Pro Bowl game needs fixing

papazoid

that game is a sham, joke and just plain awful. i already have little to no interest in the game, but tuned in anyways during the middle of the 2nd quarter. WOW !! , the AFC defense gave the least spirited effort i have ever seen. the mindset to prevent injury has made this game unwatchable. the players want the accolades of being "named", but it's obvious they don't care about the actual game.

HOW TO FIX IT ??

#1 - cancel the actual game. turn it into an awards ceremony of some type. more skills competion. add a "strongest man" contest. or spend three hours signing autographs.

#2- seeing as #1 is very unlikely.....change the pay structure to nearly "all or nothing". currently the winner gets $45,000 and the loser $22,500. make it like $60,000 to the winner and $7,500 to the losers.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only all-star game among the 4 major sports that even comes close to resembling the game played during the regular season is baseball.

The other 3 are completely unwatchable.

The only way the games will ever go away is if the networks band together and refuse to televise that crap and/or sponsors refuse to buy advertising during the games.

Edited by LabattBlue

There's nothing to fix. It is intended to be a dog and pony show, not a serious football game. It's not supposed to even be at the level of a pre-season game, where guys are playing to make the team.

It is to nobody's benefit to risk injury for an exhibition (that said, watching cheat-shot artist Meriweather get popped on that fumble return in the fourth quarter was pretty funny).

There was nothing on TV last night, so I flip on the Pro Bowl and I see the Goo Goo Dolls playing to the fake people they put on the field who pretend they like the music and do like a synchronized dance to it. It was probably the cheesiest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. As much as I love the NFL, sometimes they need to just let the game do the talking. The extra-curricular stuff can be over the top fruity. Like I remember last year when The Who played at halftime of the Super Bowl, they got young hot girls and dudes with frosted tips on the field dancing like they've ever heard a Who song in their lives. It really tainted my image of The Who forever- it's become such a sell-out move to play a song on a football field. The Goo Goo Dolls sucked to begin with- obviously. I'm just glad they weren't billed from Buffalo.

1. The very best of the NFL takes on the very best of college football.

2. Move it back to the continental United States. New location every year.

3. Require teams to use certain play packages, as voted on by the fans. Defense can only use schemes from the 70s, offense from the 80s, etc.

4. Losing team pays the winning team.

5. Winning conference "wins" the coin flip for the next year Super Bowl.

There's nothing to fix. It is intended to be a dog and pony show, not a serious football game. It's not supposed to even be at the level of a pre-season game, where guys are playing to make the team.

It is to nobody's benefit to risk injury for an exhibition (that said, watching cheat-shot artist Meriweather get popped on that fumble return in the fourth quarter was pretty funny).

KD's right. It's all meaningless.

To OP--don't watch.

1. The very best of the NFL takes on the very best of college football.

2. Move it back to the continental United States. New location every year.

3. Require teams to use certain play packages, as voted on by the fans. Defense can only use schemes from the 70s, offense from the 80s, etc.

4. Losing team pays the winning team.

5. Winning conference "wins" the coin flip for the next year Super Bowl.

i like #5....

that game is a sham, joke and just plain awful. i already have little to no interest in the game, but tuned in anyways during the middle of the 2nd quarter. WOW !! , the AFC defense gave the least spirited effort i have ever seen. the mindset to prevent injury has made this game unwatchable. the players want the accolades of being "named", but it's obvious they don't care about the actual game.

HOW TO FIX IT ??

#1 - cancel the actual game...

ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

:worthy: #1 is the only way to "fix" the game - end it completely.

It was better before, when the two SB teams' participants went to Hawaii to revel in their win or begin to heal from their loss, enjoying the atmosphere of the Pro Bowl a week after the big game. Leaving those players out of it completely these past two seasons by playing the Pro Bowl before the SB, makes the entire game a sham and a joke and a waste of time.

I have one other suggestion. Wait 3 weeks, so the SB players have time to come down from, or begin to get back up from, the draining opposites of emotions of that game, and make it a well organized flag football game. This way, the players could try as hard as they can, without the huge risk of injuries. The defense can really play some defense, in other words. By waiting three weeks, the fans have time to "end the real football season" emotionally too. Then, just before March Madness begins while both hockey and basketball are still in the dog days of their endless seasons, they can have this flag-football show in Hawaii complete with some of the other skills tests you mentioned above. Just my humble opinion.

Replace it with a "Declared Junior Bowl".

Great idea there, you been talkn' to Buddy?? :w00t::worthy:

Edited by BillsPhan

NFL Pro Bowl is the most lame sporting event, but I don't blame the players for not playing full speed. Why would you play full speed? To tear up your knee and risk ruining your career in a meaningless game? It sucks that the game is so lame, but it is, what it is.

I really like the flag football idea as my idea was to not have a game but just do skills competitons. There used to be a qb skills comp that I loved as a kid and Saturday night for the nba all star weekend is most peoples favorite. These 2 ideas combined would make for a weekend I would actually watch.

A lot of players, playing in this game do not have new contracts for next season. Nobody, wants to get hurt in a game that means nothing. It is a game where everyone plays. and is showcased. No one cares who wins or losses.

I would love to be in a financial position where $22,500 tossed into the wind is meaningless.

I could not bring myself to watch it for very long -- I saw about 8 plays and that was more than enough. If no one watches it, will the networks still televise it? I am guessing it is included in the purchase package so maybe it won't be impacted.

I say make it a two hand touch or flag foolball game (It basically is that now anyway) so that the fans actually get to see the players faces. It will never be good football.

Move it back to the week after the superbowl - I like the winner wins the coin toss the following year... Or less likely but if they win they get the ball first in OT. Kinda like homefield advantage in the world series. Real stakes and the players don't know, it could be them in the superbowl the following year.

that said, I don't want the changes but I think it's the only way to get the players and coaches to buy in

I usually kinda' like the Pro Bowl for what it is...just a bunch of great NFL players having some fun. Last night was the worst ever though. Watching Kyle Williams just stand there was embarassing for him and the league (yes, i know he was not the only one not trying). EVen the NHL All-Star game was much more entertaining to me,,,,even though that does not resemble a regular NHL game.

The one thing the NFL did good imo was move the Pro Bowl to the off week b/f the Super Bowl. To me the last play of the Super Bowl should end the entire NFL season.

I think they do need to do away with the Pro Bowl but i can see them stealing the NHL idea and doing some sort of fantasy draft to drum up interest and competitiveness.

I usually kinda' like the Pro Bowl for what it is...just a bunch of great NFL players having some fun. Last night was the worst ever though. Watching Kyle Williams just stand there was embarassing for him and the league (yes, i know he was not the only one not trying). EVen the NHL All-Star game was much more entertaining to me,,,,even though that does not resemble a regular NHL game.

The one thing the NFL did good imo was move the Pro Bowl to the off week b/f the Super Bowl. To me the last play of the Super Bowl should end the entire NFL season.

I think they do need to do away with the Pro Bowl but i can see them stealing the NHL idea and doing some sort of fantasy draft to drum up interest and competitiveness.

I disagree. Players that participate in the Super Bowl should also have the privilege to play in the Pro Bowl. They ESPECIALLY earned the right to a trip to Hawaii with their families. 10 players werent able to participate in the Pro Bowl this year because they're playin in the SB the following week. That's lame.

HOW TO FIX IT ??

#1 - cancel the actual game. turn it into an awards ceremony of some type. more skills competion. add a "strongest man" contest. or spend three hours signing autographs.

#2- seeing as #1 is very unlikely.....change the pay structure to nearly "all or nothing". currently the winner gets $45,000 and the loser $22,500. make it like $60,000 to the winner and $7,500 to the losers.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

Maybe the players like going to Hawaii and hang out for bit, play some backyard football and have some fun. I don't watch it anymore but I understand why the players like it.