Kraig Urbik

JM57

Let's talk about this guy. Did anyone else not notice much of a drop off in play between Wood and Urbik over the last couple of weeks? At the very least, I think we have found our top interior lineman for 2011, but to be honest I think that as long as he bounces back well from his injury, he gives us the flexibility to replace Hangartner eventually, either with a Levitre-Wood-Urbik or Levitre-Urbik-Wood combo.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about this guy. Did anyone else not notice much of a drop off in play between Wood and Urbik over the last couple of weeks? At the very least, I think we have found our top interior lineman for 2011, but to be honest I think that as long as he bounces back well from his injury, he gives us the flexibility to replace Hangartner eventually, either with a Levitre-Wood-Urbik or Levitre-Urbik-Wood combo.

I couple of times you did see a drop off between wood and urbik. urbik is more of a big body who doesnt move that well. I would like to see levitre-wood-urbik to give us more power and use hang and a guy that can all 3 interior positions. He did that while he was in carolina. Also urbik played tackle in college so center def is not his natural posiition.

I couple of times you did see a drop off between wood and urbik. urbik is more of a big body who doesnt move that well. I would like to see levitre-wood-urbik to give us more power and use hang and a guy that can all 3 interior positions. He did that while he was in carolina. Also urbik played tackle in college so center def is not his natural posiition.

I agree I'd rather see Levitre-Wood-Urbik. I know he doesn't move as well as Wood/Levitre do, but at the same time, I don't think whoever we've been plopping in at RT moves as well as Bell either, so that's something that needs to be worked on. Levitre and Bell provide us with a very mobile left side of the line capable of pulling and getting out in space, but that part of the run game isn't nearly as strong on the right side, nothing against Wood, more just the turds we've been churning out at RT.

Great post ... I noticed the same thing ... Urbik is bigger and with guys like Woolfork and Jenkins in the division ... bigger is better. I would move the natural center (and leader) Wood to center and put Urbik at guard. Bell is a capable athlete and would grow into a solid RT ... then draft your LT and the line is much better. As far as Urbik, the Steelers didn't want to lose him ... he is a big Wisconsin boy ... and I think he needs to be in thee lineup. Just my two cents.

I'm rooting for Urbik -- he's from the town where I live, and my neighbors know him and his family. I've never met him, but they say he's a good kid. :thumbsup:

Did I read that he got hurt against the Vikings?

You did. He slid from RG to C after Hangman injured his knee in the first, then hurt his knee in the 4th. Levitre moved to C, the snap was fumbled and the Bills drive stalled on the 1 :oops:

I was very impressed with Urbick......at 330 pounds he is a absolutely mauler in the middle and his pass protection was pretty darn good.

I kept thinking of this Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbick, Love combo and brining in a free agent veteran swing man in the offseason and good that might look.

Then make the rest of this draft a total defensive draft.

Great post ... I noticed the same thing ... Urbik is bigger and with guys like Woolfork and Jenkins in the division ... bigger is better. I would move the natural center (and leader) Wood to center and put Urbik at guard. Bell is a capable athlete and would grow into a solid RT ... then draft your LT and the line is much better. As far as Urbik, the Steelers didn't want to lose him ... he is a big Wisconsin boy ... and I think he needs to be in thee lineup. Just my two cents.

LT is where athletic, finesse players find themselves generally. RT is generally decent at PB, but stronger in the run game.

As far as Urbik, the Steelers didn't want to lose him ...

That's not necessarily true.

There are two reasons he ended up in Buffalo. One was that Whaley was the guy who primarily scouted him and encouraged the Stillers to bring him in, so there's indeed a connection here. The second was that Urbik did not get along with Tomlin; he didn't care for the coach's "Tomlinisms" and the personality conflict was mutual. He wasn't destined to be in Pittsburgh long and the Bills took advantage of it.

Urbik is a good backup and cudos to Nix for finding him as he is a guy that this team could use going forward. Now I wouldn't put Urbik as a starter his value is more so as a backup swing guard. All in all I think keeping Urbik for next year will lead us to needing one less backup for the O-line next year.

Why to we have to settle for other teams cut players as our starters? Why cant we sign Logan Mankins - maybe the NFLs best G - and play him at RG, then move Wood to center. How about we actually move towards WINNING the division, and not LOSING it. Lets get dominant along the OL, and not serviceable. Lets get better instead of treading water. We need to significantly improve, not just get by with what we already have :thumbdown:

Why to we have to settle for other teams cut players as our starters? Why cant we sign Logan Mankins - maybe the NFLs best G - and play him at RG, then move Wood to center. How about we actually move towards WINNING the division, and not LOSING it. Lets get dominant along the OL, and not serviceable. Lets get better instead of treading water. We need to significantly improve, not just get by with what we already have :thumbdown:

The Bills can't get big time free agents to sign here. You have to work with what you have. The Bills need to draft well to get a great core of players to build around as well as develop late round picks and other teams cast offs. If you can find a quality backup guard like Urbik off a teams practice squad then its a good thing as teams need depth.

A guy like Mankins isn't going to come to Buffalo as even if the Bills pony up the most money another team will come up with a similar figure and offer a better situation to win.

We could do a lot worse at the center position !! The Hangman held up his end of the bargin & between him & Fitz i think they work pretty good together .

That.s not saying that we don't have a better combo on the team , if nothing else Hangartener would be good to be kept around for a real good depth player for occasions just likr=e the one the teams in right now !!

The Bills can't get big time free agents to sign here. You have to work with what you have. The Bills need to draft well to get a great core of players to build around as well as develop late round picks and other teams cast offs. If you can find a quality backup guard like Urbik off a teams practice squad then its a good thing as teams need depth.

A guy like Mankins isn't going to come to Buffalo as even if the Bills pony up the most money another team will come up with a similar figure and offer a better situation to win.

I understand and I like Urbik - I was astonished he when he was cut. But expecting the Bills to draft well may be the dumbest thing I could do right now. Relying on other teams cast offs isn't going to beat the Jets or Patriots. We need to get some PB caliber players in here like when Spikes/Sam Adams came in to take our D to the top. We sucked back then and those guys signed. Buffalo the city hasn't changed since then. Those guys came here because we recruited them and they liked our promise and fan base. Nowadays its like the Bills dont even try. Of course they wont come here if we dont even try.

Not every guy in the NFL wants his own reality TV show like ocho-dope-o. Mankins lives on a huge ranch in bumble f*** Montana and loves hunting - sounds more like a Buffalo guy than a Boston, NYC, or Miami guy. Joe Thomas (yes I know not a FA just an example) skipped attending the draft to go fishing with his pops. Not everyone has a huge ego, some of them are small town farm boys who would love the blue collar Buffalo. Some guy would want to come here if we ever committed to winning and went out after these guys and made them feel wanted. Nix sleeping when FA opens is NOT the way to do it.