49ers fire Mike Singletary

hoopschad1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think Parcells stacks up as compared to Marv Levy?

When he had Bill the Cheater as his DC, he did a better job than Levy as HC. Without Belicheat*, Parcells was an above average HC, but not as good as Levy.

As a GM/personnel guy, you'd have to rate the Tuna higher than Marv. Marv only served, in a rather limited capacity (compared to most old school GMs) for two years. Parcells worked reasonably successfully with several teams over many years.

Mostly I give Parcells for being very smart about where he went to work. With the possible exception of the Miami job, he always went to a team that was seriously under-performing. The Pats*, Jets and Cowboys were all better than their record before BP would indicate. They also have owners who were totally committed to doing whatever it took to win.

The Miami job was a bit different I think, and I was never sure it would work completely. BP wasn't GM or HC. What the hell was he, then? As Executive Vice President of Football Operations he got to hire the GM and the HC. What does he do then? Let them do their jobs or usurp their authority? Does he let the HC buy the groceries, as he demanded? Does he let the GM make decisions independently? I give him credit for helping to right that ship, but he was unable to take them much further.

I'm not a Parcells basher but I do object to those who think his crap doesn't stink. He was unable to get the job done in Dallas and Miami before he bailed. And he had very committed, big spending, owners in those jobs. If he was the football genius many proclaim him to be, where are the SB rings since he parted with Belicheat*?

When he had Bill the Cheater as his DC, he did a better job than Levy as HC. Without Belicheat*, Parcells was an above average HC, but not as good as Levy.

As a GM/personnel guy, you'd have to rate the Tuna higher than Marv. Marv only served, in a rather limited capacity (compared to most old school GMs) for two years. Parcells worked reasonably successfully with several teams over many years.

Mostly I give Parcells for being very smart about where he went to work. With the possible exception of the Miami job, he always went to a team that was seriously under-performing. The Pats*, Jets and Cowboys were all better than their record before BP would indicate. They also have owners who were totally committed to doing whatever it took to win.

The Miami job was a bit different I think, and I was never sure it would work completely. BP wasn't GM or HC. What the hell was he, then? As Executive Vice President of Football Operations he got to hire the GM and the HC. What does he do then? Let them do their jobs or usurp their authority? Does he let the HC buy the groceries, as he demanded? Does he let the GM make decisions independently? I give him credit for helping to right that ship, but he was unable to take them much further.

I'm not a Parcells basher but I do object to those who think his crap doesn't stink. He was unable to get the job done in Dallas and Miami before he bailed. And he had very committed, big spending, owners in those jobs. If he was the football genius many proclaim him to be, where are the SB rings since he parted with Belicheat*?

Thanks for a great response Brian! :thumbsup:

I do disagree in that I think that Parcells was a far better coach than Levy. Mostly, because of Levy's inept philosophy of stressing defensive backs, and not caring enough about the lines. We lost a superbowl to Parcells because he knew enough to pound the ball against us, and our team was much more talented imo.

Imo, Marv was great at soothing big egos, but was not a football man. Parcells was less of a football man than say Joe Gibbs; he was more of a Lombardi type imo. He tormented Phil Simms, but he got a sb win out of him. And, he beat us with Hostetler. Parcells was never reduced to being a cursing, screaming, spitting, inept manager as was Levy. He alays had full control of his team. When the Bills talent waned (and much of it was directly due to Marv's input imo), Levy was ineffective. He would spend games cursing on the sidelines with Mauch. It was ugly. He had no clue.

When he came back as GM, he proved just how little he knew about building and running football teams. The 06 draft is still crippling this franchise, let alone his hiring of buddy Jauron, who shared a similar stupid philosophy.

Marv seemed like a nice man, but imo a lot of other, better coaches would have won at least one superbowl with a team with this kind of talent.

Jmo.

Like I said.

The records aren't really all that different overall -- 5 wins vs. 4 wins in the 1st year, etc. If you think turning a playoff team into a playoff winning team is harder than turning a bad team into a playoff team, that's OK by me.

Oh, and as far as discounting Parcells personally over the years, the fact is that the approach he helped put together in New York under Ray Perkins was successful enough that it has spread throughout the league. New Orleans, Miami, New England, Kansas City, the Giants, St. Louis, Atlanta, etc. As in other things, a competitive advantage that becomes ubiquitous is no longer a competitive advantage.

If you were going to replace the DC (I doubt the Bills will) I would suggest you get an experienced and successful DC with a track record of turning around defenses wherever he goes. Not a guy with limited coaching experience who failed at his first high-level coaching job.

Perry F might be availiable

Thanks for a great response Brian! :thumbsup:

I do disagree in that I think that Parcells was a far better coach than Levy. Mostly, because of Levy's inept philosophy of stressing defensive backs, and not caring enough about the lines. We lost a superbowl to Parcells because he knew enough to pound the ball against us, and our team was much more talented imo.

You do remember Bill Belicheat* was with Tuna when they beat the Bills in the SB, right? I think my point was Levy was better than Tuna when BB wasn't a part of his staff. But, even going back to when they were together, Levy beat the BP's Giants when they met in 1987 and 1989 (the year they met in the SB). While I think the game was played on the Giant's terms, I don't blame Marv for a series of missed tackles on a third and long, some big dropped passes and a missed FG. And of course, Marv went to the SB the next three years. Yes, he stunk as a HC.

From eyeballing the date, it looks like Levy (HC) and Parcells/Belicheat* (HC/DC) went head-to-head 17 times. Levy's team won 9 times. I don't think Parcells ever went head-to-head against Levy after BB left the stable. I might be off by a game or two, I just did it in my head as I looked at the records. That same method reveals Levy teams bested Don Shula's (who I have seen called the best NFL coach of all time) 17 times and lost to him 6 times.

I won't bother to go into his stint at GM because your hyperbolic rants on this topic tend to obfuscate any bit of reasonable discussion.

Singletary was a bad head coach. But he was just perhaps just a bit over his head. As many have pointed out the guy was never a Defensive Coordinator before being a HC. Give the guy the task of developing a defensive front 7 and a scheme and I think he can be a productive DC.

I wouldn't mind seeing him develop our team's D as I think the guy can have success just handling the defensive side of the ball.

Singletary was a bad head coach. But he was just perhaps just a bit over his head. As many have pointed out the guy was never a Defensive Coordinator before being a HC. Give the guy the task of developing a defensive front 7 and a scheme and I think he can be a productive DC.

I wouldn't mind seeing him develop our team's D as I think the guy can have success just handling the defensive side of the ball.

Way way way over his head.

I have no doubt some team will pick him up as a DC and he may very well be good at it.

I would not be disappointed to hear that the Bills gave him a shot in that capacity.

Perry F might be availiable

P Fewell sucks. You don't think that he had a say in drafting our lame, undersized, Tampa-2 BS. Interesting how when Perry's old roster on DD is asked to play a more physical and complicated system they got crushed all year. I like watching the Giants blitz with their dbs playing 10 yards off and then, right on cue, 1st down for the offense. No thanks.