High School Wrestler refuses to face female wrestler

\GoBillsInDallas/

While it sounds a bit of an overreaction on his part, I wrestled in High School, and had team mates who had to wrestle girls... and its a LOSE LOSE situation no matter what.

If you win, you get picked on for "beating a girl". I once even saw a girls father almost come onto the mat because his daughter was being treated equally and getting whooped pretty bad.

If you lose, well then... you can only imagine the hell the kid gets put through by team and class mates.

Best case scenario is to come out real strong from the beginning and just pin her quick and get it over with.

And I cant argue with this much:

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan (Black, the tournament’s other female entrant) and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most of the high school sports in Iowa.”
Edited by DrDankenstein

Well Dr, there's a 3rd scenario: if she's hot looking, you get to roll around on the mat with her, getting all sweaty and getting some crotch grabs in. To me, that would out weigh the negatives :thumbsup:

ha. ha. ha. :thumbsup: but thats not the case here. plus, that 3rd scenario is even worse. I doubt getting a boner while in that singlet in front of a crowded gymnasium is that appealing to this kid. And frankly, out of the many female wrestlers Ive seen, there has not been a ONE that is worth rolling around with. The pretty girls are usually trying to stop boys from rolling around with them.

Amazing.

In Iowa High School wrestling is king. It is beyond football, basketball, and all other sports. They are usually top three in the country, with Ohio and New Jersey fielding some of the other top teams. That this guy chose not to wrestle is crap. When you get to the state tournament you weed out the wannabees. The real wrestling among the best of the best is after the 3rd round.

That being said, the two girls getting that far is no easy feat. I imagine they will not get past the winners bracket 3rd round, but if they do, more power to them. Folkstyle wrestling is amazing.

Well Dr, there's a 3rd scenario: if she's hot looking, you get to roll around on the mat with her, getting all sweaty and getting some crotch grabs in. To me, that would out weigh the negatives :thumbsup:

If she is 17 maybe your hero Mark Sanchez can join the team and do some of the disgusting things you mention so that you may continue to live vicariously through him.

In case you don't understand.

Didn't want to get beat by a girl, I guess!

(At that age - and being from Iowa - he probably doesn't know yet that 'wresting' with the gals can be lots o' fun B-) )

Just the opposite. Farm boys learn real early. Where do you think the term roll in the hay came from.

While it sounds a bit of an overreaction on his part, I wrestled in High School, and had team mates who had to wrestle girls... and its a LOSE LOSE situation no matter what.

If you win, you get picked on for "beating a girl". I once even saw a girls father almost come onto the mat because his daughter was being treated equally and getting whooped pretty bad.

If you lose, well then... you can only imagine the hell the kid gets put through by team and class mates.

Best case scenario is to come out real strong from the beginning and just pin her quick and get it over with.

+1

It shouldn't be allowed. It's great that the girls get Title IX equality and all that jazz, but it's gotta be hell on the boy.

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

Yup it's a no-win for the guy. Call me a chauvanist; I don't like the idea of a guy wrestling a girl (outside of the bedroom of course!)

+1

It shouldn't be allowed. It's great that the girls get Title IX equality and all that jazz, but it's gotta be hell on the boy.

Really? I wrestled at 152 and at 160 my sophomore and junior years. My sophomore year I wrestled 3 different girls, two in exhibition and one in competition. The one girl had me by 20lbs and beat me straight up, but it taught me three things: how to deal with the embarrassment of losing to a girl (prepares you for long term relationships and marriage), that I'd never want to date a girl that outweighs me, and that when you are on the mat you take the opponent seriously, otherwise they will kick your ass. That girl that I lost to was sectionally ranked and very technical at 171. The other girls I faced were not as good, and I didn't mind walking off the mat a winner with a chub. My junior year, I wrestled another girl in exhibition, and scored a date with the girl afterwards 8-).

Also, it is a high school match, mono e mono. Gender really doesn't matter, all that matters is can you fight.

So, I agree with JT6P that you win and get razzed for beating a girl, but you still win and move on in the state tournament. You lose, and you take a razzing, but you move on in life, or you can toy with the girl, get her # and make the most of the situation in a few ways.

I have many grievances with the way Title IX is applied, but if a girl wants to fight boys, she should be allowed to kick their asses or get her ass kicked. We can't protect any kid's feelings because in life you will not have such protection. Hell, I have coached female pole vaulters and sprinters that are better than most of the boys. I'm not gonna tell the girls that they have to practice separately to spare the boys' feelings. It's as simple as that. Stop contributing to the wussification of the country and let the kids play.

/rant after typing a 15 page paper

Edited by justnzane

Waaah. Love that he says he refuses as a matter of faith. What a jackass. As to the argument that she should wrestle only girls, she probably would if there were a ton of girls to wrestle in her class.

He lost because he forfeited.

ha. ha. ha. :thumbsup: but thats not the case here. plus, that 3rd scenario is even worse. I doubt getting a boner while in that singlet in front of a crowded gymnasium is that appealing to this kid. And frankly, out of the many female wrestlers Ive seen, there has not been a ONE that is worth rolling around with. The pretty girls are usually trying to stop boys from rolling around with them.

You can occasionally find cute girls who like to wrestle. One of my ex's was an ex cheerleader and the night we first hooked up, we wrestled a bit at a party. I let her win and when she was on top of me smiling in victory I said I lost. My buddy was in the crowd watching said "no, you won." Some cute girls can be quite feisty like that. Don't let a pretty face make you think a girl won't jump on and grapple with you :devil:

I respect this guy's views though. It would be difficult to think of being physically aggressive (competitively) with a girl.

Edited by Pilsner

You can occasionally find cute girls who like to wrestle. One of my ex's was an ex cheerleader and the night we first hooked up, we wrestled a bit at a party. I let her win and when she was on top of me smiling in victory I said I lost. My buddy was in the crowd watching said "no, you won." Some cute girls can be quite feisty like that. Don't let a pretty face make you think a girl won't jump on and grapple with you :devil:

I respect this guy's views though. It would be difficult to think of being physically aggressive (competitively) with a girl.

Believe it or not, the level of this kids competive nature is probably pretty high. Iowa wreslting is serious business, and this kid being at states was more then likely deserving of it. His sexual attraction, worrying about any arrousal, is so far fetched that it's insane.

There were probably more factors then we know. I know some times it is easier to lose a match and get in the consolation bracket then it is to advance another round and wind up at a different level.

Believe it or not, the level of this kids competive nature is probably pretty high. Iowa wreslting is serious business, and this kid being at states was more then likely deserving of it. His sexual attraction, worrying about any arrousal, is so far fetched that it's insane.

There were probably more factors then we know. I know some times it is easier to lose a match and get in the consolation bracket then it is to advance another round and wind up at a different level.

I agree that he wasn't concerned at all about any ideas of sexual attraction. In such a competitive level like this, sexual attraction shouldn't be a part of an athlete's thinking (they are supremely focused on the task at hand). It speaks to the value he places in his ideals that he was willing to forfeit. He'll have no regrets about this throughout his life...imo.

I agree that he wasn't concerned at all about any ideas of sexual attraction. In such a competitive level like this, sexual attraction shouldn't be a part of an athlete's thinking (they are supremely focused on the task at hand). It speaks to the value he places in his ideals that he was willing to forfeit. He'll have no regrets about this throughout his life...imo.

I think he will regret it, as llater on in life he realizes how unimportant it really was...

I think he will regret it, as llater on in life he realizes how unimportant it really was...

There is a chance you could be right. But it really depends on what his thinking will be of this later on in life. I suppose only time will tell. He seems fairly adamant about his view on the subject though. As always, time changes people's views. I still think he won't have any regrets. I'm not necessarily siding with his view on this, but just respect his take on it. As always I try and keep an open mind on matters as I hope all others do.

Yeah this happened to my son in junior high. He was in 7th, she was in 9th and out weighed him by 15 lbs. Her dad was a once bigtime wrestler. My sons coach told him it was up to him if he wanted to wrestler her. My son asked me what I thought. That redheaded girl lasted 30 seconds in a headlock. End of story.

Really? I wrestled at 152 and at 160 my sophomore and junior years. My sophomore year I wrestled 3 different girls, two in exhibition and one in competition. The one girl had me by 20lbs and beat me straight up, but it taught me three things: how to deal with the embarrassment of losing to a girl (prepares you for long term relationships and marriage), that I'd never want to date a girl that outweighs me, and that when you are on the mat you take the opponent seriously, otherwise they will kick your ass. That girl that I lost to was sectionally ranked and very technical at 171. The other girls I faced were not as good, and I didn't mind walking off the mat a winner with a chub. My junior year, I wrestled another girl in exhibition, and scored a date with the girl afterwards 8-).

Also, it is a high school match, mono e mono. Gender really doesn't matter, all that matters is can you fight.

So, I agree with JT6P that you win and get razzed for beating a girl, but you still win and move on in the state tournament. You lose, and you take a razzing, but you move on in life, or you can toy with the girl, get her # and make the most of the situation in a few ways.

I have many grievances with the way Title IX is applied, but if a girl wants to fight boys, she should be allowed to kick their asses or get her ass kicked. We can't protect any kid's feelings because in life you will not have such protection. Hell, I have coached female pole vaulters and sprinters that are better than most of the boys. I'm not gonna tell the girls that they have to practice separately to spare the boys' feelings. It's as simple as that. Stop contributing to the wussification of the country and let the kids play.

/rant after typing a 15 page paper

:lol:

A guy at my H.S. wrestled a girl, lost, and walked off sporting wood. Never lived that one down. He was a tool anyway.

:oops:

In such a competitive level like this? :lol: You realize they are talking about high school? If the wind blew the right way in high school I'd get a chub. Sexual attraction is on the mindof every male athlete in high school.

In such a competitive level like this? :lol: You realize they are talking about high school? If the wind blew the right way in high school I'd get a chub. Sexual attraction is on the mindof every male athlete in high school.

Obviously, you never wrestled. Obviously, you do not know the history of wrestling in Iowa. Gyms packed to standing room only for just the JV matches. Wrestling in Iowa is like football in Texas, it's no joke.

To advance to the level of the state competition takes a lot, in Iowa it takes even more. During my high school years Ohio was considered the top state in the country for HS wrestling, Iowa was 3rd, if I remember correctly, Michigan was towards the bottom while Florida was in the middle.

We had a guy in a nearby school move from Iowa, where he was runner up in the league. He advanced 1 place from going to states. Another guy won his openning match in Michigan's state tournament and placed 3rd in our league in Ohio. In Florida we had a kid who was 5th in the league move down there and advance to states, losing in the first round. Most of the best wrestlers I have met were from Iowa. I had went there several times for the Univ. of Iowa wrestling camp - believe me, this kid probably was not too concerned with attraction.

Gotta wonder why a young high school girl seeks to make her mark in the testosterone soaked atmosphere of competitive scholastic wrestling.

What's her motivation - to prove she's tough? Tougher than "boys"? "She can take it"? Interesting.

Not many girls are into contact sports much. Most organized sporting activities for the female gender go out of their way to exclude as much contact as possible, e.g., LAX and Field Hockey. I wonder if she's a budding female boxer.

Gotta wonder why a young high school girl seeks to make her mark in the testosterone soaked atmosphere of competitive scholastic wrestling.

What's her motivation - to prove she's tough? Tougher than "boys"? "She can take it"? Interesting.

Not many girls are into contact sports much. Most organized sporting activities for the female gender go out of their way to exclude as much contact as possible, e.g., LAX and Field Hockey. I wonder if she's a budding female boxer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6136707

"Since she could walk, she's always been the tomboy, busting stuff up, walkin' through glass with her bare feet. Finally, her grandma said to me, 'You ought to get her wrestling.'" And she's been doing it since the second grade.

Ok, well then, now its obvious that the only reason the kid didnt want to wrestle her was that he was afraid of losing to a girl.

That is one JACKED BROAD! You see the shoulders/arms on her? Dayum!

Oh, and the dude is home schooled too?... Say no more.

In conclusion... "Iowa :rolleyes: "

Edited by DrDankenstein

Err..just from the reports on the TV news I've heard, (I haven't cared enough to look anything up) the boy was apparently one of the favorites in his weight class.

The girl went on to lose her next two matches and is now out.

Maybe he was afraid of losing, but I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Err..just from the reports on the TV news I've heard, (I haven't cared enough to look anything up) the boy was apparently one of the favorites in his weight class.

The girl went on to lose her next two matches and is now out.

Maybe he was afraid of losing, but I wouldn't be so sure of that.

My comment was due to how surprised I was at her stature. Most girl wrestlers Ive seen still look like girls.

My comment was due to how surprised I was at her stature. Most girl wrestlers Ive seen still look like girls.

See, you piqued my curiosity and now you made me read that terrible article.

What a myopic piece of crap.

But I will give you I thought it was a picture of the guy that forfeited at first until I started reading the captions.

This story makes my blood boil. I tip my cap to Joel...

I wrestled varsity for 5 years in HS and I would have forfeited too. Shame on EVERY SINGLE ADULT that has let this abomination happen over the years. She has no business being on that mat. None. Wrestling a girl in competition is NOT what Joel signed up for. It is not what any of us ever signed up for. Trying to FORCE this on those young boys in an unconscionable act of sheer ignorance coupled with profound stupidity.

How serious is this?

Joel Northup, ranked 5th in the state of Iowa decided NOT to wrestle her. And y'all need to comprehend that for a moment. Y'all need to think for a moment of what Joel just said there.

I would bet my bottom dollar Joel would have wrestled ANY boy, of any race, any orientation, having any physical disability, being different from him in any way shape or form... As long as that BOY stepped on the mat - Joel would have walked out there and did his best (which in Iowa means kicking ass). The only thing preventing this boy, who was 35-4, from wrestling that day was a girl walking on the mat.

THAT is how serious the situation is. THAT is how uncomfortable that situation makes some boys. And THAT is what you need to empathize with as you seek to understand what that boy was thinking. Think about what he walked away from and how serious it was to him in order to make the decision not to wrestle.

As for the girl... Do any of you realize the discussions that happen in a wrestling room? For those ignorant fools like Rick Reilly, who just want people to treat her "like one of the boys" - does that mean he endorses causing pain to her genitals? Because boys are taught to inflict pain anywhere they can. The discussions in the wrestling room in a situation like this will often go to controlling the arm of the opponent through the opponent's own legs - at which point you drive their head into the mat, lift up on the arm you are controlling and jamb your thumb between the legs. And it goes on and on...

This is what fathers, school administrators want to expose these girls to? School sanctioned boy on girl abuse? Retards.

You don't put people in this situation - period. You don't make people like Joel have to decide what is right or wrong. You don't put girls at risk of some over-aggressive boy taking their anger out on her for encroaching in a place where she has no business being.

Get enough girls to start a team or get enough in the area to start a club. Leave the boys alone.

I wrestled varsity for 5 years in HS

Last I checked high school only lasts 4 years? :nana: I get it, though, you wrestled varsity as an 8th grader, I'll guess.

I think there is more to look at besides what you stated, which I do support. I am not riding both sides, and it is not the best of both sides that I am playing. To your point I add that until we better set up this equality issue this will always be an issue. A female could not wrestle in the NCAA D1 Tournament. A female could not compete in the Olympics boys competition.

Women want equality. They deserve it. That does not give them unlimited access to the boys world. I wanted to play volleyball in high school but was not allowed to participate. That is an injustice to equality.

In light of the Title IX's, women's lib, and all of the stuff that bra's were burned for we still do not have equality. We do not have NCAA womens football, nor do we have NCAA mens softball. Why? I do not think anyone has much interest in women playing football unless it is in lingerie and not too many men want to play competitive softball unless it's a beer league. We want to pretend men and women are equal when we do not act it. We act like she made the choice that there could not be womens wrestling. We, as adults, determine that it is not feasible to field a womens wrestling team for various reasons. As a result, this happens. As a society, we are weaker for it. I just hope that down the line this kid does not regret this and that she feels as if she had every opportunity she wanted.

Regardless, last I looked, a 5th ranked wrestler can still forfeit and make the consolation bracket and place 5th.

Last I checked high school only lasts 4 years? :nana: I get it, though, you wrestled varsity as an 8th grader, I'll guess.

Yes I did.

I really don't care what she wants. If there isn't an interest in girls wrestling then she should to do something else. Equality is not the goal in every situation and in many cases it is undefinable.

If there is a sport, a competition, an activity where the goal for man is to beat a woman - it might just be the 1st.

A girl wrestling is the ANTITHESIS of everything the sport represents to a boy. I sure as hell didn't bust my ass in some of the most grueling practices you can endure because I longed to beat a girl in front of my high school. The only thing fun about wrestling was kicking the ass of another guy who thought he could kick yours. NONE of that exists when a girl walks out on the mat.

I don't know of another modern day sport where a person openly refuses to compete against their component like this situation. THAT is how ridiculous it is for her to be there.

Yes I did.

Which state, if you do not mind me asking? I used to follow HS wrestling heavily. I never was a superstar myself, but I know what you mean about the practices. I went to several wrestling camps at the Univ. of Iowa under Dan Gable and many would never believe the intensity.

Equality is not the goal in every situation and in many cases it is undefinable.

That is very much true - so sadly it is not accepted. Women are not equal to men, I have been saying that for a long time (infact, one of my very first posts here was on that subject which I got flamed for). I think it says more, though, in his decision to face and defeat her then it does to back down. To cower to her sex is unfair to the other men he faced. Those that he beat to attain the ranking he did. It is not her fault, it is not his fault. It is the powers that be and those who have pushed equality.

I loved wrestling in High School. Miss it to this day. I was not blessed to have a boy instead I had a princess who is now 6 years old. I had a friend suggest she wrestle so I put her on a team. In her first year shes won 20 matches and lost 15(only pinned 5 times) Placed very high at 5 tournaments. Of the matches she was pinned she lasted until the 3rd period, the rest of her loses were fairly close. In her wins she has one some close and dominated many by tech and pins(boys and girls she has beat). She is a tiny machine out there and I never thought it would be so much fun or she would be so good but I went with it.

She is too young to understand that it is primarily a boys sport. She has no idea that what she is doing is frowned upon by many in a traditional society. She just goes out there and gives it her all and absolutely loves its intensity. She has made me proud and gives me a new fondness to any girl in the sport and a great deal of respect.

There are currently 13 colleges if not more with womens wrestling programs with scholarships offered to female wrestlers. Its an olympic sport now. Women are (and young women as well) are ranked nationally. Theres many good reasons for girls to get into the sport. Its a transitional time now for girls in wrestling. I believe eventually it will be only girls wrestling girls (atleast by high school), until that happens the boy needs to suck it up and go out there and beat her or get beat like a man.