RIP Cookie

JoeF

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Cookie, not old enough to have seen you play but know that you are a Bills legend. I've had a few people ask if that is Cookie in my avatar (it's Jim Braxton, the non murdering RB of the 70s) but maybe I'll have to change it over to honor him! We sure could use a few hard nosed players like Cookie on our team now.

Seattle to win it all...just because. :devil:

PTR

What did I miss? :huh:

this was a bummer to see today. im wayyyy to young to have seen him play for buffalo (22 yrs old), but on the double disc dvd "history of the bills" there was a story about him running over the safety for New England, and knocking him unconcious. than walking back to the sideline all the NE players were trying to revive their man. i guess when he walked back he said "who the F*** is next?!?!" it was by far my favorite story on the dvd, tim russert had the biggest smile ever telling part of that story.

Wish I could have seen him play. For the old timers, who would have compared to him in todays game?

Goodspeed.

There is no one in today's game who compares. He excelled at every sport he tried, and excelled at every position on the football field. The closest persons to him would be Jim Thorpe and Jim Brown.

Had he played a continuous ten years with one team, without the off-the-field distractions, I truly believe he would have gone down as the greatest back in history.

A couple of interesting things about Cookie: Paul Brown signed him out of high schoolthen hid him in Canada where he learned to play -- and excel at --rugby. And he was one of the AFL players who forced the league to move its pro bowl game from New Orleans because of the racial climate there. That was a huge event at the time, first because pro players never, ever went up against owners at that time. And secondly, because black players were supposed to be just grateful they were even allowed to play the pro game at all. Jack Kemp and other white players joined in the "rebellion." Meanwhile, over in the NFL, the status quo ante prevailed. The Redskins, for example, didn't even have a black player until 1968. Guys like Cookie made the AFL cool, great, and by the time of the merger, the better league.

I'd like to imagine that when he died, a chorus went up in The Afterworld of "Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie."

youngmack, I'd like to make a correction about the Redskins. You're right about the Skins being the last NFL team to have a black player. But it was Bobby Mitchell, in a trade w/ Cleveland, that came to the Skins in 1962. I followed the Bills and Cleveland at the time. The Redskins were, at the time the only NFL team in the south, and they were still holding onto those old southern attitudes. But yes, we'll miss Cookie, RIP.

I didn't really start following football until the late 1960s. But I have read about the history of the Buffalo Bills. Everything I have read said that Cookie was as good as Jim Brown. But Cookie rocked the boat so it affected his career and Jim Brown didn't until his football career was over. Then he became an advocate for equality. Cookie stood up for his convictions about segregation and the treatment of blacks in the early 60s. Cookie should be on the "Wall" but wouldn't come to Buffalo unless paid. Do I blame him? Maybe. But at the time he played players made dirt and most had jobs off season. Look at the pay scale today. And look how many get in trouble and somehow get back in the league after being suspended and making even more money (Ricky Williams, Michael Vick, etc.).

Wish RW would get over past differences & put Cookie (and Lou Saban) up on The Wall.

RIP :(

Wish he would have. You win Ralph. Congratulations.

You can't stop him without a solid shot. The longer the game goes, the more effective Cookie becomes." Holub, the 225-pound Kansas City linebacker, says: "If you hit him low, he works on you with his knees. If you hit him high, you get a stiff-arm. You have to hit him around the middle and clamp your arms around him or he'll tear your arms off. If he gets through a hole at the line of scrimmage, it's hell on the linebackers."

Read more: http://sportsillustr...m#ixzz1AeaSBKn2

There is nobody who was that feared. Beast Mode is a child.

EJ Holub was a great player so he would know. Holub made All-AFL 5 times. He played both center and linebacker.

BTW, I hear the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame is an unofficial AFL Hall of Fame…a must see destination for those who care about the history of the AFL and all its members. The displays and exhibits are supposed to be excellent.

Too bad Ralph didn't think of doing something like that. The Hunt family puts Ralph to shame as far as setting a standard of excellence for a small market team. The Hunt family has also gone very far in honoring their own history…as well as the history of their contemporaries…the Buffalo BIlls, the Houston Oilers, the San Diego Chargers, the Denver Broncos, the Boston Patriots, the Oakland Raiders, and the New York Titans (Jets).

Unlike Ralph, the Hunt family understands that by honoring your contemporaries and your associates, that you honor yourself.

RIP Cookie, not old enough to have seen you play but know that you are a Bills legend. I've had a few people ask if that is Cookie in my avatar (it's Jim Braxton, the non murdering RB of the 70s) but maybe I'll have to change it over to honor him! We sure could use a few hard nosed players like Cookie on our team now.

Good for you, Machinegun. Jim Braxton was also a great player who football history will never appreciate fully. Jim died at Roswell Park in the mid-80s of cancer.

Such a very sad and emotional day for Buffalo Bills fans. RIP Cookie.

R.I.P. Cookie. Sad story of a guy who just never got over a feeling the world had screwed him over.

I remember reading that back in the day John Madden considered Cookie one of the top two RB's in both the AFL/NFL combined in the decade of the 60's.

this was a bummer to see today. im wayyyy to young to have seen him play for buffalo (22 yrs old), but on the double disc dvd "history of the bills" there was a story about him running over the safety for New England, and knocking him unconcious. than walking back to the sideline all the NE players were trying to revive their man. i guess when he walked back he said "who the F*** is next?!?!" it was by far my favorite story on the dvd, tim russert had the biggest smile ever telling part of that story.

Check out TG's column on that story, via Paul Maguire.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/24656/cookie-gilchrist-rumbled-right-until-the-end

Cookie, a zany individualist before that was more acceptable. Extraordinary talent, running, catching, blocking and even played LB while in the CFL, playing on both offense and defense. Should be on the Wall......

Edited by Spiderweb