Pat Moran:inside source has us taking

BeastMode54

I agree. I've been watching some tape on JJ Watt. He looks like the real deal as well. Just too high for these two guys I think. However, I'd rather take a guy who can play right away than one who needs to be developed. Even if people think the value of the player is worth a mid 1st round pick, I'll take mid 1st round solid production over whiffing in the first round like we have the past decade any day

Isn't this exactly what the Bills did with the Whitner pick?

Pick a player at 9 that you could have had at 15 was the knock. Solid starter but not a pro bowler like a 9 should be according to the experts? Sound familiar.

If the Bills pick this guy at 3 this board will melt down.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though a lot of people on this board seem to think he would be a reach, what if he has a solid combine, like his solid Senior Bowl, to complete his solid senior season?

He will not doubt rocket up the draft boards, much like Tyson Jackson from LSU did a couple of years ago when he was drafted by the Chiefs, thus justifying his top 5 draft status.

Every team is going to like Cam Jordan a ton when they see him on tape. He's a very, very good player, and well known to be very good. He's likely not going at #3 but he's also likely going to have a better pro career than half the guys drafted above him, IMO. He's also known to be a great teammate and his father was drafted in the 7th round and made six straight pro bowls.

The real question, to me, and I would assume pro scouts and GMs, is whether Jordan will become a stud player and star at the NFL level, which you are looking for at a #3 player in the draft. Or is he going to be just what he looks like now, which is a consistently very good player who does most everything very well.

If we trade down, I could easily see us choosing him. I can even imagine him at #3 simply because Nix and Gailey don't really care what people think. I would imagine Edwards and Wannstedt would love what they see out of him, too.

If I had to guess, however, I still think we take whoever is left of Fairley, Dareus or Bowers.

And I put no stock whatsoever in Pat Moran's tweets, or anything anyone from the Bills organization tells a pseudo reporter in mid February about who the team is going to draft.

Is Michael Jordan his father? Do you mean NBA All Star games?

Even though a lot of people on this board seem to think he would be a reach, what if he has a solid combine, like his solid Senior Bowl, to complete his solid senior season?

He will not doubt rocket up the draft boards, much like Tyson Jackson from LSU did a couple of years ago when he was drafted by the Chiefs, thus justifying his top 5 draft status.

Most teams dont do a lot of changing of their board based on the combine.... its a myth to keep interest up and to get you to watch TV and click on websites.

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/2382928;jsessionid=8D800976594D3E7570169B59894A1D18.cnnsi2b

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/02/07/ravens-finalizing-big-board-prospects/

Teams pretty much have their board set and might adjust a grade a little based on watching a player run drills.

Nobody rockets up draft boards........they might for the mock guys but not for the actual teams.

So dont listen to the hype about combines making a huge impact. Nix has said as much.

Edited by K Gun Special

Pat Moran just tweeted that a source within the organization has continuously mentioned Cam Jordan as a possible pick for us at 3. I don't know how I feel about that. If he actually makes an impact I'm fine with it, just think there are better

I'm all for Jordan...in the top 10, not top 5. BUT, if they're thinking he'll get snatched up by one of the other defense hungry teams (AZ, San Fran, Cleveland, Dallas...) they may just pull the trigger. His draft stock skyrocketed after the Sr. Bowl as he was a one man wrecking crew both outside and in on the DL. If he further impresses with a strong combine and pro day, he'll probably jump into a top 5 prospect. Keep in mind that there is a very small crop of NFL ready 3-4 DE's.

Most of you will go bonkers on a "reach" pick, but my bet is that Jordan turns out to be the best DE in the draft year 1. Cal runs a 3-4, which he has started in for 3 years, as well as playing in all 13 games as a true freshman. Everyone thought he looked good because he was opposite of Alualu (2010 NFL Draft 1st Rd. selection, Jaguars) , but last year his production continued to increase and he was one of the most feared DL in all of the PAC-10, which says a lot considering the competition and the position he plays. This is also supported by the fact that he won Cal's Bob Tessier award for the most improved DL....twice. He gets better every year, even without Alualu, is the perfect size @ 6'4", 287lbs. is strong and has an uncanny knack for locating the ball. He put up 67 tackles, 12.5 tqackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and 4 pass breakups....uhhhh, those numbers are sick considering his primary responsibility was to eat up blockers and let the LB's make plays. Trust me fellas, this kid is the real deal!

Everytime I see the word smokescreen I'm going to ask what for? What is the plan they are hiding? I've done it for a week so far without a single reply.

There's almost no mobility as it is at this point in the top few picks. Cincy is the last team with ammo for 1. There are only 3-4 teams we could go back with. More then 2-3 spots and we are talking about giving every pick in the draft since we won't be using players or 2012 picks....

Also, To tell a reporter that they are discussing and watching film on a guy 2 months out is hardly a huge development or a secret. I didn't read "he's our guy" I read "yea we haven't ruled him out" without the combine, prodays, interviews.... Anyone in the top 15 could move to a 7-8 type prospect and at that point just go get your guy, value be damned. That means 2 months out there's probably 10-15 guys in play, probably 7-8 real contenders for the big pay day. Not to mention if we move down from 3 or up from our second rounder. These guys go first round cause there good - if we don't "like" about 20 of them, something is wrong.

FINALLY!!! A realist with some football smarts! Good post NoSaint!

Everytime I see the word smokescreen I'm going to ask what for? What is the plan they are hiding? I've done it for a week so far without a single reply.

OK, I'll bite. It's pretty simple really.

There are all kinds of head games to be played. One very simple example - you leak out (through Carucci) that you like Cam Newton so that another team lower in the draft who's drooling for him, makes a generous trade up offer to get into your slot so you don't take him. Or, you leak that you like Jordan to throw others off the trail of other DL's you like (possibly to ensure your guy remains on the board in the 2nd or 3rd round). It really goes on and on...

I'm not saying that this stuff works - there's no conclusive proof of that.

This would seem like the all too familiar case of the Bills thinking they're smarter than the rest of the league. 3 is too high for him.

Here's a good video though, he does look like a good player, good hands, but no thanks at three.

youtube.com/watch?v=LOx7bqKP4m0

Why? I don't understand what makes Bowers okay at 3 and Jordan a reach. Jordan dominated in college and in the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying he's the guy, but I just don't buy that 3 is too high for anyone just because Walter Mayockiper has him at #16.

How long before the clamoring for nevergiveup's inside info starts??

RELIABILITY METER (#1 is best.......#14 is worst)

#1- nevergiveup

#2- BuffaloATL

#3- kelly blue book

#4- farmers almanac

#5- nostradamus

#6- TMZ

#7- punxsutawney phil

#8- weatherman

#9- economist

#10- ESPN Insiders

#11- psychic

#12- momma pecoraro

#13- Thurman Thomas

#14- Skooby and sources deep within

Why? I don't understand what makes Bowers okay at 3 and Jordan a reach. Jordan dominated in college and in the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying he's the guy, but I just don't buy that 3 is too high for anyone just because Walter Mayockiper has him at #16.

And if he's your guy and wont last until your next pick you take him, even if some guys on TV with slicked hair tell you he's only a top 15 pick.

You're fine with it? A DT from Cal, who most experts would regard as a reach at #3, and you would be fine with it? Well I'm not surprised. Newton and Gabbert may both be sitting there available while Nix may choose this kid or some other defensive player - and then sit there and watch both those QB's immediately get drafted within the top 10, and you and Nix and most others out here will be just so happy they "solidified" their defensive line.

Sorry, but I want to see the BUFFALO Bills (not the Los Angeles or the Toronto Bills) WIN a Super Bowl. The quickest way they will get that done is to draft or trade for their franchise QB now, and keep their fingers crossed that Ralph Wilson stays alive long enough for that guy to lead the team to their first Lombardi Trophy.

The Bills have the 3rd pick in the next 6 rounds following that first one. (At least I think they do, unless they have some trades from last year pending.) At least they should have the 3rd pick in most of the other 6 rounds, to solidify that lousy front 7 and the improving but still lacking O-line. Newton or Gabbert need to be the #3 pick in this year's draft, in my humble opinion.

How did the huge "reach", according to all the so called experts, work out for the Jags with Alualu? :rolleyes:

As a Colorado Buffaloes fan, I caution you about watching highlights against CU. We (as in you and my fellow board posters) would look like great football players against CU's teams of the last few years. :lol:

I don't buy Jordan at #3. I think that's high, and I think he's (and Cal's program) are getting a slight benefit of Tyson Alualu's performance this year with Jacksonville.

As a Colorado Buffaloes fan, I caution you about watching highlights against CU. We (as in you and my fellow board posters) would look like great football players against CU's teams of the last few years. :lol:

I don't buy Jordan at #3. I think that's high, and I think he's (and Cal's program) are getting a slight benefit of Tyson Alualu's performance this year with Jacksonville.

I watch a lot of Pac Ten football. Every time Cal plays, the announcers gush over Cam Jordan and have been for three years straight. He was a very, very good player from the time he was a freshman, and has been getting better all the time. Not that Pac Ten football announcers are any good, most of them suck ass. But Jordan has stood out all four years he has played. In fact, I would bet that if you asked all of the scouts and GMs to rate the most consistent and most consistently improved player over four years in the entire draft, Jordan would be the top player regardless of position. It's not like he just showed up recently or rode anyone's coattails. He always looked better than Alualu to me anyway.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I watch a lot of Pac Ten football. Every time Cal plays, the announcers gush over Cam Jordan and have been for three years straight. He was a very, very good player from the time he was a freshman, and has been getting better all the time. Not that Pac Ten football announcers are any good, most of them suck ass. But Jordan has stood out all four years he has played. In fact, I would bet that if you asked all of the scouts and GMs to rate the most consistent and most consistently improved player in the entire draft, Jordan would be the top player. It's not like he just showed up recently or rode anyone's coattails. He always looked better than Alualu to me anyway.

I don't know where this talk of "reach" is coming from. It's not like the folks on this board have carefully scouted all of the defensive linemen in this draft, and then ranked them according to where they ought to go in Round 1. It sounds like everyone has just been watching the Talking Heads (Kiper, Mayock, McShay) discuss draft projections for the past month, and since Jordan's name hasn't been thrown out as a top-five pick, everyone here has made up their minds that he must be a "reach" at 3.

Bottom line is this: if the Bills think he is the top defensive end in the draft that is deep in defensive ends, I don't see the downside of taking him at 3.

There are remarkably good players in the middle of round one to the middle of round two that would help us immediately. A lot of these are mentioned in this thread, which leads me to think that trading down based on what is available at three (AJ Green and a trade to Cleveland for instance) would be a good idea. We could get a fine midrounder and two seconds pluss a high pick next year. I just think we should be aware and ready to take advantage of this opportunity if it should arise.

I don't know where this talk of "reach" is coming from. It's not like the folks on this board have carefully scouted all of the defensive linemen in this draft, and then ranked them according to where they ought to go in Round 1. It sounds like everyone has just been watching the Talking Heads (Kiper, Mayock, McShay) discuss draft projections for the past month, and since Jordan's name hasn't been thrown out as a top-five pick, everyone here has made up their minds that he must be a "reach" at 3.

Bottom line is this: if the Bills think he is the top defensive end in the draft that is deep in defensive ends, I don't see the downside of taking him at 3.

Not only that, but Jordan is a prototype 3-4 end. The duties are a little different (some would say a lot different). So Jordan could be the #4 DE on some scout's board but be the #1 3-4 DE on that same scout's board.

Mayock, right now, has him the #2 senior DE and the #4 overall DE (Mayock is in love with Watt right now after studying him closer.) Bowers is #1. Clayborn at #3 and Jordan ahead of Robert Quinn, who some of these same guys don't think is such a reach. These ratings, of course, change. And Mayock is not the end all, although I personally think he is very good and one of the best out there (that we get a chance to hear).

Jordan is going to climb up everyone's board after the Senior Bowl, and likely to after the combine, and even more likely to after interviews and private workouts, etc. Everything everyone says about the guy is extremely positive. The only question, as stated, is if he is going to be a star. Right now he's one of if not the most reliable player you could possibly draft.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

You're fine with it? A DT from Cal, who most experts would regard as a reach at #3, and you would be fine with it? Well I'm not surprised. Newton and Gabbert may both be sitting there available while Nix may choose this kid or some other defensive player - and then sit there and watch both those QB's immediately get drafted within the top 10, and you and Nix and most others out here will be just so happy they "solidified" their defensive line.

Sorry, but I want to see the BUFFALO Bills (not the Los Angeles or the Toronto Bills) WIN a Super Bowl. The quickest way they will get that done is to draft or trade for their franchise QB now, and keep their fingers crossed that Ralph Wilson stays alive long enough for that guy to lead the team to their first Lombardi Trophy.

The Bills have the 3rd pick in the next 6 rounds following that first one. (At least I think they do, unless they have some trades from last year pending.) At least they should have the 3rd pick in most of the other 6 rounds, to solidify that lousy front 7 and the improving but still lacking O-line. Newton or Gabbert need to be the #3 pick in this year's draft, in my humble opinion.

Pretty decisive quote to be "humble." Anyway, I'll pas on Vince Young, Jr. je's a prima donna (media only workouts...?) with a greedy poppa...that's 2 of 3 components to an NFL A-Bomb...Gabbert...really? What is the hype aout on this kid? He didn't even come close to putting up the numbers Daniel did...IN THE SAME OFFENSE! (OK, Gabbert only started 2 years with 6,822 yds and 40 TD's as a Sophomore and Jr....Danieal as a TRUE Freshman and sophomore put up 7,833 yds & 61 TD's) Not to mention he's ascrawny guy @ 6'5", 235lbs. He needs to put on 20 lbs to fill his frame and become less fragile. (Daniel was only 6'1", 225lbs.)

What I'm saying is, people need to get off the Gabbert short bus.