Players we should have drafted

Here are the misses we let go in the first round the past decade, now we can't hit homeruns every time but this will show how sad but true we did.

2000 - #26 DE Erik Flowers (this pick still makes me mad)LB Keith Bulluck

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)

2002 - #4 OT Mike Williams ( :wallbash: knew this guy was a bum, big don't mean good, this guy was as nasty as a lamb) DE Dwight Freeney (my pick) S Ed Reed

2003 - #23 RB Willis McGahee (ok) TE Dallas Clark (yeah couldn't use him) (If we had Brees then we wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe and could have had S Troy Polamalu (imagine him and Reed as our safties :devil: :devil: :devil: )

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner :angry:DT Hiloti Ngati :wallbash: any questions

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch :angry:CB Darrelle Revis :wallbash:

2008 - #11 CB Leodis McKelvin (still waiting) OT Ryan Clady

2009 - #11 DE Aaron Maybin (Taking the fastest first step right out of here :oops: ) where do we begin Superstar OLB Clay Matthews, DE Brian Orakpo

,LB Brian Cushing

2010 - #9 RB CJ Spiller (BPA :sick: ) been over this plenty so short and quick; OT Brian Bulaga, DE Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB for us)C Maurkice Pouncey, QB Tim Tebow,

Have at it.

Here are the misses we let go in the first round the past decade, now we can't hit homeruns every time but this will show how sad but true we did.

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)

2002 - #4 OT Mike Williams ( :wallbash: knew this guy was a bum, big don't mean good, this guy was as nasty as a lamb) DE Dwight Freeney (my pick) S Ed Reed

2003 - #23 RB Willis McGahee (ok) TE Dallas Clark (yeah couldn't use him) (If we had Brees then we wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe and could have had S Troy Polamalu (imagine him and Reed as our safties :devil: :devil: :devil: )

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)

2009 - #11 DE Aaron Maybin (Taking the fastest first step right out of here :oops: ) where do we begin Superstar OLB Clay Matthews, DE Brian Orakpo

,LB Brian Cushing

2010 - #9 RB CJ Spiller (BPA :sick: ) been over this plenty so short and quick; OT Brian Bulaga, DE Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB for us)C Maurkice Pouncey, QB Tim Tebow,

Have at it.

and pof course coaching has nothing and I mean nothing to do with success and failure of a NFL draft pick. It's all just who you are and where you were picked!

can we please stop beating this dead horse to death again and again and again.

Perhaps Ralph shouldn't have fired Bill way back in 92/93, or Wade Phillips which started a revolving door at the head coach position. But what's done is done, so move on!

You can always do 20-20 hindsight, of course. But what's remarkable is how many of those alternate picks where player the fans wanted ahead of time. I've been here a while: People wanted Bryant McKinnie, not Mike Williams. I remember a ton of talk about Vince Wilfork. Ngata was a slam dunk - perhaps the single most universally-agreed on draft option ever. And absolutely nobody wanted Maybin. This was an Orakpo joint. There are some moves you can't fault the team for - but when the fans are picking better than you, and especially when Mel Freaking Kiper has a better read on the talent than you do, there's a problem.

Also, just once, in ten years, wouldn't it have been nice to remember a pick as a total steal? The only one even borderline is Nate Clements.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

It is so sad. I think about this same stuff almost every day.

This year the one guy I am keeping an eye out for is QB Andy Dalton....He looked the best during the bowl games and is a four year starter who is use to winning.I think he is the best QB coming out and nobody talks about him.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

The people who do the Bill's drafting seem to be hell bent on finding diamonds in the rough. Finding diamonds is great at pick 4-7 and free agency but for pick 1-3 it's pretty obvious as to who the best players are.

and pof course coaching has nothing and I mean nothing to do with success and failure of a NFL draft pick. It's all just who you are and where you were picked!

can we please stop beating this dead horse to death again and again and again.

Perhaps Ralph shouldn't have fired Bill way back in 92/93, or Wade Phillips which started a revolving door at the head coach position. But what's done is done, so move on!

Sadly, it's not a dead horse. As fans, we constantly live (& die) with the horrendous mistakes the Bills hierarchy make every April.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

Obviously the group @ One Bills Drive that were in charge of these drafts need to go find a new line of work. How many drafts does it take to figure out that do NOT know What the hell they are doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is not just hindsight, but the utter lack of historical context to understand these choices. A few examples:

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)—At the time, the Bills had Rob Johnson, and had just gone through a bruising QB controversy. No one at the time would have understood the decision to draft a QB. Actually, if I remember aright, the choice people pushed instead of Clements was Tra Thomas.

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)—At the time, it was taken for true by pretty much every commentator that the Bills needed a speed WR to bail out an offense that had regressed so badly in 2003.

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins—This goes back to picking Losman, of course. It was already too late.

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner DT Hiloti Ngati any questions—Only whether you ever bother to spell names properly. <_<

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch CB Darrelle Revis—Goodness gracious. Do you really think that drafting a CB would have been greeted with excitement anywhere in Bills-land? Again, the clear assumption, shared by many at the time, was that the Bills needed to improve their running game.

Yes, we could view it that way, but vince wilfork could have been the next Gerald warren and donte whitner could have been the next ed reed. I truly believe where a player starts his career makes a world of difference.

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch :angry: CB Darrelle Revis :wallbash: 2008 - #11 CB Leodis McKelvin (still waiting) OT Ryan Clady

Wasting #12 overall on a running back, especially a stiff like Lynch is what bugs me the most. It was the result of getting rid of McGahee because he said cities like Miami and Toronto have more stuff to do than Buffalo .... duh, no kidding. Is there anyone in Buffalo that could make a case otherwise? Even with we didn't take Revis, we could have had Timmons or Beason at LB, both of whom tower over Posluszny, who we drafted in Rd2.

Drafting is always somewhat of a crapshoot that cant be controlled, but we can control not over reacting to every comment made by a Bill. :wallbash:

McCargo, not on your list, bothers me 2nd most because he was drafted several rounds ahead of where he was graded simply because of Marv's silly "high motor guy" philosophy.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The problem is not just hindsight, but the utter lack of historical context to understand these choices. A few examples:

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)—At the time, the Bills had Rob Johnson, and had just gone through a bruising QB controversy. No one at the time would have understood the decision to draft a QB. Actually, if I remember aright, the choice people pushed instead of Clements was Tra Thomas.

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)—At the time, it was taken for true by pretty much every commentator that the Bills needed a speed WR to bail out an offense that had regressed so badly in 2003.

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins—This goes back to picking Losman, of course. It was already too late.

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner DT Hiloti Ngati any questions—Only whether you ever bother to spell names properly. <_<

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch CB Darrelle Revis—Goodness gracious. Do you really think that drafting a CB would have been greeted with excitement anywhere in Bills-land? Again, the clear assumption, shared by many at the time, was that the Bills needed to improve their running game.

It was Kenyatta Walker, and the Bills traded down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_oKve-bH0

"Do you know what a curse it is to have perfect 20/20 hindsight???"

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

http://drafthistory.com/teams/bills.html

Any individual pick can be easily challenged either way, but when was the last time the Bills really made a great pick before the 5th round? We've had some success very late (Moats, Johnson, Bell, Williams), but 1-2-3-4: the Bills have almost never had a guy who really stood out beyond his draft position.

there were really obvious picks that should have been made at the time. The number one pick for Mike Williams was weird in that the consensus was that the best Offensive Tackle was Bryant McKinney, who has had a very good career. Erik Flowers and Aaron Maybin were headscratchers from day one. Others were gambles, but you had to give the benefit of the doubt to, Losman, McGahee with his injury, Whitner, Spiller. Others were pretty ok picks, Clements, Lynch,Evans and possibly McKelvin.

We have not been very good at drafting in the first round or two and that goes a long way toward where we are today. We have not been aggressive or smart in free agency either in keeping good players or getting quality players. We have not been very good at trading.

Eh ... most, if not all, teams can make the same arguments. The only "mistakes" that stand out to me are McGahee, Lynch and Spiller. It's just my personal belief that no team should ever spend their first pick on a running back. Well, unless you already have the perfect O-line, WRs, QBs and defense in place - and we all know that wasn't the case!

Conversations like this are happening in Carolina, Denver and every other crappy franchise in the league. Not sure where the hindsight or the wallowing in past failures gets anyone.

If we draft Dareus and Quinn turns out to be great, there will be posts about about how we shoulda drafted Quinn.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

took me twenty seconds to browse, thirty to reply. hope it took you more than 50 seconds to waste your time with this wank.

took me twenty seconds to browse, thirty to reply. hope it took you more than 50 seconds to waste your time with this wank.

Took me 60 seconds to decide if I wanted to reply to you or not...but I decided you won't hang around long enough to read it. Too many other important things to do... like protecting government secrets, or stopping the spread of nuclear weapons. I sure wish I was important, but I'm just a Bills fan......

Should-a Would-a Could-a , i think we have all written this post at least once in our time hear but i can say i agree one hundred percent !!

One you forgot when i did my post on this was when we took Maybin & Orapko was still sitting there & the Skins took him 2 picks later.

That's kind of working out for us like the Obama thing is LOSER !!!! :thumbdown:

Should-a Would-a Could-a , i think we have all written this post at least once in our time hear but i can say i agree one hundred percent !!

One you forgot when i did my post on this was when we took Maybin & Orapko was still sitting there & the Skins took him 2 picks later.

That's kind of working out for us like the Obama thing is LOSER !!!! :thumbdown:

take it to PPP.

nazi board material.

Man o man T Master...that's what stuck in my craw as well! I was chanting "O R A P K O" before the pick! I was totally miffed when they picked Maybin. I'm still ticked! I don't think I'll get over it until Maybin gets his pink slip, which is inevitable. It's still hard to believe. The two players aren't even the same universe.

Yeah, and didn't we trade up and get McCargo when we could have stayed pat and gotten Mangold?

No but your memory isn't that far off...when it was announced that we had traded back into Rd 1 a lot of us thought Mangold was the target and then they drafted McCargo. Mangold was taken a few picks later but was gone by the pick we originally had in Rd 2. We could have stayed where we were in Rd 2 and drafted Marcus McNeil though.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda-dumb post. Hindsight is 20-20. Yes our FO has made so many mistakes over the past 12-15 years, but you could make a post about every team in the NFL with this subject.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

These list are alwasy pretty silly, as you can do this for every team in the NFL. Even in the Whitner case...it was widely reported that Whitner was going to be picked right after we grabbed him, so we werent the only one who had him graded high and we needed safety help. Ngata was by far the wide spread belief as our pick, including myself, and definitely the safer pick. But like I said, other teams had Whitner high on their board as well and it was still a need.

Even the JP Losman trade was a move we had to make if we wanted to get him as he would have been gone before our next pick. Again a position of need, and honestly, I dont how much of his sucky career wasnt on our staff and the handling of him. So even this blunder made some sense at the time as he was the next highest rated QB that year.

However, the McCargo trade up is about the worst I have ever seen. This guy wasnt even a big factor in college and was the third guy on that infamous D Line. We could have had him in the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe the 4th. This was an Al Davis type of move and really inexcusable.

Most of these other busts were not as bad of picks then as they look now. The most offensive cases are Flowers and McCargo. Even Maybin was graded to be the best pass rusher by many, so even though most of us wanted someone else (myself included), it was a pick someone was going to blunder on right behind us somewhere as he was high on most teams draft boards because of his speed.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

Obviously they've made some errors in the drafts of the past decade. Aside from the hindsight is 20/20 argument, I do think you are going about this incorrectly. You really have to take into consideration what type of player/position they were looking to draft or needed on the team. For instance, the Mike Williams pick. Obviously this was a bad pick and there were people who thought so before he played a down. However, was there really ever a chance that they were not goign to take a OT there? It was between Williams and McKinney, who is OK, but not living up to expectations either (though obviously much closer than Williams). Freeney wasn't a consideration and neither was Ed Reed. They had a good defense at that point, but couldn't do anything on offense. Just traded for Bledsoe, so they ahd to get someone to protect him. Another one is Evans/Wilfork. We had a great interior that year and needed a deep threat at WR. They had to take Evans and I believe that was probably their best pick of the decade, not that it's saying much.

No

Actually, we did trade up and could have gotten Mangold, but he would have been gone had we stayed pat.

Mangold would go a few picks after McCargo.

No but your memory isn't that far off...when it was announced that we had traded back into Rd 1 a lot of us thought Mangold was the target and then they drafted McCargo. Mangold was taken a few picks later but was gone by the pick we originally had in Rd 2. We could have stayed where we were in Rd 2 and drafted Marcus McNeil though.

Sorry that I responded too early before seeing this, Stl Bills, and thank you.

But let's say one of those picks happened, and the Bills had even one more win (or loss) that season! Then the next season the draft order would have been different which would have changed a lot of other teams' priorities/ picks.

This is such a ridiculous thread. Why bother?

because the board was slow.

They are spelled right, which is not even a point here.