Why can't Fitz be the face of the franchise?

I regularly read the Buffalo Rumblings blog on SB Nation, and I enjoy their insightful analysis. However, reading the comments sections of a recent article, one of the mods claimed that Fitzpatrick just doesn't have it in him to be a franchise QB.

My question is, why not? Yes, there are things he needs to work on, but he's well-respected and is a true leader on the field (just watch him try and throw blocks down field). He really seems to be thriving in Gailey's system and has great rapport with his receivers. At this point in the season he's projected to finish with about 25 TDs and 12.5 interceptions. He's able to make plays with his feet and has a good handle of reading the field.

I like it even from a marketing standpoint. The smart, tough, scrappy Fitzpatrick would be an awesome angle for the Bills, something we could really embrace as an identity, especially considering Buffalo's blue-collar populace.

This is all variable on Fitzpatrick playing at his current rate, and to be honest, it is hard to see him continue on pace to do so well with some really tough defenses coming down the stretch. However, if he does keep it up, he's earned himself at least a shot at another year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The long and the short of it is that there is no reason. Well, other than "I want Luck."

Fitzy needs to get some W's. If we aren't going to get the first pick, which is unlikely, let's get some !@#$ing W's so I can feel better about Fitz.

I would also like to see us win a game, or two, going away. Show me that you know how to put the foot on their throat, and end a game in the 3rd Qtr.

Fitzy is the face of our franchise right now...ask any of the players. It is just a 1-8 franchise.

I love what Fitz has done this tear.

But it has become obvious that he cannot make the big throw in crunch time.

Sunday it was underthrowing Johnson after the DB fell down. The pass was so underthrown, he couldn't get back on it. He has thrown bad picks in the 4th and just missed guys. Great job for three quarters, tends to come apart in the 4th.

In other words, not quite good enough.

Fitz has the heart of a lion and def has the brain to succeed....he just doesn't have the physical gifts to back it up. Misses too many of the big throws that win ballgames.

Still not buying this one. I saw him make many throws to win games last year when we had a defense and TO.

This year he made enough throws to win the Ravens game. Not his fault Nelson fumbled. Made enough to win the Cheifs game. Not his fault the kicker missed a very makable FG. He made enough passes to get us to OT against Bears if our kicker hadn't missed a PAT.

QB can't win it on his own. Fitz is playing very well and is getting better.

It's way too early to close the book on Fitz and label him as the guy who can't win the big one.

I did see Jim Kelly blow some late by throwing picks etc to lose close games. I've also seen Brett Favre do it.

Jerking QBs out of the starting lineup and not letting them learn is what we've been doing for the last 5 years. Where has it gotten us?

yep, there's still some games to be played yet. who knows, they may stick w/ Fitz for awile, IF he plays well down the stretch, and IF luck is not available to us in draft (or another QB they see as franchise QB).

There are some highly-rated D-linemen that we could use in our first pick too!

Thing about Fitz you have to analyze is 1- Are his numbers inflated a bit by the fact that we are usually down and have to pass a lot? 2- Can the guy light it up against another really good D like he did against the Ravens or was that just a one time thing? 3- Is the feeling that if you improve the talent around him his performance will improve?

All in all I like Fitz and I think you still have to see how he plays over the course of the next 7 games. So far so good but I think there needs to be a larger sample size in order to make a conclusion about Fitz.

I regularly read the Buffalo Rumblings blog on SB Nation, and I enjoy their insightful analysis. However, reading the comments sections of a recent article, one of the mods claimed that Fitzpatrick just doesn't have it in him to be a franchise QB.

My question is, why not? Yes, there are things he needs to work on, but he's well-respected and is a true leader on the field (just watch him try and throw blocks down field). He really seems to be thriving in Gailey's system and has great rapport with his receivers. At this point in the season he's projected to finish with about 25 TDs and 12.5 interceptions. He's able to make plays with his feet and has a good handle of reading the field.

I like it even from a marketing standpoint. The smart, tough, scrappy Fitzpatrick would be an awesome angle for the Bills, something we could really embrace as an identity, especially considering Buffalo's blue-collar populace.

This is all variable on Fitzpatrick playing at his current rate, and to be honest, it is hard to see him continue on pace to do so well with some really tough defenses coming down the stretch. However, if he does keep it up, he's earned himself at least a shot at another year.

i like the mental patient look the beard gives him.so sure -he should be the face of the buffalo bills.it fits the quality of our mgmt.

Fitz has the heart of a lion and def has the brain to succeed....he just doesn't have the physical gifts to back it up. Misses too many of the big throws that win ballgames.

I'm not going to stop pounding this drum:

Do big plays only happen in the fourth quarter? Does he not make big plays on third down throughout the games? If he has the physical tools then, how is it they suddenly disappear when he has to make what you call "big plays." I contend he makes big plays throughout every contest.

So since he HAS proven he has the physical tools to make plays, is it not a mental thing in the clutch?

And if that's the case, by your own admission he has the "brain to succeed" so won't he eventually overcome the mental hurdles keeping him from making the SAME big plays at the ends of games??

Please somebody address this. I'm sick of making this point only to have another dolt come along and say "oh, he doesn't have the physical tools."

Somebody please refute the point I've just made. PLEASE. Anybody.

Sunday it was underthrowing Johnson after the DB fell down. The pass was so underthrown, he couldn't get back on it. He has thrown bad picks in the 4th and just missed guys. Great job for three quarters, tends to come apart in the 4th.

This is horse crap. How do you think we got to overtime in Baltimore and KC? :doh:

PTR

Fitz is fine to be the middle of the road 7-10 win guy but if you ever want to make some noise in the playoffs vs the top teams, those wide open receivers need to be hit with consistency. Even if there are only a couple big throws he misses a game, it will be enough to keep this team from the next level......

YES he should be, he can get better with some work and the right o line. We dont need Luck or another college QB coming in and set us back another couple of years. There is no guarantee that one would be or could be the franchise qb. So why not give him a chance? bring in a qb on draft and let him learn the system first. Youve got to really look that the qb's that are out there are slim pickins on. THINK ABOUT IT

That throw that was short to Stevie J was after somebody stepped on the dudes hand. I would imagine it's bad enough just to have to throw with 300 & something lb guys wanting to take your head off but if you've been stepped on and the most important part of being able to throw is being able to grip the ball with your hand.

I think although it sucked that it came up short you can scratch that one from the list !!!! :oops:

That throw that was short to Stevie J was after somebody stepped on the dudes hand. I would imagine it's bad enough just to have to throw with 300 & something lb guys wanting to take your head off but if you've been stepped on and the most important part of being able to throw is being able to grip the ball with your hand.

I think although it sucked that it came up short you can scratch that one from the list !!!! :oops:

Stevie could and should have made that play, too.