Phillips / Childress Fired... Singletary on Last Legs

cage

Who would have thought that after 10 weeks... Bills fans would be a more optimistic bunch than fans of the Cowboys, Vikings and 49ers, all forecast as playoff teams... WOW!

Who'da thunk TSW would go from non-stop, rampant negativity to raging optimism is 24 hours? :wacko:

Must be something that happened

- as I've said, Bills fans are a fickle bunch.

Who'da thunk TSW would go from non-stop, rampant negativity to raging optimism is 24 hours? :wacko:

Must be something that happened

- as I've said, Bills fans are a fickle bunch.

All fans are fickle. A few weeks ago everyone here in Philly wanted Reid fired. Now their in 1st and a SB contender.

Must be something that happened yesterday - as I've said, Bills fans are a fickle bunch.

What are you talking about?

We don't have a bona fide #1 QB

We don't have a bona fide #1 WR

We don't have a bona fide #1 TE

Maybin is a total bust

Kelsay doesn't earn his keep

The OL is full of smoke and mirrors

We lost out on the #1 pick in the draft

Ralph's cheap

Nix is clueless

And, the smileys don't work right. mad.gif

lol

:beer:

PS - note the craptacular post directly below.

Edited by Nanker

What are you talking about?

We don't have a bona fide #1 QB

We don't have a bona fide #1 WR

We don't have a bona fide #1 TE

Maybin is a total bust

Kelsay doesn't earn his keep

The OL is full of smoke and mirrors

We lost out on the #1 pick in the draft

Ralph's cheap

Nix is clueless

And, the smileys don't work right. mad.gif

lol

:beer:

PS - note the craptacular post directly below.

We're going to find out in the Steelers game.

I wonder why Chan's job is secure if those guys are getting fired with similar records...

Is this a serious post? Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Phillips and Childress had several years to implement their system and failed, whereas Gailey is arguably overachieving with the scraps left behind by Jauron?

Is this a serious post? Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Phillips and Childress had several years to implement their system and failed, whereas Gailey is arguably overachieving with the scraps left behind by Jauron?

That said, I think it's an interesting state of the sport when a coach takes his team to within one game of the Super Bowl, only to be fired half way through the following season.

That said, I think it's an interesting state of the sport when a coach takes his team to within one game of the Super Bowl, only to be fired half way through the following season.

Agreed, though I think this was a unique circumstance in regards to Chilly. According to most sources, he had completely lost control of his team. When that happens, there's only one solution.

Jauron got more wins out of those scraps.

Chan has gotten more effort and emotion from those scraps.

Everyone seems very happy with Chan, even though we are doing worse. A lot of us expected to improve on our last couple seasons, not get worse.

BUT, that being said... We seem to be turning around. So maybe its a "we'll get worse before we get better" thing. Either way, I agree, he needs time... but the excuse of having the players that Jauron had, isn't really one that makes sense to me.

Everyone seems very happy with Chan, even though we are doing worse. A lot of us expected to improve on our last couple seasons, not get worse.

BUT, that being said... We seem to be turning around. So maybe its a "we'll get worse before we get better" thing. Either way, I agree, he needs time... but the excuse of having the players that Jauron had, isn't really one that makes sense to me.

They won those games despite Jauron.

When you implement a brand new system on offense AND defense, it doesn't sink in by Week 3. So, it has to be a "we'll get worse before we get better" thing. I admit that I was optimistic before Week 1 and naive to think that this team will finally turn around right away. But when you have time to look back at 10 games and realize what seemed to happen, it makes more sense that it took this long (presuming they're on the right track).

Agreed, though I think this was a unique circumstance in regards to Chilly. According to most sources, he had completely lost control of his team. When that happens, there's only one solution.

Okay, look, people need to drop this "Chilly" stuff. It sounds stupid. In fact, the only way to make it sound less stupid is to report that his firing was announced during a Vikings presser on Chilly.

Our offense now compared to Jauron's is night and day. As far as defense goes, we went from a vanilla soft zone, undersized Tampa 2 to a defense that plays much more man coverage and requires more physically powerful men up front than what we had. If you've paid attention a lot more is being asked of the players on D than previous. Man coverage and bump'n run are where our DBs are getting beat bad. A far different set of skills than what was required playing 10 yards off in zone even when we blitzed. The Giants game last night is a good example of the previous philosophy of playing a mile off even when you send the house on a blitz. This year is a whole new world for our secondary. Byrd is a good example of a player that played fairly well as a rookie in zone coverage almost exclusively just to struggle now when he has to do man coverage. When your singled up you don't get to sit back and watch the QB's eyes to try to jump a route. Let's not forget that even though they play more 4-3 now that it's still a 2 gap system that they are playing in.

Its also Gailey's first year. Baring player revolution you always give a guy 2 seasons before you fire him. Gailey has progressed this team because the offense can score (Steve Johnson and Fitz's development are key plus improved play from the O-line helps) and they are instilling a new defensive scheme (With not much success but they are still switching schemes). So yeah the record isn't pretty but if you watch the team its a lot better then it seems.

All in all Gailey needs to make this team play well down the stretch and have a good draft and he will set this team up for success next season.