We will find out how important Lee Evans is

PromoTheRobot

Yes we will find out what Lee's Deep threat will mean to Stevie. I think that Johnson will be the deep threat now that Lee is out. Well wasn't he all season long? I think losing Roscoe has hurt the passing game more than the loss of Evans.

I like what we have in Stevie, Jones and Nelson. All Nelson does is get open and make plays. now can he run block with that thin frame of his?? We shall see.

Trading Lee next year I think is silly. He is a proven vet and trading him does NOT make us any better. I wish they would have not put Easley on IR, he would have got some good playing time. If everybody comes back we will have a nice WR core next year. WR is not a worry on this team at all.

Evans, Stevie(if he can cure his drops), Parrish, Nelson,Easley, Jones we might be set a WR for a few seasons.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets very old off all these people claiming we cant make up for Evans production, over the last 2 years, he has been outplayed by at least one other reciver on his own team. Not to mention all the other posters who have brought up that he is a one trick pony, and we dont have a QB that can do that, so tell me again why we keep him? Not that he couldnt do better with that type of QB, but We dont have what he needs to make his trick work. Everyone will see over the next 3 weeks, nobody was afraid of evans going deep cuz our QB cant throw it there, so why worry about someone running out of the QB range, answer is teams dont. When we face our division and are able to pass the ball at least as well as we were with Evans in there they will have nothing left to say other than it could have been better.

It gets very old off all these people claiming we cant make up for Evans production, over the last 2 years, he has been outplayed by at least one other reciver on his own team. Not to mention all the other posters who have brought up that he is a one trick pony, and we dont have a QB that can do that, so tell me again why we keep him? Not that he couldnt do better with that type of QB, but We dont have what he needs to make his trick work. Everyone will see over the next 3 weeks, nobody was afraid of evans going deep cuz our QB cant throw it there, so why worry about someone running out of the QB range, answer is teams dont. When we face our division and are able to pass the ball at least as well as we were with Evans in there they will have nothing left to say other than it could have been better.

We keep him because he "only" costs the team 4 mill next year. Secondly, you cant teach speed and teams have to respect his speed on every play. So yea you can say he is a one trick pony but the Bills coaches don't use him like a Wes Welker even Roscoe so to speak.

I think the coaching staff could make better use of his speed. That's not Lee'fault.

What are the numnbers on Fitz' accuracy with deep balls, compared to other QB's? I keep hearing this, but haven't seen any numbers to back it up.

I would guess that at least 75% are under thrown or over thrown (mostly underthrown), and some not even close to the intended receiver=interception. The best long pass Fitz has ever thrown hit his receiver in the hands for the game winning TD-but Stevie "Stone Hands" dropped it. It seems like more of his long passes are intercepted than are even catchable by his own receivers.

We keep him because he "only" costs the team 4 mill next year. Secondly, you cant teach speed and teams have to respect his speed on every play. So yea you can say he is a one trick pony but the Bills coaches don't use him like a Wes Welker even Roscoe so to speak.

I think the coaching staff could make better use of his speed. That's not Lee'fault.

The Bills coaches don't have the luxury of the Pats offensive line that would allow Scoe, et al to run around and find gaps in zones.

I would guess that at least 75% are under thrown or over thrown (mostly underthrown), and some not even close to the intended receiver=interception. The best long pass Fitz has ever thrown hit his receiver in the hands for the game winning TD-but Stevie "Stone Hands" dropped it. It seems like more of his long passes are intercepted than are even catchable by his own receivers.

This incessant level of duncery, what's in it for you?

You are exactly correct, if there is a bigger waste of talent in the NFL than Lee Evans, I am not sure who that would be. Maybe a speed receiver, with decent hands, lots of character (doesn't say stupid crap, post retarded crap on the internet, doesn't write on a T-shirt and draw fines, run his mouth just to get attention), doesn't fit in with Chan "The Offensive Genius" Gailey's game plan. Put Evans on the Patriots, and he would equal the numbers that Randy Moss put up a couple years ago when they went undefeated and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl, because Belecheat knows how to adjust a gameplan to the personnel he has. Just look at the Patriots offense this year compared to 2007, a totally different philosophy, but just as successful.

Edited by billsfreak

The Bills coaches don't have the luxury of the Pats offensive line that would allow Scoe, et al to run around and find gaps in zones.

This incessant level of duncery, what's in it for you?

Well we don't have Tom Brady either...

That being said, I would like to see Lee used better, they pay him as an elite WR, but they fail to get him involved on the regular. He has way more talent to be catching 2 passes per game.

People not understanding that Evans game is predicated on the "threat" of deep speed opening up everything else has gotten incredibly old. People who want to bash can bash but it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. One of these other players you mentioned actually used one of my favorite phrases on TV this week. "I can't throw the ball to myself." Pretty much sums it up. If a QB doesn't present a credible real threat of being able to hit Evans 40, 50, 60 yards "in the air" down field then his game becomes limited. Do you blame a Porsche for the failings of it's driver?

You can certainly say that Lee isn't the BEST fit with Fitz but that's not really either of their faults in my opinion.

People not understanding that Evans game is predicated on the "threat" of deep speed opening up everything else has gotten incredibly old. People who want to bash can bash but it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. One of these other players you mentioned actually used one of my favorite phrases on TV this week. "I can't throw the ball to myself." Pretty much sums it up. If a QB doesn't present a credible real threat of being able to hit Evans 40, 50, 60 yards "in the air" down field then his game becomes limited. Do you blame a Porsche for the failings of it's driver?

You can certainly say that Lee isn't the BEST fit with Fitz but that's not really either of their faults in my opinion.

I never said it was Lee's fault, I even said with a type of QB that can do it, Lee would be a viable threat, My point is we dont have the other half of the threat for lee to work with. I do not dislike him or wish him ill will, it would probably be better for him to go somewhere that has a QB that can bomb it to him a few times a game.

We just dont have that threat.

I seen someone compare Evans to Moss, that is just dumb, and that all I am going to say about that, Moss is future HOF, Evans not even pro bowl.

You are exactly correct, if there is a bigger waste of talent in the NFL than Lee Evans, I am not sure who that would be. Maybe a speed receiver, with decent hands, lots of character (doesn't say stupid crap, post retarded crap on the internet, doesn't write on a T-shirt and draw fines, run his mouth just to get attention), doesn't fit in with Chan "The Offensive Genius" Gailey's game plan. Put Evans on the Patriots, and he would equal the numbers that Randy Moss put up a couple years ago when they went undefeated and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl, because Belecheat knows how to adjust a gameplan to the personnel he has. Just look at the Patriots offense this year compared to 2007, a totally different philosophy, but just as successful.

Lee has had what 3 different coaches and has not been a wes welker type, do you think that 3 coaches didnt see it, or is it more likely that Evans is not suited for that role? I would say I hardly ever see him run a slant, and when he does, if he is going to get hit he dosnt catch the ball he ducks and covers, maybe that is why he is not the wes welker type ya think?

I think Lee suffers from a similar set of circumstances that affected Eric Moulds - multiple head coaches/offensive coordinators/QBs - no real, long-term, consistent #2 WR to keep opponents from double teaming him - and a team adrift for years with no clear direction as far as offensive strategy, game planning, or play-calling.

Bottom line, tho, is that he's still a deep threat (assuming there are no long-term lingering injury effects), and not likely to get you much in return on the trade-market. I'd like to see him stick around thru his ' contract year ' (he becomes a FA in 2013).

Not talking run after the catch. Talking "in the air". I'm not knocking Fitz but the "nfl" deep ball isn't his "strength". Pun intended.

Since when has Lee caught a pass and racked up YAC for over 40 yards? "I must of missed that"

No sir, it's because Lee can't do what Welker does, not because he isn't asked to.

Enough of the excuses, he's a one trick pony and most of us realize this. Also, he would never get the sort of numbers that Moss has produced, it's time to get out of Evans Homer delusional land and step into the real world.

What kind of value would Evans have right now? Not much IMO. Most teams would just wait for the Bills to release him.

Without Evans we'd have a WR corps without a veteran presence. That feels a little risky.

PTR

New England got a 1st for Seymour and a 3rd for Moss.

If the Bills WRs perform well in the next 3 games then maybe you consider Evans for a 2nd or 3rd if impossible?

I like Lee but I see so many needs on this team that it may not be a bad move.

New England got a 1st for Seymour and a 3rd for Moss.

If the Bills WRs perform well in the next 3 games then maybe you consider Evans for a 2nd or 3rd if impossible?

I like Lee but I see so many needs on this team that it may not be a bad move.

I too would take a 3rd or better for him. I mean,the odds are pretty good that you would be getting a young player just as good as little lee and at a position of need.

I guess we will see just how open our young WRs can get without Lee Evans on the field. If Johnson is doubled teamed can Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt get it done? Questions will be answered.

PTR

I am sure we will miss his two or three catches for 34 yards mostly in garbage time, one or two big drops, and one half effort play resulting in an INT. But according to half of the people on this board he must be the best number one receiver in the league at drawing double coverage and allowing our other guys make plays. Gimme a break, cut this guy loose. We will be embarrassed at what you can get for him in a trade. Who wants to fork over a draft pick that could immediately produce what this guy produces and then pay so much salary and get so little in return? Maybe Washington?

Edited by jumbalaya

I guess we will see just how open our young WRs can get without Lee Evans on the field. If Johnson is doubled teamed can Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt get it done? Questions will be answered.

PTR

We have to see how these teams gameplan against first. I doubt Johnson sees significant double coverage in any of these last 3 games. I predict teams will be attacking fitz and being a bit more aggressive with the safeties. I guess we will start to see this week against Miami.

I am sure we will miss his two or three catches for 34 yards mostly in garbage time, one or two big drops, and one half effort play resulting in an INT. But according to half of the people on this board he must be the best number one receiver in the league at drawing double coverage and allowing our other guys make plays. Gimme a break, cut this guy loose. We will be embarrassed at what you can get for him in a trade. Who wants to fork over a draft pick that could immediately produce what this guy produces and then pay so much salary and get so little in return? Maybe Washington?

I think most of us base our opinions on the scoreboard and what we see in that fancy picture box. We don't have any appreciation what goes on outside of our view. I'm worried that Evans contributions, as limited as they seem to be this season, are being grossly undervalued. Like I said, we shall see how the WR corps performs over the next 3 weeks. Maybe Johnson will shine. Maybe Johnson is shut down but Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt pick up the slack. But I hope we don't take big step backward without Evans.

PTR

the 98 yarder to TO last year went 50 yards in the air. Fitz threw from 5 yards deep in the endzone, catch was made at the 45.

youtube.com/watch?v=FxCWzyUtFbY

Thanks for the 2009 footage. To bad you couldn't find anything from 2010. Again, I'm not knocking Fitz and I don't think QB is in our top 3 needs but a 3 - 5 step drop back rainbow? Looked like fitz was about at the limit of his range. You will also notice in that play that the deep safety was doubled up on Evans and they tried to run a LB out to cover the slant pattern to Owens. Basically he had single coverage deep and Fitz threw it up there and delivered a nice ball.

I think we can say that throwing deep is not really Fitz's strength even though he can chuck 1 or 2 a year that far getting a great presnap read and match up. Conversely there are guys that make that 2009 throw OR FARTHER several times a game. Hopefully you get the difference.

Since when has Lee caught a pass and racked up YAC for over 40 yards? "I must of missed that"

Probably the last time we had a QB with a strong arm that didn't throw out routes 15 yards down field. Riddle me this Batman since you apparently have stats on YAC for individual pass plays....When is the last time Larry Fitz had YAC for over 40 yards, Andre Johnson etc?

Edited by PDaDdy

Thanks for the 2009 footage. To bad you couldn't find anything from 2010. Again, I'm not knocking Fitz and I don't think QB is in our top 3 needs but a 3 - 5 step drop back rainbow? Looked like fitz was about at the limit of his range. You will also notice in that play that the deep safety was doubled up on Evans and they tried to run a LB out to cover the slant pattern to Owens. Basically he had single coverage deep and Fitz threw it up there and delivered a nice ball.

I think we can say that throwing deep is not really Fitz's strength even though he can chuck 1 or 2 a year that far getting a great presnap read and match up. Conversely there are guys that make that 2009 throw OR FARTHER several times a game. Hopefully you get the difference.

Why does it matter that the footage is from last season? Do you think his arm has gotten significantly worse since then? I disagree that it looks like he is at the limit of his range on that throw. To me it looks like he didn't get a good follow through because of the pass rush in his face, and he had to put more air under the ball than he would have otherwise. Anyway, the reason I used a video from last year isn't because it was all I could find, but it was the first example that came to mind. If you want another example from this year, google "Steve Johnson drop." That one was a perfectly thrown ball that went 50 yards in the air, into double coverage, this season. I wonder why he doesn't throw that pass to Evans more often, since that's supposedly Evans' bread and butter? It could be any number of factors. Maybe not many deep balls are being called, or maybe its because the guy running that route isn't getting open. I get what you're saying that the deep ball might not be Fitz's strength, but he is still good enough at it. Saying that Evans isn't making catches because Fitz can't make the throw on his favorite route when we've seen him make it just doesn't make sense to me.