Lee Evans

Jerry Jabber

I'll be honest, I've been an Evans basher and this post is more of the same. After the last few weeks, with the emergence of Steve Johnson, I've been giving credit to Evans for still posing as a threat and getting coverage away from Johnson, D. Nelson & D. Jones. Today, Evans was terrible. Evans couldn't beat single coverage, dropped passes, only had 1 rec for 9 yards, and lost a fumble. While I do give him credit for recovering Jackson's fumble and making key blocks on the Jackson 65 yard TD, I still think the Bills need a better option at the #1 WR position. Evans is getting paid way too much, too be producing the kind of numbers he's getting.

I do like the direction Gailey the offense pointing. I do hope Gailey gets a #1 WR and a pass catching TE. Add in a solid Tackle and I think the Bills will be set on offense. I don't know if Steve Johnson can become that #1 WR next year. Plus, there's also Marcus Easley waiting in the wings, so the Bills have some unknowns still. IMO, I hope Nix trades Evans in the offseason.

I'll be honest, I've been an Evans basher and this post is more of the same. After the last few weeks, with the emergence of Steve Johnson, I've been giving credit to Evans for still posing as a threat and getting coverage away from Johnson, D. Nelson & D. Jones. Today, Evans was terrible. Evans couldn't beat single coverage, dropped passes, only had 1 rec for 9 yards, and lost a fumble. While I do give him credit for recovering Jackson's fumble and making key blocks on the Jackson 65 yard TD, I still think the Bills need a better option at the #1 WR position. Evans is getting paid way too much, too be producing the kind of numbers he's getting.

I do like the direction Gailey the offense pointing. I do hope Gailey gets a #1 WR and a pass catching TE. Add in a solid Tackle and I think the Bills will be set on offense. I don't know if Steve Johnson can become that #1 WR next year. Plus, there's also Marcus Easley waiting in the wings, so the Bills have some unknowns still. IMO, I hope Nix trades Evans in the offseason.

I have all ways been a fan of Evans, due to the fact he has endured so much losing and so much turmoil. But today he looked like a guy playing out the string mostly. The short arms over the middle was less than impressive.

I agree with you about Evans. This hasn't been the first time this season that Evans had only 1 reception in a game. While I think Evans is a very good #2 WR, he's not a true #1 WR. Good points about the offense, a few more playmakers and we'll have one of the best offenses in the league.

With Easley, I hope he turns out to be a good ,instead of a Chad Jackson who only looked good in OTA's & training camp.

I agree with you about Evans. This hasn't been the first time this season that Evans had only 1 reception in a game. While I think Evans is a very good #2 WR, he's not a true #1 WR. Good points about the offense, a few more playmakers and we'll have one of the best offenses in the league.

With Easley, I hope he turns out to be a good ,instead of a Chad Jackson who only looked good in OTA's & training camp.

I for one like Evans and I like the leadership he brings to the team. Never out spoken and alwasy plays hard. It has to be hard on the guy that has been there so long and has never enjoyed a winning season. I don't think they throw him the ball enough and use his speed over the middle. Quick slants, shorter routes and open space is what he needs to use his speed in more ways. Plus I think that Fitz needs to trust him more and give him the rock. How about using him in the end around and stuff like that since roscoe is gone.

I for one like Evans and I like the leadership he brings to the team. Never out spoken and alwasy plays hard. It has to be hard on the guy that has been there so long and has never enjoyed a winning season. I don't think they throw him the ball enough and use his speed over the middle. Quick slants, shorter routes and open space is what he needs to use his speed in more ways. Plus I think that Fitz needs to trust him more and give him the rock. How about using him in the end around and stuff like that since roscoe is gone.

I bet he would have caught that game winner today if it was thrown his way...

That's why i been saying with these younger guys emerging in the passing game & Roscoe doing his thing along with Easley coming back next year we need to trade Evans to another team like Cleveland for a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick to build the team .

But OH NO HE'S TO IMPORTANT TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE TEAM WE NEED HIM TO DRAW COVERAGE AWAY FROM STEVIE kind of like the Marshawn thing oh no don't trade him he's great --this week he has 7 carries for 27 yard BIG WOOP !! rock on Evans fans !!!

I bet he would have caught that game winner today if it was thrown his way...

Looked to me like he had one that was a game winner and e dropped it at the 10 yard line. I didnt see the replay though. Evans had a lousy game, although he did make that huge fumble recovery to make up for his own. And he still draws the safety to him on most plays, allowing the other WRs to get single coverage.

I've felt this way about Evans for a long time now. Fact is he's an average #2 and actually fits into the slot reciever very well. Don't get me wrong, he could be Wes Welker like in the slot. But he's never really proved to be a solid 1 or 2 threat. A good season with JP Losman doing nothing but throwing to Evans deep doesn't do anything for me.

Unfortunately no team in this league (exception Buffalo) is dumb enough to give this guy, or pick up his extremely overpriced contract. I'd take a 4th rounder for him if we could get it. The fact is, we might be able to snag a blue chipper LB for that pick. But I don't see anyone giving us that for Evans only because of his contract. He's not worth it. Look at in fantasy football terms, he was probably taken in the 8th+ round in most leagues. That's not what you want out of your #1. Fortu ately for us, I think Johnson CAN be the #1 we are looking for, and Nelson, Jones look great too. Easley could be a real gamer as well. Obviosly they were high on his play and blocking ability. We might actually be set at WR for Yeats to come with this young group of guys. Get what you can for Evans (if anything) or let him play out his contract and be gone.

I've felt this way about Evans for a long time now. Fact is he's an average #2 and actually fits into the slot reciever very well. Don't get me wrong, he could be Wes Welker like in the slot. But he's never really proved to be a solid 1 or 2 threat. A good season with JP Losman doing nothing but throwing to Evans deep doesn't do anything for me.

Unfortunately no team in this league (exception Buffalo) is dumb enough to give this guy, or pick up his extremely overpriced contract. I'd take a 4th rounder for him if we could get it. The fact is, we might be able to snag a blue chipper LB for that pick. But I don't see anyone giving us that for Evans only because of his contract. He's not worth it. Look at in fantasy football terms, he was probably taken in the 8th+ round in most leagues. That's not what you want out of your #1. Fortu ately for us, I think Johnson CAN be the #1 we are looking for, and Nelson, Jones look great too. Easley could be a real gamer as well. Obviosly they were high on his play and blocking ability. We might actually be set at WR for Yeats to come with this young group of guys. Get what you can for Evans (if anything) or let him play out his contract and be gone.

Wes Welker is a much better route runner, not to mention his field awarness is off the charts. Evans is a phenomenal deep threat with great hands, but other than that, there really isn't too much more to his game.

I dont get all the Evans love, in the last 2-3 years I cannot remember off the top of my head, but i know of atleast 5 times he did not fight for the ball and it was intercepted, Allot more were almost intercepted from his lack off effort going for the ball, if it were not for the money I would say cut him, for those who say he is a leader, what makes you think that? are you in the huddle, the only other way you could tell is leading by example, and for that refer to my first point about lack off effort.

Evans is afraid to get hit. He is necessary to stretch the field, but the way he avoids contact is maddening. He is the anti Hines Ward.

i been saying this for 4 yrs now...

all he does is catch 1 long pass a game and today he didnt even do that....he could have fought better for a couple of balls . i was disappointed in his play...he clearly #2 right now.

i been saying this for 4 yrs now...

all he does is catch 1 long pass a game and today he didnt even do that....he could have fought better for a couple of balls . i was disappointed in his play...he clearly #2 right now.

Most of the other teams #1's can still make more than 1 catch for 9 yards with a fumble and they all get doubled also, so that is no excuse for someone who makes the money he does!

it looks more like chan uses his TEs to block more. so adding a TE might do nothing. he often has 3-4 wrs split outand that removes the TE

Seems to me that our TEs aren't trusted- what has his history been? I know Tony g... What about further back?

I can't understand why everyone is so worried about how much money Evans makes. Its Ralph's money, not yours, and we're way under the cap so everyone needs to stop worrying about what the guy makes.

He's not having a great year, but he's a great receiver and team player who signed a big contract to stay with us and play hard which is what he does as far as I can tell. Every decent receiving corps needs a talented, cool veteran to help the younger guys and to be a leader.

If Gailey put Maybin in street clothes for 5 games, do you think he really cares about Lee's paycheck when he evaluates the offense? He would sit Evans in a second if he thought it would help the team or there was someone better on the bench.

Lee has better hands than #13 thats for sure.

Most of the other teams #1's can still make more than 1 catch for 9 yards with a fumble and they all get doubled also, so that is no excuse for someone who makes the money he does!

Thank you. One of the key traits of a true #1 receiver is his ability to consistently beat double teams.

Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are double-teamed, yet they still are able to put up big numbers.

How often do you think Eric Moulds was double-teamed in his career, yet he found ways to get open.

Evans is a #2 at best.