What has shaped your political beliefs?

This is a bit of a vague topic so feel free to run with it, but I don't think we have really ever had a thread specifically on this topic, so...

What has shaped your political beliefs to where you are today?

Were there any events in your life, family, friends, realizations, experiences that has lead you to your sets of beliefs now?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being raised by great parents (mother coming to this country when she was little) who worked their butts off for GM so that my brother and I could go to college. They made sure that we understood why we HAD to have great work ethics and always continue our education. All of that being said, I truly believe that Republicans could give two craps about the middle-class or lower and that for years neither party knows how to work with the other. Things need to change.

If my political beliefs are a stew, the broth is Ayn Rand. But being intractable as her is impractical so the rest are pieces of compromise learned over time. (And still learning.)

BTW, my political beliefs attributed to her is one thing. Her personal philosophy of selfishness is something I can't relate to in any way.

If my political beliefs are a stew, the broth is Ayn Rand. But being intractable as her is impractical so the rest are pieces of compromise learned over time. (And still learning.)

BTW, my political beliefs attributed to her is one thing. Her personal philosophy of selfishness is something I can't relate to in any way.

Ayn Rand rocks!

Anthem

Live for yourself...there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song

Getting out of upstate NY and realizing everyday that not everyone had an upbringing similar to mine - doesn't make them bad people, just people with different expereinces. If you see the same old stuff every single day you get no appreciation for how big and broad life really is.

Ayn Rand rocks!

Anthem

Live for yourself...there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song

And you wonder why our politicians and system is in the abyss.

I think people are forgetting what "citizenship" means. Considering Rand's upbringing no wonder it was lost on her.