Players we should have drafted

Here are the misses we let go in the first round the past decade, now we can't hit homeruns every time but this will show how sad but true we did.

2000 - #26 DE Erik Flowers (this pick still makes me mad)LB Keith Bulluck

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)

2002 - #4 OT Mike Williams ( :wallbash: knew this guy was a bum, big don't mean good, this guy was as nasty as a lamb) DE Dwight Freeney (my pick) S Ed Reed

2003 - #23 RB Willis McGahee (ok) TE Dallas Clark (yeah couldn't use him) (If we had Brees then we wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe and could have had S Troy Polamalu (imagine him and Reed as our safties :devil: :devil: :devil: )

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner :angry:DT Hiloti Ngati :wallbash: any questions

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch :angry:CB Darrelle Revis :wallbash:

2008 - #11 CB Leodis McKelvin (still waiting) OT Ryan Clady

2009 - #11 DE Aaron Maybin (Taking the fastest first step right out of here :oops: ) where do we begin Superstar OLB Clay Matthews, DE Brian Orakpo

,LB Brian Cushing

2010 - #9 RB CJ Spiller (BPA :sick: ) been over this plenty so short and quick; OT Brian Bulaga, DE Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB for us)C Maurkice Pouncey, QB Tim Tebow,

Have at it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the misses we let go in the first round the past decade, now we can't hit homeruns every time but this will show how sad but true we did.

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)

2002 - #4 OT Mike Williams ( :wallbash: knew this guy was a bum, big don't mean good, this guy was as nasty as a lamb) DE Dwight Freeney (my pick) S Ed Reed

2003 - #23 RB Willis McGahee (ok) TE Dallas Clark (yeah couldn't use him) (If we had Brees then we wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe and could have had S Troy Polamalu (imagine him and Reed as our safties :devil: :devil: :devil: )

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)

2009 - #11 DE Aaron Maybin (Taking the fastest first step right out of here :oops: ) where do we begin Superstar OLB Clay Matthews, DE Brian Orakpo

,LB Brian Cushing

2010 - #9 RB CJ Spiller (BPA :sick: ) been over this plenty so short and quick; OT Brian Bulaga, DE Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB for us)C Maurkice Pouncey, QB Tim Tebow,

Have at it.

and pof course coaching has nothing and I mean nothing to do with success and failure of a NFL draft pick. It's all just who you are and where you were picked!

can we please stop beating this dead horse to death again and again and again.

Perhaps Ralph shouldn't have fired Bill way back in 92/93, or Wade Phillips which started a revolving door at the head coach position. But what's done is done, so move on!

You can always do 20-20 hindsight, of course. But what's remarkable is how many of those alternate picks where player the fans wanted ahead of time. I've been here a while: People wanted Bryant McKinnie, not Mike Williams. I remember a ton of talk about Vince Wilfork. Ngata was a slam dunk - perhaps the single most universally-agreed on draft option ever. And absolutely nobody wanted Maybin. This was an Orakpo joint. There are some moves you can't fault the team for - but when the fans are picking better than you, and especially when Mel Freaking Kiper has a better read on the talent than you do, there's a problem.

Also, just once, in ten years, wouldn't it have been nice to remember a pick as a total steal? The only one even borderline is Nate Clements.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

It is so sad. I think about this same stuff almost every day.

This year the one guy I am keeping an eye out for is QB Andy Dalton....He looked the best during the bowl games and is a four year starter who is use to winning.I think he is the best QB coming out and nobody talks about him.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

The people who do the Bill's drafting seem to be hell bent on finding diamonds in the rough. Finding diamonds is great at pick 4-7 and free agency but for pick 1-3 it's pretty obvious as to who the best players are.

and pof course coaching has nothing and I mean nothing to do with success and failure of a NFL draft pick. It's all just who you are and where you were picked!

can we please stop beating this dead horse to death again and again and again.

Perhaps Ralph shouldn't have fired Bill way back in 92/93, or Wade Phillips which started a revolving door at the head coach position. But what's done is done, so move on!

Sadly, it's not a dead horse. As fans, we constantly live (& die) with the horrendous mistakes the Bills hierarchy make every April.

,LB Brian Cushing

Have at it.

Obviously the group @ One Bills Drive that were in charge of these drafts need to go find a new line of work. How many drafts does it take to figure out that do NOT know What the hell they are doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is not just hindsight, but the utter lack of historical context to understand these choices. A few examples:

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)—At the time, the Bills had Rob Johnson, and had just gone through a bruising QB controversy. No one at the time would have understood the decision to draft a QB. Actually, if I remember aright, the choice people pushed instead of Clements was Tra Thomas.

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)—At the time, it was taken for true by pretty much every commentator that the Bills needed a speed WR to bail out an offense that had regressed so badly in 2003.

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins—This goes back to picking Losman, of course. It was already too late.

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner DT Hiloti Ngati any questions—Only whether you ever bother to spell names properly. <_<

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch CB Darrelle Revis—Goodness gracious. Do you really think that drafting a CB would have been greeted with excitement anywhere in Bills-land? Again, the clear assumption, shared by many at the time, was that the Bills needed to improve their running game.

Yes, we could view it that way, but vince wilfork could have been the next Gerald warren and donte whitner could have been the next ed reed. I truly believe where a player starts his career makes a world of difference.

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch :angry: CB Darrelle Revis :wallbash: 2008 - #11 CB Leodis McKelvin (still waiting) OT Ryan Clady

Wasting #12 overall on a running back, especially a stiff like Lynch is what bugs me the most. It was the result of getting rid of McGahee because he said cities like Miami and Toronto have more stuff to do than Buffalo .... duh, no kidding. Is there anyone in Buffalo that could make a case otherwise? Even with we didn't take Revis, we could have had Timmons or Beason at LB, both of whom tower over Posluszny, who we drafted in Rd2.

Drafting is always somewhat of a crapshoot that cant be controlled, but we can control not over reacting to every comment made by a Bill. :wallbash:

McCargo, not on your list, bothers me 2nd most because he was drafted several rounds ahead of where he was graded simply because of Marv's silly "high motor guy" philosophy.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The problem is not just hindsight, but the utter lack of historical context to understand these choices. A few examples:

2001 - #21 CB Nate Clements (not bad) QB Drew Brees (how long have we been replacing Jimbo)—At the time, the Bills had Rob Johnson, and had just gone through a bruising QB controversy. No one at the time would have understood the decision to draft a QB. Actually, if I remember aright, the choice people pushed instead of Clements was Tra Thomas.

2004 - #13 WR Lee Evans (surprisingly never made probowl) NT Vince Wolfork (was a beast in College and still is today, would have taken him in a heart beat)—At the time, it was taken for true by pretty much every commentator that the Bills needed a speed WR to bail out an offense that had regressed so badly in 2003.

2005 - pick went Dallas #20 could have had QB Aaron Rodgers or G Logan Mankins—This goes back to picking Losman, of course. It was already too late.

2006 - #8 S Donte Whitner DT Hiloti Ngati any questions—Only whether you ever bother to spell names properly. <_<

2007 - #12 RB Marshawn Lynch CB Darrelle Revis—Goodness gracious. Do you really think that drafting a CB would have been greeted with excitement anywhere in Bills-land? Again, the clear assumption, shared by many at the time, was that the Bills needed to improve their running game.

It was Kenyatta Walker, and the Bills traded down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_oKve-bH0

"Do you know what a curse it is to have perfect 20/20 hindsight???"

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

http://drafthistory.com/teams/bills.html

Any individual pick can be easily challenged either way, but when was the last time the Bills really made a great pick before the 5th round? We've had some success very late (Moats, Johnson, Bell, Williams), but 1-2-3-4: the Bills have almost never had a guy who really stood out beyond his draft position.