Patrick Peterson

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=2729

i could definitely see the bills drafting Peterson this draft. it seems as if the bills always through a curveball for their first pick and this would be an example. however, peterson is skilled and would make an impact in the nfl so im not totally down on this pick if he was selected by us.

thoughts?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could definitely see the bills drafting Peterson this draft. it seems as if the bills always through a curveball for their first pick and this would be an example. however, peterson is skilled and would make an impact in the nfl so im not totally down on this pick if he was selected by us.

thoughts?

I would not run screaming for the hills, but I certainly would not be happy with this pick. He is a talented defensive back (might be better suited at Safety than cornerback), and an exceptional special teams player. I agree that the Bills tend to do some strange things with their first rounders, often leaving us fans scratching our heads, but I am hoping that Buddy & Co. finally make a logical decision this year in drafting the best available defensive lineman (1. Fairley 2. Dareus 3. Bowers...IMO). Hopefully, as speculated by many, Denver will take Peterson with the #2 pick.

After seeing Peterson get his teeth kicked in by WR #8 from A&M in the Cotton Bowl I say no F’ing way. Further, the Bills have proven that putting a priority on DBs and RBs in the draft results in constant losing seasons. Id like this team to select a great player at an important position and Peterson is not that guy.

thoughts?

These types of posts circulated last year leading up to the draft, only the player mentioned was Spiller. At the time I thought it was just crazy fan talk. There's no way the Bills' front office would be that dense and that far out of touch with what it takes to build a team. Yet, as the draft grew closer, these posts grew more persistent and, surprisingly, grew more popular amongst the fan base.

"Best player available!" ... "He can score from anywhere!" ... "Marshawn is one strike away from being banned!" ... "Freddie is old!"

On and on it went.

But then, the Bills actually picked Spiller and I was dumbfounded.

Now, these posts are starting again (This is at least the third such post over the past few weeks). And again, I'm seeing people climb on board this band wagon. So that being said, it would not surprise me one bit if Peterson is the pick. But it would only serve to remind us once again what an utter abortion Nix has been as GM.

i see this as a real possibility since the front office might see our def line almost set with edwards, troupe, williams, carrington, stroud and johnson...also they will likely go with moats, davis, poz and merriman at the lb position.

You do realize that's the same front as last year and we were ranked dead last against the run. I sure hope they don't see it that way. Trenches first!!!

And as for the lbs, none of them can cover.

Edited by qdawg in philly

Howard Simon was talking this morning about how Rex Ryan and others are now of the belief that the way to build a defense is from the backfield in. The thought is that lockdown corners make everyone on the D better, it improves the pass rush, etc. Also, is it me or does it seem as if there are fewer first round cornerback busts than any other position? With all that said, if they don't go QB or Defensive line at number 3, I'll be sick to my stomach.

You do realize that's the same front as last year and we were ranked dead last against the run. I sure hope they don't see it that way. Trenches first!!!

And as for the lbs, none of them can cover.

the bills pass defense were close to the bottom in the league in td's allowed...if the kid turns out to be on the same level of champ bailey, revis, asoumadi I would be ok. i really am just tired of seeing 1st rounders that dont produce and would be happy if he comes in and starts

Howard Simon was talking this morning about how Rex Ryan and others are now of the belief that the way to build a defense is from the backfield in. The thought is that lockdown corners make everyone on the D better, it improves the pass rush, etc. Also, is it me or does it seem as if there are fewer first round cornerback busts than any other position? With all that said, if they don't go QB or Defensive line at number 3, I'll be sick to my stomach.

That was the same logic with Spiller. A dynamic back will make the offensive line look better by turning nothing into something and will make the QB look better by giving him an outlet and keeping the rush at bay.

After seeing Peterson get his teeth kicked in by WR #8 from A&M in the Cotton Bowl I say no F’ing way. Further, the Bills have proven that putting a priority on DBs and RBs in the draft results in constant losing seasons. Id like this team to select a great player at an important position and Peterson is not that guy.

Yup, we dismissed Peterson talking in the Von Miller potential thread. Jeff Fuller (#8) dominated him in the Cotton Bowl. We need someone who can stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Pray that Carolina and Denver do not pick Fairley, otherwise, Marcell Dareus should be the choice at #3.

That was the same logic with Spiller. A dynamic back will make the offensive line look better by turning nothing into something and will make the QB look better by giving him an outlet and keeping the rush at bay.

Rex Ryan was in SI and stated that his defense needs to have a shutdown CB, because then it allows him so much more flexibility with the front 7. Hence the reason why they have Revis (1st rounder in 2007), Cromartie, and drafted Kyle Wilson (1st rounder in 2010).

I'm not advocating the Bills select a CB at #3, but stating that the NFL is changing, and its no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust and we need lots of fat guys to be good type of league. Its quickly becoming a wide-open, passing, shotgun in over half your snaps, 3 or more WRs on a majority of plays so you need to cover them type of league.

Rex Ryan was in SI and stated that his defense needs to have a shutdown CB, because then it allows him so much more flexibility with the front 7. Hence the reason why they have Revis (1st rounder in 2007), Cromartie, and drafted Kyle Wilson (1st rounder in 2010).

I'm not advocating the Bills select a CB at #3, but stating that the NFL is changing, and its no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust and we need lots of fat guys to be good type of league. Its quickly becoming a wide-open, passing, shotgun in over half your snaps, 3 or more WRs on a majority of plays so you need to cover them type of league.

Why not? Because you have seen this dumb strategy result in 11 years of consistent losing?

What many (not saying you) miss is that it isn't all about a player being "great," because a great Peterson would help this team a lot less than a "very good" Right Tackle.

The playoffs are on now. Do you think the Jets can beat NE without running the football and keeping it away from Brady? Or, do you think that chances are that the winner of the Steeler/Ravens game will have more yards on the ground than the losing team?

You are correct. It is more of a passing league today, but teams that are weak up front will never be top teams. And, you don't get stronger by drafting first round cornerbacks, running backs, wideouts, or gadget players. Unfortunately, the Bills are living proof.

When the foundation is solid, then we can worry more about things that are "secondary."

But then, the Bills actually picked Spiller and I was dumbfounded.

Who did you want? I'm not sure I see the Orakpo or Ngata in this one, and am pretty optimistic about what Spiller will mean to this team over the next five years.

Everyone raves about our great pass defense, well that's because when you're the worst team stopping the run, team's don't bother passing the ball as much. But when you face teams like the Patriots who throw 4 TDs against you every game because you have no pass rush, then it's alright to draft a top tier corner. We need to draft to beat the Patriots.