Chan Gailey has done it again.

We have Fitzpatrick at QB, a bunch of scrubs at WR (except evans, who is inconsequential), a very patchwork OL, no TE's to speak of, a div. 3 RB, and CJ Spiller, and somehow we move the ball. Got nearly 200 on the ground, and Fitz has td passes in 14 straight games.

Admit it, one and all. Chan Gailey knows how to run an offense. Give us a couple years to get a defense, and get ready for the playoffs.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hope Gailey can find a way to get Spiller to be a true offensive weapon, Gets a tightend to help out the passing game, and gets more consistent play out of the O-line. The offense has components that work but it also has flaws but I think Gailey knows that and for once I am confident in a Bills coach to correct those flaws.

Admit it, one and all. Chan Gailey knows how to run an offense. Give us a couple years to get a defense, and get ready for the playoffs.

You are 100% correct. Coach Gailey came here with a reputation as a resourceful and inventive offensive mind. At the time of the coaching search last January, many of us wanted to get an offensive-minded head coach. There are many competent defensive coaches but relatively few great offensive coaches. When you think about offensive gurus, it's a short list. Everyone recognizes guys like Shanahan, Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Sean Payton, and Gary Kubiak. Once you get past the head coaches, it's guys like Charlie Weis, Cam Cameron, and maybe Jason Garrett. Gailey is solidly in the company of these esteemed strategists. Is there anyone here who doubts that if Gailey was coaching talents such as Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller, Jericho Cotchery, Mark Sanchez, Tomlinson, etc. etc. etc. that he would be presiding over the best offense in football?

Former offensive hot shot Todd Haley failed before Pioli hired Weis this year. Josh McDaniels failed. Brian Schottenheimer's stock has fallen. Mike Shanahan's son, Kyle has failed so far. There's only a handful of really good offensive masterminds and Coach Gailey is one of them.

Lets hope Gailey can find a way to get Spiller to be a true offensive weapon, Gets a tight end to help out the passing game, and gets more consistent play out of the O-line. The offense has components that work but it also has flaws but I think Gailey knows that and for once I am confident in a Bills coach to correct those flaws.

This is Gailey's single failing this year as an offensive coach. Spiller missed a bit of time to injury but Gailey's inability to get more out of Spiller, particularly as a pass receiver is, IMO, the sole disappointment of his offense.

Wait Chan is only a little older than me, what does his age have to do with anything?

It's funny. Lots of fans (especially the naysayers) were criticizing Gailey's age at the time of his hire. And it is true that he appears older than his 58 years. But remember also that Gailey is only 3 months older than Bill Belichick and 7 months older than Mike Shanahan,

Gailey is not a spring chicken but he's hardly an old man.

After seeing a parade of unproven head coaches come through One Bills Drive, I feel like we finally have a bona fide football coach in Chan Gailey.

I expect to make the playoffs next year IF we can get our defensive issues sorted out......

We need a DE that can generate pass rush and better linebackers

The Bills actually dominated this game. In watching the score seemed much closer than the game felt, and LB play was why if you look at the stat sheet. LB's were making tackles on the running game and getting to the QB so the secondary could defend passes. So better LB's means the BIlls can do this to better teams- 100% agreed.

The most impressive thing to me is the performance of the line. Even while changing up players and picking guys up off the street, the line performs well most weeks. Blitzes are picked up well, and complex, mobile running plays are executed. Almost no holding or false start penalties. In my mind, it's nothing short of a miracle. We have had so many different coaches paraded in here over the last decade, and none of them have been able to do with our line what Gailey has done in half a season.

Well, we've improved from #30 in the NFL in offense to #26 and from 28th to 23rd or 24th (depending on the Vikings tonight) in scoring. So I guess that's better.

I just hope that Chan's genius will get us out of the bottom quarter of NFL offenses.

More watchable this year, yes, but we are still lightyears away from being considered an average offense.

Someone above used the word resourceful to describe Gailey...i think thats a terriffic word for him. His offense is founded in principles that he KNOWS to work, and he knows how to implement them. There IS no substitute for knowing wtf yer doin. And he's provin that he knows wtf he's doin in my book.

Gotta love the guy. Just enough personality for a Bills fan to identify with, without being a bullshet self-promoter. He strikes that balance that blue collar Bills fans have been looking for.

I say we keep him around for a while:)

ps...and as far as George Edwards goes...his boys looked like a pack of hungry dogs yesterday. I say we show HIM some patience as well. (but thats just me)

Lets hope Gailey can find a way to get Spiller to be a true offensive weapon, Gets a tightend to help out the passing game, and gets more consistent play out of the O-line. The offense has components that work but it also has flaws but I think Gailey knows that and for once I am confident in a Bills coach to correct those flaws.

Gailey mentioned in his presser yesterday that he told spiller and jackson to focus on running north-south, and hit a crease. Seems as tho they listened.

Two things I don't like: I don't mind 5 wides except when you have less than 3 yeards for a first, it seems to be a stupid strategy since everyone knows what's coming. Be interested to know the success rate...

Second thing is the draw play seems to have disappeared from the playbook. To me it's something that is effective if it works or not, as it makes the D hesitate when used often enough. Oh well. Good game anyway.

The most impressive thing to me is the performance of the line. Even while changing up players and picking guys up off the street, the line performs well most weeks. Blitzes are picked up well, and complex, mobile running plays are executed. Almost no holding or false start penalties. In my mind, it's nothing short of a miracle. We have had so many different coaches paraded in here over the last decade, and none of them have been able to do with our line what Gailey has done in half a season.

Kudos to Coach Gailey, but let's put some of the credit where credit is due... Fitz. A good QB with the ability to read defenses and make quick throws makes your O-line better, your receivers better and gives your offensive coordinator more of the playbook to work with.

I loved in the post game presser when Fitz was asked about the sack and fumble... he immediately said it was his fault for holding the ball too long. Quick reads, quick throws... everyone looks better.

We have Fitzpatrick at QB, a bunch of scrubs at WR (except evans, who is inconsequential), a very patchwork OL, no TE's to speak of, a div. 3 RB, and CJ Spiller, and somehow we move the ball. Got nearly 200 on the ground, and Fitz has td passes in 14 straight games.

:thumbsup: No argument here. I would rather not wait "a couple more years" to "get a defense", however. In this day and age in the NFL, when the Miami Dolphins can go from 1-15-0 one season to 11-5-0 division winners the very next season, as much as I like Gailey and his offensive success, his choice of DC sucked and Nix and Whaley and Modrak sucked this past off season finding players in FA and the draft that could contribute right away this year.

Buddy Nix seems to be convinced you need three or more years to "rebuild." I have no idea why, since every single season in the NFL some last place team ends up winning it's division or at least making the playoffs the next year. Look it up, that has happened every season since the 90's I'm guessing, when FA combined with the salary cap became a yearly reality in the NFL.

This season we have KC, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville all having "great improvement" seasons, if not "worst to first" seasons, compared to last year. That happens every single year folks. Just not in Buffalo, Detroit or Cleveland. For we fans of those franchises, it is Groundhogs Day year after losing year.

So sure Chan is a definite offensive guru, as advertised. But even if shell-shocked George Edwards is learning on the job and improving and he's allowed to stay, it is still on Buddy to find him some stud defenders to play his 3-4 or 4-3 or 1-9-1 or whatever the hell main defense they practice from the start of OTA's through the first game next September! I mean why did it take George and his fellow defensive coaches from draft day in April all the way to the 8th game of this year's regular season to finally realize that Chris Kelsay could not play OLB?

But I rantingly digress. I'm expecting Buddy to make a splash in FA and have a better draft featuring players from colleges every Bills fan has actually heard from this next off season, and I am really expecting Chan's Bills to compete for the playoffs next season, not three years from now!

Kudos to Coach Gailey, but let's put some of the credit where credit is due... Fitz. A good QB with the ability to read defenses and make quick throws makes your O-line better, your receivers better and gives your offensive coordinator more of the playbook to work with.

I loved in the post game presser when Fitz was asked about the sack and fumble... he immediately said it was his fault for holding the ball too long. Quick reads, quick throws... everyone looks better.

I agree. My sense is that this offesne is improved mainly because Fitz's ability to read, react, change a play and scramble. He's making Gailey look real good right now. However, we've only scored 2 offensive touchdowns in the past 8 quarters (against mediocre teams) and Gailey's OT play calling played the dominating role in those OT losses (6 possessions in OT with good field position and only 1 FG attempt).

:thumbsup: No argument here. I would rather not wait "a couple more years" to "get a defense", however. In this day and age in the NFL, when the Miami Dolphins can go from 1-15-0 one season to 11-5-0 division winners the very next season, as much as I like Gailey and his offensive success, his choice of DC sucked and Nix and Whaley and Modrak sucked this past off season finding players in FA and the draft that could contribute right away this year.

Keep in mind the labor situation. The FA class this year was much smaller than in years past because teams have been looking ahead to the post-CBA world and locking up talent long-term. And it's rare that rookies come in and contribute to such a degree that they dominate.