We will find out how important Lee Evans is

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we will see just how open our young WRs can get without Lee Evans on the field. If Johnson is doubled teamed can Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt get it done? Questions will be answered.

PTR

Assuming for the hell of it that they can get it done, what do you do with respect to Lee? Do you trade him? (I'd strongly consider it if the deal was right--this team is 2-3 years away from being a real contender even if all the right moves are made.)

Assuming for the hell of it that they can get it done, what do you do with respect to Lee? Do you trade him? (I'd strongly consider it if the deal was right--this team is 2-3 years away from being a real contender even if all the right moves are made.)

What kind of value would Evans have right now? Not much IMO. Most teams would just wait for the Bills to release him.

Without Evans we'd have a WR corps without a veteran presence. That feels a little risky.

PTR

What kind of value would Evans have right now? Not much IMO. Most teams would just wait for the Bills to release him.

Without Evans we'd have a WR corps without a veteran presence. That feels a little risky.

PTR

Agreed...

I still fail to see the logic in even thinking about getting rid of Evans...I think his presence and the attention he gets is a HUGE reason Johnson and the other young guys have emerged...He has his critics, but every D-Coordinator in the NFL knows what Lee is capable of if you leave him one-on-one too often...The last thing the Bills need is to get rid of a guy who has proven he can make plays in the NFL...A bit risky indeed... B-)

Notice that Evans got hurt while blocking downfield for Stupar on his 35-yead catch-and-run. Evans does things that a veteran receiver is supposed to do. He has been a good citizen, and made some big plays (though not as many as we might hope for from a #1 receiver).

I'd like to see him kept, and see what develops with him aand Fitzpatrick.

Agreed...

I still fail to see the logic in even thinking about getting rid of Evans...I think his presence and the attention he gets is a HUGE reason Johnson and the other young guys have emerged...He has his critics, but every D-Coordinator in the NFL knows what Lee is capable of if you leave him one-on-one too often...The last thing the Bills need is to get rid of a guy who has proven he can make plays in the NFL...A bit risky indeed... B-)

It's definitely not a "getting rid of" that I'm proposing, just to be clear. I'm talking about trading him for real value, only if another team would provide real value, as part of the rebuilding process. My concern is that by the time the Bills are good enough for Lee to make a difference, he's almost too old to make a difference. He may be just starting to wane as the Bills just start to get really, really good.

And I wouldn't do a thing unless the Bills' nonames absolutely shine these last three weeks.

It's definitely not a "getting rid of" that I'm proposing, just to be clear. I'm talking about trading him for real value, only if another team would provide real value, as part of the rebuilding process. My concern is that by the time the Bills are good enough for Lee to make a difference, he's almost too old to make a difference. He may be just starting to wane as the Bills just start to get really, really good.

And I wouldn't do a thing unless the Bills' nonames absolutely shine these last three weeks.

There are ways to replace Evans if you Traded him for value, but The Bills have been doing that sort of thing for a while now and it's got them nowhere...They need to stop the Needs merry-go-round and start adding to a young, talented, but VERY thin Depth Chart...You would have to get a ridiculous bounty for Evans to make it worthwhile..And I don't see that happening...I could be wrong though... B-)

If they want to make any attempt at winning in 2011, now way do you not keep Evans. He is making only $4 million next year, is the only reciever with any experience beyond 2010, and is durable (sunday will be his first game missed since he was drafted). If Evans is gone before next season, it will be more than obvious that this team has no intention on placing winning anywhere near the importance of the allmighty dollar.

I guess we will see just how open our young WRs can get without Lee Evans on the field. If Johnson is doubled teamed can Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt get it done? Questions will be answered.

PTR

The coaches are high on David Nelson. Over the last two weeks, Nelson's production has increased and IMO will continue that way. I don't know if we'll see Nelson having similiar type numbers as Johnson did earlier in the season (with 100+ yard games and multiple TD's), but it will be nice to see what our rookies can do now that our veteran WR's (Evans & Parrish) are out for the season.

PTR

When did we get a QB who can throw a deep ball over 40 yards? I must have missed that. I think the young guys will actually do really well. Most of the time Lee is a deep threat decoy because Fitz's strengths are short to intermediate passes, making calls at the line, getting his offensive line blocking the right guys, taking some calculated risks and using his underrated running ability. Lee is most effective with a guy that can throw the deep ball. He is a constant threat that draws attention and he and Roscoe represent the only 4+ year veteran presence.

Unfortunately the only guys he has played with that have had the arm to truly take advantage of his ridiculous deep speed were Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman :(

Agreed...

+1

Edited by PDaDdy

PTR

Parrish is a vet! If the only reason to keep him around is experience you can grab any one of the below. It seems to me that fitz and Lee need to spend some QT in the off season getting that deep ball figured out so we can starting seeing his disctinct talent pay dividends. Otherwise any of the below will do (as a substitute in the context of a potential winning trade).

Early Doucet, ARI

Brian Finneran, ATL

Mark Clayton, BAL

Donte' Stallworth, BAL

Dwayne Jarrett, CAR

Rashied Davis, CHI

Chansi Stuckey, CLE

Brandon Stokley, DEN

Dennis Northcut, DET

Troy Williamson, JAC

Torry Holt, NE

Derek Hagan, NYG

Brad Smith, NYJ

David Clowney, NYJ

Johnnie Lee Higgins, OAK

Hank Baskett, PHI

Legedu Naanee, SD

Laurent Robinson, STL

Keenan Burton, STL

Maurice Stovall, TB

Santana Moss, WAS

I geuss the point everyone might agree to is that if they were going to trade him, it should have been right when they got rid of JP as those two were tailor made for each other, and since then he has been a deep threat decoy with pedestrian production.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Parrish is a vet! If the only reason to keep him around is experience you can grab any one of the below. It seems to me that fitz and Lee need to spend some QT in the off season getting that deep ball figured out so we can starting seeing his disctinct talent pay dividends. Otherwise any of the below will do (as a substitute in the context of a potential winning trade).

Early Doucet, ARI

Brian Finneran, ATL

Mark Clayton, BAL

Donte' Stallworth, BAL

Dwayne Jarrett, CAR

Rashied Davis, CHI

Chansi Stuckey, CLE

Brandon Stokley, DEN

Dennis Northcut, DET

Troy Williamson, JAC

Torry Holt, NE

Derek Hagan, NYG

Brad Smith, NYJ

David Clowney, NYJ

Johnnie Lee Higgins, OAK

Hank Baskett, PHI

Legedu Naanee, SD

Laurent Robinson, STL

Keenan Burton, STL

Maurice Stovall, TB

Santana Moss, WAS

I geuss the point everyone might agree to is that if they were going to trade him, it should have been right when they got rid of JP as those two were tailor made for each other, and since then he has been a deep threat decoy with pedestrian production.

Nobody on your list compares in the least bit to the talent that Lee Evans has. If Evans has to work on a deep ball in the off season, the Bills better get a QB that can throw a deep ball. Fitz is good for at best 40 yards with any accuracy, that isn't considered an NFL deep ball.

Nobody on your list compares in the least bit to the talent that Lee Evans has. If Evans has to work on a deep ball in the off season, the Bills better get a QB that can throw a deep ball. Fitz is good for at best 40 yards with any accuracy, that isn't considered an NFL deep ball.

What are the numnbers on Fitz' accuracy with deep balls, compared to other QB's? I keep hearing this, but haven't seen any numbers to back it up.

What are the numnbers on Fitz' accuracy with deep balls, compared to other QB's? I keep hearing this, but haven't seen any numbers to back it up.

Stats and numbers are for sissies. Just make some stuff up and state it long enough... that's all you gotta do. Now man up, and shout out counter stats if you want to refute the claim.

<_<

Um, like this year? Evans has had 3 40+ yard catches this season. (JAX, DET, CIN) FYI: Steve Johnson has had 2.

PTR

Not talking run after the catch. Talking "in the air". I'm not knocking Fitz but the "nfl" deep ball isn't his "strength". Pun intended.