Jets player/trainer cheapshot on punt

ofiba

Why isn't it a penalty anymore for players and coaches to be on the field? Half the time coaches are out in the middle of the field when the play is on the other end, etc. Players are supposed to be behind the white line. That area is for officials! Also, it's sickening to see players walk on the field with 45 seconds left to shake hands. The game is 60 minutes of action not 59 minutes and 15 seconds followed by hugs and kisses for the last 45 seconds. I know the players do not want to get hurt but damn...they need my peewee coach who instilled in us character. You know, keep your helmet on when on the sidelines, mouth guard in at all times, all your pads in, chin strap buckled, in the players box (defense on one side, offense on the other, and the hold box where players about to take the field gathered).

The NFL is losing so much class and giving a horrible role model to todays kids starting in peewee.

Does anyone here remember the old "back-up-coaches?" The ones who would push the players back? We had them in HS, I have seen them in college and pro, as well. I remember NFL Films had a story about it, Marv was big on his back up coach.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think they are there to trip but i promise you they were there to impede. do you think they stand literally on the sideline when a jet gunner is trying to make it up the field?

I noticed in one of the pics, you've got about 5 guys (presumably coaches) all lined up, toeing the line. That is not the natural way a bunch of guys would stand to watch a game. They've gotta be there as you said to impede the gunners progress &/or incite a penalty if the gunner goes OB.

Love how this gets no penalty, yet celebrating at the goal line before falling into the endzone will get you an unsportsman penalty in the NFL

Have you ever worked as a referee? It's difficult enough to keep track of what's happening on the field of play. If it had been seen by the referee it certainly would have been a penalty.

Love how this gets no penalty, yet celebrating at the goal line before falling into the endzone will get you an unsportsman penalty in the NFL

Weird how all eyes are on the guy carrying the ball into the endzone, but the strength coach can get away with one.... oh wait, thats not weird.

i dont think they are there to trip but i promise you they were there to impede. do you think they stand literally on the sideline when a jet gunner is trying to make it up the field?

They are not literally standing on the sideline--they are 3 feet away. It was a bizarre cheap shot but the gunner is well out of bounds.

They are not literally standing on the sideline--they are 3 feet away. It was a bizarre cheap shot but the gunner is well out of bounds.

If they were an inch further up, they would be standing ON the line. It looks as though with his lean out he was hovering above the actual white line.

If they were an inch further up, they would be standing ON the line. It looks as though with his lean out he was hovering above the actual white line.

The Jests coaches are lined up right on the line, but that line is about 3 feet wide. They are on the outside of the line, not the field side.

With that said, running out of bounds on kick coverage is neither unusual nor illegal. This was a clear cheap-shot. Nothing mitigates it, IMO.

while they are on the right side of the line, is it really necessary and safe to all stand with their toes literally kissing it? You see players driven out of bounds all the time and some violent collisions. Its a very dangerous place and puts the players on the field at risk if everyone is going to stand as close as possible. At least the jerks on the sideline can see it coming and brace themselves.

The dumbass should have said it was an involuntary reflex move when he noticed the guy hauling ass right towards him. His apology is an admission of guilt.

"I'm sorry for DOING IT ON PURPOSE" is usually a pretty clear sign of guilt to me. Would you advise he lie about something that blatant and make the punishment worse for it?

I did not see him "trip" the guy. He was just bending his knees to brace for possible contact

Then he should have been trying to get OUT of the way, not lean into him. And I've seen people "brace for impact", that's not how you do it. He was extending his knee OUTWARD into the player. Are you trolling or are you really that dumb?

Edited by Buffalo Billy

The Jests coaches are lined up right on the line, but that line is about 3 feet wide. They are on the outside of the line, not the field side.

With that said, running out of bounds on kick coverage is neither unusual nor illegal. This was a clear cheap-shot. Nothing mitigates it, IMO.

It's risky for players and coaches to be that close. It's begging for not just an injury but a serious one. This year saints gunner Courtney roby ran into a member of the chain gang- bad stuff. Hospital time etc...

I get that it's not a thin line on the field, but 3 feet off the active field is too close to have a strength coach standing. Personnel should be far off the field and like a previous poster said - what happened to that buffer? It was there for a reason. If not intentional it was terribly negligent to have unneeded personnel that close to live bullets.