Is David Nelson basically the Bills Tight End?

JPicc2114

For what D. Nelson does, he seems to play the role of the tight end in the Bills offense. He never goes deep and just does 5 to 10 yard curls and slants. So people saying that the Bills need to get the tight end more involved, what would the tight end do that David Nelson isn't doing now?

No, he is what he is, a possession #4 WR and a pretty good one. Put it this way, he doesn't do anything a TE needs to do to be a good TE in this league other than catch short passes in seams over the middle, although for a WR he is a pretty good blocker (that does not at all translate to being a good enough blocker to play TE)

IMO, we really need to weed-out these lanky, one-dimensional tight ends all together. We need tight ends who can both block effectively and catch passes. This would add another dimension to our offense. I know, I know....we run a rootin tootin spread offense and have no need for power formations. It would be nice, however, to be able to line up in a power set and be a legitimate threat to throw the ball. Keep the defense honest in those short yardage situations.

Shawn Nelson....too one dimensional.

David Martin....below average blocker, essentially useless as a receiver.

Time to move on.

I also thought that about him basically being the Tight End for the offense, but could he bulk up enough to be a legit TE? I doubt it, he just doesn't have the body-type. Keep him where he is, he may be the most consistent receiver on the team.

It would be nice, however, to be able to line up in a power set and be a legitimate threat to throw the ball. Keep the defense honest in those short yardage situations.

Time to move on.

When Stevie Johnson dropped the game-winning TD pass, the Bills were lined up in a "power" (i.e, running) formation on first down and sent only one WR (Johnson) out on a route. He was wide open. Is that enough of a "legitimate threat" for ya?

Time to move on.

When Stevie Johnson dropped the game-winning TD pass, the Bills were lined up in a "power" (i.e, running) formation on first down and sent only one WR (Johnson) out on a route. He was wide open. Is that enough of a "legitimate threat" for ya?

Time to move on.

+1!! Does anybody actually watch the games? :doh:

PTR

PTR

No, they are just like the sports writer's out there. Let's just throw a previously determined opinion of a team's capabilities out there and comment on it without looking at the facts. Remember how god awful the Bills were in the media beginning this season? Now all of the sudden we are the "play every team hard" Bills who "fight to the end." Now you can't go anywhere without hearing THAT statement. Same thing here.

Edited by Van_phelaN1

Time to move on.

Wow...you sure set me straight buddy!!

So...you are disagreeing with my point that having legitimate, multi-dimensional (pass catching/blocking) tight ends would be beneficial to this offense? Did you happen to see how the Patriots offense dismantled the Steelers defense a couple weeks ago? Please, know what you're arguing about before you spout-off like a jerk.

PTR

Yeah, I did watch the game, and that play certainly was the exception to the rule. Let me ask you this, how much production has the Bills offense received from the tight end position this season? Go ahead...look it up.

No, they are just like the sports writer's out there. Let's just throw a previously determined opinion of a team's capabilities out there and comment on it without looking at the facts. Remember how god awful the Bills were in the media beginning this season? Now all of the sudden we are the "play every team hard" Bills who "fight to the end." Now you can't go anywhere without hearing THAT statement. Same thing here.

Well stated....I could almost understand what you wrote. So what exactly did I post that cannot be supported by the stats? Quote my initial post, and then site some stats which illustrate how effective our tight ends are.

IMO, we really need to weed-out these lanky, one-dimensional tight ends all together. We need tight ends who can both block effectively and catch passes. This would add another dimension to our offense. I know, I know....we run a rootin tootin spread offense and have no need for power formations. It would be nice, however, to be able to line up in a power set and be a legitimate threat to throw the ball. Keep the defense honest in those short yardage situations.

Shawn Nelson....too one dimensional.

David Martin....below average blocker, essentially useless as a receiver.

Time to move on.

Kyle Rudolph is this year's combo plate blocker/receiver TE. We'd probably need to trade someone for the pick, as he's likely to go in the #17-27 range. I'm willing to give McKelvin to Baltimore for their RD1. <_< Luke Stocker in RD3 is more do-able.

Edited by Astrobot

Kyle Rudolph is this year's combo plate blocker/receiver TE. We'd probably need to trade someone for the pick, as he's likely to go in the #17-27 range. I'm willing to give McKelvin to Baltimore for their RD1. <_< Luke Stocker in RD3 is more do-able.

Thank you for the cogent post Astrobot. I certainly would love for us to land a guy like Kyle Rudolph, but I doubt it will happen. Your probably right, he won't last until our pick in the second round, and we have to trade back into the first to nab him. We have too many needs to fill for that to happen. I would send McGee off for a pick/trade-up, but I like McLovin's potential too much to let him go.

For what D. Nelson does, he seems to play the role of the tight end in the Bills offense. He never goes deep and just does 5 to 10 yard curls and slants. So people saying that the Bills need to get the tight end more involved, what would the tight end do that David Nelson isn't doing now?

No. He is a WR.

I would like to see us acquire a real multi-purpose TE that does it all.

Edited by Bob in STL