Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick

zevo

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put much stock in the report that the Saints said they'd have traded a 3rd round pick for Lynch. First, how do we (or the reporter) know

that is true? Why would a Saints' "insider" now reveal such a thing? Would it have been a "conditional" 3rd and, if so, what were the conditions?

Even if you believe that the Bills front office is totally incompetent (which I don't happen to believe), it is hard for me to imagine them deciding

"Hey, let's trade Marshawn and we'll only offer him to Seattle - heck, we don't want to maximize the compensation that we might get" There is

no tie that I know of to Seattle's front office - what possible motivation could the Bills' front office have had for not shopping him to all the

teams?

Sounds kinda suspicious to me, but I know lots of folks here want to believe stuff like this. Of course, I can't prove that this wasn't the case,

it just makes no sense at all to me.

Really dude? Your SERIOUSLY trying to say that this makes no sense? Did drafting Spiller or Maybin make sense? Did keeping Edwards until Week 2 make sense? DID RESIGNING FREAKIN CHRIS KELSAY MAKE SENSE!? HE IS ONE OF THE WORST PLAYERS IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE! AND THEY SIGNED HIM FOR 20 MILLION OVER 4 YEARS WHEN THE WHOLE LEAGUE KNOWS THAT HE'S TERRIBLE AND OLD AND NO ONE ELSE WOULD WANT HIM.

The Bills just don't make sense. Almost everything they do is beyond stupid. So when it is rumored that the Bills could have gotten a 3rd for Marshawn but instead traded for a 4th DAMN RIGHT I WILL BELIEVE IT. To not believe it is to be ignorant of this teams incompetence and to live in a deluded reality where the Bills are a respectable franchise that make logical decisions.

If the Pats or the Steelers were rumored to have done something like this I would definitely not believe it because it is totally irrational and they make consistently excellent decisions. But the Bills? There is no doubt in my mind that this rumor is true. :doh:

...BILLS FOR LIVE :P

I am sure, that Lynch is glad he is gone too. He is out of the coaching and player carousel in Buffalo. He is in the playoffs. He is going to round 2 of the playoffs with a tremendous run, that the whole NFL saw on TV. That run, will get him a very good second contract. He is on the west coast, where he wants to be. I bet he sure misses the Buffalo Bills. Poor guy, what a bad trade for him!

I don't put much stock in the report that the Saints said they'd have traded a 3rd round pick for Lynch. First, how do we (or the reporter) know

that is true? Why would a Saints' "insider" now reveal such a thing? Would it have been a "conditional" 3rd and, if so, what were the conditions?

Even if you believe that the Bills front office is totally incompetent (which I don't happen to believe), it is hard for me to imagine them deciding

"Hey, let's trade Marshawn and we'll only offer him to Seattle - heck, we don't want to maximize the compensation that we might get" There is

no tie that I know of to Seattle's front office - what possible motivation could the Bills' front office have had for not shopping him to all the

teams?

Sounds kinda suspicious to me, but I know lots of folks here want to believe stuff like this. Of course, I can't prove that this wasn't the case,

Sums up my thoughts on the subject perfectly.

in 16 games this year Lynch rushed for 737 yards and 6 TDs on 202 carries for an average of 3.6 YPC. Wow man I'm disappointed we gave all that production up for only a 4th round pick. Cmon guys, outside of that highlight reel run he was 28th in yards and tied for 17th in TDs. Nothing too impressive for a former 1st round pick.

Marshawn was and is a power back. Spiller is, as Gailey described hime...a "waterbug". With our weak offensive line a power back would be a great complement. I had hoped we would have kept all three backs through the season and would have gotten some help on the offensive line. A power back getting first downs and hurting the defense would have been very valuable. If the argument was "yeah he's good, but we can't handle him" then we need better handlers...If the argument is "yeah he's good but our offensive line isn't"...the answer is to get a better offensive line. If the argument is "he's not good" ...Look at that run again.

teams?

But isn't it plausible that Seattle called them up with an offer, they decided it was good enough, and took it without making 20 additional calls to see if they could get a better offer? Remember, this is the team that handed in all of their draft picks in near record time. Most teams, even ones who are getting the guy they want, will at least take a couple minutes to see if anyone comes in with a Godfather offer. This is also the team whose GM stated publicly that he would be asleep at the start of free agency. I realize that we like to think that every front office is exploring every avenue to better their team, but the Buddy Nix Bills have made it pretty clear that that's not their game.

We are all hearing about Lynch's big run over the weekend. It was a pretty impressive play. He always had that ability, but face it...The guy was a doosh of monumnetal proportions. He got off on a very bad foot in Buffalo right away and continued to act like a turd the entire time he was there. The hit and run, gun and weed incident, stealng money from locals at bars, not introducing himself to Gailey, skipping OTA's etc... It just wasnt going to work and getting rid of him was the right thing to do. He doesnt fit in with what they look to be doing. He's a bruiser, but his numbers this season were pretty pedestrain 16 games, 787 yards, 6 tds....Jackson did better in 12 games than Lynch did in 16. Hope the picks we get for him turn into something worthwhile....

You mean the 4th round pick that now bas become a late 4th rounder? Considering he's a good player albeit immature, that's not good value especially for a former #1. Seattle got over...big time.

We can all point fingers at the Bills over this as much as we want, but the bottom-line is that Lynch beat the Saints Saturday and now the Saints are in the same boat as the Bills. If they really, truly wanted Lynch, they'd have him right now. Instead, they want to leak some BS because they are mad they didn't get Lynch. I was pulling for New Orleans Saturday but now I am glad they were embarrassed.

Edited by scribo

So basically what we do know is that Glazer came out with a report after the trade saying a team or teams were willing to offer more for Lynch than the Seahawks gave up. Now after Lynch and the Seahawks embarrassed the Saints, the Saints apparently gave Glazer the greenlight to tell everyone that they were the woman scorned, and that they "would have" but didn't actually offer a 3rd. <_<

"Sure we got embarrassed by a team that many felt shouldn't have made the playoffs, much less hosted a game. But look at the Bills! They could have gotten a 3rd rounder from us...if they had called back!"

For those of you who feel a team shouldn't comment on erroneous media reports...

here's one time a team did respond.

Different situation; the KC rumor was about an internal rift which could be damaging to the team if not addressed. The Lynch trade is water long under the brige.

And as an aside, the Chief didn't lose because of play calling!

in 16 games this year Lynch rushed for 737 yards and 6 TDs on 202 carries for an average of 3.6 YPC. Wow man I'm disappointed we gave all that production up for only a 4th round pick. Cmon guys, outside of that highlight reel run he was 28th in yards and tied for 17th in TDs. Nothing too impressive for a former 1st round pick.

basically we lost a 1st and marshawn(his stats you mentioned) for spiller who has 283 yards and 0 tds in 14 games and easley(who may have upside still) who has 0 cathes for 0 yards and 0 td.

the trade of lynch was more for his happiness, the rebirth of the team, and to appease the fans. he would have been an asset to the team had we kept him. he has a lot more carries in him, and no matter what people say freddy isnt getting any younger, another good season or 2 tops. spiller may be a threat (although i never get that excited feeling that other posters get when they see him with the ball) he clearly isnt an every down back.

so to recap, we gave all that up and in 2 years have to spend another pick on an rb to replace our aging starter because the 1st we used doesnt make up for the loss still. i trust this new front office, hopefully i am proved wrong, but to say the trade was anything better than washing our hands clean of lynch is insane

My opinion has been the same since last year ended.

We will just need to find another beast. That boy has some serious leg strength and can hit and drive. There are parts of me that miss him for that.

Moving on Let freddy finesse let cj waterbug,

but give me another Marshawn with a nicer smile.

With Wood coming on and some real hope for Bell and Levitre,

Give us another grinder to break em down. And once in a while break one. way to go Lynch!

My opinion has been the same since last year ended.

We will just need to find another beast. That boy has some serious leg strength and can hit and drive. There are parts of me that miss him for that.

Moving on Let freddy finesse let cj waterbug,

but give me another Marshawn with a nicer smile.

With Wood coming on and some real hope for Bell and Levitre,

Give us another grinder to break em down. And once in a while break one. way to go Lynch!

totally agree