The most annoying Christmas song is....

Just Jack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw come on Cow. That song is hilarious.

As for the worst Christmas song, my vote goes to "Santa Baby". :sick:

That song was hilarious is like 1982, the first five times I heard it....Since then, not so much.......Santa Baby is not even close to the worst Christmas song.

Haha, that song is pretty bad. The good? Does it really get any better than "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"? Come on -- classic!

A couple other tidbits that I didn't realize until recently:

-- "Jingle Bells" isn't a Christmas song, it's likely a Thanksgiving song. Weird.

-- Also, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" never mentions any holiday. It could have been written about a March snow storm. Also weird.

+1

I want to punch my radio when it comes on. It's just "Simply having a wonderful Christmastime" repeated about 220 times. WTF?

Isn't that what all of his songs are?

How about his 9/11, NFL anthem, "Freedom, talkin' 'bout freedom"? He basically repeats that refrain 100 times.

The song makes me hate freedom.

I wouldn't consider "Last Christmas" a Christmas song at all. It's a bad/cheesy pop song that mentions Christmas in it and that's where the association ends. If you listen to the lyrics (curse my wife!), it's about a guy who dates another guy (George Michael wrote it, after all), who cheats on him. Not very Christmas-like, is it?

And I like that McCartney song because it brings back good memories. Although I agree it's overplayed.

I wouldn't consider "Last Christmas" a Christmas song at all. It's a bad/cheesy pop song that mentions Christmas in it and that's where the association ends. If you listen to the lyrics (curse my wife!), it's about a guy who dates another guy (George Michael wrote it, after all), who cheats on him. Not very Christmas-like, is it?

And I like that McCartney song because it brings back good memories. Although I agree it's overplayed.

Actually, from what I can see, there is nothing explicit about a homosexual relationship in Last Christmas. And the video clearly has heterosexual acting couples in it. But since GM wrote it, the gay reference can be inferred. But that can be done for most songs that don't explicitly mention a boy and a girl, and then even some of them.

We'll agree the song sucks, though. But it is at least as much a Christmas song as many great songs associated with this time of year: Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells, etc.

Actually, from what I can see, there is nothing explicit about a homosexual relationship in Last Christmas. And the video clearly has heterosexual acting couples in it. But since GM wrote it, the gay reference can be inferred. But that can be done for most songs that don't explicitly mention a boy and a girl, and then even some of them.

We'll agree the song sucks, though. But it is at least as much a Christmas song as many great songs associated with this time of year: Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells, etc.

No, there's nothing explicit about a homosexual relationship in the song. But good songwriters write from their perspective/experience and GM is homosexual. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just pointing-out the un-Christmas-like nature of the song...along with the infidelity.

As for the other songs, I agree they're not Christmas songs either. But they more espouse the Christmas ideals.

No, there's nothing explicit about a homosexual relationship in the song. But good songwriters write from their perspective/experience and GM is homosexual. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just pointing-out the un-Christmas-like nature of the song...along with the infidelity.

As for the other songs, I agree they're not Christmas songs either. But they more espouse the Christmas ideals.

Major assumptive flaw in your argument.

Major assumptive flaw in your argument.

:lol:

Excellent point!

But I would argue that good, or perhaps great songwriters aren't limited to writing songs solely from their point of view, or relating only to their personal experience.

Of course, George Michael is neither a good nor a great songwriter.

Disagree. The Chrsitmas Shoes is the worst and most annoying Christmas song, and possibly any song, of all time. When I hear that song I seriously want to hurt myself or others.

Is anything more hokey, cliche, sugar sweet, formulaic and an example of bad songwriting than that? It's the musical equivilent of a paint by numbers painting or those tacky big-eyed cherub children figurines you might find advertised in the Sunday grocery coupons........

I had never heard this song before you mentioned it. Out of curiosity I looked it up. I got through about 2 or 3 minutes in and then I had to stop to vomit.

It is when you hear it sung by Madonna, the worst entertainer of all time.

I kind of think Madonna is an OK "entertainer" but a terrible musician/singer. You have to admit she is a terrific marketer, which is really why she is/was popular.

No mention of this train wreck??????

youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

C'mon. Dylan doing Christmas Polka? That's genius. :lol: