I want to see another quarterback competition next year

PS 56

Allegedly there was a quarterback competition between Edwards, Fitz and Brohm last year. We all know Edwards got the early nod. I love Fitz, but after today I really want to see a competition between him and Brohm in camp next year. They should both have a chance to play with the first stringers. If we select a quarterback in the draft he will not be playing next year anyway so keep him out of it for now.

Fitz won't win many competitions based on accuracy or arm strength. But he's likely a far better QB than Brohm at this stage of the game. I'm not opposed to Brohm sticking around or whatever but right now this is Fitz's team.

Do you think Brohm would do something special with Stevie, Naaman and Donald? Or how about Chad Rinehart and the Wrottos blocking for him?

Edited by Steve_JOHNSONS_hair

I am not sure I would trust our coaching staff's judgement on another QB competition. They already tried that, had Edwards the clear cut winner and by a mile! Look where that got us. I'd rather they just keep on going with what they have, clearly Fitz is not the biggest problem on our the team. Instead of wasting time and drama on the battle work on finding the other answers.

Allegedly there was a quarterback competition between Edwards, Fitz and Brohm last year. We all know Edwards got the early nod. I love Fitz, but after today I really want to see a competition between him and Brohm in camp next year. They should both have a chance to play with the first stringers. If we select a quarterback in the draft he will not be playing next year anyway so keep him out of it for now.

I don't.

I think it hurt us, big time, not to give our starting QB all the reps with the starting WR and line.

It took until the bye week to "catch up" and not 100% there yet with Evans.

Draft a stud RT and sign some OL depth, draft and acquire a TE, see what Fitz can do in a season where he's "the man" from the gate and gets the lion's share of the reps with the #1s.

I say we draft all QBs next draft then have them draw straws to see who starts. 2 incomplete passes gets you benched and the next guy is in. That'll work.

PTR

At least these golden boy obsessed fans finally have something to B word about today. Unlike the other 10 games when he's been solid.

I have a feeling that Fitzpatrick can fix the fumbling and dumb dumb dumb stupid throw problem that we saw yesterday. He put up a real stinker, but he's still the man for 2011.

At least these golden boy obsessed fans finally have something to B word about today. Unlike the other 10 games when he's been solid.

I have a feeling that Fitzpatrick can fix the fumbling and dumb dumb dumb stupid throw problem that we saw yesterday. He put up a real stinker, but he's still the man for 2011.

Agreed. Fitz is no superstar, but he is a decent to very good QB, and definitely good enough to start for us all next season. Even more reason, IMO, to draft a QB early this year. With the plan to have the rookie sit all next season, and learn the Pro game and Chan's offense.

The fumbles and picks hurt him, and the team, but at least he's trying to get something done out there. He had 2 TD throws on the opening drive. The first one, Johnson didnt drag his toe, and the second one, Johnson jumped too soon. Woulda been nice to capitalize on that opening drive, but I dont think it would have done much to change the outcome of the game, since Fitz cant play defense.

JMO, but the Bills need to see what Brian Brohm can do. I really really like Fitz, but have thought all season that he makes mistakes (fumbles, INTs, bad releases, tipped balls, etc.) at the most inopportune moments - usually with the game on the line, and usually ending a drive and costing the Bills the game. (Yesterday's performance was an anomaly - he sucked the entire game.)

Why would he have to sit next year? Did Bradford? Sanchez or Stafford? Ryan or Flacco?

When you draft a QB high in the first, you play him.

Why would he have to sit next year? Did Bradford? Sanchez or Stafford? Ryan or Flacco?

When you draft a QB high in the first, you play him.

If you play him right away, there is a much greater risk for him to bust. We have the "luxury" of a serviceable QB, keep him on the field while the kid learns.

Even if the team is open to him playing next year, at least the pressure isnt there at the beginning when he is just trying to get adjusted to the Pro game.

The good news is, no matter which way you prefer, the Bills have the ability to go either way.

I am not sure I would trust our coaching staff's judgement on another QB competition. They already tried that, had Edwards the clear cut winner and by a mile! Look where that got us. I'd rather they just keep on going with what they have, clearly Fitz is not the biggest problem on our the team. Instead of wasting time and drama on the battle work on finding the other answers.

Edwards played better leading up to the season. They're coaches not fortune tellers. Damn... Be happy they pulled the plug on him when they realized he didn't have it when the live bullets started flying. Jauron would have kept him in there. Sometimes things appear one way then turn out to be something else. But you don't know until you know.

Edited by purple haze

Most likely scenerio is Thigpen comes in as free agent to back up Fitz and Buddy and chan draft 4-7 round guy they see some potential in. I will say this , I could see a slight chance that chan falls is love with Newton's skill set but I think that is a small chance of happening. I would have to think both Buddy and Chan have seen enough of the run defense to make that number one priortiy .

Edwards played better leading up to the season. They're coaches not fortune tellers. Damn... Be happy they pulled the plug on him when they realized he didn't have it when the live bullets started flying. Jauron would have kept him in there. Sometimes things appear one way then turn out to be something else. But you don't know until you know.

Agreed!

If there is one thing Chan knows, it's QBs. And Edwards looked good through camp and preseason before it came time to actually perform and then he turtled. Chan saw it happen twice and that is all he needed to see.

Thank God none of you clowns coach anything. Fitz played terrible yesterday, yes. But he's had one of the better seasons for a Bills QB over the past decade. To have him on such a short leash at this point would be very damning to the team's progress, cohesion, and psychology. He's their leader and he showed real remorse for his performance yesterday. Give him an entire offseason as the anointed starter and give him the keys. Anything else would be two steps back.

Trentative never did anything to deserve the crown outright, hence Gaileys comments all through training camp last year. I believe that situation led some Bills fans to think that was how QBs are traditionally dealt with. I fully expect Gailey to change his tune this upcoming offseason.

Fitz is the guy, like it or not.

Agreed!

If there is one thing Chan knows, it's QBs. And Edwards looked good through camp and preseason before it came time to actually perform and then he turtled. Chan saw it happen twice and that is all he needed to see.

with no one hitting him Edwards probably looks amazing in practice. No way Chan could have known what a mess he was until he saw it for himself. Fitz is solid enough to get youto the playoffs ,

JMO, but the Bills need to see what Brian Brohm can do. I really really like Fitz, but have thought all season that he makes mistakes (fumbles, INTs, bad releases, tipped balls, etc.) at the most inopportune moments - usually with the game on the line, and usually ending a drive and costing the Bills the game. (Yesterday's performance was an anomaly - he sucked the entire game.)

I agree let's at least see what he has to offer before relegating him to the ranks of the draft bust , not so much for us but just for the record , the guy was money in college and is worth at least a chance !!!

I doubt that will even happen. BB is making to much money for a backup. I'll be surprised if he's even with Buffalo next year. Likely will be realeased, maybe Buffalo resigns him at a lower number, but I'm sure if he can find a better deal he'd take it.

The Bills need to improve at the QB position next year. That means either Fitz improves with another year of coaching or another QB steps in. Fitz deserves a chance to work on his game in the offseason and work with the same offense for a second season. The Bills will definitely bring a second QB in, but I hope that Fitz picks up his game and stays the #1. No free agents, please.