Wilcots: Fitzpatrick the Answer

JoeF

The Bills have been ALMOST winning games for over a decade now. Almost doesn't cut it. Bad teams find ways to LOSE games -- which this team, yes, this 2010 team, has done repeatedly. Let's not sugar coat this. This is a BAD football team on both sides of the ball. There's some talent in spots, but overall this team does not have the players to compete and win in the rugged AFC East. They play hard. They're coached well. They just can't win games.

Fitz's play has shown this is a QB driven league. This is a passing league. He's an upgrade from what we've had the past few years, but he's an above average QB. Nothing more. I'm fine with him starting next season while the number 1 pick learns on the bench. But you simply cannot pass up drafting a Franchise QB if one's available when the Bills pick. Above all else, it's the most important position on the field and Fitz is NOT a franchise QB.

Sorry.

Again my point has been missed here. Am I writing in Swahili? I am NOT arguing feel-good "almost" wins. I am arguing that players need to be judged outside of the won-loss record because when everything is couched in the won-loss record you miss how good or bad a player really is.

PTR

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Fitz. I don't think we need to change QBs, as I don't think he's the reason we are losing.

But fact is, he isn't winning us games, so he, along with every other player on the team, and the coaches, should be held accountable and shouldn't have the least bit of job security.

Go win some games guys, the fans have been waiting.

I agree about the wins. But come on. What does Fitz have to do? He got us to FG range to win the KC game only have Lindell miss a makable FG. We know he can make it because he did before the Time Out. Then against the Steelers he threw one pass to Johnson that hit him in the hands and was then picked off by Palmolive for what would have been a TD putting us ahead by 4 with 3:00 to play. Then he throws a perfect pass again in OT only to be dropped. Against the Ravens we were moving the ball until Sean Nelson fumbled. The Bears game should have gone to OT, but Lindell missed an extra freakin' point.

Of course he could have done more, but he's done enough to win. He needs some help from the rest of the team to stop choking.

I don't know if "several" is accurate. A look at the past 20 years of NFL Super Bowl winning QBS. Let's qualify "marquee" as top 5ish in the league or so:

2010 - Drew Brees (marquee)

2009 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2008 - Eli Manning (borderline)

2007 - Peyton Manning (marquee)

2006 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2005 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2004 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2003 - Brad Johnson (no)

2002 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2001 - Trent Dilfer (no)

2000 - Kurt Warner (marquee)

1999 - John Elway (marquee)

1998 - John Elway (marquee)

1997 - Brett Favre (marquee)

1996 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1995 - Steve Young (marquee)

1994 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1993 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1992 - Mark Rypien (no)

1991 - Jeff Hostetler (no)

1990 - Joe Montana (marquee)

That's 14 marquee, 4 not marquee, 3 borderline. I really think that all things considered, Roethlisberger is probably in the marquee list, or at least was during the Super Bowl seasons. But even without those 2 extra games, its pretty obvious that having one of the best QBs in the league is a significant help. Now there are other factors that help that. Montana had a great scheme, Aikman and Elway had great complimentary casts, Brady had a brilliant coach and an army of extras. Having a great team around you is in part what makes you a great QB.

It does seem as though things have become a little easier without a top flite QB. I think this is because defenses have caught up and in some respects passed offenses in the NFL. We're definitely in a league right now of hyper parity where being tremendously good at one aspect of the game can put a team in contention if they get hot at the right time. I am starting to wonder if that trend is shifting back a little bit. Last year we saw a Super Bowl with teams with comparatively soft defenses to what one might consider for a championship team.

Well Kurt Warner certainly wasn't 'marquee' when he was a bag-boy at HiLo markets after being undrafted, then rejected by the Packers and the rest of NFL - and Brady* certainly wasn't 'marquee' as the Patriots* 6th-round draft pick and 4th-string backup to Drew Bledsoe, Favre wasn't 'marquee' when Falcons coach Jerry Glanville swore ' it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game '.

Those guys evolved into 'marquee' QBs, after having the opportunity to develop in a competent system. So what's to say the same can't happen with Fitz? Despite my erroneous misgivings about him in the preseason, he's certainly shown potential for greatness - and seems to get even better with more playing time. What's to say, given more playing time to develop gain experience, and a full-season as starting QB from the outset - with no ersatz ' open competition ' ( :rolleyes: ) between Fitz and 3 other QBs in next years OTAs, camp, and preseason - that Ryan Fitzpatrick can't be one of the NFL's great, ' marquee ' QBs???

Nothing at all, I think. The Bills may already have their ' marquee QB ' - JMO, though. It will be very interesting to see what Buddy does in the upcoming draft if one of those perceived ' marquee ' QBs is available when the Bills pick. It will certainly give us a good idea how they feel about Fitzpatrick's ability and potential for greatness.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Well Kurt Warner certainly wasn't 'marquee' when he was a bag-boy at HiLo markets after being undrafted, then rejected by the Packers and the rest of NFL - and Brady* certainly wasn't 'marquee' as the Patriots* 6th-round draft pick and 4th-string backup to Drew Bledsoe, Favre wasn't 'marquee' when Falcons coach Jerry Glanville swore ' it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game '.

Word! and you missed Steve Young - BUST with Tampa Bay, then "career backup" to Joe Montana. HA!

Warner's career from Pro-Football-Ref: Linky

Here is a guy with the quickest release ever seen and "eyes in the back of his head" ability to make tacklers miss.

I've seen him duck and let a DL fly over his back, missing the tackle then straighten and throw -- all the while looking downfield like a little computer.

2001, the OL lost some players, lost a key outlet (TE). Interceptions climbed. He's through, he's a gunslinger, he's too inaccurate.

2004-2006 he's a quality backup now, and that's all.

2007-2009 Did he suddenly drink from the fountain of Youth?

Or did he get another chance on a team with enough of an OL in front of him and enough quality targets?

It's a team game. The team makes a difference. Fitzy would be looking a lot better right now with the DL a bit further out of his face for just a bit longer.

I do think he might also benefit from learning to throw in gloves, it helped Warner.

Those guys evolved into 'marquee' QBs, after having the opportunity to develop in a competent system. So what's to say the same can't happen with Fitz? Despite my erroneous misgivings about him in the preseason, he's certainly shown potential for greatness - and seems to get even better with more playing time. What's to say, given more playing time to develop gain experience, and a full-season as starting QB from the outset - with no ersatz ' open competition ' ( :rolleyes: ) between Fitz and 3 other QBs in next years OTAs, camp, and preseason - that Ryan Fitzpatrick can't be one of the NFL's great, ' marquee ' QBs???

Nothing at all, I think.

You've got a great point and I hope you're right. Fitz and Stevie have chemistry 'cuz they spent a year playing catch on the practice squad.

More reps with Evans will surely help - Fitz made a very tactful comment at one point, one interpretation was he and Evans aren't always on the same page.

Me, I think what stands between him is a quality TE and a better RT (or evolution of current players), a quality backup LT.

And a shift in the WR attitude -- less drops from Stevie, more 'get up and go' and a bit of attitude from Evans

("if I can't catch it I'm going to tackle you and rip your right arm off before I let you catch it!")

I agree about the wins. But come on. What does Fitz have to do? He got us to FG range to win the KC game only have Lindell miss a makable FG. We know he can make it because he did before the Time Out. Then against the Steelers he threw one pass to Johnson that hit him in the hands and was then picked off by Palmolive for what would have been a TD putting us ahead by 4 with 3:00 to play. Then he throws a perfect pass again in OT only to be dropped. Against the Ravens we were moving the ball until Sean Nelson fumbled. The Bears game should have gone to OT, but Lindell missed an extra freakin' point.

Of course he could have done more, but he's done enough to win. He needs some help from the rest of the team to stop choking.

He's also made his share of critical mistakes as well. He's not immune, unfortunately.

I'm not saying "OMG HE SUXX", I'm saying... he's one of many players that need to improve on this team, before we start winning games. He's not one of many players that need replacing ASAP.

He's also made his share of critical mistakes as well. He's not immune, unfortunately.

I'm not saying "OMG HE SUXX", I'm saying... he's one of many players that need to improve on this team, before we start winning games. He's not one of many players that need replacing ASAP.

fitzy would benefit great from our running game improving. we are near bottom of league in rush yards and that needs to change to have a good team. i think if we can get freddy and spiller going next year you could see fitzy pick defenses apart even more. i am warming up to the idea that he could be a solid qb for this team but I am not sold yet.

Saying we need a "franchise" :sick: QB b/c of finding ways to lose games might make you feel like you've found the answer without having to think, but it's foolish. Fitz is not the problem here. If SJ could catch, you don't have the 4th Qtr int, and he throws a deep game winning pass in OT and he's a hero. If Nelson hangs on to the ball in Balt we probably win that game and Fitz is the hero.

He hasn't been perfect, but neither is Peyton !@#$ing Manning. Some of you guys, and granted it's only a few, need to slowly remove your heads from your rectums. Then again, don't. Explaining the folly of your thought (or lack there of) is entertaining.

Saying we need a "franchise" :sick: QB b/c of finding ways to lose games might make you feel like you've found the answer without having to think, but it's foolish. Fitz is not the problem here. If SJ could catch, you don't have the 4th Qtr int, and he throws a deep game winning pass in OT and he's a hero. If Nelson hangs on to the ball in Balt we probably win that game and Fitz is the hero.

He hasn't been perfect, but neither is Peyton !@#$ing Manning. Some of you guys, and granted it's only a few, need to slowly remove your heads from your rectums. Then again, don't. Explaining the folly of your thought (or lack there of) is entertaining.

+1 The expectations of some people are beyond reality. Real players don't come with Madden scores.

PTR

Fitz has most definitely earned the right to be The Bills Starter in 2011...Assuming he continues to do what he's doing now...And I think he will...I doubt very seriously any Rookie could come in next year and perform better than Fitz is right now...Plus one can assume Fitz will grow with Gailey and maybe even get better as the ground game and O-Line improve...

That being said beyond 2011 I'm hoping the Bills proceed with caution, and I would not be opposed whatsoever to taking a QB high in the 2011 Draft...While Fitz is 9th in TD Passes this year he's also 10th in INT's. Surprisingly he's 27th in Completion %, and 20th in QB Rating overall...I know numbers never tell the whole story and I don't want to take anything away from Fitz because obviously he's playing well right now...But clearly it's become a Passers League and the bar is being raised everyday...At this point Fitz could conceivably go either way career-wise...And if you don't have a massive belief in Brian Brohm I think it's best to plan for the future at QB just in case... Because this could very well be a case where Fitz is playing so much better now than what we've seen with Edwards and Losman over the years that even if it was not good enough in the long run it's impossible to tell by comparison...

I'm simply saying advance with caution...Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst...That's all... B-)

+1 The expectations of some people are beyond reality. Real players don't come with Madden scores.

PTR

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Impossible expectations of perfection with immediate gratification in all things. Players aren't good unless they're headlining SportsCenter every night, have great Madden scores and are in the top of some scrolling fantasy football graphic. Stats and public perception rule the day and be damned if you make a single mistake.

I began the year upset that Fitz was #2; thinking it should be Brohm. Because we knew what Fitz was and I hoped Brohm could develop into something more. I was thrilled to see Edwards benched! but still not happy to see Fitz get the nod. I was truly hoping he'd be benched in about 2 weeks as well. Again, we had all seen what Fitz could do - he was a career backup at best. Again, I wanted Brohm in there; not so much because I thought he was good, but more because I thought he offered the promise of better play in the future.

However, over the course of the season, Fitz (or maybe it was just his beard!) has completely changed my mind. He's doing everything, everything you want your starting QB to do. He's leading the team, he's making the players around him better, he's throwing the ball all over, dissecting defenses, leading the way on comebacks, throwing blocks, hanging in there against tough defenses (when people keep saying he'll get killed I might add), and most importantly, he appears to be getting better almost every week.

Could we do better than Fitz with a top draft pick? Perhaps. But, I'm about tired of the hope and promise of the next, unproven guy. Fitz has shown that he has all the tools needed and there's really isn't any reason to believe that he won't get better next year. The team is not losing because of him. Furthermore, Brohm is doing a great job as the backup, as well. Why draft a QB early just to replace someone that's already doing his job quite well? It makes no sense. We have too many holes and needs, IMO, to waste a pick on a player that in all likelihood won't see the field for 2-3 years.

If Nix is absolutely convinced that the next Manning, Elway, Kelly, Montana, Marino are in the draft then I might change my mind. But, I think we all know that's a long shot at best. What's the appropriate expression here??... a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

1. Fitz has shown that he has all the tools needed and there's really isn't any reason to believe that he won't get better next year. The team is not losing because of him. 2. Furthermore, Brohm is doing a great job as the backup, as well. 3. Why draft a QB early just to replace someone that's already doing his job quite well? It makes no sense.

1. This is the BIG difference for those that think Fitz is the answer and those that want a Franchise QB in the draft like Luck. In my opinion Fitz has NOT shown he has all the tools needed to be a franchise QB. His play has been head and shoulders above expectations (including my own), but he's inacurate at the most inopportune times. That's not a "random" thing. I've played sports for far too long to believe that. Big time players make big time plays when it counts most. Fitz does not. He does the opposite. Not every time of course, but more often than not. And let's not pretend this is a young whippersnapper. He's a veteran QB who should NOT be making those mistakes. But he does.

2. This is where you totally lose me -- HOW has Brohm shown he's doing a great job as the backup??? The guy hasn't seen the field?!

:wallbash:

3. You draft a Franchise QB because this team hasn't had one since Kelly and you simply cannot win a Super Bowl in today's NFL without a Franchise QB. It cannot be done. I'm sorry. This is a passing league now, it hasn't been done in nearly a DECADE. A decade. I don't want to make the playoffs. I want a ring. That's all that matters. And this team won't win one with Fitz under center. So it's not a WASTED pick ... was Aaron Rodgers a wasted pick for GB when they had Favre?

The problem is that Fitz's play has been SO great in comparison to the utter abortion that was Trent Edwards and JP that people think he's better than he really is. He's not.

/rant

1. This is the BIG difference for those that think Fitz is the answer and those that want a Franchise QB in the draft like Luck. In my opinion Fitz has NOT shown he has all the tools needed to be a franchise QB. His play has been head and shoulders above expectations (including my own), but he's inacurate at the most inopportune times. That's not a "random" thing. I've played sports for far too long to believe that. Big time players make big time plays when it counts most. Fitz does not. He does the opposite. Not every time of course, but more often than not. And let's not pretend this is a young whippersnapper. He's a veteran QB who should NOT be making those mistakes. But he does.

2. This is where you totally lose me -- HOW has Brohm shown he's doing a great job as the backup??? The guy hasn't seen the field?!

3. You draft a Franchise QB because this team hasn't had one since Kelly and you simply cannot win a Super Bowl in today's NFL without a Franchise QB. It cannot be done. I'm sorry. This is a passing league now, it hasn't been done in nearly a DECADE. A decade. I don't want to make the playoffs. I want a ring. That's all that matters. And this team won't win one with Fitz under center. So it's not a WASTED pick ... was Aaron Rodgers a wasted pick for GB when they had Favre?

The problem is that Fitz's play has been SO great in comparison to the utter abortion that was Trent Edwards and JP that people think he's better than he really is. He's not.

/rant

You're right, it's a darn shame that Fitzpatrick couldn't have been more accurate on that pass to Johnson in overtime.

You're right, it's a darn shame that Fitzpatrick couldn't have been more accurate on that pass to Johnson in overtime.

I didn't say he doesn't make great throws from time to time. Sometimes even in clutch situations.

I said more often than not, he is inacurrate at the most inopportune times. I.E. he's not clutch.

And I know that it seems like I'm ragging on Fitz. I'm not. He is what he is, and that's a fun to watch, very solid Number 2 QB. What he's not is a Franchise QB. And I believe %1000 that you cannot win a Super Bowl in today's NFL without a Franchise QB. People here are so starved for good QB play, it's been so long since they've seen a good one, that they are willing to jump blindly on the Fitz bandwagon without seeing the forest through the trees.

And that will do nothing more than keep this team at the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by tgreg99

he's inacurate at the most inopportune times. That's not a "random" thing. I've played sports for far too long to believe that. Big time players make big time plays when it counts most. Fitz does not. He does the opposite. Not every time of course, but more often than not. And let's not pretend this is a young whippersnapper. He's a veteran QB who should NOT be making those mistakes. But he does.

Guess you missed the game Sunday where Fitz made 2 clutch passes that would have put us up by 4 with 3:00 to play or out and out win, but both were dropped by SJ. Guess you missed the Cincy game also. Did you also miss the Ravens game where he brought us back from 10 down late in the 4th. We were moving the ball until Fitz threw a nice pass to Nelson for a 1st down only to be fumbled by Nelson. Did you also miss the KC game where Fitz got us into position for a makeable FG only to be missed (choked) by our kicker?

What if Andrew Luck threw that same pass to SJ on Sunday. Would you say that he chokes when the game is on the line too?

I keep reading that Ftiz chokes up when the game is on the line. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Edited by reddogblitz

Guess you missed the game Sunday where Fitz made 2 clutch passes that would have put us up by 4 with 3:00 to play or out and out win, but both were dropped by SJ. Guess you missed the Cincy game also. Did you also miss the Ravens game where he brought us back from 10 down late in the 4th. We were moving the ball until Fitz threw a nice pass to Nelson for a 1st down only to be fumbled by Nelson. Did you also miss the KC game where Fitz got us into position for a makeable FG only to be missed (choked) by our kicker?

What if Andrew Luck threw that same pass to SJ on Sunday. Would you say that he chokes when the game is on the line too?

I keep reading that Ftiz chokes up when the game is on the line. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Then you're not watching close enough I guess.

It's fine. Everyone has their own opinion. But people here are so desperate for a good QB that they're missing the bigger picture. It's cool. This team won't win a Super Bowl with Fitz under center. If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. But if this team gets a chance to land a franchise QB in this draft, they have to take it. Not doing so will doom this franchise to 10 more years of mediocrity or worse.

It's fine. Everyone has their own opinion. But people here are so desperate for a good QB that they're missing the bigger picture. It's cool. This team won't win a Super Bowl with Fitz under center. If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. But if this team gets a chance to land a franchise QB in this draft, they have to take it. Not doing so will doom this franchise to 10 more years of mediocrity or worse.

Maybe if you could site some examples of the choking moments then it would enlighten me to your way of thinking ...

I've sited plenty examples of non chokes.

This choke argument reminds me of the "garbage time" argument after Fitz' first few games. Don't hear that too much anymore. After a few more games like the last 3 or so and I suspect the choke argument will have the same fate.

Again, I need specific examples of choking at crunch time.

I didn't say he doesn't make great throws from time to time. Sometimes even in clutch situations.

I said more often than not, he is inacurrate at the most inopportune times. I.E. he's not clutch.

And I know that it seems like I'm ragging on Fitz. I'm not. He is what he is, and that's a fun to watch, very solid Number 2 QB. What he's not is a Franchise QB. And I believe %1000 that you cannot win a Super Bowl in today's NFL without a Franchise QB. People here are so starved for good QB play, it's been so long since they've seen a good one, that they are willing to jump blindly on the Fitz bandwagon without seeing the forest through the trees.

And that will do nothing more than keep this team at the bottom of the barrel.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is just as good of a QB as Eli Manning. The difference is that Fitzpatrick had a much longer learning curve. If you judge these two guys on this season, then you will see no difference between the two. Actually Fitzpatrick looks better than him. If Eli Manning can win a Superbowl, then so too can Ryan Fitzpatrick. Give him a defense that chases down QBs and gets turnovers and this team will be extremely hard to beat.

Your notion that he's a #2 QB is just plain stupid. The guy has played solid QB over the last 11 games he's started. This isn't some "fluke" streak anymore. You're painfully slow in recognizing what the intelligent followers of football already know. I count 11 NFL teams who would gladly take Fitzpatrick over their current QB situation and make him their starter.

It's so ironic that you used the "forest through the trees" metaphor.

However, over the course of the season, Fitz (or maybe it was just his beard!) has completely changed my mind. He's doing everything, everything you want your starting QB to do. He's leading the team, he's making the players around him better, he's throwing the ball all over, dissecting defenses, leading the way on comebacks, throwing blocks, hanging in there against tough defenses (when people keep saying he'll get killed I might add), and most importantly, he appears to be getting better almost every week.

Could we do better than Fitz with a top draft pick? Perhaps. But, I'm about tired of the hope and promise of the next, unproven guy.

This is exactly how I feel. Thank you.

Yes, people like you are so desperate for a "Franchise QB" that they are missing the bigger picture. People like you are completely unwilling to believe that said QB could come any way but with a glamorous #1 pick. Completely unwilling to believe that a player like Fitz could have been initially misjudged or could improve beyond what he once was. Completely willing to ignore all team's defensive needs and to blow up all the team's offensive progress this year in the name of chasing some mythological savior. Open. Your. Eyes.

Edited by SoFFacet

/rant

1. I'd like to see some facts backing up the claim that "more often than not" Fitz makes the negative play at the key time. There's plays you or I could point to either way. I think that's his biggest "flaw" at this point - his accuracy or consistency in certain situations. But, I think it's a biased view that can draw the conclusion that more often than not he makes the bad play. Again, until I see some factual data to back that up, I can't buy it.

Also, there's no way you can know that if the WRs become more consistent or if the line becomes more consistent that Fitz won't also become more consistent. How many of his bad throws are because he can't step into the throw properly? How many drops have the WRs had? How much of the bad play has been a WR and him not being quite on the same page? Certainly, his inaccuracies are partially to blame; but it's also certainly partially laid at the feet of the other 10 guys on the field.

2. That's exactly my point. A good backup sits on the bench, listens into the head phones, and talks things over with the starter on the sideline helping him decipher the defense. Brohm so far has done quite well in all of those areas. You don't need a Montana as your #2 QB. So why waste a top 10 draft pick on it? If your back up is getting significant playing time... then you need a new #1. Maybe you luck out like the Pats* did with Brady.. .but they wasted a 6th round pick on him. If Nix wants to take a late round pick QB.. I got no problem with it. But, I'm not sure why we need to waste a top 10 pick on a guy because he looks good on the bench and might be a good player in 3 years.

3. I fear you're still biased against Fitz. There's absolutely no reason to say with certainty that he can not be a franchise QB. Also, there's absolutely no guarantee that anyone you draft is going to become a franchise QB. Sure drafting Luck #1 overall may seems like the right thing, but I'm sure the Chargers thought that with Leaf. Hell, I'm sure they thought that with Rivers - how many Super Bowls has he won for them even? Lots of guys get drafted high, but many of them don't become franchise QBs and win Super Bowls.

Right now Fitz is performing in top half of pretty well all the QB stats. What more would you like to see from the Bills' QB? Wins? Sure we all would, but the the QB does not single handedly win games. Take the best QB of the last 50 years and have him throw that pass to Stevie and guess what... Stevie still drops it. So, why can't Fitz be our guy?

As I said in my post, if you're sure the next Elway, Kelly, Montana is there; yes, draft him. But, if you're not sure, why waste a high pick when you could get a player for a position of true need?

Actually, if you watched the Stanford/Oregon game, Andrew Luck does choke when the game is on the line! B-)