We will find out how important Lee Evans is

PromoTheRobot

You didn't notice we couldn't run -- at all -- the entire game? You didn't notice all those Dolphins up near the line of scrimmage daring us to pass the ball downfield? You didn't notice Stevie Johnson covered most of the game instead of often being wide open like before? You didnt notice we threw one long pass the entire game, which could have been a TD if we had a fast WR running the fly route?

The real result is we have two guys on Steve Johnson instead of one. We couldnt run at all (in part and perhaps in large part) because there was one extra player playing the run instead of playing the field stretching play, we couldn't throw deep, and we scored 17 points.

You didn't notice Stevie has been consistantly double covered the last 4 games?

You didn't notice the Dolphins are the #6 defense against the run?

We can't run because Lee Evans isn't in the game? That is hilarious.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't notice Stevie has been double covered the last 4 games constantly?

He hasn't. That's bull ****, IMO. Even Steve Johnson still said it recently. When Evans went out last week at halftime, SJ had three catches for 14 yards because he was double covered pretty much for the first time. Teams were always having the safety lean to Evans, and every time (which wasn't often) they only had one on one coverage against him, Fitz would audible or look to throw it deep to him.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Lee Evans sucks. How long will the denial continue? You can't blame it on Trent Edwards anymore. You can't blame it on a terrible offense anymore. There is only one place to lay the blame for Evans' suckery: Lee Evans. With Evans out of the lineup today and Stevie obviously drawing the full attention of the defense, Stevie was still able to be more productive than Evans has been all year.

What more evidence do you people need?

He hasn't. That's bull ****, IMO. Even Steve Johnson still said it recently. When Evans went out last week at halftime, SJ had three catches for 14 yards because he was double covered pretty much for the first time. Teams were always having the safety lean to Evans, and every time (which wasn't often) they only had one on one coverage against him, Fitz would audible or look to throw it deep to him.

Really? What was the coverage on the dropped TD pass in OT against the Stillers?

I agree with you Mr. The Dean Iam not ready to throw away a good player like Evans. Right now the Bills need all the best players they can get after all they have only won 4 so far. Don't get me wrong I like this group of receivers and are impressed with them but I still think they need a veteran presents.

What are you agreeing with? And do you mean "presence?"

Alright, I change my mind. With only a 4 mil contract next year (including roster bonus), I think it's pretty clear that you keep him. Even if he does put up the production he got this year, and is mostly just a way to take coverage away from other receivers, it's completely worth it at that price.

That's what makes him a more attractive trade...Gotta see what the no-names do for the last two first, though.

:lol: There was only one wide receiver who ran ANY pattern on that play. And no backs. And short delay by a TE covered by a LB.

So when a safety covers Stevie Johnson over top with a CB in primary coverage that doesn't count as double coverage because of the play that was called or the package that was in?

But if that happened to Lee it would be double coverage?

Sounds like a FOX news kind of fair and balanced.

So when a safety covers Stevie Johnson over top with a CB in primary coverage that doesn't count as double coverage because of the play that was called or the package that was in?

I think it's safe to say that he's referring to double coverage when the regular WR patterns are run, and like it or not but Evans still commands the double coverage, and today's game was prime example of how hard it will be to play the rest of the year with Bills unable to run or stretch the field.

People may be thrilled that the Bills WRs won some jump balls in tight coverage today, but that's not a formula for success in this league.

Are you that obtuse?

Lee gets double coverage on virtually every pass play, not just when he is the only WR running a pattern.

Are you that obtuse?

Lee gets double coverage on virtually every pass play, not just when he is the only WR running a pattern.

1. He absolutely does not get doubled on every play, that is a myth.

2. A safety covering the deep ball doesn't prevent great WRs from getting open.

I think it's safe to say that he's referring to double coverage when the regular WR patterns are run, and like it or not but Evans still commands the double coverage, and today's game was prime example of how hard it will be to play the rest of the year with Bills unable to run or stretch the field.

People may be thrilled that the Bills WRs won some jump balls in tight coverage today, but that's not a formula for success in this league.

Actually WRs fighting to catch the ball is a recipe for success.

Depending on outrunning your pass coverage is not a recipe for success.

No, it means that if it were Stephen Hawking at WR on that play and he was the only WR to run a pattern against two CBs and two safeties that eventually two guys would go after him. And the safety was really late getting there.

And no, I wouldn't say lee Evans was double covered on that play if it were him, and the only one out. It was kind of a trick play by keeping everyone in to make it look like a run, and only one guy out. Later on, as I said, the TE Stupar eventually went out and curled across the middle but Fitz was already looking to SJ.

It is funny to see some still defending Lee Evans after a game in which undrafted FA receivers and a 7th rounder caught balls he never would have, especially those two in the Dolphoms' end zone. Really funny.

Evans has got a free ride since he's been here. It has always been the QB's fault.

I'm sure Gailey has it figured out and won't be surprised if Lee has seen his last game in a Bills uniform. If si, I won't miss him.

He's the offensive Donte Whitner.

It is funny to see some still defending Lee Evans after a game in which undrafted FA receivers and a 7th rounder caught balls he never would have, especially those two in the Dolphoms' end zone. Really funny.

Evans has got a free ride since he's been here. It has always been the QB's fault.

I'm sure Gailey has it figured out and won't be surprised if Lee has seen his last game in a Bills uniform. If si, I won't miss him.

He's the offensive Donte Whitner.

I agree. I think "Kelly the Fair" is either a relative of Evans, the Lee Evans fan club president or an obsessed Evans fan.

I agree. I think "Kelly the Fair" is either a relative of Evans, the Lee Evans fan club president or an obsessed Evans fan.

Everyone knows teams have to be able to go downfield, and go deep, to keep defenses honest and the safeties back. I am not in love with Evans, I think he's had a very average year. But he serves a huge purpose by keeping defenses honest. If in the next two games we can throw the ball deep, and the safeties don't crowd the line so our run game is good, I would gladly trade Evans if the player replacing him is going to be as good for the team as a whole.

Look at this article from the Miami paper:

The Dolphins were so adamant about stopping Buffalo's ground game – which was limited to 71 yards on 27 carries – the defense left the cornerbacks on an island to cover the Bills' unheralded receivers, who helped quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick produce a 223-yards, two touchdown performance.

They wouldn't have done that so much if Evans was in there. No team has the entire year. It worked against our run game, which went nowhere. It kept us from going deep. IF this team can consistently pass into tight coverage, not be able to run, not be able to throw deep with any success AND still win (which we did yesterday), then sure, we don't need Evans. I highly, highly doubt it.

Put it another way. Chan Gailey (and Edwards) has been amazing and consistent this year about putting different players in when they weren't producing -- OR -- platooning players at virtually all positions. He plays all four safeties in games. He swaps the starting CBs. He changes up the LBs pretty much every play. He platoons the DL every series (although a lot of teams do, not to this extent). He swaps RBs all the time. He swaps TEs all the time. He even switches OL in the middle of games or series when that is usually unheardof. He benched and dumped the QB after two games. He has all kinds of combinations of WRs, almost on a play by play basis. You know the player he benched this year for lack of prodiuction? Steve Johnson. For three games until Roscoe got hurt. Did he ever take Evans out? No. Except on certain formations like goalline or a special play.

I guarantee you that Gailey would laugh in your face if you suggested to him this Bills team doesn't want or need Lee Evans.

Everyone knows teams have to be able to go downfield, and go deep, to keep defenses honest and the safeties back. I am not in love with Evans, I think he's had a very average year. But he serves a huge purpose by keeping defenses honest. If in the next two games we can throw the ball deep, and the safeties don't crowd the line so our run game is good, I would gladly trade Evans if the player replacing him is going to be as good for the team as a whole.

Look at this article from the Miami paper:

They wouldn't have done that so much if Evans was in there. No team has the entire year. It worked against our run game, which went nowhere. It kept us from going deep. IF this team can consistently pass into tight coverage, not be able to run, not be able to throw deep with any success AND still win (which we did yesterday), then sure, we don't need Evans. I highly, highly doubt it.

Put it another way. Chan Gailey (and Edwards) has been amazing and consistent this year about putting different players in when they weren't producing -- OR -- platooning players at virtually all positions. He plays all four safeties in games. He swaps the starting CBs. He changes up the LBs pretty much every play. He platoons the DL every series (although a lot of teams do, not to this extent). He swaps RBs all the time. He swaps TEs all the time. He even switches OL in the middle of games or series when that is usually unheardof. He benched and dumped the QB after two games. He has all kinds of combinations of WRs, almost on a play by play basis. You know the player he benched this year for lack of prodiuction? Steve Johnson. For three games until Roscoe got hurt. Did he ever take Evans out? No. Except on certain formations like goalline or a special play.

I guarantee you that Gailey would laugh in your face if you suggested to him this Bills team doesn't want or need Lee Evans.

Evans having a very average year? You are really in love with Evans. This year in 12 1/2 games played, Evans has 37 receptions, 578 yards and 4 TD's, so that's 2.96 Rec's per game, 46.24 YPG and 0.32 TD's per game, so that's very average to you? How about last year when Evans had T.O., 44 Rec, 612 yds & 7 TDs, that was 2.75 rec's per game, 38.25 YPG, and 0.44 TD's per game. I don't know if Evans decided that once he got the big contract extension that he decided not to play as hard, maybe he's tired of losing, maybe he's upset with the Bills for letting go of his buddy Losman, maybe he's a one trick pony (a deep threat) or a combination of the above, but one things for sure, Evans' production has dropped big time after his contract extension, there's no denying that.

Also, with Evans taking double-coverage as a deep threat and opening up the running game, I'm not buying it anymore. I hate to give credit to the Dolphins, but their defense, especially against the run has improved a lot this year. So far after 14 games, the Phins D ranks at #4 with 298.0 YPG, rank 6th against the run at 96.6 YPG and 6th against the pass at 201.1 YPG. In the season opener, with Evans as the #1 WR, the Bills offense had 166 total net yards, with 50 of those from the rush. Of those 50 yards, F. Jackson had 4-19, Lynch 3-13, T. Edwards 2-12, Spiller 7-6. Yesterday, without Evans, the Bills had 282 Total net yards, with 71 coming from the rush (21 more yards without Evans in the lineup). Of those 71 yards, Jackson had 15-36, Fitz had 3-19 and Spiller had 9-16. So your argument about Evans opening up the run game is invalid.

So what's the excuses going to be now...

Also, with Evans taking double-coverage as a deep threat and opening up the running game, I'm not buying it anymore. I hate to give credit to the Dolphins, but their defense, especially against the run has improved a lot this year. So far after 14 games, the Phins D ranks at #4 with 298.0 YPG, rank 6th against the run at 96.6 YPG and 6th against the pass at 201.1 YPG. In the season opener, with Evans as the #1 WR, the Bills offense had 166 total net yards, with 50 of those from the rush. Of those 50 yards, F. Jackson had 4-19, Lynch 3-13, T. Edwards 2-12, Spiller 7-6. Yesterday, without Evans, the Bills had 282 Total net yards, with 71 coming from the rush (21 more yards without Evans in the lineup). Of those 71 yards, Jackson had 15-36, Fitz had 3-19 and Spiller had 9-16. So your argument about Evans opening up the run game is invalid.

So what's the excuses going to be now...

In other words you believe the Bills would have been able to pass and win yesterday with Trent Edwards at quarterback. We couldn't run or pass against anyone with Trent. Your argument is insane. Thanks for playing.

In other words you believe the Bills would have been able to pass and win yesterday with Trent Edwards at quarterback. We couldn't run or pass against anyone with Trent. Your argument is insane. Thanks for playing.

So now it's Trent's fault, not Evans? I thought Evans commanded double teams and opened up the run game? I just proved you wrong with all those stats. I proved to you that the Phins have one of the best defenses (especially against the run) and you still have blinders on. Why don't we regress and bring back Losman, just so your favorite player Lee Evans can finally start playing well again. Admit it, you're an obsessed Evans fan! Very average year...give me a F!@KIN' BREAK!!!!

Lee Evans or not, we still need some sort of deep threat. It could be Lee Evans, it could be someone else, I don't really care. Johnson and Nelson have solid hands, but aren't deep guys from what I've seen. Roscoe is too small, even though he is damned fast.

First you say there were no passes yesterday that went over 15 yards and people proved you wrong. Now you say Evans always gets double-teamed because he is a deep threat, which opens up the run game, and again, were proven wrong. Just go to OBD and ask Evans on a date already :wallbash:

So now it's Trent's fault, not Evans? I thought Evans commanded double teams and opened up the run game? I just proved you wrong with all those stats. I proved to you that the Phins have one of the best defenses (especially against the run) and you still have blinders on. Why don't we regress and bring back Losman, just so your favorite player Lee Evans can finally start playing well again. Admit it, you're an obsessed Evans fan! Very average year...give me a F!@KIN' BREAK!!!!

Going into the game yesterday, the Phins were #4 against the pass (that's what one of their players said). I believe they are #6 right now after giving up more than they normally do. Either way, their run defense and their pass defense have been very good, between 4-6. Yesterday, they decided to change their strategy a little because of lee Evans not playing. This is one of the smarter defensive masterminds in all of football, Mike Nolan. Mike Nolan says to his team, without Evans they can't throw the ball downfield. So they let the Bills try to beat them that way, and completely took away our run.

Their players came right out and said it. To take away our run. It worked. We were terrible. It was statistically the worst game of Fred's career YPR with a decent amount of carries. Spiller averaged less than two yards. They were not only stopping us at the LOS they were in our backfield all day. That's because they had one or two extra players in there at the LOS because, as they admitted, they "left their CBs on an island" to stop our run. As I said, IF we can win by not being able to run, not being able to pass deep, and throw into tight coverage, then sure we don't need Evans.

We did it yesterday. I doubt we can consistently do it. I doubt we will trade Evans. I will bet anyone right now that Gailey and Fitz want Lee Evans starting next week if he could, and will next year. Wanna bet me $1000 that Lee Evans, barring injury, is in the starting lineup next year opening week? Why? Because Coach Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick think that gives us the best chance for success.