We will find out how important Lee Evans is

PromoTheRobot

I agree, we have our QB, plus "The Unknown 4" are taking full advantage of the opportunities they are getting. IMO, the Bills should trade Evans and stockpile as many picks as possible (the Pats & Chiefs have had success in doing that). With Easley waiting in the wings, IMO, all the Bills need is a good pass-catching TE and another Tackle, then the Bills will be set on offense.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills will have a tough time stretching the field with their current crop of WRS, sans Evans. Maybe Easley can fill that role next year, but until he shows he is capable, I'd keep Lee around.

The Bills will have a tough time stretching the field with their current crop of WRS, sans Evans. Maybe Easley can fill that role next year, but until he shows he is capable, I'd keep Lee around.

I agree, but I'm skeptical that Evans is going to be really considered much of a threat. How Evans is playing right now is starting to remind me of how Peerless Price did in Atlanta.

I agree, but I'm skeptical that Evans is going to be really considered much of a threat. How Evans is playing right now is starting to remind me of how Peerless Price did in Atlanta.

Please. Evans was demanding double coverage right up until his injury.

Please. Evans was demanding double coverage right up until his injury.

So was Peerless in Atlanta, but couldn't do anything in it. ;)

I like Evans, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a bad spot. He's making too much money for the production he's putting up, but he only brings a home-run threat. Even Roscoe has better Yards/G this year than Lee. Guys that were double-covered consistently like Mike Williams in TB have been significantly better. I think he's good to have, but not sure he's much more than an occasional long catch guy that demands safety help.

Edited by BlueFire

So was Peerless in Atlanta, but couldn't do anything in it. ;)

I like Evans, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a bad spot. He's making too much money for the production he's putting up, but he only brings a home-run threat. Even Roscoe has better Yards/G this year than Lee. Guys that were double-covered consistently like Mike Williams in TB have been significantly better. I think he's good to have, but not sure he's much more than an occasional long catch guy that demands safety help.

I doubt Peerless was double covered much during his Atlanta stay. I could be wrong, I suppose. He never drew double coverage in Buffalo, or least not very often.

I think Evans has one hole in his game, really. He doesn't come back hard enough when the QB is in trouble.

But other than that, the fall-off in production is due primarily to Fitz not going long often, and not being particularly accurate. He had been more comfortable with the mid-range routes, and the Bills have not used Evans in that role much. You might have noticed in one game this year, Stevie left the game (I think it was Stevie) and the Bills started to use Lee over the middle and on some shorter routes. I believe he caught every pass thrown in his direction.

I would expect, as Fitz becomes more and more confident, Lee will become a target more often. But even if he doesn't, Fitz will find his other WRs harder to connect with if there is no deep threat. And right now there isn't one on the Bills.

The idea that Lee doesn't get open, doesn't run good routes, is preposterous. He is open enough, on nearly every play, if the ball is thrown to the proper spot. Remember the mooks that claimed Roscoe couldn't run routes, based on his lack of production under Jauron? That was all BS, too.

I doubt Peerless was double covered much during his Atlanta stay. I could be wrong, I suppose. He never drew double coverage in Buffalo, or least not very often.

Not with Moulds!

I think Evans has one hole in his game, really. He doesn't come back hard enough when the QB is in trouble.

But other than that, the fall-off in production is due primarily to Fitz not going long often, and not being particularly accurate. He had been more comfortable with the mid-range routes, and the Bills have not used Evans in that role much. You might have noticed in one game this year, Stevie left the game (I think it was Stevie) and the Bills started to use Lee over the middle and on some shorter routes. I believe he caught every pass thrown in his direction.

I would expect, as Fitz becomes more and more confident, Lee will become a target more often. But even if he doesn't, Fitz will find his other WRs harder to connect with if there is no deep threat. And right now there isn't one on the Bills.

The idea that Lee doesn't get open, doesn't run good routes, is preposterous. He is open enough, on nearly every play, if the ball is thrown to the proper spot. Remember the mooks that claimed Roscoe couldn't run routes, based on his lack of production under Jauron? That was all BS, too.

I could very well be wrong, it's hard to really get a good idea on TV with camera angles a lot of times. The times I've seen him, though, he hadn't done much more than draw double-teams on long routes. On a lot of the plays that Fitz went underneath on, I don't really recall ever going "lee was the right choice! wtf!"

I do completely agree that the Bills need a deep threat, no matter who that guy is. I also hope they'll get a decent TE too, even if its not a superstar, because they don't really have a threat there either.

I've seen Evans drop plenty of catchable balls this year. As far as Evans not getting enough deep passes thrown to him...I think the big problem with the Evans fan club is that they expect all the Bills to constantly throw it deep like Losman did, and that's not going to happen. Losman's game was the deep ball, but sucked at the short-to-intermediate range. For anyone to expect Fitz to throw it deep 6-8 times a game to Evans is delusional.

I've seen Evans drop plenty of catchable balls this year. As far as Evans not getting enough deep passes thrown to him...I think the big problem with the Evans fan club is that they expect all the Bills to constantly throw it deep like Losman did, and that's not going to happen. Losman's game was the deep ball, but sucked at the short-to-intermediate range. For anyone to expect Fitz to throw it deep 6-8 times a game to Evans is delusional.

Evans can, and has, run fine intermediate routes. They just typically use him long (I assume to drag coverage and open up the middle of the field). It isn't because Lee wont, or can't, run those routes.

And, yes every WR drops the occasional catchable ball, but Lee has very good hands and drops very few passes.

Also, the whole Lee Evans is costing too much money thing needs to stop. He already got most of it and has 2years left at 4M per year. Pretty cheap these days.........

It was a front-loaded contract?

Oh wow, it was, great move by the Bills:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=26

Nice point!

No, what is preposterous are the incessant excuses for Lee, he has more than one hole in his game, I've said it here a while back, he isn't a real good route runner. I don't know how you could possibly make that argument otherwise.

All we have heard from the Bills faithful is that "oh he gets double-teamed, so he draws coverage". You know what? The GOOD ones find ways to get open, no matter if they get double teamed or not. Today, the other receivers showed that they can get open without Lee drawing defenders. Look at Stevie's production today.

And in regards to Roscoe, he's an ok route runner, with tremendous quickness, lets not get carried away.

Edited by Magox

No, what is preposterous are the incessant excuses for Lee, he has more than one hole in his game, I've said it here a while back, he isn't a real good route runner. I don't know how you could possibly make that argument otherwise.

All we have heard from the Bills faithful is that "oh he gets double-teamed, so he draws coverage". You know what? The GOOD ones find ways to get open, no matter if they get double teamed or not.

Lee is regularly open. Unless the QB throws the ball to him...

You guys are absolutely nuts. I'm thrilled with how the young kids played today, and they got good production. But I have spent the last 10 weeks repeatedly saying how does Steve Johnson get so wide open all the time. Today? He was hardly ever open let alone wide open. He made plays with his hands. Fitzpatrick's TD to Nelson was AWESOME. Guess what? Nelson was triple covered. It was almost stupid it throw that pass (but how glad I am he did). 9 times out of 10 that pass is intercepted.

How many of Fitz's completions today were great passes into double coverage where it was perfectly placed over one defender and just before the other defender with the WR leaping and making an excellent catch? Several. The Bills WR's were all blanketed today. We threw one pass downfield where Fitz called an audible and Jones looked like he was running with cement shoes on. Evans might have scored on that pass. Hats off to ALL of the young guys and The Amish Rifle for the game they played and the plays they made. But our guys were not open hardly at all today.

Lee is regularly open. Unless the QB throws the ball to him...

I agree with you Mr. The Dean Iam not ready to throw away a good player like Evans. Right now the Bills need all the best players they can get after all they have only won 4 so far. Don't get me wrong I like this group of receivers and are impressed with them but I still think they need a veteran presents.

Alright, I change my mind. With only a 4 mil contract next year (including roster bonus), I think it's pretty clear that you keep him. Even if he does put up the production he got this year, and is mostly just a way to take coverage away from other receivers, it's completely worth it at that price.

You guys are absolutely nuts. I'm thrilled with how the young kids played today, and they got good production. But I have spent the last 10 weeks repeatedly saying how does Steve Johnson get so wide open all the time. Today? He was hardly ever open let alone wide open. He made plays with his hands. Fitzpatrick's TD to Nelson was AWESOME. Guess what? Nelson was triple covered. It was almost stupid it throw that pass (but how glad I am he did). 9 times out of 10 that pass is intercepted.

How many of Fitz's completions today were great passes into double coverage where it was perfectly placed over one defender and just before the other defender with the WR leaping and making an excellent catch? Several. The Bills WR's were all blanketed today. We threw one pass downfield where Fitz called an audible and Jones looked like he was running with cement shoes on. Evans might have scored on that pass. Hats off to ALL of the young guys and The Amish Rifle for the game they played and the plays they made. But our guys were not open hardly at all today.

Yea that TD to Nelson was just over the defenders shoulder.