Jim Miller breaks down Senior Bowl QB's

Cson76

I was on the road listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday when Jim Miller (who I have a lot of respect for in evaluating NFL QB's) broke down the QB's. I was driving so I'm recapping what I heard, but the overall message is the same.

Christian Ponder-FL. ST.

Arm thrower, doesn't open his hips on throws to the left, won't survive in the NFL. we'll be injury prone and won't get enough zip on the ball.

Stanzi- Iowa

Not enough arm strength, especially given his huge upper body, doesn't convert it into powerful throws. Said he shouldn't be there over the Wisconsin QB.

Kaepernick-Neveda

spoke very highly of his accuracy, arm strength and mobility. Said his college numbers are Drew Brees like with 10,000 passing and 5,000 rushing. Did mention the difference between WAC and SEC style conferences. However, that is what the senior bowl is about to has those differences out. really liked his size at 6'4"

Locker-Washington

Said he is the most intriguing of all the prospects due to size, strength mobility. Said he feels he is Mark Sanchez, like, raw, but with skills. Probably could use a year in a system to develop.

Dalton-TCU

thought very highly of him with this leadership, accuracy and mobility. Said he had the best feet and pocket presence of all the QB's. Thought his arm strength needs a little improvement by wasn't far off NFL caliber.

Been watching the Senior Bowl pratices too and pretty much agree with Miller that Colin K and Dalton are the only ones who have shown much, and even then only enough to be 2nd or 3rd round picks. Locker is just horribly inaccurate. How can you change that?

Mallett and Newton have to be better than these seniors. Haven't seen Gabbert yet.

Colin K can slide out that pocket and run better than anyone, even Newton. Would not mind him in Buffalo at all.

living in hawaii i have seen colin k play a bunch and he can really move got really good speed and tall. he could stand to gain a few pounds he looks very thin. but he does have a big arm. the start of his throwing motion looks a little slow but then it comes firing out. i believe he was drafted by the yankees and threw a high 90s fastball i could be wrong im to lazy to look it up again.

either way if he was able to sit and learn he could be really good in chans system i think.

Much like Tebow did, Kaepernick is going to have work with a QB coach during the weeks leading up to the combine to completely rework his throwing motion and mechanics. He also needs to add some weight to his frame to increase his durability of being an NFL QB.

I was on the road listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday when Jim Miller (who I have a lot of respect for in evaluating NFL QB's) broke down the QB's. I was driving so I'm recapping what I heard, but the overall message is the same.

Christian Ponder-FL. ST.

Arm thrower, doesn't open his hips on throws to the left, won't survive in the NFL. we'll be injury prone and won't get enough zip on the ball.

Stanzi- Iowa

Not enough arm strength, especially given his huge upper body, doesn't convert it into powerful throws. Said he shouldn't be there over the Wisconsin QB.

Kaepernick-Neveda

spoke very highly of his accuracy, arm strength and mobility. Said his college numbers are Drew Brees like with 10,000 passing and 5,000 rushing. Did mention the difference between WAC and SEC style conferences. However, that is what the senior bowl is about to has those differences out. really liked his size at 6'4"

Locker-Washington

Said he is the most intriguing of all the prospects due to size, strength mobility. Said he feels he is Mark Sanchez, like, raw, but with skills. Probably could use a year in a system to develop.

Dalton-TCU

thought very highly of him with this leadership, accuracy and mobility. Said he had the best feet and pocket presence of all the QB's. Thought his arm strength needs a little improvement by wasn't far off NFL caliber.

Loses a little credibility comparing WAC to SEC when talking about Kaepernick vs. Brees. Brees went to Purdue (Big Ten). The SEC has nothing to do with the comparison.

Loses a little credibility comparing WAC to SEC when talking about Kaepernick vs. Brees. Brees went to Purdue (Big Ten). The SEC has nothing to do with the comparison.

Since this was all paraphrased, I think a little was lost in translation. I think he meant to say that the #'s compared favorably to Brees and that was all. Then I think a separate statement about how the WAC is much different than the SEC, and he used the SEC because of they're considered the class of college football.

sorry, that is me missing the translation, not Miller. As I said, going off my memory

Everyone seems to have a high opinion of Dalton.....I know Maylock does.

Mayock has him rated tied for fifth. Gabbert is his top pick right now. BUT he's made it clear these are preliminary picks. In the two or three weeks before the draft is the time to really pay attention to his comments.

Just take Dalton in the second....then you have your QB to develop. He has talent and there wont be any pressure to start him immediately with Fitz......

I really wanted that 2nd round pick for a RT though......

Screw using a 2nd on Dalton. I'd rather get an OT or a LB with that pick. I don't think we should even draft a QB this year.

Just take Dalton in the second....then you have your QB to develop. He has talent and there wont be any pressure to start him immediately with Fitz......

I really wanted that 2nd round pick for a RT though......

Taking Dalton at the very top of the 2nd round is criminal. He's a 3rd rounder at best and even then I'd feel uneasy about using our 3rd pick on him.

Christian Ponder-FL. ST.

Stanzi- Iowa

Kaepernick-Neveda

Locker-Washington

Dalton-TCU

Advantage Kaepernick, these guys are going to move all over the rankings so I would take him with any pick but first.

Not by me brother. I like this kid a lot. He just seems to be under the radar. I say grab him.

Mayock was just talking about Kaepernick on Sirius NFL. He's not going to be under the radar for long. All of the hosts have been talking a bit about him today. Consensus is that he's a bit of a project/developmental guy but with BIG upside. Mayock said his delivery was a little different but the ball comes out at a very high RPM; better athlete than Tim Tebow---might run in the 4.5's.

My analogy might be to a guy like John Skelton in last-years draft, albeit about 20 pounds lighter.

And I should add that unless he blows up (in a bad way) during the Senior Bowl game or the combine, it's my prediction that he'll probably go no later than the 3rd. Too many teams need a QB in a weak class.

Edited by DanInSouthBuffalo

I like Kaepernick and would love to see him in Bills suit. In the Boise State game he brought his team from way back in the 4th Q including several great plays by him. I think I'd take him over all these other guys. Especially Locker. Living in Seattle, I saw him play a lot. He's not a good passer by any stretch of the imagination. He's a good running QB. Their O designed and used plays with him on the roll out because he can't throw from the pocket. Move along, nothing to see here. Pick Kaepernick instead.