well what you are getting. The Combine started today – and you havent even studied him? Holy butt f*** Batman! Go lock him in the room with some game tape and do your F’ing job. You are the HC and OC of an NFL team in desperate need of a QB – and you havent looked at any tape of the top prospect? What a joke this team is.

Highlights from Chan Gailey's presser at the Combine/ ESPN Tim Graham

http://espn.go.com/b...iley-at-combine

He is "anxious" to see Auburn quarterback Cam Newton work out in Lucas Oil Stadium and called him "a big athlete that's in that Wildcat mode, but obviously has the ability to go to the dropback-passer mode."

Gailey claimed he wasn't concerned with Newton being a one-year starter at Auburn.

Ten years ago, the NFL dictated to colleges how quarterbacks should play. In the next decade, Gailey foresees college football dictating how the NFL uses the quarterbacks who emerge from whatever offenses work in college.

Chan Gailey Transcript/WGR 550 Sports radio http://wgr550.com/Ch...ne-2-24/9274268

Thanks for posting, Fig.

Thank you, jboyst62!

You have a future in stenography.

What I take from that is Fitz is our man for the foreseeable future and we won't be drafting Newton <because he won't be our 1st pick and not likely there in Rd. 2>. Depending on FA, we'll be going heavy DL "we have to get stronger and more physical up front" in the draft. He's publically blaming himself for Spiller -but CJ HAS to get better quickly..

Seems to me, he thinks like most of us do.:thumbsup:

Chandler it sounds like you are reading into that what you want......imo that means we are going to draft a QB with that 3rd pick and groom him.....but that Fitz is going to be the starter right now? Frankly I dont see how you can read it otherwise.

WTF!!!!!!!!! You havent studied Newton yet!?!?! What have you been doing since early January??? He is only the biggest prospect out there – playing QB – with huge red flags and questions about “can he play in the NFL” and you need to know full damned well what you are getting. The Combine started today – and you havent even studied him? Holy butt f*** Batman! Go lock him in the room with some game tape and do your F’ing job. You are the HC and OC of an NFL team in desperate need of a QB – and you havent looked at any tape of the top prospect? What a joke this team is.

I honestly dont believe that for one second. I bet if the mic was off and it was between you and him, Gailey could tell you about every Auburn game from last season.

It's the week of the combine and 2 months (ugh) before the draft. I dont think hes going to tip his hand and say "Ive been watching tape all winter! This is our guy!" on record.

This is all these guys do. Its their entire life. He's seen tape of Newton.

WTF!!!!!!!!! You havent studied Newton yet!?!?! What have you been doing since early January??? He is only the biggest prospect out there playing QB with huge red flags and questions about can he play in the NFL and you need to know full damned well what you are getting. The Combine started today and you havent even studied him? Holy butt f*** Batman! Go lock him in the room with some game tape and do your Fing job. You are the HC and OC of an NFL team in desperate need of a QB and you havent looked at any tape of the top prospect? What a joke this team is.

maybe Chan's focused on the D-line guys for that #3 pick. Maybe he has a QB in mind in 2nd rnd, in Ponder or Dalton ??

Or, what Dank says above, a bluff.

Edited by dgrid

Who says Newton is the biggest prospect playing QB you and some basement scouts? Newton is a 1 year wonder and I will be shocked if we draft him after Nix said he wants to see a body of work not some 1 year wonder alah Maybin.

The HC spoke in the standard coach-speak language. It was non-substative. The substance of his comments are just as non-illuminating as what any other HC or GM would say at this point in an offseason interview.

It's amusing how some people translate his generic comments in the way they want to hear them while others translate his comments exactly the opposite way. What did you expect him to say? Did you expect him to tell you how his draft board is stacked?

I'm afraid that is going to mean "leave him on the bench" <_<

Regarding what he said about QB - did anyone think we are going to add a late round groom QB prospect? Chan says he likes Fitz, could get us to the playoffs, but he isn’t our franchise guy because he is older. He said they want to go with fitz and add someone to be the franchise QB. Well a late round guy may be that guy. Considering Gaileys history with late round QBs/nobodies I bet that’s the route they go. Dalton or Kapernaek perhaps? Hopefully its not in the 1st two rounds though, I want instant starters.

A couple of things

- I think that they did figure out how to use CJ better towards the latter part of the year....and it def does not involve having him on the bench.

- Nothing in that transcrib makes me beleive they are going to wait till later in the draft to get a QB.....and I happen to like Andy Dalton. What I took from that is when they were questioning CAMS comments he defended him.....when he was talking about Fitz he was saying he is his starter but for the good of the organization if you have a franchise QB there at 3 then you draft him.....but he wants to find out whether or not Cam has it upstairs and will do that through his combine interviews

In my opinion....this did nothing but strengthen my beleive that they are going to take Cam Newton....stash him away for a year (maybe even 2) under Fitz.....and start looking for big boys on defense.

In one of the other “Qialeys Comments” threads posted today, the one with the WGR link to the transcript, Gailey says this:

On how difficult it is to look at a quarterback who has started only one season:

Experience always helps. I don’t care if you’re in your position out there, if you’re in my position up here or if you’re a player, experience helps. The more times that you have played in big situations, in front of big crowds and in big games it helps you. I don’t think developing the one-year guy is as big as developing the guy that has not been in a typical pro-style type of offense. I think when you’re trying to change a guy’s thought process into a certain mode that’s a little harder to me than it is to take a guy that’s a one-year guy. A one-year guy that had been in the pro-type offense, to me he’s going to understand and be further along than the guy who was one-year in a non-traditional style pro offense. I think that’s the best way to answer it.

He goes on to say:

On his thoughts of Auburn QB Cam Newton:

I’m anxious to see him to continue to work out. I’m anxious to see what he’s going to do here this week. He obviously had a great year. I watched him several times on TV. I have not studied him to this point yet. I’ve looked at a little bit of tape, but have not studied him. He’s a big athlete that is in that Wildcat mode, but obviously has the ability maybe to go to a drop-back passer mode.

This team is not in "desperate need of a QB" because Chan has confidence in Fitz....as a matter of fact it doesn't matter if they did go QB at 3 Fitz would STILL be the man at QB this year.

Chandler it sounds like you are reading into that what you want......imo that means we are going to draft a QB with that 3rd pick and groom him.....but that Fitz is going to be the starter right now? Frankly I dont see how you can read it otherwise.

Maybe it's a lack of voice inflection, John.. By how many questions he asked himself about Cam -with recognition that what he's seen is simple QB stuff- he'll be very selective of who -if anyone- he/they may consider as a future QB. There simply isn't a strong enough 'book' on Newton -the 1 year wonder. He was quite definitive though, regarding 'MUST improve DL'. By many accounts, next year's college QB class will be much stronger and it isn't an absolute need at this time.

Maybe I'm right, maybe you're right, maybe we're both wrong.

I honestly dont believe that for one second. I bet if the mic was off and it was between you and him, Gailey could tell you about every Auburn game from last season.

It's the week of the combine and 2 months (ugh) before the draft. I dont think hes going to tip his hand and say "Ive been watching tape all winter! This is our guy!" on record.

This is all these guys do. Its their entire life. He's seen tape of Newton.

Not to mention that Gailey is likely much more involved in current Bills player analysis than collegiate scouting. I'm not saying the 2 don't cross over, but Nix and co. are more likely to be heavily invested in collegiate players while Gailey was probably more invested in end of the season reviews and "which of these 60-odd guys currently on my team do i want on my team next year."

Gailey said Fitz is good enough to get to the CHAMPIONSHIP game. If thats not a ringing endorsement of how he feels about the teams priorities , then I dont know what is. Getting to the championship game is what its all about.

Besides , all this talk and clamoring by some, for Cam Newton is ridiculous. IMO , it would be more wise to address the defense this year , see how well or how bad Fitz is next year , and then address the QB position if needed. The 2012 Draft offers much more promise and just as much upside as this year does , with less risk. Selecting a player #3 with so much in question surrounding him is NOT where I would want to pin the future of my franchise on.

Edited by stevecana

Gailey said Fitz is good enough to get to the CHAMPIONSHIP game. If thats not a ringing endorsement of how he feels about the teams priorities , then I dont know what is. Getting to the championship game is what its all about.

Besides , all this talk and clamoring by some, for Cam Newton is ridiculous. IMO , it would be more wise to address the defense this year , see how well or how bad Fitz is next year , and then address the QB position if needed. The 2012 Draft offers much more promise and just as much upside as this year does , with less risk. Selecting a player #3 with so much in question surrounding him is NOT where I would want to pin the future of my franchise on.

1. This "Next year's draft has better QBs" argument is BOGUS. Same thing they said LAST year, same thing they said the YEAR BEFORE that as well. If you are sitting in a position to take a Franchise QB, and if you are like the Bills and havent had one in 25 years... You pick him.

2. Fitz is going into his last year of his contract, which means that as of 2012, we do NOT have a QB unless they plan on extending Fitz. If you wait until next year to address QB, you will end up having to throw a rookie into the fire from the start of the season. Why not draft a guy this year (if there is one you like), and allow him a year to get up to speed on the new offense and Pro game?

As it stands, this Bills team RIGHT NOW is the perfect situation for a rookie QB to come to. Next year will be much trickier.

This argument has nothing to do with a specific QB prospect. Im speaking about the situation in general.

2. Fitz is going into his last year of his contract, which means that as of 2012, we do NOT have a QB unless they plan on extending Fitz. If you wait until next year to address QB, you will end up having to throw a rookie into the fire from the start of the season. Why not draft a guy this year (if there is one you like), and allow him a year to get up to speed on the new offense and Pro game?

As it stands, this Bills team RIGHT NOW is the perfect situation for a rookie QB to come to. Next year will be much trickier.

This argument has nothing to do with a specific QB prospect. Im speaking about the situation in general.

absolutely. dont think there's much chance they dont draft a QB at all, let alone in the top rounds.