Merriman, Ellison to IR

FluffHead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For people who cannot understand how the real world works, they will invariably think that when a decision goes bad, it proves that it was a bad decision. But that's not always the case. When a team throws a bomb on third and short, or goes for it on fourth and short and misses in a high risk high reward call. Most people will say, "See? I told you that was a bad decision." Or, as I said "In retrospect" one could say it was a bad decision. But it still could have been a good decision even if it failed. Even when things turn out to not work out, it doesn't automatically prove to be a bad decision. It just means it didn't work out this time, and the next one may. I'm not at all surprised you cannot seem to grasp the concept.

Well put, Kelly. It is astonishing, the number of people who scream for the FO to "do something" but then immediately jump on any decision that does not hit the jackpot.

LOL @ disaster. 1.7 million is peanuts in the NFL. Who cares.

didn't really mean it in a financial sense. I realize the scale of finances in the NFL all too well. I just meant it in the sense of looking at the specific signing. In other words, I grade it an F, not a C. Some would endlessly give the benefit of the doubt and that is their right. I have admittedly been beaten down by 11 years of mostly crap performance from the team. Nix has done some good things but there have been some real turkeys thrown in as well (Cornell Green anyone?).

What, exactly, was the "high reward"? This guy has been injured all year. He was dumped by his team because he was no longer productive. He arrived in obviously poor shape and got injured stepping onto the field.

And this was a bad decision only "in retrospect"?? This represents extremely poor judgement---or at least no due diligence.

Too many people repeat the same nonsense endlessly.

Apparently you skip over all the posts where we demand Nix sign every player cut from another team because we all figure they will have some miraculous renaissance in Buffalo. And of course Nix is stupid or Ralph is cheap when we fail to do so. But when we do what the fans want, then it's a huge mistake??

PTR

didn't really mean it in a financial sense. I realize the scale of finances in the NFL all too well. I just meant it in the sense of looking at the specific signing. In other words, I grade it an F, not a C. Some would endlessly give the benefit of the doubt and that is their right. I have admittedly been beaten down by 11 years of mostly crap performance from the team. Nix has done some good things but there have been some real turkeys thrown in as well (Cornell Green anyone?).

The margin for error in the nfl is so small and if the front office can't see players like Green and Merriman are shot, how can they get it right when other big personnel decions need to

be made?

All joking aside, but RW and the bean counters must be wondering whats going on after these two swing and big misses.

LOL @ disaster. 1.7 million is peanuts in the NFL. Who cares.

I agree. What did we lose? At least they proved they're willing to take a chance and make a move at making the team better. Its not like they chose Merriman over someone else or we missed out on another productive player because we claimed Merriman. If his injury wasnt that bad and he'd suited up and played then everyone is saying how great the move was. The money didnt come out of our pockets and Ralph can more than afford the 1.7......

For people who cannot understand how the real world works, they will invariably think that when a decision goes bad, it proves that it was a bad decision. But that's not always the case. When a team throws a bomb on third and short, or goes for it on fourth and short and misses in a high risk high reward call, most people will say, "See? I told you that was a bad decision." Or, as I said "In retrospect" one could say it was a bad decision. But it still could have been a good decision even if it failed. Even when things turn out to not work out, it doesn't automatically prove to be a bad decision. It just means it didn't work out this time, and the next one may. I'm not at all surprised you cannot seem to grasp the concept.

Well put, Kelly. It is astonishing, the number of people who scream for the FO to "do something" but then immediately jump on any decision that does not hit the jackpot.

Apparently you skip over all the posts where we demand Nix sign every player cut from another team because we all figure they will have some miraculous renaissance in Buffalo. And of course Nix is stupid or Ralph is cheap when we fail to do so. But when we do what the fans want, then it's a huge mistake??

PTR

I agree. What did we lose? At least they proved they're willing to take a chance and make a move at making the team better. Its not like they chose Merriman over someone else or we missed out on another productive player because we claimed Merriman. If his injury wasnt that bad and he'd suited up and played then everyone is saying how great the move was. The money didnt come out of our pockets and Ralph can more than afford the 1.7......

This is not about money. Again, you don' seem to grasp that this particular "bomb" (as you ironically out it, Kelly) represents poor judgement. There was no "high reward" possible with this guy. He hasn't been productive for 3 years. He's injured. He's out of shape. How is it that Nix had not understood this?

Nix famously declared he was going to sleep though free agency. Fans scream "do something" and he brings in guys like Green and Merriman. We're supposed to pat him on the back for "trying to make the team better" with those lame moves?

It (and the draft) gives me the impression that Nix doesn't really know how to build this team. That's my opinion. You guys are fine with all of this, of course.

You would think the fans paid for Merriman's contract - it didn't work out, Ralph lost some loot, such is life. The earth keeps spinning and Fitzmagic's beard keeps growing...

What's up with that beard? At first, I thought he was going for the Dan Fouts look (#14 and all), but now he's starting to cross over into Grizzly Adams territory.

If he gets healthy and we bring him back next year. Good move.

If he stays hobbled and/or goes elsewhere, bad move.

Bad move why? What was lost? The team was bad before and Merriman probably wouldn't have made a ton of difference in that if he had stayed healthy, but regardless they are no worse off than before they signed him.

How did Merriman pass the Physical ? he got hurt 15 minutes into the first practice, not by hit or anything, he is damaged goods. Sure he loves the Bills he got a big paycheck for doing nothing ! Here is a case where we should be able to cut him and pay him just a game check or two and not his whole salary since he was damaged goods.

This is not about money. Again, you don' seem to grasp that this particular "bomb" (as you ironically out it, Kelly) represents poor judgement. There was no "high reward" possible with this guy. He hasn't been productive for 3 years. He's injured. He's out of shape. How is it that Nix had not understood this?

Nix famously declared he was going to sleep though free agency. Fans scream "do something" and he brings in guys like Green and Merriman. We're supposed to pat him on the back for "trying to make the team better" with those lame moves?

It (and the draft) gives me the impression that Nix doesn't really know how to build this team. That's my opinion. You guys are fine with all of this, of course.

Felt a little differently back on November 4th? :rolleyes:

Anyway, this could be interesting/entertaining. He could be the passionate football player that we don't have. This team could use some roid rage!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Everyone knew it was a big risk big reward proposition at the time.

Right now, since he won't play, it appears IN RETROSPECT, to have been a bad decision. That is the nature of high risk high reward. It's no surprise.

If he signs to play next year with the Bills AND plays well, it will be a great decision.

If he plays for the Bills next year and plays mediocre or lousy, it will be a lousy decision.

We still have to see how this plays out.

If I had to bet, it's that he will sign a small incentive based package with another team and never play for the Bills. But I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that Buddy Nix has some agreement with him that has yet to be reported.

Meh. Not really in retrospect. It was pretty well known in most NFL circles that the guy was damaged. He was healthy enough for the Chargers to cut; but, that's like pulling a guy over and him blowing a .079 on a breathalyzer and concluding the guy is completely sober.

Merriman will be back next season.

It wasn't a bad move at all. He will fill a role in the LineBacking Corp. And we need him. Give him the time to heal.

He can't be any worse than what we have at linebacker now.

With Poz, Merriman and a high end draft pick for LineBacker, I think Nix looks very smart next season.

We weren't going to be able to fill all the holes in the draft anyways.

Merriman will be back next season and our defense will be much better becuase of it.

Disaster?

What exactly has the Merriman signing done to set this team back?

Aren't we 2-0 since he hit the practice field for the first time? At worst 2-1? This team did not turn the corner until we signed Shawne. He's a proven winner who immediately changed the culture of the team since signing.

Someone please explain to me what claiming merriman cost the team? A draft pick? No. Tens of millions of dollars? No. a player? No. It cost us exactly 3 weeks of Naaman Roosevelt not on the roster. Oh my. How did ever the Bills get along without Roosevelt on roster?

Also, someone please explain why the Bills are idiots for doing so, yet the fins and Buccs also had claims in too.