Gailey talks at the Combine

boyst

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills won't take newton, too much of a risk for RW.

every possible indication in the world says you are wrong.

ralph said he wants a qb.

he is going to have to pay someone in that 3 slot, and cam will sell more then enough in jerseys and tickets to make up for his premium over a guy like dareus, or cam jordan at DE.

fitz is still sans any kind of extension.

ralph has taken risks on tons of qbs - jim kelly? rob johnson? drew bledsoe? jp losman?

did my best guys to get all this stuff typed up. I am a fast typer and can pretty much keep up with people talking, but Gailey mumbles so dang much it got challenging, even after backing up. I know not all of you have Sirius, and I people will be curious what he said. I stayed in from spreading fertilizer to hear this and type it all up for us...so...

Chan Gailey on Sirius

The Combine will not change the majority of what you have seen for 9 months, but you are just making sure he looks like he fits, he is healthy and maybe he'll have some good 40 times and perform well.

On the Steelers, and last season:

"We were 25% successful" in a win, bottom line business. They built a foundation, and found things that they can grow on / answers. They found the answer on QB, and they found out they had more then Lee Evans at WR." EXACTLY QUOTED

Drafted players:

The majority of them will help us improve, and the OL has improved.

Nix found some great guys to put on "our" football team at OL

On Fitz:

Improvement - "As time went on during the season he had a much better understanding of what we were trying to do offensively" - - routes, defenses, plays. "The great thing about Fitz is I can talk to him about terms, and he understands." "He understands how important it is not to take sacks or throw INT's and got enough gunslinger in him to make him dangerous. -" EXACTLY QUOTED

Fitz or draft.

Q: We get a lot of Bills fans calling us up and asking us if they will take a QB in the first round. Are you guys looking for a QB in the first round or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the QB of the Buffalo Bills?

"Yes on both accounts...The thing is we are fortunate to have a QB we think we can win with, we do. We think Fitz can go out there and get us to the playoffs and get us to the championship. I would not put it past him to be honest with you. I got a lot of confidence in the guy. I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it." EXACTLY QUOTED

On a QB being an entertainer, etc, basically Newton...how does it make you feel?

"I think what you, you know, tell me some things you said when you were 20 or 21 years old..." "

commentator: I want a guy studying film tape on a tuesday, etc, not filming a commercial...

"I do not disagree with that, the thing you gotta ask yourself is do you know him well enough to know is that cockyness or confidence. And there is a line there and you have to be a little bit concerned. That could be a plus, so where is the line on that, and without enoguh information I hesitate to say I do not care what was said or I do not want that guy no matter what.." "Until you get enough information as you can, don't commit."

What Does chan gailey want to know about cam

"I want to see in a short period of time how much football he knows. Pro Football he knows. Not reading the end on the option, how much pro football knowledge does he know and seem comfortable with it. I can go memorize the elements of it but I do't know chemistry. So how much does he feel comfortable with it, how much does he use it. That's the number one thing I am going to try to get out of it." EXACTLY QUOTED

The run D

"I think we have to get stronger and more physical up front, we have to be able to create run defense, whether running or movement. i do think we'll be better if we keep everyone healthy and everyone knows the system. I think adding dave wannstadt will add something to our run dfense. I think with thought processes and schemes, but i don't know that but that is the plan."

on thought process/ 3-4 / 4-3

which is better... "yes." He promoted the hybrid system, wanting to do combinations to put the best players on the field, such as Merriman and Kelsay on the field to rush the passer.

On Merriman

"we Think he has a great deal left. Nix knows him better then anyone, has a great relationship with the guy. If buddy tells me he can get healthy and make a major contribution then I believe that." paraphrased. He goes on to say he's confident

on CJ's production in 2010

"Not what anyone of us wanted." "No one, fans, etc." "I think everyone expected more production. I do not think it is his fault. I think it is my fault, um...the situation you are putting in a new offense trying ot find a new offense, you got that going the first few weeks. you don't have things other then him, lynch and jackson hurt all preseason and now they are back. I know they are all excuses." "but i think we know how to use him now." " i think he'll be more productive from now on." "he has to work on pass protection and ball security. get good at those two, he'll have a very good buffalo bill career.

Thanx jboyst62!! We go back and forth around 130 this morning and then you come back with this! Lol good job! And thanx again

Yey, finally back and able to relax...Glad to see everyone appreciated my work...

Also, Ron Riveria came on afterward and talked pretty good about Newton, himself, but also said the Panthers have many directions they need to go. QB was a big concern.

everything I said, I'm quoting myself...because I am so cool

I got to listen to the talk again, I found it pretty interesting the way he contradicts so many previous coaches and that he talks with a confidence that others haven't had.

I'm afraid that is going to mean "leave him on the bench" <_<

I could not believe his comments on this - when we have Maybin developing on the roster and we're trying to find the place for Spiller, it makes me wonder Gaileys thoughts on some of these potential guys. No one can deny that Maybin and Spiller are not potential.

Regarding what he said about QB - did anyone think we are going to add a late round groom QB prospect? Chan says he likes Fitz, could get us to the playoffs, but he isn’t our franchise guy because he is older. He said they want to go with fitz and add someone to be the franchise QB. Well a late round guy may be that guy. Considering Gaileys history with late round QBs/nobodies I bet that’s the route they go. Dalton or Kapernaek perhaps? Hopefully its not in the 1st two rounds though, I want instant starters.

The part that stuck out with me I could not find in my quotes, although, I did not look hard, was that Gailey said that in the NFL you're in the business to win. I pretty good few lines about how winning is all that matters. It was a rambling after the first part of the interview I did not get in. The idea that he truly thinks Fitz can win a Super Bowl is something that makes me think he has his QB. Otherwise, his comments were BS, and his belief in either winning or Fitz are bunk. I was surprised Ponder didn't get brought up, as well. Although, Sirius NFL runs a mock draft a couple times a day and they are pretty big on thinking Newton is going to Buffalo - maybe they were pushing it, maybe they know more then we do?

As far as what came to me from this was that he is not going to pick a QB unless he's franchise. Now, of course, he could pick up one later, but I think Koelkljka4fpick and Ponder will go earlier then people think. I think Lucks stock has fallen more then anyone.

Highlights from Chan Gailey's presser at the Combine/ ESPN Tim Graham

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26262/highlights-from-chan-gailey-at-combine

He y-transcript-from-NFL-Combine-2-24/9274268

He certainly was a little sideways talking on the Cam Newton topic. I got from the Sirius discussions that Chan seemed to indicate that he thought of Cam Newton as a good quarterback but not exactly what he was looking for - yet - but like Thoner pointed out several times, I have to think he is not done studying him. I am sure he has a good knowledge of him already, but like Gailey said himself - he wants to put the microscope on the kid. His quote and comments there leads you to beleive he's playing coy. He has that damn Southern draw and you cant read him! Southerners do not use sarcasm, they do not get humor, they are really weird, especially Georgians. I seriously love the politics, the planning, the draft - for the science it is!!!

I also do not follow his beliefs on the NCAA QB dictating the NFL. Ludicris.

Thanx jboyst62!! We go back and forth around 130 this morning and then you come back with this! Lol good job! And thanx again

I don't sleep. Not this time of year, or Fall.

Edited by jboyst62

Yey, finally back and able to relax...Glad to see everyone appreciated my work...

Also, Ron Riveria came on afterward and talked pretty good about Newton, himself, but also said the Panthers have many directions they need to go. QB was a big concern.

I got to listen to the talk again, I found it pretty interesting the way he contradicts so many previous coaches and that he talks with a confidence that others haven't had.

I could not believe his comments on this - when we have Maybin developing on the roster and we're trying to find the place for Spiller, it makes me wonder Gaileys thoughts on some of these potential guys. No one can deny that Maybin and Spiller are not potential.

I deny this. I don't see much potential in Maybin (Spiller I can see). I see an Erik Flowers-type of career.

The HC spoke in the standard coach-speak language. It was non-substative. The substance of his comments are just as non-illuminating as what any other HC or GM would say at this point in an offseason interview.

It's amusing how some people translate his generic comments in the way they want to hear them while others translate his comments exactly the opposite way. What did you expect him to say? Did you expect him to tell you how his draft board is stacked?

How did you interpret his comments about Spiller? :D

This I gotta hear! ;)

I see that as a bigger risk of us drafting Cam, then if he's there at 3 and we don't. That Riveria didn't give an endorsement to Clausen and said QB was a "big concern" means there's a decent chance Panthers take him. Then I see Fairley or Quinn to Denver, which I hope means Green to Buffalo.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I see that as a bigger risk of us drafting Cam, then if he's there at 3 and we don't. That Riveria didn't give an endorsement to Clausen and said QB was a "big concern" means there's a decent chance Panthers take him. Then I see Fairley or Quinn to Denver, which I hope means Green to Buffalo.

Great idea. If we can't get Green we should grab Peterson and make sure we continue to stay small, weak, and simply suck! Either one would help us a great deal to this end; why stop now? :thumbsup:

The more people look at Newton the more they are going to be impressed by him, on film and as a person/leader, believe it or not. I haven't read any of the latest Newton threads and I assume this article has been posted a lot but everyone should read it if they haven't. It's an extensive, exhaustive look at Newton, with a lot of surprising elements, IMO.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

The key to the Bills, IMO, is exactly what Gailey said it would be. They are going to sit down and talk to him, watch film with him, and listen to him dissect defenses. If they are blown away by how he watches film and what he knows about what defenses are doing, they are going to seriously consider him if he is available (I think it's more and more likely he goes #1 overall, which may be the best thing that could happen to us). Everything Gailey and Nix have said so far publicly makes sense. And while there is a lot of gamesmanship going on, the best thing the Bills can do is not tip their hat. But if they love the guy, which is very possible, they're going to take him at #3 if he is still there (I don't think there is any chance we will move up to get him.

jboyst... great job. You da man. Typing fingers with the speed of light. I'm so glad we have Gailey. Buddy will have to appease many fans on here with a great upcoming draft. If Ralph does happen to pass sooner than later, I would hope the new ownership keeps the fledgeling dynamic duo or shall I say trio (can't forget Whaley) and let's them show what they're capable of. Just my gut feeling and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Chan can analyze qb's better than almost anyone out there. If there's a qb worth getting we'll pursue him. In the process we'll upgrade our sieve of a run D.

I think its hilarious that everyone heard/read the same thing and came away with different conclusions. I guess that was some great coach speak by Gailey then, to get us all wondering what he really said.

Personally, I think if he's blown away by Cam's football IQ in the interview, he goes with him. Otherwise, he's happy with Fitz for now and goes defense with #3, taking a QB later, possibly Kaepernick.

The more people look at Newton the more they are going to be impressed by him, on film and as a person/leader, believe it or not. I haven't read any of the latest Newton threads and I assume this article has been posted a lot but everyone should read it if they haven't. It's an extensive, exhaustive look at Newton, with a lot of surprising elements, IMO.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

The key to the Bills, IMO, is exactly what Gailey said it would be. They are going to sit down and talk to him, watch film with him, and listen to him dissect defenses. If they are blown away by how he watches film and what he knows about what defenses are doing, they are going to seriously consider him if he is available (I think it's more and more likely he goes #1 overall, which may be the best thing that could happen to us). Everything Gailey and Nix have said so far publicly makes sense. And while there is a lot of gamesmanship going on, the best thing the Bills can do is not tip their hat. But if they love the guy, which is very possible, they're going to take him at #3 if he is still there (I don't think there is any chance we will move up to get him.

If the Panthers really want Cam Newton there's probably nothing we can do about it so I tend to agree with you Kelly on the trading up. If they would make a trade then the weren't going to draft him in the first place.

Myself personally, its real hard to find anything I don't like about the Auburn Tiger signal caller. Newton's an honest sincere, humble individual despite how people try take his words out of context and twist them around. The kids got a big heart and he's a student of the game of football. Cam Newton could also be one of the best athletes the National football league has ever seen.

My gut tells me Cams going to the Panthers, but if he's there at #3 there's not a doubt in my mind, Cam newton is a Buffalo Bill.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere...Good questions from Gaughan.

More Gailey at the Combine:

"Defense is where were the thinnest," Gailey told The News in an interview. "Well address all of that here in the next couple months. Well make sure we take care of the needs going into the season."

Inside linebacker is a big need. "That's one of the priorities for us this offseason," Gailey said. The Bills' coach said the team definitely will try to retain inside linebacker Paul Posluszny, whose contract is up. Adding a defensive end, due to last week's release of veteran Marcus Stroud, is another need.

"Weve got to have better pass rush when we dont blitz. We need to improve that with personnel. Now we may be able to get that in a second down situation with Merriman and Kelsay coming off each side if all goes well. You gotta stay healthy youve got to hang in there and be fortunate sometimes."

What did Gailey think of the season turned in by Leodis McKelvin? "I felt like he left something on the table. And I had this conversation with him. There were times he was banged up a little bit but I think he has the capablilty to be an extremely good corner in this league. And I hope hell commit to what he needs to commit to in the offseason to get better."

I like the fact that he has challenged McKelvin.

Myself personally, its real hard to find anything I don't like about the Auburn Tiger signal caller. Newton's an honest sincere, humble individual despite how people try take his words out of context and twist them around. The kids got a big heart and he's a student of the game of football.

I am not judging Newton…and Nix and Gailey were wise to be very non-commital about his comments.

Both were correct in saying that they hadn't seen the context of his comments and that at this point, it was not a big concern.

However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.”

However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.”

Depends on what he meant by those words.

Auburn fans were probably plenty entertained watching him this past season. Hopefully he entertains in the NFL too.

His team won the mythical National Championship

He won the Heisman.

He won the Davey O'Brien Award.

Do those three things make him an iconic figure in terms of college football?