49ers fire Mike Singletary

hoopschad1

But... but.. Mike Singletary is a genius, a motivator, a man's man... the ideal coach to bring the Niners back...!

At least that is what the entire sports media (and many on TSW) were saying as recently as this past summer. <_<

Those same people were saying that Bill Parcells had built the Dolphins to be great for years to come... <_<

Ah, Schadenfreude, the balm that soothes a troubled soul. :beer:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before he was elevated to Head Coach in San Francisco, he had never been a defensive coordinator. The highest position he ever had previously was as a linebackers coach.

So, no, IMO.

While I disagree with your idea, I'd like to welcome you to the board.

Yeah, but would you take him over George Edwards? I would.

But... but.. Mike Singletary is a genius, a motivator, a man's man... the ideal coach to bring the Niners back...!

At least that is what the entire sports media (and many on TSW) were saying as recently as this past summer. <_<

Even when he got the HD gig in San Fran, the best quality that the analysts/experts could come up with was that he is a "leader of men". In other words, he has minimal coaching experience and they had nothing else to go on other than his name (and that he was the "QB" of the 46 defense in Chicago). Personally, I'd think that a good motivator who has NFL playing experience would have done better than he did. Perhaps he didn't motivate enough.

As for the Bills' D, they were clearly outclassed by New England yesterday. The two rough outings this team has had lately (NE & Minn) were due to the lack of run-stopping. With the lack of talent on this defense, they needed to scheme better to minimize the damage from New England's running game...they didn't. It's these two games that will probably doom George Edwards.

Let him coach our linebackers and work with Maybin...Just a thought.

Work with Maybin? That ship has sailed. The only reason he's on a 4-11 roster was his draft status. If he were a free agent he'd been cut last year.

Long time lurker first time poster on TBD ...couldn't help but think post game that singeltary would be a great DC next year...we obviously need an upgrade there and one would think he would be available

Welcome to the world of posting!

I agree with others that said we need to replace the DC, but would rather have Fox or Lewis.

You mean the guy who's half time adjustments include pulling his pants down? Vince Lombardi was a great motivator, but I'll bet not even he thought of that!

I don't see a new DC this off season. Edwards will get one more year to get things turned around. If there isn't a marked improvement next season, he will surely be gone.

Those same people were saying that Bill Parcells had built the Dolphins to be great for years to come... <_<

You can even add Parcell's rather forgettable effort in Dallas. It seems to me, with the exception of this year, Wade did a better job in the Big D than did the Tuna.

You mean the guy who's half time adjustments include pulling his pants down? Vince Lombardi was a great motivator, but I'll bet not even he thought of that!

I don't see a new DC this off season. Edwards will get one more year to get things turned around. If there isn't a marked improvement next season, he will surely be gone.

That sounds about right. I won't object to changing if they can get one of the premier guys available, but I don't expect it to happen.

Edwards isn't going anywhere, Bills fans. Get used to that notion, or brace for letdown. All this clamoring for Edwards' head the day after a loss to the Pats* is just silly. They've rolled over EVERY defense theyve faced over the last seven games including the mighty Jets and Packers. Plus, I think we're all in agreement that defensive personnel is priority #1 during FA/draft, so whats the point in **** canning the DC when we all recognize the dearth of talent he's dealing with?

LOL, Let's coach him up. sorry too funny. Maybin's a lost cause. Move along.... nothing to see here...

Maybin is looking like the worst draft pick ever ... number 9 in the draft hardly ever sees the field how could they have been that wrong about the guy.... :wallbash:

"Just look at his eyes". Remember that one?

You can even add Parcell's rather forgettable effort in Dallas. It seems to me, with the exception of this year, Wade did a better job in the Big D than did the Tuna.

Parcells took the Cowboys from 5-11 to 10-6 with Quincy Carter at QB in his first year. Wade took a 9-7 team with largely the same roster as the year before and went 13-3. Parcells Cowboys changed QBs in their 2nd year and took a 4 game step back. Phillips had much the same cast and took a 5 game step back in year two. In year 3, Parcells again changed QBs and the team improved by 3 wins. Phillips 3rd season was again with Romo, Whitten, and Barber though TO get the boot and there were some changes to the defense, and a 2 win improvement. Parcells 4th season saw Romo finally get his chance and in Phillips 4th year, there was again continuity with Romo, Whitten, etc., but there was an OL shake-up, the defense was tinkered with and team completely collapsed and he was fired mid-season.

Parcells took the Cowboys from 5-11 to 10-6 with Quincy Carter at QB in his first year. Wade took a 9-7 team with largely the same roster as the year before and went 13-3.

Like I said.

I'd take John Fox or Marvin Lewis as DC in a heartbeat. I think both will be looking for work in a week.

That being said, they will probably do the broadcasting thing and wait for another head coaching job to percolate in a few years. I don't see either of those guys as a Dom Capers type of personality that went in and out of head coaching and defensive coordinator gigs year to year.