Harbaugh/Kelly Grudge

stony

Cowher will be in Carolina.

According to one of the talking heads, on ESPN (can't remember if it was Schein or Clayton) there is very little chance that Cowher will go to Carolina...apparently, the Panthers are not looking to spend big dollars on a coach...Chicago seems like another possible desitination...the Chicago speculation is me!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in a hotel for pre game interviews.

Probably another reason, besides the talking like he has marbles in his mouth, that Jim Kelly was never successful with a cross over to the booth.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-746436.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/05/sports/pro-football-the-new-line-on-harbaugh-he-has-a-line.html

so let me get this straight, Kelly calls him soft, guy gets angry, guy punches Kelly in the head defending his toughness, guy breaks his own hand

scoring here at home, i'd say game, set, match Kelly...this fool would have been better off not doing anything

so let me get this straight, Kelly calls him soft, guy gets angry, guy punches Kelly in the head defending his toughness, guy breaks his own hand

scoring here at home, i'd say game, set, match Kelly...this fool would have been better off not doing anything

This is exactly why he still holds the grudge!

It wasn't some little thing, Kelly basically called him a coward and a wimp and the guy tried to defend his honor and HURT HIMSELF TRYING TO PUNCH JIM.

That is total humiliation, and was about the last notable thing Harbaugh did in the NFL.

For some people, being publicly stripped of your manhood like that is enough to hold a grudge to the grave.

i say the incident factors more in the "so your buddy who played for him thought he was an a-hole, half the team will" argument.

well that's true (to an extent, the truly great coaches are generally beloved across the roster), i'd say the guy who punches jim kelly in a hotel lobby during a media event...that guy's an a-hole.

It wasn't some little thing, Kelly basically called him a coward and a wimp and the guy tried to defend his honor and HURT HIMSELF TRYING TO PUNCH JIM.

That is total humiliation, and was about the last notable thing Harbaugh did in the NFL.

For some people, being publicly stripped of your manhood like that is enough to hold a grudge to the grave.

It is kind of funny.

WTF was Harbaugh thinking?

You are QB in the NFL, your hands are very important to you, maybe try Kicking Jimbo in the balls instead.

Its like when you see WRs punch a CB's helmet, WTF? You make millions of dollars by using your hands to catch, don't bash them on a hard service.

He basically ended his own career because he couldn't take criticism by a color commentator.

Real genius coaching material.

What a retarded statement, yeah i am sure if this kid is taken #1 and becomes financially set for life his father will be grossly upset. Stick to kissing Kobe, Jeter and Tigers ass Colin, that is all you know how to do.

Some of you guys have your head so far up your ass when it comes to the Bills it isn't funny. While I'm wondering if Luck actually feels that way, it most certainly can happen.

Was Eli Manning drafted first by the Chargers? Would he have played for them? No. It's not far fetched to think Luck won't come out if he doesn't want to play for the Bills. He has that option because he's a sophomore. Manning didn't have that option because he was a senior. He did make it known though, that he woudln't report to San Diego, and already had a trade forced to NY on draft day.

This really isn't far fetched on Luck's part. Harbaugh probably hates the Bills. There is no certainty in that, but it's probably true. Oliver Luck, with his pro connections probably knows the Bills are a mess. Or at least, people feed that info to him. So, it's not far fetched to think Luck wouldn't come out if Buffalo picks first.

It happens.

So then we still Draft Luck then Make Carolina Pay out of there @$$ to get him. Their first and second rd picks this year and their first and second next year, and if they dont like it, then tough $#!%, guess we keep Luck

I like Buddy Nix and all....but the "Count" seems like a solid GM to me. I agree 100%. If we get that first pick and somebody wants it.. the Bills better take this type of approach.

I also work w/ a guy who played for Harbaugh at San Diego and said that although he is definitely a hardass and he in fact hates the man, that he will and I quote, "go down as the greatest coach in the history of pro football."

That's a silly statement to make. He's not even a great college coach yet, if ever.

According to one of the talking heads, on ESPN (can't remember if it was Schein or Clayton) there is very little chance that Cowher will go to Carolina...apparently, the Panthers are not looking to spend big dollars on a coach...Chicago seems like another possible desitination...the Chicago speculation is me!

Well if that's the case, then why would Harbaugh want to go there? They are a team truly bereft of talent and the owner wants to go cheap on a HC. But the weather is nice.

That's a silly statement to make. He's not even a great college coach yet, if ever.

Well if that's the case, then why would Harbaugh want to go there? They are a team truly bereft of talent and the owner wants to go cheap on a HC. But the weather is nice.

The weather is NOT that nice I can promise you that...It's hot and humid as hell in the Summer, and Summer lasts 6 Months...There is almost never a breeze until there is a massive thunderstorm about, which happens almost every night in the Summer...Then you get 3 Hours of Prime Time TV Tornado warnings... :wallbash:...It's crazy...I've been here for 20 years now and I can't wait to get the hell out and go back Home...Charlotte is WAY overrated as a City IMHO... B-)

I don't remember much about what JK allegedly said to irk Harbaugh, but I do remember Harbaugh was an INCREDIBLY frustrating player to watch. He would CONSTANTLY push the limits on intentional grounding, and every time it happened it was with two guys draped around him after he'd backpedaled 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Then he'd hoist himself up with a tremendous (and quite melodramatic) effort, and repeat. I thought he was a clown and his career revival was a bit of a fraud. But having said that, what he's done in a short period of time at Stanford is pretty close to miraculous. And that is considering he isn't all that great while the game is going on.

Not to defend Harbaugh, but I broke my hand on a guy's face one time, and I don't think anyone who saw us the next day would say he got the better end of it.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I can see Harbaugh holding a grudge (questioning a football players toughness is a major "no-no"), but not so much that Luck would pass up on the chance to be the first pick in the NFL draft, if the Bills were to pick him. And why would Lucks' father hate the Bills organization so much? Did I miss something there? Or, is it one of those Archie Manning not wanting Eli to go to San Diego, because they were a bad franchise, type of things?

Yeah, and prior to picking Peyton, in the 14 history of Indianapolis they had six seasons with double digit losses and zero seasons of double digit wins. And it was a small town without much going on.

And in two decades before picking up Brett Favre for the 1992 season Green Bay had one double digit winning season and eight double digit loss seasons. And it was a small town without much else going on.

If Luck really is that HOF type QB, I don't think trying to stay away from Buffalo makes any sense. He can help elevate whatever team he goes to (and #1 QBs don't usually go to powerhouses).

And you can't fault Eli landing with the Giants, but Rivers has ended up with a pretty great situation after Archie thinking San Diego was pretty bleak and to be avoided.

But I think he will stay in school and we won't be picking #1 either, so it will likely be a moot point. We obviously don't pass on him if he is available at our pick in 2010 and probably not in 2011 (although going that far in QB projections gets you in to the Claussen/Quinn/Locker future #1 pick territory).

Yeah, just like Jim Everett went after Jim Rome. Whose corner were you in then? C'mon, the guy stood up for himself. Kelly can be a tool sometimes. Just because I love the team and him for all the great memories of the 90s, doesn't mean I can't be objective about his behavior.

Yeah, just like Jim Everett went after Jim Rome. Whose corner were you in then? C'mon, the guy stood up for himself. Kelly can be a tool sometimes. Just because I love the team and him for all the great memories of the 90s, doesn't mean I can't be objective about his behavior.

It was obviously the wrong time and place

Not to defend Harbaugh, but I broke my hand on a guy's face one time, and I don't think anyone who saw us the next day would say he got the better end of it.

If I remember correctly, Kelly was on TV the very next day. Showed no signs whatsoever of getting hit. If it's all true, that dude has a VERY hard head.

Harbaugh shoulda known not to mess with one of the toughest QBs to ever play the game...

I like Buddy Nix and all....but the "Count" seems like a solid GM to me. I agree 100%. If we get that first pick and somebody wants it.. the Bills better take this type of approach.

Thanks, I think that is the first compliment i have received on this board yet. Most just call me a dumbass or a jackass. . .