Alex Smith Anyone

Nasty

I was watching the NFL Network last night and they said something about Alex Smith. He will be a FA at the end of the year and thought he might be a good back-up for Fitz. Cheap, First pick in the draft, has a cannon for an arm, mobile, just never got coached up. He was a rookie or second year guy when Norv turner was still there and was starting to play pretty good then Norv left and he never came to be. Was just wondering if Nix would think about it and let Chan coach him up to be the back-up. I think he would be more suitable then Brohm.

I was watching the NFL Network last night and they said something about Alex Smith. He will be a FA at the end of the year and thought he might be a good back-up for Fitz. Cheap, First pick in the draft, has a cannon for an arm, mobile, just never got coached up. He was a rookie or second year guy when Norv turner was still there and was starting to play pretty good then Norv left and he never came to be. Was just wondering if Nix would think about it and let Chan coach him up to be the back-up. I think he would be more suitable then Brohm.

If he needs to be "coached up" to be the backup, then, no.

No

You may be right.

I have faith in Chan - mostly when it comes to QB's. If he liked Smith when he came out, then it might be worth a chance.

I have always felt there are more great QB's that never made it because they were mishandled - another reason to like Chan - he handles them correctly!

I always liked Kyle Orton in college - but he was mishandled for years in Chi-town. Then he goes to Denver and lights it up early. However since then I am not sure what happened. Was it more mishandling (lack of coaching)? Or is he not that good? I don't know . . . but a guy like Chad would - so I put my QB-faith in him to do right by us.

How do we know he'd be better than Brohm? Brohm gets dismissed here so often. I remember back in the offseason when Trent was our only hope, or we were screwed with QB's, since we didn't draft anyone. People were curious to see if Brohm could turn a corner, and gave him much more of a chance than Fitzpatrick. During the pre-season, I thought Brohm looked like the best QB in game situations. So I was surprised when it was Fitzpatrick who took over instead of Brohm. Looking back, I can see where the staff might have wanted a vet in there to try to secure some stability and to at least get us a few wins. Anyway, now that Fitz has played decent everyone has changed their tune about him - yet, no one is considering that Brohm might also benefit from Gailey, and that he might look even better if given the opportunity.

Lets not give up on Brohm before he's given a chance.

Doesn't he have a rather weak arm? Not that it matters, but I'm just wondering if it was you or the NFL Network that said this.

I'd probably rather see a guy like Alex Smith back up Fitz than Brohm. Nothing against Brohm, he just has not led the team to many (any?) TD's when i've seen him play in preseason. At least Smith has played actual NFL games and has had some success at times.

We already have Brohm. Basically the same guy... except Smith went overall in the draft in 2005. I see no reason to pick up someone's trash. He's the second coming of Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Gina Toretta... Should I go on??

As a backup to Fitz with no QB competition etc., I think he'd be a good pickup. I've seen several of his games and he looked quite good in some of them them. Like the other poster said, in pre season Brohm looked to be a great inside the 20s QB. When he had his chances for TDs, the passes were off. So yeah, I'd consider it. Troy Smith is (or will be Monday) also a FA.

No thanks. Would rather stay with Fitz and/or bring in a rookie QB to start fresh on developing.

No, I don't want other teams trash!!

As a backup to Fitz with no QB competition etc., I think he'd be a good pickup. I've seen several of his games and he looked quite good in some of them them. Like the other poster said, in pre season Brohm looked to be a great inside the 20s QB. When he had his chances for TDs, the passes were off. So yeah, I'd consider it. Troy Smith is (or will be Monday) also a FA.

I have a feeling if he was a 7th round pick this thread would have died right away. Sure bring him in and guys like him so we can have another ten years no playoffs!! he's a complete bust please stop this crap.

I am not sure how anyone can even have an educated guess on this subject. Brohm has never really seen the field. Either Brohm will be the back next year because the coaching staff feels he has a chance to be a starter or he won`t. If they cut him they will have to draft someone to replace him, likely a 3rd round or better player. If that doesnt happen, they will have to pick up someone else`s `trash` for their back up or Brown will have unseated Brohm as the number 2. Having a back up with NFL starting experience does have its advantages but essentially the league is so short of talent at QB that very few teams have diamonds as their backups. Kolb is the only exception to idea that I can think of. There maybe others but I can`t think of any. Is there a backup in the NFL right now that would come in and beat out Fitz

Edited by agardin