bring in Mangini

There was a great article in the NY Times the other day with Mangini laying out a basic blueprint on how to beat the Pats. Now for the most part it was what you expect a bunch of fluff for the sake of an article, but what caught my eye was where he was talking about during his time with the Jets, that their philosophy was simply to draft/acquire players for the sole purpose of beating NE, because if you're not beating NE you're not going to the playoffs. On the outside you would say no ****, but it talked about how they got revis to cover welker, how they drafted mangold to neutralize wilfork, and for the purpose of an inside running game. It just made me think we have one team in our division who's mission statement is to beat the Pats, and well the Bills who only care about beating the Dolphins. Mangini would make far too much sense due to his familiarity with the Jets, and yes most of the people the jets drafted that play for them were Mangini draft picks, and for his familiarity with Belichick, and the fact despite not having the greatest collection of talent, was able to beat him both with the Jets and The Browns. Common sense says it's a no brainer hire. Unfortunatly common sense also says Ralph won't eat George Edwards contract and shell out the money it would take to get Mangini. One can hope though

Could be first test on how serious Ralph is, IF Nix and Chan feel they need someone like Wanny or Mangenius and Ralph wont allow them than we can expect same thing in FA agency second rate FAs and another 10 years hoping

I get the feeling that Chan won't fire Edwards this year because he pulled him from the U of F job and feels he owes it to him not to fire him so quick!! But maybe we can get someone to consult for a year!

I agree with Mangini - or Wannstadt, whoever that is smart enough on Defense to deal with these great teams we face every year in our division. Anyway, as far as Nix and Gailey are concerned - I know Gailey does the offense himself, but they should have looked for the very best defensive mind to build the very best defense; not what we have now - frankly, it looks like they are handicapping themselves for some reason (ralph?, $$$?). It doesn't have to be Mangini; any intelligent professional coordinator would be able to figure out how to beat these guys, schematically and personnel wise. (For what it's worth, I came up with the idea on my own earlier in the year to devise a different game plan for the first and second quarter - so that whatever adjustments are made become mute...)

Anyway, I was going to say, if Wood stays at center then there you have the dominant Center to handle the tough NT's in our division. If McKelvin had panned out, as he was projected to be every bit as good as Revis, I believe, then we can say we've made similar attempts - only we haven't had the money to spend on the same quality free agents, and some of our rookies haven't panned out. Nevertheless, I think it is important to believe that we aren't that far off, really, in my opinion, only one very concentrated, well executed offseason away from having the personnel to compete in our division.

I'm more concerned with having the Defensive coaching to be able to prepare for our opponents - because, N.E., and the Jets are some of the best coached teams in the NFL, and we need someone way, way above average to coordinate a defense that can compete.

(In fact, I'd say our worst setback these last ten plus years has been Ralph Wilson's very outdated ideas on how much money should be allotted to a coaching staff. I think he believes this: it's only football, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to coach a game! - It seems obvious that the absence of real capable coaches and personnel men has hurt us more than anything else.)

Nope. he has previous DC (and HC) experience. Ralph would have to damn near pay him HC coin. Ralph will stick to his plan of bringing inexperienced coordinators. When he fires them he ain't out a whole lot of money.

Ralph is still pissed over the last DC the Bills hired that had previous DC/HC experience (Wade).

Nope. he has previous DC (and HC) experience. Ralph would have to damn near pay him HC coin. Ralph will stick to his plan of bringing inexperienced coordinators. When he fires them he ain't out a whole lot of money.

Ralph is still pissed over the last DC the Bills hired that had previous DC/HC experience (Wade).

And yet he was willing to pay $10M to Shanahan?

Could be first test on how serious Ralph is, IF Nix and Chan feel they need someone like Wanny or Mangenius and Ralph wont allow them than we can expect same thing in FA agency second rate FAs and another 10 years hoping

It would indeed be an indication of serious Ralph is. I'm not holding my breath.

Lest he wants revenge on the Pats and Jets I doubt he'd come here. Although if he can turn this Bills defense around and help them win with defense consistently it would help get his name on the A list for HC positions again next year or the year after. Sitting out does not help him in that respect and it doesn't sound like he's got a lot of options.......and from his standpoint familiarity with the division would make his job easier in terms of understanding the opponents 6 games out of the year......

Mangini would undermine Gailey. I highly doubt the elder Gailey would want to cede any credit to a young coach whom some consider the 2nd coming of Belichick. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but it is highly unlikely this marriage would work. Seems Gailey is dead set on making George Edwards work.

There was a great article in the NY Times the other day with Mangini laying out a basic blueprint on how to beat the Pats. Now for the most part it was what you expect a bunch of fluff for the sake of an article, but what caught my eye was where he was talking about during his time with the Jets, that their philosophy was simply to draft/acquire players for the sole purpose of beating NE, because if you're not beating NE you're not going to the playoffs. On the outside you would say no ****, but it talked about how they got revis to cover welker, how they drafted mangold to neutralize wilfork, and for the purpose of an inside running game. It just made me think we have one team in our division who's mission statement is to beat the Pats, and well the Bills who only care about beating the Dolphins. Mangini would make far too much sense due to his familiarity with the Jets, and yes most of the people the jets drafted that play for them were Mangini draft picks, and for his familiarity with Belichick, and the fact despite not having the greatest collection of talent, was able to beat him both with the Jets and The Browns. Common sense says it's a no brainer hire. Unfortunatly common sense also says Ralph won't eat George Edwards contract and shell out the money it would take to get Mangini. One can hope though

Excellent post, and a clear explanation of why the Bills front office is so bad -- they draft as if in a void.

If they want to run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid with an emphasis on the 4-3 I say go with Wanny if you want to run a more pure 3-4 system that only mixes in the 4-3 I think Mangini would be an excellent guy.

I remember this idea being posted on TSW and it was well received the guy can beat the Pats* and specializes in the 3-4 system. Also take a look at the guys drafts in NY and to a lesser extent Cleveland he did pretty well drafting defensive and offensive players there and even if his GM's were more so involved with that he had to have some input in those drafts.

Mangini's draft record with the Jets (1st two rounds + notable players in later rounds)

2006- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Eric Mangold, Leon Washington, and Kellen Clemens (Mangold and Ferguson both fixtures on the O-line, a miss with Clemens, and Washington a pretty good late round pick up).

2007- Darrell Revis and David Harris (Both Fixtures on the Jets D, Revis one of the top two at his position)

2008- Vernon Gholston and Dustin Keller with Dwight Lowerly and Danny Woodhead later and Undrafted pickups (Gholston so far a bust but Keller is a really nice Tight end and Lowerly has been a serviceable player while Woodhead is doing well for the Pats*).

I can't speak on how he did drafting for the Browns but I can say that what he did with the Jets was excellent out of 7 first and second round selections Mangini was able to land 5 really good to great players with only 2 busts.

Cowboys signed him!

Ill take Mangini then lol

I heard that interview on ESPN radio the other day. It really angered me actually bc I kept thinkiong "Why the hell arent eh Bills doing this ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

It kinda throws out the notion of BPA as the ebst strategy anyways - which I agree with, but thats another debate.

Screw the Man-gina the guy sucks.

Well I guess that settles our little discussion. I mean, who could argue with such a comprehensive and convincing statement of position?

If they want to run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid with an emphasis on the 4-3 I say go with Wanny if you want to run a more pure 3-4 system that only mixes in the 4-3 I think Mangini would be an excellent guy.

I remember this idea being posted on TSW and it was well received the guy can beat the Pats* and specializes in the 3-4 system. Also take a look at the guys drafts in NY and to a lesser extent Cleveland he did pretty well drafting defensive and offensive players there and even if his GM's were more so involved with that he had to have some input in those drafts.

Mangini's draft record with the Jets (1st two rounds + notable players in later rounds)

2006- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Eric Mangold, Leon Washington, and Kellen Clemens (Mangold and Ferguson both fixtures on the O-line, a miss with Clemens, and Washington a pretty good late round pick up).

2007- Darrell Revis and David Harris (Both Fixtures on the Jets D, Revis one of the top two at his position)

2008- Vernon Gholston and Dustin Keller with Dwight Lowerly and Danny Woodhead later and Undrafted pickups (Gholston so far a bust but Keller is a really nice Tight end and Lowerly has been a serviceable player while Woodhead is doing well for the Pats*).

I can't speak on how he did drafting for the Browns but I can say that what he did with the Jets was excellent out of 7 first and second round selections Mangini was able to land 5 really good to great players with only 2 busts.

Just remember the drafts were run by the man who hired and then fired Mangini, Mike Tannenbaum.

Cowboys signed him!

That stinks hoping he might come here too. Anyone know if Vic Fangio signed somewhere?

Mangini would undermine Gailey. I highly doubt the elder Gailey would want to cede any credit to a young coach whom some consider the 2nd coming of Belichick. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but it is highly unlikely this marriage would work. Seems Gailey is dead set on making George Edwards work.

He might be trying to make Edwards work but I think he humble enough to bring whoever can help, It's Ralph that doesn't like spending the money.

There is a difference between being "cheap" and foolishly signing coaches to contracts that can paralyze you for years into the future. I've heard the "Wilson is cheap" argument for years, but started considering how the structure of the contract plays into it when I read an article where some players keep getting paid for decades into the future by their former teams solely based on how they set up the contract when they sighed with the team.

We never know as fans if these "hot" coaches (Shanahan, Cowher) insist on some ridiculous deferred compensation clause where a team pays them literally for decades, or so much of the contract is guaranteed. Why, as an owner, would you want to pay an employee decades after he was last an employee for your company? Why would you submit to paying a guy the bulk of his salary years after he was lousy and only lasted on the job a year?

This might extend to any coach you interview and hire. It's not always about the amount of money. We just never know if it's money=money between two contracts. I doubt it's that simple.

If Wilson has avoided the big names because of things like that, I credit, not criticize him for keeping the team out of contract hell.