Snow anyone?

BB27

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just sold my father-in-laws old Toro from 1984 for 100 bucks... I told the guy I work with (who bought it): "We don't get big snow and it is such a pain to drag that beast out for 4" here, 2" there... And speaking of tire chains, the chains on the snowblower were chewing up my asphalt driveway...

Boy was this a dumb thing to do (sell it)... Anyway, I have neighbors on both sides of me with throwers... I just offer to fork over the gas. :D

I do better- My neighbors have plow trucks and I think they would pay ME for a opportunity to drop the blade. Go for it!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just sold my father-in-laws old Toro from 1984 for 100 bucks... I told the guy I work with (who bought it): "We don't get big snow and it is such a pain to drag that beast out for 4" here, 2" there... And speaking of tire chains, the chains on the snowblower were chewing up my asphalt driveway...

Boy was this a dumb thing to do (sell it)... Anyway, I have neighbors on both sides of me with throwers... I just offer to fork over the gas. :D

I still have my Dad's Ariens from sometime in the 70s....We actually had a Toro as well to keep at my grandmother's house - probably bought that in 84 like yours, but the Ariens has outlasted it by probably 15 years. It's still a beast and has started up every time this winter........Knock on wood for the morning!

I do better- My neighbors have plow trucks and I think they would pay ME for a opportunity to drop the blade. Go for it!

I was at the gas station a while back with the company truck... Had the blade on it... During a storm... The guy behind the counter was pleading me to do his lot. I could have been done in about 10 minutes. I had to be a dick and say no. That is all I need, to be spotted plowing out a business with a gov't truck. I would even do it for free. Yet, There are always jerks out ther looking to blow people in... What a crappy world we live in.

I still have my Dad's Ariens from sometime in the 70s....We actually had a Toro as well to keep at my grandmother's house - probably bought that in 84 like yours, but the Ariens has outlasted it by probably 15 years. It's still a beast and has started up every time this winter........Knock on wood for the morning!

The Toro was the one with 3 speeds and reverse (I think the 512 or something in that class??). My co-worker had to replace the cord, yet the electric start works great... Still runs like a champ. Back in the late 1990's my father gave me his one from just after the Blizzard.. The biggest Toro... Had the walk behind cab... Drift bar... The whole nine yards... That was so big and took up too much room in the garage, I thought my wife was gonna amputate her leg getting out of the car! That one had linkage problems on the trans... So I just gave it away.

I probably should get a nice single stage thrower.

My father snowblowed the whole neighborhood. All for free, of course. Tons of driveways, etc.....And, he was a big believer in getting the biggest snowblower possible. This one has 5 speeds and reverse.

The Toro itself was pretty huge, but the Ariens is the best!

Supposed to be 65 and sunny here. :devil:

Have to call my brother to see how much OT he is getting. He drives a plow for Erie County.

Edit:

Called my mom in Cheektowaga. They got about a foot overnight. She said my brother worked until midnight (normal shift), went home and was called in at 8 AM.

Edited by Wacka

13-18 inches of snow with drifts up to four feet. I shoveled a path in my driveway for my car in case the city comes to plow our subdivision. While I was out shoveling I noticed a Jeep Patriot 4x4 stuck in the road about a block from my home. The guy was trying to get to work but made it only onto the street from his driveway. Eventually it took three guys about 20 minutes to get him down the street and out of our subdivision. I don't think I dare try it with my Nissan Sentra.

9:45PM the snow has started in South Buffalo.......Every school district in the area had called school off for tomorrow by this evening without a single flake falling.

And 15 hours later there is like 2". WTF weather hype by the local media to boost ratings :thumbdown:

And 15 hours later there is like 2". WTF weather hype by the local media to boost ratings :thumbdown:

Yep, all the schools shut down the day before because of a forecasted devistating storm. Could you imagine cancelling a football game on the threat of bad weather, talk about wussies... :rolleyes:

We only got about 6-8 inches of snow here in Amherst, although it was very heavy! Across the country they'll have a cute little name for this winter storm that swept through the nation. In Buffalo, we call it Wednesday in January...

Yep, all the schools shut down the day before because of a forecasted devistating storm. Could you imagine cancelling a football game on the threat of bad weather, talk about wussies... :rolleyes:

We only got about 6-8 inches of snow here in Amherst, although it was very heavy! Across the country they'll have a cute little name for this winter storm that swept through the nation. In Buffalo, we call it Wednesday in January...

I've always joined in on the mocking of other areas after these storms, but I'm really starting to see why it's such an issue this year. Here in Boston they have absolutely no place to put all of it. I'm still expecting to be t-boned by some idiot driver every time I have to pull blindly out into an intersection.

I'm sure some of it is in fact the people and the city not knowing how to deal with the conditions, but even I'm annoyed by it now.

Last week we had about 6" that tied the metro area in knots. A friend of ours was stranded for six hours about three blocks from our house, and didn't call us for help because "I didn't want to drag either of you out in that blizzard." My response: "Blizzard? I'm from Buffalo, you dumbass. You know what we call that kind of storm in Buffalo? We call it a Tuesday."

Snow?

That's crazy talk.

It's the height of Summer down here!

In fact, today was the hottest day of the year. (90)

Yeah, be glad you're in New Zealand, not Cairns. :ph34r:

Here in Boston they have absolutely no place to put all of it.

Do what they do where I grew up, dump it in a river. Late at night there would be a line of dump trucks going onto a bridge in the middle of town, they'd back up to the railings and dump their load over the side. I believe there's an ocean near Boston?

Do what they do where I grew up, dump it in a river. Late at night there would be a line of dump trucks going onto a bridge in the middle of town, they'd back up to the railings and dump their load over the side. I believe there's an ocean near Boston?

Not now are you going to do that. Road contaminates dumped in the water? Tsk,Tsk.

Another 18" or so in the past 2 days here in the NW suburbs of Boston on the NH border. The snow in my backyard is now almost chest high on the season, and I'm 6'2" - I'm guessing we have 4' of snow on the gound. Roofs are collapsing and if I don't shovel mine (not a flat roof - a slanted one) I might be in trouble. Impossible to find a roof rake. My driveway which could normally park about 8 cars can now only park about 5 - the rest is taken up by a huge snow mound from the plow - he can't lft the snow so the footprint of the pile just grows and eats real estate in my driveway. More snow on Saturday and then who knows what's coming in the following week. I don't care what little rat thing in PA says, spring can't come soon enough.