Jairus Byrd

jscap

After Byrd was benched Sunday, Wilson came in and made a huge play in the endzone. George Wilson is like the defenses Fitzpatrick: Not a high draft pick, maybe not the most athlectic, but always seems to make some big plays. So going into the Steelers game is Wilson the starter? Byrd seems like he's a step behind and seems to be out of position on a lot of plays.

After Byrd was benched Sunday, Wilson came in and made a huge play in the endzone. George Wilson is like the defenses Fitzpatrick: Not a high draft pick, maybe not the most athlectic, but always seems to make some big plays. So going into the Steelers game is Wilson the starter? Byrd seems like he's a step behind and seems to be out of position on a lot of plays.

I think Byrd isn't fully healthy. I like George though. I would start him and work Byrd in.

Jairus is not finding the transition to everything Edwards was installing in their defensive packages to be trivial, like it was last year. He's basically going through his rookie growing pains now.

I agree with you.

George Wilson, though, might be one of my more favorite players. He is skilled, can perform well and I hope we can keep him on the roster. I do not know when his contract is up but it could be a situation like Greer or Leonard. I put a little more value in Wilson than I do Byrd at this time. They are both good but are apples and oranges. Byrd is having trouble getting the ball this year. Wilson is adapting well and should play often.

Not only was he not a high draft pick, fugger didn't even play DEFENSE.

I love what Byrd did last year, but I'm a believer in going with the hot hand, and right now George is the playmaker.

Wilson has good instincts. He should be on the field as much as possible

I like Byrd but George Wilson proved last year he deserves PT and is proving again he deserves PT.

It's probably Byrd that should be put in situationally, obvious passing down where Byrd can ball hawk, and put George for the rest of the game.

But that's just my opinion.

BTW.

Checkout the George Wilson foundation. It seems like a great concept for a charity.

Wilson has 1 interception and he's "hot" and a "playmaker" ???????? I like what Wilson brings on D but...LOL @ some of you guys. Give me a break.

Also...on T.O.'s touchdown...Why the hell were we playing zone when the Bungles were inside the 5? McKelvin released T.O. and Byrd didn't get there in time. It makes no sense to me at all that we didn't just man up...wallbash.gif

Edited by cantankerous

C'mon guys, let's be real.

He just never was that good to begin with. A lot of those interceptions were flukey tipped balls or terrible overthrows. He got named to the Pro Bowl on the back of misrepresentative statistics.

He's having a terrible season. Perhaps it's the scheme. Perhaps it's a health issue.

It's probably a combination of these things coupled with the fact he was overhyped.

Hopefully he is able to just find a productive middle ground and become a reliable starter for this team.

Right now it seems like it could go either way.

Wilson has 1 interception and he's "hot" and a "playmaker" ???????? I like what Wilson brings on D but...LOL @ some of you guys. Give me a break.

Well, compared to what Byrd is doing....lol

I hope that Byrd's play this year is explained by his health, but I said even last year that I thought he was overrated. I still think so, but again I hope I'm wrong.

What is killing the secondary is a inherent lack of pass rush this year. Last year they had a semblance of PR due to the presence of Schoebel and that resulted in some risks being taken by our secondary and the extra INTs. This year has been a different story. The opponents have been able to run the ball and convert on 3rd and longs due to a lack of pass rush. The pass rush has improved significantly over the past few games and hopefully the INTs will continue to come.

What is killing the secondary is a inherent lack of pass rush this year. Last year they had a semblance of PR due to the presence of Schoebel and that resulted in some risks being taken by our secondary and the extra INTs. This year has been a different story. The opponents have been able to run the ball and convert on 3rd and longs due to a lack of pass rush. The pass rush has improved significantly over the past few games and hopefully the INTs will continue to come.

I agree with this assessment.

Edwards has been more aggressive calling blitzes the last few games and has taken Kelsay out of pass coverage and put him back into pass rush and both have obviously led to more pressure.

Wilson got a pick in triple coverage of TO. That was just a horrible decision by Palmer.

A few more turnovers a game will lead to more Ws. That was sorrely missing through the first 6 games.

Byrd got lucky last year being in the right place for bad passes. He hasn't this year. He made a name on "ball hawking", as a safety he needs to do more than just catch badly thrown passes, imo.

Playing Delhomme and Sanchez helped out a lot too.

I like Byrd but I was worried about a drop in production coming into this season.

I think he got 4-5 picks in those 2 games alone.

George Wilson is fundamentally a much more sound player.

Thats why I say keep Wilson in for most of the game and put Byrd in and let him Ball Hawk.

INTs are extremely valuable if you have a Ball Hawk let him Ball Hawk.

I'd say Byrd made his own luck, its something you have a feel for.

Let him follow his instincts a few plays a game and see if he can grab a few INTs.