How I would treat Tom Brady

Coach Tuesday

I think the Pats have recently became a much overrated team. The last couple of weeks they happened to face a couple of teams that just layed down like dogs.

Their defense isn't any good and the Bills have an offense that can keep up with the Pats now.

I think the Patriots beat up on the Packers then get shocked by the Bills next week who'll finally punch them in the face and knock them off their high horse in front of an absolute crazy Ralph. It's gonna happen people. I can feel it.

They have beaten Baltimore, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, NY Jets, and Chicago this year so far(all teams that will probably be in the playoffs this year). They laid 2 eggs this year against the Browns and the Jets, other than that, only the Falcons could be "ranked" as a higher team this year. I sure hope they get knocked out of the playoffs, but they've got the makings for another Super Bowl run. I don't really think of overrated when I think of them. The way they embarrassed the Steelers at Heinz Field told me a lot about them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats are going to beat us next weekend, it's a given. They always beat us. And usually, we make it easy for them. Under Jauron, Brady's trips to the Ralph were a walk in the park - it looked unbelievably easy for him. And this year, we just don't have the players (yet, hopefully) to pull out a victory.

So here's what I would do:

Rather than sit back and let him dink and dunk his way up and down the field, I would blitz the hell out of him. I'd hit him on every pass play, if possible. I'd even tell my guys not to worry about a few roughing the passer flags, because everyone knows they'll come.

And I don't care about the fact that by blitzing, you give up the big play.

So what, I'm thinking LONG TERM.

And long term, I don't want Brady to enjoy his trips to Buffalo anymore. I want him to start hating having to come play here. So that it sticks in his mind. And so next year, hopefully, and years to come, he remembers how much he hates playing in Buffalo.

The time to start getting in his head is NOW. I hope Chan sees it the same way. Make it as uncomfortable as possible for the guy.

Oh, and less anyone out there feels bad for him, here is a great piece from Tim Graham showing evidence that Brady runs up the score on teams:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/23366/does-tom-brady-run-up-the-score

Go Bills.

Someone posts this every year.

Anyway, you don't think teams with the best defenses in the league (Balt, Jets, Chicago, SD, Steelers) are trying to pressure Brady? How has it worked out? How are we going to accomplish what those teams couldn't with our nonexistent pass rush?

I like the part where you cite a Graham article as "evidence that Brady runs up the score on teams". It was really hard to tell!

Edited by Mr. WEO

What's with the fascination and disdain for teams that "run up the score"?

Isn't it the point for offenses to score points?

Aren't many players/coaches contracts loaded with scoring/performance incentives?

Why shouldn't a team score as often as they can?

In this time of great parity among NFL teams, if a team sucks bad enough on any given Sunday that the other team beats them by 40 or 50 points then so be it. If a team does not like it, then do something so that you don't suck so badly. Don't cry about the other team "running up the score".

The "running up the score" folks are the pu$$ie$ who also would take their ball if things didn't go their way. You know the crybaby types who would also complain if someone bumps into their kid in the schoolground instead of teaching the kid how to fight back and stick up for themselves.

In the case of the Pats, Belichick is simply teaching his team of the importantance of playing a full 60 minute ballgame. Earlier on in the season the Pats let down in the late going and that's not something Belichick wants to happen again. But most coaches don't coach to the same degree of emphasis that Belichick does so you'll see the players of those teams complain like a bunch of crybabies.

The Pats are going to beat us next weekend, it's a given. They always beat us. And usually, we make it easy for them. Under Jauron, Brady's trips to the Ralph were a walk in the park - it looked unbelievably easy for him. And this year, we just don't have the players (yet, hopefully) to pull out a victory.

Rather than sit back and let him dink and dunk his way up and down the field, I would blitz the hell out of him. I'd hit him on every pass play, if possible. I'd even tell my guys not to worry about a few roughing the passer flags, because everyone knows they'll come.

And long term, I don't want Brady to enjoy his trips to Buffalo anymore. I want him to start hating having to come play here. So that it sticks in his mind. And so next year, hopefully, and years to come, he remembers how much he hates playing in Buffalo.

The time to start getting in his head is NOW. I hope Chan sees it the same way. Make it as uncomfortable as possible for the guy.

Oh, and less anyone out there feels bad for him, here is a great piece from Tim Graham showing evidence that Brady runs up the score on teams:

Go Bills.

I definitely agree with this tactic (play hard nose football.) However, 1) we should have been doing this from the first time Brady played in Buffalo and 2) it seems a little too late, because, how much time does Brady have playing football anyway. He is on the tail end of his career. He has all the money, fame, hot wife, kid(s) any one man would want.

But again, I agree. Maybe Moats could hit him hard enough to make him consider early retirement, instead of doing the Farve and playing till he is 40.

They have beaten Baltimore, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, NY Jets, and Chicago this year so far(all teams that will probably be in the playoffs this year). They laid 2 eggs this year against the Browns and the Jets, other than that, only the Falcons could be "ranked" as a higher team this year. I sure hope they get knocked out of the playoffs, but they've got the makings for another Super Bowl run. I don't really think of overrated when I think of them. The way they embarrassed the Steelers at Heinz Field told me a lot about them.

The Steelers are overrated too. They have a weak offense and can't stop the spread offense. They needed a dropped "money" ball to beat us.

I know, I know...we all hate the Patriots but let's take a step back and look at things with a logical eye. Brady is playing at a level of absolute perfection (29 TD's 4 INT's) to the point where he is transending the position into an artform. Not since Montana have I seen a QB perform at such a level. As for Belichick, just look at how he has flipped the age of the roster yet at the same time remaining highly competitive. The Pats D is very young but now they are starting to execute. They are night and day compared to earlier in the year. I mean, my God, they just picked up a player from the UFL and all he does is force a fumble against the Bears that results in a TD.

I thought Belichick's masterpiece was the '08 season when he got his team to 11-5 with Cassell. This season rivals that. So, hate on the Pats all you want but realize that they are the model of the team/organization concept in the NFL.

As for dealing with Brady, the one who said pressure up the middle was right on. You have to get pressure with 4. I know Brady has said that Kyle Williams a player he hates playing against. Pressure is key.

Blitz Brady and take your chances there. Hopefully if you get some pressure on Brady early the D can hang in there while the offense can get going.

The Pats* D is still very susceptible to giving up points and the Bills offense can put up points on less then stellar defenses. Its just can the D maybe get a little lucky and come away with a turnover or two.

If I had to pick the AFC Championship Its the Pats vs The Steelers.

The NFC its Atlanta VS Philly.

The Super Bowl is Pats vs Atlanta in Dallas !

:unsure: so you prefer brady be handled with kid gloves? :unsure:

Yes, but the Giants were able to do that WITHOUT having to blitz because they could get pressure with their fantastic front four.

Someone started a thread about drafting to beat the Patriots, and I agree with that philosophy. That is what Polian did back in the 80s when the Dolphins owned the Bills. His ambition was to build a team capable of stopping Marino and the Dolphins: an offense with enough firepower to keep up coupled with a pass defense predicated on applying a strong pass rush. I would have to say that Polian did a masterful job here. (Alas, those teams were NOT built to stop the power running teams from the NFC East -- but I digress.)

The Bills' drafts for the past decade have been visionless: no direct correlation based on acquiring players necessary to win the division. If I were calling the shots, I would place a HEAVY emphasis on pass rushers in this year's draft, regardless of what "scheme" they fit.

Drafting to beat the pats* is a future endevor, talk about the here and now. This year's Bills team is going nowhere, but they have 3 division games left. What they can do now that will affect their future is play out of their asses on defense and put a hurting on as many phins, phats* and jests as they can. Play hard, play to the whistle, let them know there's more to come.

Someone posts this every year.

Anyway, you don't think teams with the best defenses in the league (Balt, Jets, Chicago, SD, Steelers) are trying to pressure Brady?

Actually, most teams rush three and play a soft zone. Very few teams go all out on Brady.

I think the Pats have recently became a much overrated team. The last couple of weeks they happened to face a couple of teams that just layed down like dogs.

Their defense isn't any good and the Bills have an offense that can keep up with the Pats now.

I think the Patriots beat up on the Packers then get shocked by the Bills next week who'll finally punch them in the face and knock them off their high horse in front of an absolute crazy Ralph. It's gonna happen people. I can feel it.

Have you watched the Pats play this year at all to make a statement that they are overrated, they have the best record in the NFL, and not a cake schedule, so I dont know if you just are saying what you hope cuz that all I can guess as they have been embarrassing teams with winning records as of late.

The Steelers are overrated too. They have a weak offense and can't stop the spread offense. They needed a dropped "money" ball to beat us.

I would not be shocked at all if it was a New England vs Pittsburgh AFC Championship game. So please, if you don't mind, tell me who isn't overrated, in your opinion. In the AFC, I can't name a team who would beat either of these 2 teams in the playoffs, aside from San Diego, who may not even make the playoffs.

I would not be shocked at all if it was a New England vs Pittsburgh AFC Championship game. So please, if you don't mind, tell me who isn't overrated, in your opinion. In the AFC, I can't name a team who would beat either of these 2 teams in the playoffs, aside from San Diego, who may not even make the playoffs.

While I think that the Pats are the best team in the NFL, I don't think that they've magically transformed into that runaway freight train of a team a few years ago. As locked in as Brady's been lately, their defense is not all that good. I think that they've been playing teams that have wilted for whatever reason. Steelers suck against the spread, the Jets were an average team that had more than a few lucky wins and the Bears flat out quit once the Pats got up by a couple of touchdowns.

We'll see what happens when they come to the Ralph in a couple of weeks. I have a feeling that the Bills are going to win, because they have the offense that can scare the Pats, the Bills have the DBs who can pull off M2M coverage and the crowd will be in a frenzy that day. This is the Bills' superbowl this year. The Bills will of course be lucky to beat a team that's much better than them, but I sense that this is the game where the Pats come down to earth. Stub their toe.

The whole NFL has been one big ball of parity this season, I just don't buy into the Pats being juggernauts just yet.

Edited by 1billsfan

Aren't many players/coaches contracts loaded with scoring/performance incentives?

In this time of great parity among NFL teams, if a team sucks bad enough on any given Sunday that the other team beats them by 40 or 50 points then so be it. If a team does not like it, then do something so that you don't suck so badly. Don't cry about the other team "running up the score".

When asked about the Pats running up the score on his (then) Bills, Dick Jauron said "I have no problem with it. It's our job to stop it."

Even a busted clock is right twice a day.

I rather like the Ravens myself. On a good day, Ravens over Pitts and even Ravens over NE*

It does give me a positive feeling about the Bills direction that we shaved both Pitts and Ravens really close.

If we could only beat the Patriots* I would end the season happy.

Go Bills.

Those stats are useless without indexing them. For example, it would seem like Brady runs up the score because he has thrown more TD passes when up big. However, whats the denominator? Has heen simply been in that situation more than those other QBs? If so (which they don't mention), the stat is 100% meaningless.

Tom Brady wasn't shooting for a performance incentive in 07 when they were calling time outs late in the fourth to shoot for TDs in games they were winning by 30+ pts. It's not a matter of how the other team feels, it's a total dick move to rub salt in the wound of all the young kids watching their team get trounced.

It's also weak that Tommy Tough Guy has the single season TD record for racking up garbage time TDs to get 1 more than Peyton Manning who never pulled that ****.

Tom Brady wasn't shooting for a performance incentive in 07 when they were calling time outs late in the fourth to shoot for TDs in games they were winning by 30+ pts. It's not a matter of how the other team feels, it's a total dick move to rub salt in the wound of all the young kids watching their team get trounced.

I'm curious if you feel the same way when you see a defensive player continue to play light's out in an attempt to sack the opposing QB or intercept a ball or tackle a RB for a loss even when the game is out of hand? Or, would you be critical of a defender who, after catching an INT when his team is up by 3 TD's late in the 3rd, takes the ball back for a pick six instead of taking a knee long before he reaches the endzone?

Also, wouldn't kicking a gimme FG, in lieu of trying for 6 (and giving the defense a chance to stop you from scoring, be more of a running up the score issue?

It's also weak that Tommy Tough Guy has the single season TD record for racking up garbage time TDs to get 1 more than Peyton Manning who never pulled that ****.

Maybe they just wanted to even things out some since Manning gets to pad his yearly stats by placing in a cushy dome 8 times a season while Brady gets to play in crummy weather in places like Foxboro and Buffalo and New York.

I'm curious if you feel the same way when you see a defensive player continue to play light's out in an attempt to sack the opposing QB or intercept a ball or tackle a RB for a loss even when the game is out of hand? Or, would you be critical of a defender who, after catching an INT when his team is up by 3 TD's late in the 3rd, takes the ball back for a pick six instead of taking a knee long before he reaches the endzone?

Also, wouldn't kicking a gimme FG, in lieu of trying for 6 (and giving the defense a chance to stop you from scoring, be more of a running up the score issue?

There's a fine line between continuing to play hard and going out of your way to run up the scoreboard. If you can't draw a distinction between the scenario of calling a TO in the final minutes of the 4th quarter to throw bombs to the end zone, which no one does, and the things you described, which everyone does, then I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe they just wanted to even things out some since Manning gets to pad his yearly stats by placing in a cushy dome 8 times a season while Brady gets to play in crummy weather in places like Foxboro and Buffalo and New York.

Do you think you guys will win the SB this year?