Whitner gone?

buffalo1983

Few things are interesting...Byrd wash hurt, and since he has been able to play an entire game, he looks a lot better than last year. He doesn't have the picks, but he knows how to tackle, and has progressively gotten better in coverage. Funny to hear how big of a disappointment he is.

Whitner is not a top 3 Safety, but I think he is top 10. I don't know if anybody here ever had a situation where the more they did something the better they got at it, or if any of them didn't do all of their best work by the time they were 25, but Donte might be that kind of guy...you know, like all of the D-backs we have let walk.

"Don't mention him in the same sentence as..." Greer was a !@#$ing back up. Leonard was a special teamer. Clements was good and his production fell off when he took STUPID money to play in SF. Winfield was one of my favorites, and was good here, but go arguably better once he left...why? Because he developed as a player, physically and mentally. He played out the rookie contract and went on to enjoy his prime.

I defend Whitner, but that is probably because I watch all of the games, and I don't give a !@#$ if it is popular to like him or not. The guy is a damn good defender, and we are going to have a sizable hole to fill if he walks...ANOTHER sizable hole.

If we let Whitner go, we take 2 steps back.

I don't think anything is written in stone, he is just emotional and getting all upset over the first stage of negotiations. I bet Chan doesn't want to lose him, either, and the contract will get done, and all of you can scream and cry and mail in "fan cards," or whatever it is you do over the amount. Can't wait.

Yes. This.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing. I would put Whitner in the class of player that Nix mentioned (he called these players "good"), when he talked about the Kelsay extension. A team needs to keep a corps of players like that so they are not constantly having to retool every year when there are other positions that are not close to being "good" that need to be filled. It also helps that Whitner WANTS to be here.

The only problem is that I guarantee you that Whitner is asking for money comparable to what an elite player makes. While he may be serviceable, he certainly is no Ed Reed or Troy Polomalo -- and there is no way that he warrants that kind of compensation.

If the Bills can re-sign him for $2-3 M per year, then that is fine by me. If not, let him see what he can get paid elsewhere.

Scanned this thread and not surprised its full of the usual haters, saying the usual dumb things (like comparing the SS Whitner to the FS Wilson, not even the same position).

At it's biggest news, the tweets were a minor negotiation tactic. At worst... who cares?

Whitner is a good Safety and our best Safety. The people who are still cant get over the draft day shock from 5 years ago need to just find something else to talk about.

Best thing the Bills can do is re-sign him. Not saying give him crazy money, but they need to re-sign him. Period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Few things are interesting...Byrd wash hurt, and since he has been able to play an entire game, he looks a lot better than last year. He doesn't have the picks, but he knows how to tackle, and has progressively gotten better in coverage. Funny to hear how big of a disappointment he is.

Whitner is not a top 3 Safety, but I think he is top 10. I don't know if anybody here ever had a situation where the more they did something the better they got at it, or if any of them didn't do all of their best work by the time they were 25, but Donte might be that kind of guy...you know, like all of the D-backs we have let walk.

"Don't mention him in the same sentence as..." Greer was a !@#$ing back up. Leonard was a special teamer. Clements was good and his production fell off when he took STUPID money to play in SF. Winfield was one of my favorites, and was good here, but go arguably better once he left...why? Because he developed as a player, physically and mentally. He played out the rookie contract and went on to enjoy his prime.

I defend Whitner, but that is probably because I watch all of the games, and I don't give a !@#$ if it is popular to like him or not. The guy is a damn good defender, and we are going to have a sizable hole to fill if he walks...ANOTHER sizable hole.

If we let Whitner go, we take 2 steps back.

I don't think anything is written in stone, he is just emotional and getting all upset over the first stage of negotiations. I bet Chan doesn't want to lose him, either, and the contract will get done, and all of you can scream and cry and mail in "fan cards," or whatever it is you do over the amount. Can't wait.

good to see there is some rational logic going on in here. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDankenstein

This might all be gamesmanship! Dunno how many times we've seen a player grouse to the press about feeling 'disrespected' by the pace/amount of negotiations, only to end up smiling alongside the GM at a signing announcement one month later.

For where this team is, cap and personnel-wise, the right price point for 25 year old Whitner is somewhere between an average of 4 and 5M/yr. Still well below the top-tier 7 to 8 mil that Ed Reed, Adrian Wilson, Laron Landry, Polumalu, Sanders and Rolle are clearing. If that amount includes a little overpay to a loyal starter whose idea of a good time is studying opponent film in his home theater at 5 am, well fine! Better spent than Merriman's 1.8.

If he is disappointed in his contract talks, I'm disappointed in his playing, or lack of, and draft position. I think him and the Bills are far off. The both thought he was great coming out of college, and now the Bills know his worth and he is still dreaming. Whitner, go out and play a whole season, put some picks in the states then complian about your contract.

Here is the thing. I would put Whitner in the class of player that Nix mentioned (he called these players "good"), when he talked about the Kelsay extension. A team needs to keep a corps of players like that so they are not constantly having to retool every year when there are other positions that are not close to being "good" that need to be filled. It also helps that Whitner WANTS to be here.

The only problem is that I guarantee you that Whitner is asking for money comparable to what an elite player makes. While he may be serviceable, he certainly is no Ed Reed or Troy Polomalo -- and there is no way that he warrants that kind of compensation.

If the Bills can re-sign him for $2-3 M per year, then that is fine by me. If not, let him see what he can get paid elsewhere.

I would say re: Whitner:

1. Talks too mich, and doens't back it up. So what, just play please.

2. Lots of tackles due to a horrible front seven: Not his fault, and again, not impressed.

3. Hands os stone, no INTS.

4. Seems to get beat deep, and a liability in pass coverage.

5. SS of his ability are a dime a dozen and he will not be missed.

6. Upgrade position if possible.

He's an average player on a bad defense, and will not be missed IMHO.

Goats

Trent Edwards - Second straight pathetic offensive performance and Edwards is the leader of this sinking ship.

Steve Johnson - His garbage time yards don't matter, the pass that went off his hands started the avalanche.

Donte Whitner - Dropped an interception and was burned badly for a touchdown.

Goats

Demetrius Bell - A false start penalty and a sack given up.

Cornell Green - Two bad penalties and awful in pass protection. His false start penalty was a killer.

The Bills Secondary - They struggled as Brady picked them apart. They didn't get any help from a poor pass rush however.

Goats

Donte Whitner - Was beaten for two touchdowns and dropped a sure interception.

Geoff Hangartner - His unsportsmanlinke conduct penalty gave the defense no chance at a stop.

C.J. Spiller - His fumble was a big turning point in the game.

Gameballs

Fred Jackson - Huge game with 170 total yards and 2 touchdowns.

Donte Whitner - Very active with a pass knockdown, a pass defensed, and a deflection that was picked off.

Leodis McKelvin - Stepped in as the starting corner, punt return, and kick retuner. Had a return for TD called back by dubious penalty call.

Dwan Edwards - He had his second career interception and seven tackles. He did a great job in keeping the Lions running game down.

If you want to get a sense of negotiations, note that the top UFA safety last year was probably OJ Atogwe, who signed for about $6M per year. A more midrange guy like Will Allen signed for between $1M and $2M per year. I'd say Whitner is better than Allen, but not by a lot. I'd guess Donte wants at least $5M, the Bills are offering in the $3 M range. But that's a totally wild guess.

As you say, he hasn't been outplayed by the other safeties. He is #2 on the team in tackles (116 so far). While that's not the only stat I'd use to judge a defensive player, no bad players have that many tackles at this stage of the season.

Whether or not he lived up to his draft pick is fairly irrelevant, at this date, when it comes to keeping him or letting him go.

Yeah he's played a little better in a contract year. Thats no big surprise, but my guess is he wants top 5 saftey money and he's not a top safety and a disappointment for the 8th overall. I hope they keep Lee but let Donte walk.

Wilson and Scott have out played him, whitner has played well this year, but honestly if he thinks he will get even his rookie contract numbers I am sorry, but after he makes the rounds he should be welcomed back in August.

He will get scooped by someone and he play a long and sucessful career for someone (see Antoine Winfield).

Winfield is young ans talented. they sould work hard to sign him. Not saying breaqk the bank for him.

If he walks it will be another hole and another draft pick to fill it. Wilson is decent. Scott is decent in the box, against the run. Overall Whitner is better than either of them.

Right now we have at least three spots to fill in the front seven before contracts expire and then we have three contracts expiring at the end of the year on defense. That's six starters we'd need in the offseason. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if one of Whitner, Poz, or Florence was signed to a long term extension before the end of the season. My preference would probably be Poz, then Florence, then Whitner so this news doesn't disappoint me as much but I'd love to see some mvoement here. We're never going to improve if we jsut let our players walk after their rookie contracts because we will never run out of holes to fill.

Good way of looking at this. Hopefully the FO is smart enough to think this way as well.

Why this team can't keep a good Defensive Back for many years?

Remember Winfield, Clements, Greer and now Whitner.

So enjoy Jairus Byrd for the next 2 season, cause he will going to go elsewhere.

I know Byrd had an AMAZING rookie year, but he hasn't looked good at all this year. Actually he looks very similar to Whitner. So if many people here don't think Donte is worth keeping, then why all the love for Jarius? Not saying he won't be better than this year, but I don't think he's as good as last year either. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

Well, he does kind of defend against the pass and the run simultaneously better than Wilson and Scott. Is he a Polamalu clone on that matter? Far from it, but I have this hunch, that the coaching staff would rather not mess with the continuity in the defensive backfield and keep Scott and Wilson as situatinal players.

If you have to overpay a little, I would think about it and maybe reach Whitner's demand. Knowing what Whitner wants is key.

Fixxxer, what are u talking about? This dude blows in pass coverage! And that year we played the chargers, Scott shadowed gates and didn't allow him to get sh*t! Vs the run he's a lil below average to me! Remember LT broke his ankles this year in the jets game!

Awesome. We love wasting high-round picks on DBs and then letting them walk.

Thomas Smith, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements......then we have the high round picks that sucked and let them walk- James Williams, Traveres Tillman...then we have the low round db picks that are good and we let walk- Kurt Shultz, Jim Leonard...

Whitner is a good average Safety and our best Safety. The people who are still cant get over the draft day shock from 5 years ago need to just find something else to talk about.

Best thing the Bills can do is re-sign him. Not saying give him crazy money, but they need to re-sign him. Period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Whitner is an average safety, not a good safety.

The fact that he's the best safety on a defensively weak squad is not saying much. His draft position has nothing to do with this argument. HIs subpar play has everything to do with it.

It's nice to see that the front office understands that he is simply not worth what he's asking for.

Whitner is an average safety, not a good safety.

I don't think anyone in the NFL would agree with that. They might agree he isn't a great safety, but he is far above average, based on his versatility alone. Also, no average defensive players make as many tackles as Whitner. It simply can't happen.

Fixxxer, what are u talking about? This dude blows in pass coverage! And that year we played the chargers, Scott shadowed gates and didn't allow him to get sh*t! Vs the run he's a lil below average to me! Remember LT broke his ankles this year in the jets game!

Ahh, the "this guy blows" argument, how you can argue with that? I think whatever I write will fall in deaf ears, you're clearly biased against the guy.