Hangover Cure

Chef Jim

Ok, I can't believe I'm going to post this but a got a very good cocktail book for Christmas and of course there's the obligatory hangover cure chapter. And here we go:

"The Polish-who know a thing or two about spirits-swear by pickle juice."

So I will from now on be eating Retatta the morning after.

C'mon there's got to be 50 other recipes in that book that are much more effective hangover cures.

My personal favorite is a ginormous 54oz Seagram's and Vanilla Coke.

Merry Christmas you crotchety old fart :beer:

There is really only one hangover cure for the ultra serious hangover when even starting to drink again doesn't work.

After a night of heroic drinking in Boston I had the worst hangover I ever experienced, and I drink a LOT, and rarely get them. This was brutal. I tried water, bloody marys, beer, eating, aspirin, hot and cold showers, nothing worked. After three bars trying to rid myself of the hangover to no avail I saw an authentic Irish pub and convinced my friends to try the fourth. I thought I was gonna die. I sat at the bar -- this now about 1 pm -- and the Irish bartender asked me what I wanted. I said I didn't know, and told him my tale of woe. He says, "I know what you want" and went in the back room. He came back a couple minutes later, handed me a drink. I took one large sip and felt much better. Within about three minutes after finishing the drink I felt awesome. It was instant. And then proceeded to drink for the next 12 hours straight.

Apparently, it doesn't work unless the directions are followed precisely, and I can atest to that fact, as I have tried to have others make it but they didn't do it right. I have tried to do it myself, but it only worked when all the ingredients were there and it was made precisely, but as he explained it, the elixer of the Gods, called a "Hot Whiskey" is as follows:

1] You need a glass coffee mug, like the kind Irish Coffees are usually served in.

2] You need to seriously preheat the glass cup, like using the scalding water from an espresso machine. For some reason this is essential.

3] You put two shots of Irish Whiskey into the glass, we used Jameson.

4] Add a large teaspoon of brown sugar (white is not brown)

5] A lemon squeeze (squeezing the juice not a twist)

6] Three cloves

7] and add scalding hot water to the mix to the top.

8] Stir and drink.

Tastes great. Hangover instantly gone -- not only removed but you can't wait to have another Hot Whiskey and then start drinking whatever you like.

It's without question, the single best drink I have ever had, because I felt so fabulous after one big gulp, and tremendous after the one drink. ;)

Ok, I can't believe I'm going to post this but a got a very good cocktail book for Christmas and of course there's the obligatory hangover cure chapter. And here we go:

"The Polish-who know a thing or two about spirits-swear by pickle juice."

So I will from now on be eating Retatta the morning after.

So that's why they have pickled eggs at bars?

So one of my friends that went with me to the game yesterday is complaining about still having a hangover this morning and I thought of another thought to add to this thread. I tried the "hair of the dog" trick a few times in college and it did cure my hangover. However the next morning the hangover would be 10x worse than the original one.

So one of my friends that went with me to the game yesterday is complaining about still having a hangover this morning and I thought of another thought to add to this thread. I tried the "hair of the dog" trick a few times in college and it did cure my hangover. However the next morning the hangover would be 10x worse than the original one.

Hair of the dog is not supposed to turn into another daylong binge. It's to get rid of the headache and nausea. So a couple/three is the cure not 10 more hours of drinking. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

Rookie.