Gailey talks at the Combine

boyst

I am not judging Newton…and Nix and Gailey were wise to be very non-commital about his comments.

Both were correct in saying that they hadn't seen the context of his comments and that at this point, it was not a big concern.

However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Depends on what he meant by those words.

Auburn fans were probably plenty entertained watching him this past season. Hopefully he entertains in the NFL too.

His team won the mythical National Championship

He won the Heisman.

He won the Davey O'Brien Award.

Do those three things make him an iconic figure in terms of college football?

The Bills will probably take their alloted 15 minutes with Newton this week. In addition, I expect that they'll bring him in for a visit. At that time they can spend almost as much time with him as they want.

Probably they'll do some more background work on him too.

By the time of the draft, they should have as good a handle as possible on whether they have concerns about him having any diva-type concerns.

I have no opinion about his comments…but they are a part of the conversation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.”

If he had left out seeing himself as a football player as well as an entertainer and icon, then I'd be concerned about these totally innocuous remarks. Football players ARE entertainers. Star footballs players DO reach iconic status in our media fed, fan frenzied land. I believe he was projecting himself in the future. If he does reach entertainer/icon status, the team he plays for will be very happy.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not judging Newton…and Nix and Gailey were wise to be very non-commital about his comments.

Both were correct in saying that they hadn't seen the context of his comments and that at this point, it was not a big concern.

However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.”

Cam, in the wake of the huge Under Armor deal you just signed, why in your mind would Under Armor feel that they could benefit from an endorsement with Cam Newton?

Cam: I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and an icon (and its already true San Jose)

Edited by Fig Newton

Cam, in the wake of the huge Under Armor deal you just signed, why in your mind would Under Armor feel that they could benefit from an endorsement with Cam Newton?

Cam: I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and an icon (and its already true San Jose)

Language is interesting, isn't it? Without the context of the question, his statement becomes fodder for those seeking reasons to knock him. And while I'm sure San Jose didn't mean to "twist" the statement, that's what results without the context.

Cam Newton may indeed end up being a jerk (personally, I think he's very well spoken) but he isn't one for making that statement.

GO BILLS!!!

Language is interesting, isn't it? Without the context of the question, his statement becomes fodder for those seeking reasons to knock him. And while I'm sure San Jose didn't mean to "twist" the statement, that's what results without the context.

Cam Newton may indeed end up being a jerk (personally, I think he's very well spoken) but he isn't one for making that statement.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree K-9, and I have much respect for San Jose, but what are folks supposed to believe when something is taken out of context and plastered everywhere you look.

I blame SI, its piss poor journalism, don't have a story, manufacture one. Its to bad because Cam Newton is a humble person according to his teammates and coaches.

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy...

Hey Fig.

I'm not disputing your transcript of the conversation but I know the original report was from Peter King Tweeting Newton's comment based on their private phone conversation. At the time of his tweet, King never mentioned what Newton's comment was in reply to (BTW, I don't follow anyone on Twitter). The King tweet was picked up by media outlets without any context…because King gave none at the time.

Do you know for sure that was the question Newton was responding to? Was this subsequently clarified by Peter King?

Just curious and thanks.

Hey Fig.

I'm not disputing your transcript of the conversation but I know the original report was from Peter King Tweeting Newton's comment based on their private phone conversation. At the time of his tweet, King never mentioned what Newton's comment was in reply to (BTW, I don't follow anyone on Twitter). The King tweet was picked up by media outlets without any context…because King gave none at the time.

Do you know for sure that was the question Newton was responding to? Was this subsequently clarified by Peter King?

Just curious and thanks.

It was brought up on the Mike and Mike show and according to them Cam was answering an Under Armor question. I was speculating on the actual question.

Can't find a transcript ,but here's something http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=334569

Edited by Fig Newton

I agree K-9, and I have much respect for San Jose, but what are folks supposed to believe when something is taken out of context and plastered everywhere you look.

I blame SI, its piss poor journalism, don't have a story, manufacture one. Its to bad because Cam Newton is a humble person according to his teammates and coaches.

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy...

That context doesn't change my impression of what he said AT ALL.

It's a guy falling into the trap of listening to his PR team (using the term "icon" to refer to himself?)

"What we're going to establish for you Cam, is an iconic presence"

That context doesn't change my impression of what he said AT ALL.

It's a guy falling into the trap of listening to his PR team (using the term "icon" to refer to himself?)

"What we're going to establish for you Cam, is an iconic presence"

Cam Newton is already an icon and you know what he does with it? he uses it as a tool and steers children that idolize him into doing better in school. My bro seen Cam at a mall in Georgia a few weeks back and he was getting followed around by about 40 people, half of them kids and teenagers. He said Cam didn't seem to mind it a bit and took it all in stride.

Edited by Fig Newton

For all the detractors harping on him about the arrogance of that statement (and I understand their concern when it is taken out of context), I'm now thinking that I LIKE what he said. Especially when you "get over it" and read it in context with the question.

It shows that he understands the responsibilities and scrutiny that he will be faced with when he comes into the NFL. Successful QBs ARE entertainers and icons. And if this is the life you are trying to build, you better be ready for the crap that comes with it.

Again, Im just finding the silver lining because I dont think its fair that ANY of us make character judgments on someone we dont know and have never met.

I leave it up to Nix/Gailey to find out where his head is really at, and in the meantime, give the kid the benefit of the doubt based on his success and what Ive seen from him so far both on and off the field

Cam Newton is already an icon and you know what he does with it? he uses it as a tool and steers children that idolize him into doing better in school. My bro seen Cam at a mall in Georgia a few weeks back and he was getting followed around by about 40 people, half of them kids and teenagers. He said Cam didn't seem to mind it a bit and took it all in stride.

Ugh. I think you are too easily impressed.....

However, the fact does remain (and I'm not attempting to "twist" anything), that Newton said "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

sounds good to me

I am entertained when my team scores a lot and wins

not so much when they are painful to watch on a weekly basis and lose a lot

sounds good to Ralph too - since people buy tickets to be entertained

If the Panthers really want Cam Newton there's probably nothing we can do about it so I tend to agree with you Kelly on the trading up. If they would make a trade then the weren't going to draft him in the first place.

Myself personally, its real hard to find anything I don't like about the Auburn Tiger signal caller. Newton's an honest sincere, humble individual despite how people try take his words out of context and twist them around. The kids got a big heart and he's a student of the game of football. Cam Newton could also be one of the best athletes the National football league has ever seen.

My gut tells me Cams going to the Panthers, but if he's there at #3 there's not a doubt in my mind, Cam newton is a Buffalo Bill.

Cam on Cam.

No thanks.