Carucci: Bills GM Nix likes Cam Newton "a great deal"

Marshmallow

We can load other positions but without a qb, it's going to be a long string of 7-15 picks. Are you implying that a draft of cam, and a lot of defense will produce a lot fewer wins this year? Will dareus somehow vault us into January play? See pretty much every team drafting in the top 5..... Either through free agency or that pick they get a qb or they stay there

You are astute. :thumbsup:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it need to be a trade down? If he is who they like then take him there instead of risking losing out on him for an extra pick. Qb is a very important position (obviously) and we have a chance to upgrade it with an extremely exciting and dynamic playmaker. I agree the defense is a bigger problem but not our only problem. I think ppl (myself included) haven't seen quality qb play in so long we will accept fitz. He is decent but will anyone on here call him great? Cam has a chance to be that. I will ask this in all seriousness bc I really do want to know ppls opinion... if they were both available and you had to choose one do you take fitz or cam?

I was reading a chat wrap that Vic Carucci had where he states that Buddy Nix likes Cam Newton a great deal. He also says that we need to address the lines on both sides of the ball, especially on the defensive side. He then went on to say that we need to bulk up on the DL so that the transition back to 4-3 under Wannstedt is made easier. Hasn't Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey said emphatically that we are sticking with the 3-4 but will show multiple fronts. Don't these "analysts" need to know something about a team first before writing things?

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1391

The transition back to a 4-3 comment was ... interesting. <_<

They have to realize after this season that their best defensive player by far (Kyle Williams) isn't well suited for a 3-4. Moreover, their outside LBs stink. High-minded principles are often the casualties of facts on the ground.

I don't know, maybe the 2009 offseason, in which they signed a free agent center and drafted guards in rounds 1 and 2.

By the way, isn't it a bit early to be having a conniption over a February report of the team liking a QB?

and then there was the following year when they brought in a free agent DE from the ravens....and drafted a 3-4 DE and NT with their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The lines ARE BEING ADDRESSED.....its just if there is a absolute stud worthy of 3 on defense then I want that guy....if not then trade down.

You are astute. :thumbsup:

And that's good because the world definately needs more stutes.

I think it was more than interesting. It was downright telling.

GO BILLS!!!

There is also zero chance that Nix or Gailey or Modrak form ANY kind of binding opinion on ANY player until after the combine, wonderlic, background checks, pro workouts they attend, extensive personal interviews and very likely a visit to One Bills Drive.

Tebow?

They have to realize after this season that their best defensive player by far (Kyle Williams) isn't well suited for a 3-4. Moreover, their outside LBs stink. High-minded principles are often the casualties of facts on the ground.

I like that. Mind if I use it?

GO BILLS!!!

Listen to Wannstedt on his interview yesterday. He didn't at all sound like they were either going back to a 4-3 or he would be calling shots. I like Carruci but he doesn't seem to have any real keen knowledge into the inner workings of the Bills any more than anyone else the last few years. And I listen to him all the time.

I don't know, maybe the 2009 offseason, in which they signed a free agent center and drafted guards in rounds 1 and 2.

By the way, isn't it a bit early to be having a conniption over a February report of the team liking a QB?

Yea, the OL is totally fixed....

PS Carrucci also makes the comment that Buffalo is transitioning back to the 4-3 now that Wanny is here. I didnt think that was the case? That makes me think he is off base and question either of his points. Nix was quoted saying they will play either front, but draft for the 3-4, which makes me think long term we are a 3-4 team (how stupid would it be to play 4-3 and draft for the 34... only the Bills)

PPS: I wont be suprised if we draft Gailey pet in Newton, just like we did with Spiller last year.

Edited by Thoner7

I bet you they love 5-10 guys by the time they get done watching film on them. That doesn't mean they're going to draft them. They probably love Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, Green and Dareus, too.

Correct.

Every year it's the same old story.

Misinformation, speculation, and bullsh!t. It means nothing.

Yep. And they thought Williams could be a 3-4NT. As good a player as KW is, he's not a fit in that defense and never will be. If they move back to a predominantly 4-3, they have no clue what they're doing. They can say all they want that it's a hybrid, but in this case it's because they don't have personnel for either scheme.

Newton, or even Mallett (blast away) at #3 would not surprise me one bit. And for everyone who thinks these guys will fall, I VERY strongly disagree. If Palmer leaves Cincy, watch how fast the Bengals grab a quarterback.

Either Newton or Mallett, starter or not, would excite the fan base and sell tickets. Mr. Wilson mentioned a qb months ago and I firmly believe that he was more concerned with ticket sales than building a football team, much like the Spiller pick. The thing is there is one HUGE difference.....

This time it's the right move. :thumbsup:

At #3, if you think that a great qb is there, you take him, unless of course you have a great one on your roster. This would also apply to LT, but there is no Orlando Pace/Jonathan Ogden in this draft, or say they say. This btw pisses me off but I digress.

The Bills, if they are serious, can pick up a TE or RT in free agency. LBers shouldn't be hard to find and they can stock the front 7 and both lines in rounds 2-7 if they draft well.

It is possible for them to build a good team, unless they once again squander this pick on something stupid, like a cornerback or wideout. Would this surprise me? Of course not, we are the Bills. But, this time it would cost Mr. Wilson a lot of money. Peterson wouldn't sell 4 tickets. A qb (even if he isn't starting)would sell thousands immediately, and more in the long term.

I hope it works; Bills fans deserve good things.