Wilcots: Fitzpatrick the Answer

JoeF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want about him, but you can't argue that his stock is rising and his resume is growing. Some Bills fans better be careful about being too gung ho over drafting a new QB. We have a true gamer behind center right now, and he can run this offense. If we run this guy out of town, we may really regret it. I get excited to see this kid play every week lately. I like the guy.

a true leader for the Buffalow Beals.

:lol: :lol:

Great impression lol

At the risk of being called captain obvious ... Fitz has really grown on me the last few weeks. I have crossed QB of fthe list of Bills draft needs. I am very happy that the Bills have options in the upcoming draft given they do not have to reach on a QB. The offense seems to be getting better and better by the week. If we see a turnaround on the D who knows where we will end up next season. January to August will be a long, slow time period next year.

I don't care much for talking heads but Wilcots is one of the few that deserves respect. He has a tremendous grasp of what is happening on the field and spends a significant amount of time watching film to increase his awareness of current NFL players. Unlike most guys who are focused primarily on promoting themselves, Solomon loves the game itself and always values substance over style. While I don't always agree with the guy, I do always respect his opinion. These comments are actually a pretty significant feather in Fitz's cap.

What is shocking to me is that these are mostly Dick(less) Jauron's players. The man missed his calling as a hypnotist because he had 53 men in a daze week after week. Can anyone tell me Chan Gailey doesn't know what he's doing?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I like Fitz, and if you look back over the past 20 years, several teams have won a SB without a marquis quarterback.

He might not be a marquis quarterback, but he is becoming a marquee quarterback. His numbers are great! If he continues to play this way, he will be every bit the TV attraction that Drew Brees is. I bet Jerry Jones would pay him a bundle to play for the Cowboys. Fitz would be a huge star if he played in Dallas (he wouldn't even have to win much, look at Tony Romo), and could "date" all the Hollywood starlets he wanted. It'd be TMZ and Oprah for "RFP" (that should be his new moniker), and tools across the USofA would start sporting RFP beards while they trawl their local watering holes!

But fortunately, RFP is way too cool for that.

Very good article. Could Fitzy be evolving into a Peyton Manning but without all the accuracy? He def has the intelligence and smarts to make the line adjustments and disect D's almost seemingly on the fly as Peyton. Fitz just needs more time to prove long term consistency at a high level. It is not out of the question he could be something special with more coaching by Chan.

Reminds me of John Brody - SF 49ers late 1960's. His career began blossoming just as the 9er's drafted George Mira, the hot QB out of Univ of Miami.

Whoa, not unlike myself, you've witnessed more than just a few fall seasons. I liked Brodie and the 49ers when I was a lad.

Are you guys kidding me? Fitz is a star QB right now. Will Peyton block downfield for his RB ? Hell no. I think Rivers has blocked downfield. Brady doesn't. Fitz is the best QB in the NFL right now! Luck who? Forget Luck we have Fitz.

I have NEVER seen Manning take a hit like the one Harrison laid on RFP last game. He is mild mannered and loose, smart as (actually, why be modest, SMARTER than) anyone in the league, and tough as nails! These Bill could use a top shelf right tackle to keep RFP's head connected to his body though. He is getting hit WAY too much, and way too hard.

Hopefully the refs will start to give him "the star treatment" that he (and Brady & Manning) deserves.

Very good article. Could Fitzy be evolving into a Peyton Manning but without all the accuracy? He def has the intelligence and smarts to make the line adjustments and disect D's almost seemingly on the fly as Peyton. Fitz just needs more time to prove long term consistency at a high level. It is not out of the question he could be something special with more coaching by Chan.

I would bet that if he had the kind of protection that Manning has, he would be much more accurate. Manning doesn't get a quarter of the abuse that RFP gets. He has guys in his face. I'm not saying he is going to reach the Manning level, I'm saying he will be even better if thye upgrade the O-line a couple of notches. I don't think they need to spend the 1st pick on a lineman, but there are ways to get a couple better guys in to play.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I agree Mathew. Improving the O-line would do wonders for Fitzy's progress. At this point he reminds me of a tough but more inteligent Stan Humphries. Fitz and Chan seem to really complement each other. Chan seems almost giddy at times having a qb like Fitz.

I like Fitz, and if you look back over the past 20 years, several teams have won a SB without a marquis quarterback.

I don't know if "several" is accurate. A look at the past 20 years of NFL Super Bowl winning QBS. Let's qualify "marquee" as top 5ish in the league or so:

2010 - Drew Brees (marquee)

2009 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2008 - Eli Manning (borderline)

2007 - Peyton Manning (marquee)

2006 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2005 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2004 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2003 - Brad Johnson (no)

2002 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2001 - Trent Dilfer (no)

2000 - Kurt Warner (marquee)

1999 - John Elway (marquee)

1998 - John Elway (marquee)

1997 - Brett Favre (marquee)

1996 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1995 - Steve Young (marquee)

1994 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1993 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1992 - Mark Rypien (no)

1991 - Jeff Hostetler (no)

1990 - Joe Montana (marquee)

That's 14 marquee, 4 not marquee, 3 borderline. I really think that all things considered, Roethlisberger is probably in the marquee list, or at least was during the Super Bowl seasons. But even without those 2 extra games, its pretty obvious that having one of the best QBs in the league is a significant help. Now there are other factors that help that. Montana had a great scheme, Aikman and Elway had great complimentary casts, Brady had a brilliant coach and an army of extras. Having a great team around you is in part what makes you a great QB.

It does seem as though things have become a little easier without a top flite QB. I think this is because defenses have caught up and in some respects passed offenses in the NFL. We're definitely in a league right now of hyper parity where being tremendously good at one aspect of the game can put a team in contention if they get hot at the right time. I am starting to wonder if that trend is shifting back a little bit. Last year we saw a Super Bowl with teams with comparatively soft defenses to what one might consider for a championship team.

Edited by wardigital

I don't know if "several" is accurate. A look at the past 20 years of NFL Super Bowl winning QBS. Let's qualify "marquee" as top 5ish in the league or so:

2010 - Drew Brees (marquee)

2009 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2008 - Eli Manning (borderline)

2007 - Peyton Manning (marquee)

2006 - Ben Roethlisberger (borderline)

2005 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2004 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2003 - Brad Johnson (no)

2002 - Tom Brady (marquee)

2001 - Trent Dilfer (no)

2000 - Kurt Warner (marquee)

1999 - John Elway (marquee)

1998 - John Elway (marquee)

1997 - Brett Favre (marquee)

1996 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1995 - Steve Young (marquee)

1994 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1993 - Troy Aikman (marquee)

1992 - Mark Rypien (no)

1991 - Jeff Hostetler (no)

1990 - Joe Montana (marquee)

That's 14 marquee, 4 not marquee, 4 borderline. I really think that all things considered, Roethlisberger is probably in the marquee list, or at least was during the Super Bowl seasons. But even without those 2 extra games, its pretty obvious that having one of the best QBs in the league is a significant help. Now there are other factors that help that. Montana had a great scheme, Aikman and Elway had great complimentary casts, Brady had a brilliant coach and an army of extras. Having a great team around you is in part what makes you a great QB.

It does seem as though things have become a little easier without a top flite QB. I think this is because defenses have caught up and in some respects passed offenses in the NFL. We're definitely in a league right now of hyper parity where being tremendously good at one aspect of the game can put a team in contention if they get hot at the right time. I am starting to wonder if that trend is shifting back a little bit. Last year we saw a Super Bowl with teams with comparatively soft defenses to what one might consider for a championship team.

I am 100% with the "we really should have a "Marquee Quarterback". 100%!

The cool thing is, I think RFP could very easily be one!

I have been posting that these last games (starting with the Steelers) would be the ones that will let everyone know if RFP is the guy. Beating Detroit and Cincy is nice, but I need more evidence against some top flight teams, and there are some tough teams ahead. I am beginning to believe RFP is not a fluke. We will know by the end of the season, so it's no big deal, no need to bicker (just don't tell me you need to get a look at Brian Brohm first).

Edited by Matthews' Bag